Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Public Challenge to Nick Savastano (Read 34353 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

A Public Challenge to Nick Savastano
Jan 31st, 2003 at 1:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In a recent interview, polygraph operator Nick Savastano, who performs for NBC's "Meet My Folks" television program, claims that polygraph "experts" can "catch" polygraph countermeasures. Andrea Shuman interviewed Savastano for a 16 Jan. 2003 Reality News Online article titled "Interview with Meet My Folks' Polygraph Expert Nick Savastano":

Quote:
Andrea: Is there any way for a subject to prepare for a polygraph? Can someone beat the machine?

Nick: There are dozens of websites out there that talk about counter-measures you can use, like tightening certain muscles, using drugs or alcohol, biting your lip, putting a tack in your shoe, things like that. But experts not only know all these counter-measures; we also know how to catch them.

If a polygraph expert spots a counter-measure, all we do is turn off the machine and say, "This test is over. You are attempting to give the machine an inaccurate reading, so I have no choice but to conclude all your answers are false." That pulls the rug out from under them very quickly.

But despite Mr. Savatano's assertion, no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to reliably detect the kinds of countermeasures described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. In addition, peer-reviewed research suggests that even experienced polygraphers cannot detect such countermeasures.

Challenge to Nick Savastano: demonstrate your claimed ability to detect countermeasures by accepting Dr. Drew C. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge.

(Mr. Savastano has been notified of this challenge by e-mail to amherst@pe.net.)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2003 at 4:17pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: A Public Challenge to Nick Savastano
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2003 at 2:49pm
Mr. Savastano would be a great asset to our federal government it would appear.  I am amazed that he can detect what other polygraph examiners cannot
When I agreed to sit for a polygraph under certain conditions, the request was withdrawn after it became evident that I was familiar with Antipolygraph.org and The Lie Behind The Lie Detector.  
The first thing said to me after I presented my conditions and made my knowledge of the polygraph art known, was that I certainly must be trained in countermeasures by now, and that a polygraph would be a waste of valuable time and resources.  If countermeasures can be detected, then I would hope the federal government could afford to employ these great mystics and help put an end to espionage -- at least.
*waves to you, my elusive polygraph examiner who also declined to let me sit in his little box -- nice to know you read this site as well as your other buddies over at Parham Road*
Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2003 at 4:58pm
I've notified Mr. Savastano of this challenge through the following e-mail message, which I copied to Andrea Shulman and Dr. Richardson:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Savastano,

In a recent interview with Andrea Shulman of RealityNewsOnline, you claimed that you can catch polygraph countermeasures. I'm a co-founder of AntiPolygraph.org (http://antipolygraph.org), a non-profit, public interest websited dedicated to exposing and ending polygraph waste, fraud, and abuse. We make a free book available called The Lie Behind the Lie Detector that explains in detail how to beat a polygraph "test":

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Despite your claim to Ms. Shulman, no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to reliably detect polygraph countermeasures of the kind described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. In fact, peer-reviewed research suggests that even experienced polygraphers cannot detect such countermeasures.

This being the case, I challenge you to support your claim to be able to catch countermeasures by accepting Dr. Drew C. Richardson's longstanding polygraph countermeasure challenge, details of which you will find here:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc&action=display&num=10...

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org

PS: this message has been copied to Ms. Shulman and to Dr. Richardson, and will be posted on AntiPolygraph.org here:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy&action=display&num=...

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Theodore P. Ponticelli

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2003 at 4:13am
I was Savastano's instructor in the use of the polygraph, and anything you wish to know concerning polygraph and Savastano's ethices, write me at my Email: CPC187@aol.com

Theodore P. Ponticelli, Ph.D

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2003 at 7:25am

Quote:

I was Savastano's instructor in the use of the polygraph, and anything you wish to know concerning polygraph and Savastano's ethices, write me at my Email: CPC187@aol.com

Theodore P. Ponticelli, Ph.D

Where does Mr. Savastano stand on the issue of getting other people to defend his public statements? Just wondering,

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2003 at 3:50pm
Mr. Ponticelli,

