Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Did Anyone take the Poly for the USSS Uniformed (Read 14807 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Diesel

Did Anyone take the Poly for the USSS Uniformed
Dec 24th, 2002 at 8:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am takin the exam soon, if anyone has any insight, i would greatly appreciate it

Note: Your post has been edited to omit reference to the specific time frame during which your polygraph examination will take place. (Otherwise the USSS polygraph unit might have felt compelled to accuse at least one Uniformed Division applicant polygraphed during this time frame of countermeasure use.) --AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2002 at 10:13pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Re: Did Anyone take the Poly for the USSS Uniforme
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 6:36am
Oh you are a lot of help George!.....better tell your minion (who better think twice about using CM's) to be wary of at least two questions:

a.  Are you sometimes called Diesel?
b.  Have you done anything to alter the outcome of this test?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 7:47am
Quote:

Oh you are a lot of help George!.....better tell your minion (who better think twice about using CM's) to be wary of at least two questions:

a.  Are you sometimes called Diesel?
b.  Have you done anything to alter the outcome of this test?

So, all polygraphers at USSS are going to start asking all their examinees whether they're called "Diesel"?

Better not forget "Beech Trees", "Skeptic", etc. -- for all you know, we're going to apply there, too.

You guys are too much.

As far as countermeasures are concerned, it should be noted that no polygrapher has yet had the courage to take Drew Richardson up on his countermeasure challenge (over 330 days and running).  Furthermore, I can personally attest that correctly-done countermeasures are evidently undetectable by the presumably best-trained polygraphers.

Claims that countermeasures can be detected must be greeted with the greatest skepticism.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 5:47pm
Naw!....Bozos like Beech Trees and especially Skeptic would NEVER make it through the initial screening...They would be eliminated long before they EVER got to the polygraph stage.  Besides, would not have tyo detect the countermeasures...their physiological response to the QUESTION would be enough to affirm that they were using countermeasures and eliminate them due to their actions....remember, honest people have nothing to hide.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 6:08pm
After engaging in gratuitous ad hominem attacks against those whose arguments he is apparently unable to counter on a rational basis, Guest writes:

Quote:
...remember, honest people have nothing to hide...

But the "control" question "test" used by federal agencies such as the U.S. Secret Service, FBI, and DEA for pre-employment screening is predicated on the assumption that honest people do indeed have something to hide, and that they will be less than truthful in answering the "control" questions. Any who may be unclear on the concept may wish to refer to Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 6:26pm
Quote:

Naw!....Bozos like Beech Trees and especially Skeptic would NEVER make it through the initial screening...They would be eliminated long before they EVER got to the polygraph stage.  Besides, would not have tyo detect the countermeasures...their physiological response to the QUESTION would be enough to affirm that they were using countermeasures and eliminate them due to their actions....remember, honest people have nothing to hide.

It's a shame that the need for anonymity on both our parts precludes me from relating just how wrong you are; sufficeth to say not only did I pass your little polygraph (administered by a DodPI grad), I also passed alllllllllll the other screening exams and investigations and I happily work in the career of my choice.

With regard to your 'honest people have nothin to hide', I find that especially egregious considering polygraphers lie for a living. They lie to their test subjects, they lie to their superiors concerning the scientific accuracy of the polygraph, they lie to the press about the polygraph's accuracy, and they lie here when they post offal like 'their physiological response to the QUESTION would be enough to affirm that they were using countermeasures...'

This bozo will now need his enormous floppy red shoe back when you're done removing it from your ass,

Dave

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 6:35pm

Quote:

Naw!....Bozos like Beech Trees and especially Skeptic would NEVER make it through the initial screening...They would be eliminated long before they EVER got to the polygraph stage.  Besides, would not have tyo detect the countermeasures...their physiological response to the QUESTION would be enough to affirm that they were using countermeasures and eliminate them due to their actions....remember, honest people have nothing to hide.

