Normal Topic Meds to alter reactions?? (Read 5339 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Vincent

Meds to alter reactions??
Dec 3rd, 2002 at 1:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was wondering if there were any meds one could take before a poly to not have a reaction to the relevant quest??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Meds to alter reactions??
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 4:55am

Quote:

I was wondering if there were any meds one could take before a poly to not have a reaction to the relevant quest??

Dear Vincent,

The intent of your post is questionable.  Are you considering legally prescribed drugs that you are already taking?  I would not advise anyone to take any drugs not prescribed for them before any job application regardless of if a polygraph exam will occur.  Should you pursue such a course, think about the logical outcome: any meds that would affect your reaction to relevant questions will also affect your control reactions and thus counteract your ability to pass the exam.  What happens if the testing agency decides that they want a urine test before the polygraph?   

You definitely are not on firm footing starting a job with someone should you take this course of action.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 8:27am
Vincent,

In answering your question, the following points should be made:

(1) Yes, you can reduce/eliminate physiological response(s) to relevant questions through various pharmacological preparations (use of drugs).

(2) In general this is not a viable/useable approach to countermeasures for two reasons:

(a) It is more practical to INCREASE responses to CONTROL questions (not reduce responses to relevant questions) through physical or mental manipulations as described in the Lie Behind the Lie Detector (TLBTLD), and

(b)  Although you can reduce responses to relevant questions through drug usage, you will likely reduce responses to the corresponding control questions, offsetting any benefit you might have gained through reduction/elimination of responses to relevant questions.

(3)  This is not completely the end of the story, though, with pharmacological countermeasures.  Because drugs (somewhat) selectively affect the physiology which (somewhat) selectively affects the individual channels of the polygraph (respiration, electrodermal sweating, cardiovascular), one might successfully adopt a mixed approach such as the following:

(a)  Use a motion sickness preparation which contains the drug scopolomine which will drastically reduce sweating responses to both relevant and control questions.  The effect will be to largely eliminate this channel for scoring purposes, while at the same time

(b) DIRECTLY, as described in TLBTLD, produce scorable responses in the RESPIRATORY (breathing) channel to CONTROL questions (NOT relevant questions), and

(c) INDIRECTLY through physical (ie tongue biting) or mental (ie thinking of being bit by a venemous snake, or your significant other cheating on you, or trying quickly to determine the solution to a thought provoking math problem (the square root of 131) ) manipluations produce reactions to, again, CONTROL (not relevant) questions affecting the CARDIOVASCULAR channel.

Hope this helps...if it is unclear, feel free to ask additional questions...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 9:01am

Quote:

Vincent,

In answering your question, the following points should be made:

(1) Yes, you can reduce/eliminate physiological response(s) to relevant questions through various pharmacological preparations (use of drugs).

(2) In general this is not a viable/useable approach to countermeasures for two reasons:

(a) It is more practical to INCREASE responses to CONTROL questions (not reduce responses to relevant questions) through physical or mental manipulations as described in the Lie Behind the Lie Detector (TLBTLD), and

(b)  Although you can reduce responses to relevant questions through drug usage, you will likely reduce responses to the corresponding control questions, offsetting any benefit you might have gained through reduction/elimination of responses to relevant questions.

(3)  This is not completely the end of the story, though, with pharmacological countermeasures.  Because drugs (somewhat) selectively affect the physiology which (somewhat) selectively affects the individual channels of the polygraph (respiration, electrodermal sweating, cardiovascular), one might successfully adopt a mixed approach such as the following:

(a)  Use a motion sickness preparation which contains the drug scopolomine which will drastically reduce sweating responses to both relevant and control questions.  The effect will be to largely eliminate this channel for scoring purposes, while at the same time

(b) DIRECTLY, as described in TLBTLD, produce scorable responses in the RESPIRATORY (breathing) channel to CONTROL questions (NOT relevant questions), and

(c) INDIRECTLY through physical (ie tongue biting) or mental (ie thinking of being bit by a venemous snake, or your significant other cheating on you, or trying quickly to determine the solution to a thought provoking math problem (the square root of 131) ) manipluations produce reactions to, again, CONTROL (not relevant) questions affecting the CARDIOVASCULAR channel.

Hope this helps...if it is unclear, feel free to ask additional questions...

Anonymous,
I find your answers here interesting, and am curious as to your qualifications and/or sources of information for this topic.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 10:10pm
Skeptic,

I'm glad you found the previous discussion interesting.  I would recommend one of several standard texts for supplemental reading.  Perhaps you might begin with Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics by Joel G. Hardman (Editor),  Lee E. Limbird (Editor), Alfred Gilman Goodman (Consulting Editor), 10th edition.  You might look beginning at p. 155 for a discussion of muscarinic agonists and antagonists (e.g. scopolamine (note: previously misspelled in my original post)).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 11:34pm

Quote:

Skeptic,

I'm glad you found the previous discussion interesting.  I would recommend one of several standard texts for supplemental reading.  Perhaps you might begin with Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics by Joel G. Hardman (Editor),  Lee E. Limbird (Editor), Alfred Gilman Goodman (Consulting Editor), 10th edition.  You might look beginning at p. 155 for a discussion of muscarinic agonists and antagonists (e.g. scopolamine (note: previously misspelled in my original post)).

Anonymous,
Thanks for the references.  Although I understand your desire for anonymity (no pun intended), I would very much like to discuss this further privately -- I find the polygraph knowledge you've displayed on this board intriguing.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box An American

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2002 at 5:43am
So you know of a drug that can reliably distinguish between relevant and control questions during the conduct of a polygraph test?  Do tell! I gotta hear about this one! Perhaps you need to review your research. All you little lambs out there pay attention because Annoymous is about to lead you down the path of ruin!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2002 at 6:01am

Quote:

So you know of a drug that can reliably distinguish between relevant and control questions during the conduct of a polygraph test? 

Dear An American,

No one in this thread has stated or inferred that there is a drug that can reliably distinguish between relevant and control questions during a polygraph exam.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2002 at 2:57pm
An American,

I previously posted:

Quote:
...Although you can reduce responses to relevant questions through drug usage, you will likely reduce responses to the corresponding control questions, offsetting any benefit you might have gained through reduction/elimination of responses to relevant questions...

You followed with:

Quote:
...So you know of a drug that can reliably distinguish between relevant and control questions during the conduct of a polygraph test...

Are you:

1. A careless and/or poor reader?  (Since you referred to me/my advice in your post, I believe we can assume that you did see my post).

2.  Ridiculously optimistic in your assumption that by saying any inane thing that comes to mind that you are likely to confuse and/or dissuade intelligent readers from doing that which is logical?

3.  Mentally deficient?

4.  Other?

5.  Some combination of the above?

IP Logged

Meds to alter reactions??

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X