Normal Topic Oil Shortage (Read 3323 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Oil Shortage
Jan 31st, 2003 at 8:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
There are a lot of folks who don't understand why we have an oil shortage here in the USA. There is a simple answer. No one bothered to check the oil. We just didn't know we were getting low. The reason is purely geographical. All of the oil is in Alaska, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, etc. and all the dipsticks are in Washington D.C.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: Oil Shortage
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2003 at 5:14pm
How true your words are. But we don't have an oil shortage. We have "A possible situation that may impact the ability to obtain sufficient amounts of Middle East crude oil to maintain profits at current levels." This was told to me by an oil executive (retired), who was head of Research and Exploration for ARCO prior to the BP buyout. Prior to that position he was head of ARCO-Alaska, which happens to control the entire Prudhoe Bay oil field. He says there is plenty of oil there, but Middle East crude is more profitable.
It's all about cashflow, not oilflow. Note also that at the accepted conversion rate of 3 barrels of crude to 2 barrels of gasoline (a barrel being 42 gallons), a $2.00/barrel increase in the cost of crude works out to a $.07/gal increase in the cost of gasoline. But I bet you'll see the pump price going up at least $.12/gal.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2003 at 7:51pm
Orolan

There has NEVER been an oil shortage. During the first "so called" shortage that occured in 1973, I believe, I was in the oil business. I personally checked many product storage tanks and every damn one was topped off with refined gasoline and diesel. I observed abandoned service station tanks being filled with refined product. When I questioned the tank truck driver, I was warningly told to mind my own DAMN business.

There were two reasons for the "conspriatorial shortage". 1. The oil companies wanted deregulation. 2. They wanted the Alaska pipeline. Both had been turned down. When they created the shortage, the dipstick idiots in Washington D.C. went along and they were able to appease both the oil companies and the environmentalist to some extent. Big oil had accomplished both of their objectives

Anyone who says this insn't so, is a liar. I was there. I personally know the oil companies had gasoline running out of their ears.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confusednow
New User

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 8:34am
Since I am familair with the oil industry let me venture my view:

Oil companies does not have "gasoline coming out of their ears"....it is just not true.  The USA is always short gasoline due to the limited number of refineries...they can only produce X amount.

I will concede that oil companies have no incentive to build addional refineries.

Legaslatation/reulation aimed at polution etc also helps them as it provides a convenient excuse for not building more...but they really don't want to build anymore.   

Addional legislation (no mtbe etc.) also keeps keep prices high becuause it hard to produce the "new" versions of oil and oil companies like this too and exploits these changes.

Concerning oil:

There is no "shortage of oi" but there is a shortage of "oil production".

People expect supply/demand to take care of it but here is the catch:

Oil production capacity is being held by the balls by middle eastern countries - fact of life...they have the vast majority of the oil and they aren't going to produce more for obvious reasons (economical & political).

OIL COMPANIES DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PRICE OF OIL - their profits are based on the price of gasoline vs oil, therefore have no part to play in this oil production situation.

NOw you say, supply & demand dictates that if oil price rises other production will come on line (like Alaska etc)....

True

But

Legaslation in America makes it hard to drill for oil (not saying environmental protection is bad - just pointing to a fact of life).

Oil companies in the US cannot drill where the oil is...Alaska, Off the coast of california etc)....the US got them into this themselves and the Middle East knows it!

Well, eventuallly, Americans will get fed up and lift these restrictions...as is currently happening.

So you say, surely them we will win this little game, but the US can't becuase:

As soon as we get all these restriction lifted and build additional production capacity in the US(which will take years), the middle east will just flood the market with oil again and makes all the new production a loss making proposition for anyone invested in it.....all the environmentalist will cry how they were right.....production will shut down in these places becuase it' s not profitable.

...then the game begins all over again.

IP Logged

Oil Shortage

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X