Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) 50,000+ Downloads (Read 12052 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

50,000+ Downloads
Nov 20th, 2002 at 8:25pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It is now conservatively estimated that The Lie Behind the Lie Detector has been downloaded over 50,000 times.

Smiley

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Re: 50,000+ Downloads
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2002 at 12:44am
How many of those are examiners , and how many actually read it ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2002 at 1:17am
Quote:
How many of those are examiners , and how many actually read it

Polylawman,

If we assume that every examiner who is a member of the American Polygraph Association downloaded a copy, it would still put us at 47, 800 downloads (the APA website boasts "over 2,200 members").

There is no way to guess what percentage of those who download the book actually read it. Common sense would dictate that individuals who intentionally download a fairly large file are likely to read at least some of it. Furthermore, judging by the number of "thank you" e-mails we have received from those who have successfully employed countermeasures, I would assume that the percentage is fairly high.

Lastly, your post neglects to account for those who read the book, found it useful, and passed it on to others (either via e-mail or printed copy). Once again, there is no way to put an exact number on this. I would venture to guess that it is as large as or larger than the 2,200 number we can attribute to polygraph examiners.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2002 at 7:48am
I have downloaded it more than once because my computer had crashed and the HD had to be reformated. It wasn't one of my backed up files since it is readily available. OTOH, some would share it with others (as suggested) so that would work in the opposite direction.

All in all, it is well written and is probably one of the texts anyone interested in the polygraph should read.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2002 at 10:11am

Quote:

How many of those are examiners , and how many actually read it ??? 

Polylawman,

Just as polygraphers cannot detect deception, AntiPolygraph.org's server logs cannot detect polygraphers.

Wink

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2002 at 3:46pm
Did you read it, polylawman?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 11:35am
I've downloaded it at least 2-3 times.  And add that to the 2,200 because I am not a member of the APA but I am an examiner.  There's probably a heck of a lot more like me, but then every examiner might not have downloaded the file.  Safe to say a lot of people who are not examiners, have read TLBTLD. And yet I still get plenty of (consensual) business.   

It may not be detecting deception, but I sure have been successful (at a rate MUCH greater than chance) at identifying the perpetrators of felonies, and eliminating the innocent from suspicion!! Wink

Cheers.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polylawman

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2002 at 2:34am
Way to go Public Servant. 
Did you ever try the methods discussed in the book? I have and they are difficult to do and I give exams. 
Good luck to all those who try.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2002 at 2:21am
Polylawman:
The countermeasure are difficult to do?  For who?  My children can do them effectively!
I do think intelligent people can do them with little effort, in my opinion.  But then. you know, polygraph examiners are more accustomed to examanees who are naive and who accept the absurdity of the validity of the polygraph to detect deception.
In the words of Bob Park, of the American Physical Society, "The polygraph is... a highly reliable detector of orgasims.  But does it detect lies?  Only if you're lying about having an orgasm."
I am even willing to bet it can't detect even that with anyone slightly informed about the asinine polygraph.
Don't take Drew's challenge, take mine - I bet I can not only beat it, but can give you exactly the chart you want me to produce in ANY situation...I can make those needles dance to MY control.
Roll Eyes

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2002 at 2:44am
Kind of interesting that your children should even know about the polygraph. How are they being raised??? As for the polygraph. I usually don't polygraph zealots such as the malcontents on this site who have studied for years on how to beat the poly. I do criminal polygraphs. It's kind of interesting that most of  people that post on this site will never even have to take ANOTHER polygraph. They have already failed and have an axe to grind. Don't they george.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2002 at 8:22am

Quote:

It's kind of interesting that most of  people that post on this site will never even have to take ANOTHER polygraph. 

Dear Polylawman,

I find your quote rather interesting.  I have taken two  polygraphs and a third is on the way.  The first inconclusive, the second accusatory, and the third, we will find out.  I find it amazing that the Attorney General of the United States found my work for the Department of Justice exemplary: nine special acts in a ten year period, four promotions, and employee of the month.  The Department of Defense has awarded me multiple medals, promotions and awards for my service to the military.  My life has been investigated by the Military from age 18 and the Department of Justice has reinvestigated my life from 21 on.  I was extemely high on the FBI best qualified list.  All of my interviews went exceptionally well with the hiring authority.  The only people to take exception to my character are polygraph examiners.  When I call them on the carpet,  wonderously, I get another polygraph.  I have been trustworthy to the United States Government for over the past twenty years of my life yet because of the polygraph, I am not acceptable to the FBI. 

