Normal Topic Facing a Polygraph Should I be Worried? (Read 3261 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LB
New User

Facing a Polygraph Should I be Worried?
Jan 16th, 2003 at 4:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, I am new to this forum.  I work part-time for a local ambulance service that recently discovered theft of some drugs specifically Morphine.  To my knowledge they don't have any suspects in mind.  A supervisor told me that they are probably going to have most if not all employees do a polygraph.  Now let me say that I haven't stolen anything from them and especially a controlled substance like Morphine.  My concern is, I don't trust polygraphs.  I have read over the book posted on the webpage and I'm even more convinced that polygraphs are bogus and misleading.  I've already read in the CFR's that the ambulance service would be exempt because drugs and theft are involved.  So, they have a right to ask for a polygraph.  To the best of my knowledge, they have no substantial evidence that anyone in particular has done it.  Everyone is suspect right now.  

I am considering refusing to take the test.  But I am afraid I will be immediately suspected and probably fired.  If I refuse, can they still have me or anyone else arrested for stealing the drugs that refuses?  If I take the test and fail, can they file charges against me or anyone else that fails based on the results of the polygraph?  I've even considered resigning, because I really don't need this job and I don't want to be involved in this scandal.  But if I do that, I'm sure I will be personally suspected because I am quitting in the middle of this investigation and they could still coerce me into taking the test.  

Please help with any advice or comments.  

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: Facing a Polygraph Should I be Worried?
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 5:46am
LB wrote on Jan 16th, 2003 at 4:47am:

Hello, I am new to this forum.  I work part-time for a local ambulance service that recently discovered theft of some drugs specifically Morphine.  To my knowledge they don't have any suspects in mind.  A supervisor told me that they are probably going to have most if not all employees do a polygraph.  Now let me say that I haven't stolen anything from them and especially a controlled substance like Morphine.  My concern is, I don't trust polygraphs.  I have read over the book posted on the webpage and I'm even more convinced that polygraphs are bogus and misleading.  I've already read in the CFR's that the ambulance service would be exempt because drugs and theft are involved.  So, they have a right to ask for a polygraph.  To the best of my knowledge, they have no substantial evidence that anyone in particular has done it.  Everyone is suspect right now.   

I am considering refusing to take the test.  But I am afraid I will be immediately suspected and probably fired.  If I refuse, can they still have me or anyone else arrested for stealing the drugs that refuses?

Let me preface my responses with the fact that I am not a legal professional in any way (just a diligent amateur); you really should ask an attorney if you're looking for definitive answers.

To the best of my non-legal-professional knowledge, you can't be arrested unless there's some form of probable cause (i.e. evidence).  Firing may be another matter, though.

Quote:
If I take the test and fail, can they file charges against me or anyone else that fails based on the results of the polygraph?

Unless you admit to something, IMHO in most cases the results of a polygraph shouldn't be sufficient alone to have you arrested (since such results are not admissable in court).  Again, keeping your job may be another matter entirely.   

Quote:
I've even considered resigning, because I really don't need this job and I don't want to be involved in this scandal.  But if I do that, I'm sure I will be personally suspected because I am quitting in the middle of this investigation and they could still coerce me into taking the test. 

If I were in your shoes, I would not only refuse to take a polygraph, but indicate that the reason is I have come across a lot of information on the polygraph while surfing online, and thoroughly believe that the test is bogus.  Furthermore, thanks to information available online, I am intimately familiar with how to beat the test, and therefore am an unsuitable candidate for polygraph testing.  I also would specifically mention www.antipolygraph.org by name, and refer my supervisor(s) to the site and The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (chances are very good that those who have decided polygraph testing is necessary are utterly unaware of the details of how the test works or the fact that it can be easily beaten with readily-available information).

I would couple all of this with a strong indication of willingness to cooperate in any other way possible.

The decision must be yours, of course.  Countermeasures are another alternative; they can work and are undetectable if done right, but there are no guarantees that way, either.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 7:25am
Oh yes, please follow these instructions to the letter....and make sure that you name Anti-Polygraph.org in your suit when you are fired and have to sue to TRY to get your job back.  Bottom line? If you did not take the drugs and do not know who did (and you must be able to answer these questions absolutely honestly (that is, no personal or indirect knowedge of who actual;ly did it (i.e. you saw them, a trusted colleague told you, etc) take the test, answer the questions honestly and be proud of yourself that you were able to take the test, tell the truth and pass the test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 7:30am
Quote:

Oh yes, please follow these instructions to the letter....and make sure that you name Anti-Polygraph.org in your suit when you are fired and have to sue to TRY to get your job back.  Bottom line? If you did not take the drugs and do not know who did (and you must be able to answer these questions absolutely honestly (that is, no personal or indirect knowedge of who actual;ly did it (i.e. you saw them, a trusted colleague told you, etc) take the test, answer the questions honestly and be proud of yourself that you were able to take the test, tell the truth and pass the test.

Oh, dear.  And there, for awhile, we had high hopes for you, "Guest".

I think you're forgetting this individual has already read a lot about polygraphs.  The good ol' "just tell the truth to the infallible polygraph and everything will be all rosy!" line isn't likely to make much headway with him.  But hey, good try.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2003 at 7:56am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Facing a Polygraph Should I be Worried?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X