Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) what to do? (Read 12336 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: what to do?
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 3:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
polylawman-
Kussomak

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tracedbybeech

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 4:55am
George and Seeker believe it is important to publish this booklet in Arabic to help Al Queda.  Fortunately the countermeasure booklet by Doug Williams has not been translated for the terrorists yet, and those who use his method, WHICH IS DIFFERENT AND WORTH PAYING FOR, are not caught as frequently as the morons who download this booklet.  The people who wrote this thing are only bitter losers who failed the poly, and Doug is a former polygrapher.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 4:56am
Once again biggotry abounds.  The overwhelming view of the USA held overseas had been one of great respect.  USA has been, and still is, considered by many countries to be fair, just, and equitable.   
A wrong is a wrong.  It does not see race, sex, national origin, religion, or any other factors.  Every human being has basic rights.  Those rights were the foundation of the great USA.   
Translate on in every language around the globe where this nonsense has a hold!
Than, is a duty to the human race.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 5:38am

Seeker wrote on Nov 3rd, 2002 at 4:56am:

Once again biggotry abounds.  The overwhelming view of the USA held overseas had been one of great respect.  USA has been, and still is, considered by many countries to be fair, just, and equitable.  
A wrong is a wrong.  It does not see race, sex, national origin, religion, or any other factors.  Every human being has basic rights.  Those rights were the foundation of the great USA.  
Translate on in every language around the globe where this nonsense has a hold!
Than, is a duty to the human race.

I'm with you, Seeker: it's time to ignore this low-functioning fool.  There's nothing in his posts that really requires refuting, anyway -- the average reader can see his small-minded bigotry for what it is.

He's had more than enough chances to contribute something meaningful.  Time to move on.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 6:04am
Marty wrote on Nov 3rd, 2002 at 1:21am:

George, do you have any estimate of the reasons visitors come to this site? I'm curious if you have seen a change in the ratio of pre-poly and post-poly visitors.  Of course there are also the poly people themselves. Some are active FUD spreaders. Then there are the terminally curious that get fascinated in the way such a thing is used and abused by society.

-Marty

Marty,

No, I have no such estimate. The great majority of people who visit AntiPolygraph.org do not post on the message board or e-mail us. What I have noticed is that the number of visits to AntiPolygraph.org roughly doubled between our first year on-line and the second, and that upward trend seems to be continuing.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 6:46am

Quote:

Fortunately the countermeasure booklet by Doug Williams has not been translated for the terrorists yet, and those who use his method, WHICH IS DIFFERENT AND WORTH PAYING FOR, are not caught as frequently as the morons who download this booklet.  The people who wrote this thing are only bitter losers who failed the poly, and Doug is a former polygrapher. 

Doug, such bald advertising is ill-befitting Smiley

Seriously, those who have reviewed both documents have noted the methodology taught is essentially the same.  Readers can judge for themselves how comprehensive and well-researched is The Lie Behind the Lie Detector; it is available for free downloading here:

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector

Evidently, this book is good enough to be used by the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute in discussing countermeasures, as is Doug Williams' work.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams

Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 10:38pm
Skeptic:  You seem to have something to say about or to me on a fairly regular basis - but unlike you when I post anything on the board I use my own name.

As to what George and Gino have said about my technique in their book, it is pretty close - not plagarism, but close. However, it does not have many of the important points that are in my revised edition.

Doug Williams Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 4:34am
Quote:

Skeptic: ?You seem to have something to say about or to me on a fairly regular basis - but unlike you when I post anything on the board I use my own name.

As to what George and Gino have said about my technique in their book, it is pretty close - not plagarism, but close. However, it does not have many of the important points that are in my revised edition.

Doug Williams Undecided 

Webster's 9th New Collegiate Dictionary defines "plagiarize" thus: "to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (a created production) without crediting the source ~ vi to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."

Gino Scalabrini and I did not plagiarize Mr. Williams's manual, "How to Sting the Polygraph," which is one of many sources we relied on in researching The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Our book is well-referenced throughout, and we cite Mr. Williams's manual where we have relied on it.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 4:56am
Quote:

Skeptic:  You seem to have something to say about or to me on a fairly regular basis - but unlike you when I post anything on the board I use my own name.

Do I?  In fact, I believe this is the first time I've mentioned Mr. Williams or his work -- which is fairly easy to verify by searching the message boards.

For the record, I have no problem with Doug Williams or his book, and have never said otherwise.  In fact, I'm glad his work is out there; it's one more nail in the coffin of polygraphy.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing whether the above person is truly "Doug Williams", since he posted anonymously as a "guest".  Anyone may post under the same name with impunity.

By contrast, my posts may always be identified by the fact that I am a registered user posting under the name, "Skeptic".

Regardless, I'm sure Doug Williams understands the desire for some anonymity when it comes to this topic, as he has indicated on his web site.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2002 at 7:28am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 5:21am
Quote:

Skeptic:  You seem to have something to say about or to me on a fairly regular basis - but unlike you when I post anything on the board I use my own name.

Doug Williams

Doug, I have seen your site and find it a reasonably set up commercial venture. As such, you are maximally motivated to keep current with the thinking and practice in the polygraph community. Thus, were I facing a polygraph I would buy and download your product to get a broader view than that presented here. A principal reason is to decide whether I would lie and use countermeasures or simply tell the truth about what I have learned about the deceptive practices of polygraphers and state "gentlemen, I am neither willing to deceive or be deceived"

Still, I very much respect George for putting the incredible effort into maintaining a classy, and accurate* site.  True "positives" tend to slink away. George didn't.

Also, Georges' site has the highest level of discourse I have found. I really wish I could find intelligent conversation on a pro-polygraph site. It clearly is difficult to maintain the fiction AND have a decent conversation about the true value of the polygraph in a public arena.

*accurate: As best as I can tell having read Kleiner (2002) and various interrogation books that also highlight the polygraph.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

what to do?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X