Normal Topic Still In Disbelief (Read 2742 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Not_Guilty
New User

Still In Disbelief
Oct 31st, 2002 at 1:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took my first ever polygraph today and I am still in total disbelief.  I went in naive and came out devastated. Cry  This was a pre-employment screening for a dispatcher position at a sheriff's department.

According to the examiner, I had (apparently deceptive) responses to ALL drug questions, ALL theft questions AND the "have you ever seriously thought about commiting or been involved in the commission of a major crime" question. ??? 

I have NEVER been involved in any of the above, short of my prior law enforcement experience so I went in thinking this would be a piece of cake.  After three rounds of questions, the examiner left the room so another could read the results and, when he returned, he asked me "So, what do you think we found?"  Naturally, I said "nothing" but he said they'd both concluded that I had the above reactions.  Shocked  

He said they'd need more testing, hooked me up again and this time basically asked questions in the above areas only, with a question about did I believe he would only ask questions we'd reviewed placed before and after.  He said these were slightly better, but I was still reacting.  Undecided   

By this time, I was pretty well speechless and he then said they may "give me the benefit of the doubt" and asked me (since I have 10 years prior experience) if they hired me, would I be a good dispatcher.  By this time, all I could do was say yes, although what I really wanted to do was tell him where he could shove his "benefit of the doubt."  Angry 

The whole experience is one of the worst things I've gone through.  The way my test read, my life consists of stealing to buy drugs to take while I'm planning my next "major crime."  I wish I'd found this site before today instead of while looking for something to pick up the pieces with!  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: Still In Disbelief
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 2:58pm
Not_Guilty:
I am sorry for your horrible experience.  I too would have ended up another "acceptable loss" if not for my research into the polygraph before hand.  Hind sight is 20/20, but your worst acton now will be to remain silent.  I suggest that you become outspoken about all that you know about the polygraph.   
The NAS report on the polygraph is an excellent source to begin with.  Then, you will find many supporting stories that have been published, expecially of late, that provide more aresenal for you.  You will also find, quite hilariously, the responses of the pro-polygraphy community only further to support the call for banning of the use of this nonsense.
I wish you well, and know that your actions will be what sets you apart.  You will find support for whatever course you wish to take.
Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2002 at 4:44am
Not Guilty,

I wouldn't count myself out just yet. Based on what you have described, the polygraphers didn't subject you to a torturous post test interrogation based on what they "discovered". They seemed casual about your "deceptive" responses and you did right by not giving them any information they could use against you.

I believe that you have passed. You have experience and that is what many agencies want.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2002 at 4:59am
Not Guilty,

Beware of the offer of another polygraph after this one to "clear up certain areas".  As Fred F. mentioned, you were not exposed to an accusatory post-interrogation yet.  You can read xXx's exploits (or exploited experience) on this website.  If they come out of the gate attacking your first polygraph, chances are high that it will become a thinly veiled pressure session to get you to confess to something.

I hope that you get the letter that you passed and my advice will be a moot point.

Good Luck.

IP Logged

Still In Disbelief

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X