<chuckle>

I think Beech Trees and George have already said what I would have.  I'd just like to add that I, also, had no trouble passing all other aspects of a background check and psychological testing (NSA SSBI).  I freely admit that I found the R/I polygraph testing interrogation traumatic, which was one reason I chose not to take the job.

"Honesty" has nothing to do with the polygraph.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 7:03pm
CHOSE not take the job???...I hear it a little different!  Care to come clean to all of your followers? After all, you are one of George's minions.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 7:08pm
Aha!...I knew that guy that came in with the "enormous" floppy RED shoe was you!..Just think, if you had passed the test (you really didn't now did you...tell the truth), we could have used to to entertain at the office parties we have all of the time.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 7:20pm
Beech Trees, Skeptic,

I think "Guest" is unwittingly making a significant contribution to this discussion by illustrating for Diesel and others just what sort of characters they may encounter when they show up for their polygraph interrogations. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2002 at 10:07pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 8:05pm
Quote:

CHOSE not take the job???...I hear it a little different!  Care to come clean to all of your followers? After all, you are one of George's minions.

Note that I've never posted my identity here, so it would be impossible for "Guest" to know anything about my situation.  If I had posted my identity, I would be more than happy to also post the letter I received verifying that I voluntarily withdrew from the NSA application process and inviting me to return in the future.

I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, Guest.  But a word of advice: if you try to bluff someone, make it believable.

George, I agree.  "Guest" is a sterling example of what applicants face in the polygraph procedure.  He's not exactly helping his cause.

But perhaps the strident personal attacks are understandable.  After all, with the National Academy of Sciences' recent condemnation of polygraph screening, he and his buddies might soon be out of a job.  I suppose I'd be a little upset, too.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2002 at 8:39pm by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2002 at 9:29pm
Skeptic wrote on Dec 30th, 2002 at 8:05pm:

But perhaps the strident personal attacks are understandable.  After all, with the National Academy of Sciences' recent condemnation of polygraph screening, he and his buddies might soon be out of a job.  I suppose I'd be a little upset, too.

That may be a part of the rather churlish and superficial comments made by "guest" but, even so,  I suspect the NAS report will have less impact than one might expect.  I believe that the main reason the polygraph's use had been limited is the wide sense that it is an invasion of privacy, not it's lack of accuracy. The wide popular belief in it's accuracy has not been impacted much. The technical literati already were aware of it's shortcomings, for others it was just more noise.

For instance, Dr. Schlessinger continues to make pro-polygraph comments (save up for a lie detector test, etc) which rather suggests a certain level of ignorance re the way polygraphs work. It's especially curious given the normal practice of LE when looking at estranged family members with a homicide victim. She is fortunate that, by dint of circumstance, she is exempted from a process that would likely be inflicted on most american families.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2002 at 12:46am
Then POST it Skeptic....or Septic...or whatever name you want to use...THIS WEEK.......don't just talk about it.....personally, I do not believe your protestations!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Diesel

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2002 at 12:56am
Was just a name because i couldn't chose anything better...as for the outcome, they know everything, including the 2 times i smoke pot, and the stolen steak i receieved from a friend at school....thats bout it, but i dont want to be nervous, and just screw up from that..i know i have nothing to hide, but the whole polygraph irks me....

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2002 at 1:35am

Quote:

Was just a name because i couldn't chose anything better...as for the outcome, they know everything, including the 2 times i smoke pot, and the stolen steak i receieved from a friend at school....thats bout it, but i dont want to be nervous, and just screw up from that..i know i have nothing to hide, but the whole polygraph irks me....

Diesel,
Don't worry about it.  Ever since the NAS came out with their condemnation of polygraph screening,  an obviously shaken polygraph community has taken to trying scare tactics on those who visit here.  My advice to you would be to download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and read it thoroughly.  Knowledge is power.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Did Anyone take the Poly for the USSS Uniformed

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X