Normal Topic My day in hell (Read 2853 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PitchBlack
New User

My day in hell
Jan 26th, 2003 at 5:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey everyone, found this place after I went through hell.

Work at a video shop in the south and was held up at gunpoint. With no witnesses to collaborate my traumatic ordeal, I was considered a suspect!

In order to do whatever I could to show the business and police that I was the victim in this case and not involved whatsoever, I agreed to a polygraph at the police station.

After what I went through, I decided to get online and research polygraph procedures (that's how I found this place). Also came across the Employee Polygraph Protection Act website and noticed a few things on that list the polygraph examiner was not to do but did anyways

1. They never once asked for my I.D.

2. Was asked during the pre-test phase if I attended church as a child and what my affiliation is now (the examiner claimed these sort of questions was to get a better understanding of who I was)

3. Was not allowed to review the questions before the examiner hooked me up and proceeded with two tests of 9 questions. I was only allowed to see the questions after the second test and even then was not ask to write out my answers nor sign the paper with the questions on them. These two tests were included on the strand of graph paper with the last two tests btw.

4. After the final test, the examiner (Police Officer) claimed there was an issue with two of the questions (odd there was never an issue with my answers of these two questions on the previous three tests!) The examiner claimed that one of the questions on the last test  "Did an unknown armed man rob you?" I answered No!!! (meaning that I knew who this person was) I know I answered Yes and yet the examiner argued with me

Some thoughts/questions:

-If these polygraph exams are on the up and up, why can't they provide on the spot a copy of the test graph and any other documents one is required to sign?

-Why was I not allowed to see the graph so I could see these two questions the examiner claims there was an issue with? (only started talking about this with me after the paper was taken off the machine and folded up)

-Some of the questions I was asked during the pre-test phase could easily be verified: 

Do I take drugs? (give me a drug test! That would be the smartest and most effective way of getting this answer)

Any questions regarding my work ethics (talk to my fellow co-workers and supervisor! Check my records for attendance! Review records in which I was directly in charge of money!)

This was my first ever polygraph exam and if they ask me again to take one I will be getting a lawyer. Have been fully cooperative and it is still not enough! As someone told me, I'm being doubly victimized. 

The polygraph is supposed to be a tool for also clearing innocent peoples names but someone has failed to tell at least the one I had this.

Apologies for the lengthy post but had to get this off my chest. At first I was nervous about taking this test (I guess as anyone is, especially a first time tester and under the circumstances) and now I'm angry.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: My day in hell
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2003 at 11:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
PitchBlack,

You are right to be angry. Polygraph "testing" is a pseudoscientific fraud. The person who told you you've been doubly victimized got it right. All too often, law enforcement officials actually believe their lie detector results, and there is a good chance that you are now the main suspect in the taking of that which was stolen from the video shop.

Regarding the disputed answer to the question, "Did an unknown armed man rob you?" there could be no dispute if it were the practice of your police department to record all interrogations. There is no excuse for not doing this, and your experience helps to highlight the need for such recording.

Your polygrapher's line of questioning about your religious affiliation was completely inappropriate. Moreover, his refusal to review with you the questions he was going to ask before hooking you up to the polygraph was a blatant violation of standard polygraph procedure, and may have been deliberately intended to help ensure that you would "fail."

For a better understanding of how polygraphy "works" (and doesn't), download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and go directly to Chapter 3. You might wish to provide a printout to any who may doubt your word because of the polygrapher's accusation.

You might also consider going public. If you take this lying down, you may unintentionally tend to confirm suspicions that you stole from the shop and made up the armed robbery story as a cover. You can contact your local newspaper, radio, and television newsrooms, and ask to speak with a reporter about your experience, which I think they will find newsworthy. (You can also refer reporters to AntiPolygraph.org; our contact information is here.) And name your polygrapher: he (and his bosses) should be held strictly accountable for their conduct. In addition, you can write to your mayor and city council members to complain about the treatment you received. You might also call their offices to seek a face-to-face meeting, which would be more effective. Also, many city councils offer members of the public the opportunity to speak at their meetings. You might wish to take advantage of any such opportunity.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

My day in hell

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X