Being that you are a former DoDPI instructor (see biosketch at end of the following link, http://www.justicedenied.org/thetruthaboutpolygraph.htm) and Mr. Savastano's admitted mentor, this message board audience might well be interested in your impressions of his circus clown performances arranged for television and orchestrated complete with polygraph accompaniment (I suppose my impression is no longer a secret  Grin ).  Would you care to comment and also mind sharing what field your doctorate is in, where it was obtained, and the title of your dissertation (all not included in the aforementioned biosketch)?  Regards...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 1:14am
Just for the record, I did some checking with knowledgeable sources.  Mr. Ponticelli MAY have been a member of the faculty of what was the U.S. Army Polygraph School which was at one time located at Fort Gordon, GA; however, according to my sources was NEVER a faculty member of the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute from the time of it's inception at Fort McClellan, AL in 1986. Perhaps to need to ask Mr. P to clarify this statement. It is probably an important issue.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 2:29am
Guest,

Whether Mr. Ponticelli was connected with DoDPI or the United States Army Military Police School (USAMPS) that contained the previous DoD polygraph school probably has little bearing on his knowledge/commentary regarding Mr. Savastano and his activities.  I don't even see it as potentially being an inflated credentials issue (having been an instructor at one is not much different than having been an instructor at the other) as might be the case with the questions raised (and presumably still not answered) regarding the nature of Ed Gelb's doctorate degree.  It, however, would make one question whether Mr. Ponticelli actually prepared the biosketch which was at the end of the document I placed a link too, and, if so, cause one to wonder why the inattention to detail that such an error would indicate.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MS

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2003 at 11:54am
Hey all,
being former military, one of the most prominent parts of my training was training to beat the polygraph.

To date, I have beaten the polygraph 6 times.

Its not hard at all.

So this dude and his thumbs up his butt on meet the parents is a complete dork.

JMO

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box propoilyman

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2003 at 5:50am

Thats really sounds nice for this site. I am kind of curious. What type of work do you , besides read and post on here, that would require you to take six tests?
I doubt you will answer or if even Wittle george will have the guts to leave this post stand.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2003 at 7:43am
Quote:

Thats really sounds nice for this site. I am kind of curious. What type of work do you , besides read and post on here, that would require you to take six tests?
I doubt you will answer or if even Wittle george will have the guts to leave this post stand.

Damned funny.  I read and post on here, and I can't get anyone to put me in the box!  As a matter of fact, my association with this site has led the federal law enforcement/intelligence agencies to quickly run and hide when it comes to the polygraph issue.  I would readily sit for six or more tests if those boys over at Parham Road in Richmond, VA ( or any of their other pals with the other agencies ) would get out from under their beds ( where they hide in hopes that I will not see them and call them out ) and step up to the plate when I ask them to polygraph me.

How about you, Propolyman?  You willing to put me in your box?   

I haven't had the great fortune of being able to demonstrate that I can beat a polygraph, but I am game.

Then again, I quit playing with Slinky's because they were junk toys that ended up becoming entangled after about 5 times of use, and we all know that the polygraph doesn't stand up to even that amount of play time.

Roll Eyes
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2003 at 10:48am
Quote:

Propolyman,

I am assuming that "propoilyman" was a typographical error, and not related to the lisp you evinced in calling me "Wittle george." Wink

Although this may be a novel concept to you, AntiPolygraph.org's message board is uncensored. All points of view are welcome, even yours. Feel free to register on this message board if you like -- this will enable you to edit your posts if you make mistakes, to exchange private messages with other registered users, and to optionally receive e-mail notification when replies are posted to message threads in which you've posted.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Teddi k

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2003 at 3:58pm
Let's think about this....if man has created it,then man can defeat it.....and the polygraph is no exception.
The impossible is becoming forever possible day by day...
In a few years from now, successfully beating the polygraph will become public knowledge....
How hard is it to forge a bank cheque from the 1950's...pretty easy........why?...because of 2 things....learning and technology.....learning is always a step ahead of technology because it is required to invent new technology in the first place...So.,even if new technology for the polygraph is invented,then man's ability or enthusiasm to defeat it will come first.
Enough philosohy said!
teddi k

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2003 at 5:07pm
Teddy k,

So true. I recall some years ago when Sony or somebody like them announced a "new" technology to scramble VHS video signals to prevent copying. Within a week, and before the technology made it into the first VCR, a group of students announced that they had created a small circuit board from off the shelf parts at Radio Shack to defeat it. The whole thing was scrapped.
In today's world no technology is safe for more than a few months.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2003 at 7:30pm
Orolan,

You write in part:

Quote:
In today's world no technology is safe for more than a few months.

But quackery such as polygraph "testing" can survive for very long periods of time.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

A Public Challenge to Nick Savastano

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X