The FBI does not want to fail me any more because the Attorney General will have to investigate any allegations of their conclusions.  The polygraph states that I am questionable yet my lifetime of service says otherwise. The more I fail the polygraph, the worse it will appear for its validity.  I am currently employed in a Federal Law Enforcement position of extreme responsibility.  My current agency does not give any credence to the polygraph and thus the FBI cannot silence me by threatening to "tell my current federal employer" and cast a shadow on my reputation.

I would never be on this website if the polygraph was as accurate as claimed.  Many polygraph advocates have stated that the polygraph is an "art" and the polygraph operator's expertise is the key.

I have only seen "fingerpainters" operating the polygraph so far and I would definitely like to see a "craftsman artist" paint a picture of my "truthfulness". 

Please do not sell anyone posting here as being short on honor and integrity just because they question the validity of the polygraph.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mriddle6
New User

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2002 at 11:08am

Quote:

I usually don't polygraph zealots such as the malcontents on this site who have studied for years on how to beat the poly.  

The malcontents on this site are people. Must of them seem to be dedicated folks that have been denied employment with law enforcement solely on the basis of a polygraph. Does this not seem wrong to you?

As for " Beating the Polygraph" this may be your perspective. The way I see it, for whatever my humble opinion is worth, they come only seeking knowledge on how to better protect themselfs from being victimized from the likes of you.

Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2002 at 6:29am

Quote:

My current agency does not give any credence to the polygraph and thus the FBI cannot silence me by threatening to "tell my current federal employer" and cast a shadow on my reputation.

I would never be on this website if the polygraph was as accurate as claimed.  Many polygraph advocates have stated that the polygraph is an "art" and the polygraph operator's expertise is the key.

I have only seen "fingerpainters" operating the polygraph so far and I would definitely like to see a "craftsman artist" paint a picture of my "truthfulness". 

Please do not sell anyone posting here as being short on honor and integrity just because they question the validity of the polygraph.

Regards.

Fair Chance,

I commend you for your faithful service to our country. It amazes me that the FBI has given you multiple exams when most of the people who failed an FBI poly seem to have trouble getting retested. Could the FBI be attempting to destroy your career?

You have made a great point in your last paragraph. Remember those who passed the poly and then betrayed our country

Good Luck 

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2002 at 3:30pm

Quote:

Fair Chance,

I commend you for your faithful service to our country. It amazes me that the FBI has given you multiple exams when most of the people who failed an FBI poly seem to have trouble getting retested. Could the FBI be attempting to destroy your career?

You have made a great point in your last paragraph. Remember those who passed the poly and then betrayed our country

Good Luck 

Fred F.  Wink

Dear Fred F.,

I only wish I was that important in life.  To the FBI, I am just one of thousands of applicants.  I do not beleive that the FBI wants to specifically destroy my career.  I do now think that the polygraph examiners would like me to go away so that the procedure does not get any more scrutiny.  The notification letter stating that my application was not going to get any more consideration had absolutely no information on how an applicant might appeal their situation.  As an experienced federal worker, I understand that ALL procedures have to have some type of process to handle disputes.  Why make it so difficult to find on what information a decision was made unless the decision was not founded on logical thinking?

In order to destroy my career, the FBI would have to undo my life.  I want the FBI to perform the most intensive background investigation possible (assuming that they want do destroy my career, they would spare no time or expense looking under all the rocks).  I will pass with flying colors.

My disgust with the current applicant system stems from the fact that there is no background investigation BEFORE the polygraph and NONE is fourthcoming if the polygraph results accuse an applicant of improprieties.  THERE IS NO WAY TO CLEAR ONE'S REPUTATION FROM ACCUSATIONS MADE STRICTLY ON THE INTERPRETATIONS OF A GROUP OF HIDDEN SECRET POLYGRAPH INTERPRETERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C..

Fred, I believe the more light that is shined under my rock, the better I will look.  Why must these polygraph interpreters in Washington, D.C., operate in the shadows of secrecy?  When everything is complete, I will do a Freedom of Information Reguest on my file and I know I will not see any information under six months.

Forgive my long winded answer, every time I think about the situation it becomes more absurd.  Many men and women have been killed or maimed in service to our country.  My problem is quite trival compared to their experiences.  I now fight to try and improve the system, I am not a radical or rebel.  My father stated a saying that I have always lived by,"Evil will triumph when good men stand by and do nothing about it."  I do think the polygraph is having a negative effect on recruiting the best for America and now more then ever, we need the best in law enforcement.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2003 at 5:07am
I downloaded it and read it. I did this after taking two tests, and there won't be any more (hopefully). But my experience with the two I took, combined with the knowledge learned since then, have caused me to do what I can to relegate polygraphs to the circus sideshow where they belong.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

50,000+ Downloads

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X