Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Polygraph Failure (Read 40603 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sie
User

Re: A Polygraph Failure
Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 8:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hyocrite. A true politician.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 3:13pm
LOL..this reminds me of one of the call in shows with Paul Stern, one of the scientists on the panel the NAS research board.  A caller called in talking about the CVSA and stated that it was used as a comedy device in that several people he knew would set it up beside the television while politicians were on tv spewing out their rhetoric and nonsense.   
I would be interested in Bill Richardson's success/failure with not only the CVSA but the polygraph as well.  I am sure it would provide lots of comic relief..that and the backpeddling of his proponents.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Richardson Wins
Reply #32 - Nov 6th, 2002 at 10:59am
Bill Richardson has won the New Mexico governor's race by a landslide. With 1,470 of 1,506 precincts reporting (98%), Richardson had captured 58% of the vote. His Republican challenger, John Sanchez, had 36% while Green party candidate David Bacon had 6%.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #33 - Nov 12th, 2002 at 12:16am
George M.,

It seems the dialogue on your site has gone downhill since you added your picture to your postings.  It reminds me of those movies where a psychiatrist does the old "ink blotter" routine.  People see your picture and just get all stupid.

How 'bout that American Girl saying your sexy?  What do you think her problem is?  Blind maybe?  Actually, judging by the  language in her posts, I would be willing to bet that she is really a he.  Better watch out George, don't bend over in the shower!

Hey TwoBlock, how's the gold mining business you old fart?

BeechTrees, you're still a jerk!

God it's great to be back, it's great to be an American, it's great to be me, and it's great to be 8)

Batman  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #34 - Nov 12th, 2002 at 1:12am

Batman wrote on Nov 12th, 2002 at 12:16am:

Hey TwoBlock, how's the gold mining business you old fart?

God it's great to be back, it's great to be an American, it's great to be me, and it's great to be 8)

Batman  Grin

Dear Batman,

Get Batgirl, get into the Batmobile, and drive back to the Batcave.  I love reruns but enough is enough!

Things were quite boring around here but I do not want to encourage you to come back!

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #35 - Nov 12th, 2002 at 1:22am
Batman wrote on Nov 12th, 2002 at 12:16am:

George M.,

It seems the dialogue on your site has gone downhill since you added your picture to your postings.  It reminds me of those movies where a psychiatrist does the old "ink blotter" routine.  People see your picture and just get all stupid.

Oh, I don't know Batman.  I can think of one bright spot in the recent dialogue.  Now that you're back, all I can say is "it was fun while it lasted".

And BTW, the downhill dialogue started after the NAS report.  It seems we're now exclusively getting the dregs of the polygraph world.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #36 - Nov 12th, 2002 at 5:21pm
Quote:

George M.,

It seems the dialogue on your site has gone downhill since you added your picture to your postings.  It reminds me of those movies where a psychiatrist does the old "ink blotter" routine.  People see your picture and just get all stupid.

I note in passing you did not move to exclude yourself from that demographic.

Quote:
How 'bout that American Girl saying your sexy?  What do you think her problem is?  Blind maybe?  Actually, judging by the  language in her posts, I would be willing to bet that she is really a he.  Better watch out George, don't bend over in the shower!

Reads as if you're quite the authority on Adventures in Showering.

Quote:

And yet you keep coming back for more. 'Round these here parts, when a dawg gets spanked he has enough sense to stay on the porch. Are we to presume you have less sense than a cringing beat-down porch dog? Respond to this post and prove me right.

Dave

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.- Mark Twain

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 12:48am
Dear Fair Chance, Skeptic, and B-Trees,

Gees guys, no sense of humor?  What gives?  Why so mean spirited?  Your hurtful responses make me want to take my Bat toys and go home.....NOT!

Come on, lighten up just a bit.  One would think you're actually losing the polygraph wars the way you immediately strike out at simple, good-hearted folks like me.

You guys must just love pissing in the wind.  When are you going to finally realize that polygraph is here to stay, regardless of what the NAS report says, or all your crying, or the lack of scientific peer group review, balh, blah, blah.  No one really cares about your little trials and tribulations with polygraph.  You simply come across like a bunch of whiners.  Put your little pea brains together and come up with a better plan of attack, because what you've been doing to date has had no impact what-so-ever.   

By the way Beech, 'round these here parts we don't beat our dogs.  I'm a guessin' that be sumpin youin's do in your neck of the woods.  Your still a jerk!  "Respond to this post and prove me right."  Come on my little dudette, you can do better than that.  Take a bite of that bitter polygraph pill, re-live your terrible polygraph experience, and lash out with some real venom.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputy Dawg

Reply #38 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 5:33am
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

How I love to read these posts!  Before you read further, I don't have any "peer reviewed research" to share and I don't have the time to take on Dr. Drew's challenge. Batman, you are my hero! Can't we all just get along? Actually, I love the interchange just the way it is. A good laugh is hard to come by. (No, I'm not laughing at a false postive examinee's expense, but it is the dialogue found here.)

George and the gang keep complaining. I (we) keep getting confessions...pre-test and post-test confessions.  All of these fine examinees had been interviewed at least once and perhaps many times in the past before arriving for their polygraph examination. They all initially professed that they were telling the truth, but most later confessed that they had committed the offense AND that they had deliberately provided false statements during the course of the investigation. George and his disciples like to state that these were naive and gullible people. I like to think that they had seen the errors of their ways and wanted to confess. The time had come to lift the burden off their shoulders. I took the time to listen and for that moment, I cared. Maybe it was the polygraph instrument on the desk, maybe I simply had a lucky day, maybe it was because I was willing to listen, but at the end of the day - a confession was received in writing. (Before anyone goes on the attack, I am referring to examinees whose exam results were DI or who confessed during the pre-test interview.  There are examinees whose test results are NDI. Regardless of what others might think, I don't manipulate the results and I don't coerce confessions from innocent people.)       

Folks, I hate to say it, but I do believe that the polygraph's demise is not in the immediate future.  Its utility is too convincing.  Take on a real worthy cause.  Perhaps the SPCA is looking for a few good men and women.  Take the time to save a beaten dog.  According to Beach Trees AKA Dave, it sounds as if they are getting beat far too often in his neck of the woods.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mriddle6
New User

Reply #39 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 4:40pm

Folks, I hate to say it, but I do believe that the polygraph's demise is not in the immediate future.  Its utility is too convincing.  

[/quote]

Dear Sir, your utility has worked so far and long only because the profession has been able to lie and deceive the American public concerning its validity and reliablity of detecting deception. 

Many people have been victimized by this fraudulent and deceptive practice. Some have turned to the courts for redress, others to the scientific community for answers and some as George M.have provide a place of reference and reseach for others.

You and your brotherhood hate this place for it exposes your profession for with it is "FRAUD". 

So I beg to differ with your opinion that the demise of polygraph practice is not in the imminent future. As more people come to realize that your instrument is invalid and unable to detect lies, once the fear of detection has been removed, it will be less likely to induce a confession or admission. Than what will you do for a living? Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polycop

Reply #40 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 6:17pm
mriddle6 wrote on Nov 13th, 2002 at 4:40pm:

...As more people come to realize that your instrument is invalid and unable to detect lies, once the fear of detection has been removed, it will be less likely to induce a confession or admission. Than what will you do for a living? Shocked

Wasn't it the NAS study that just reported specific issue polygraph examinations discriminated between truthful and untruthful at rates SIGNIFICANTLY above chance?  So much for the claims of yourself and others on this site that polygraph is "invalid."  Hmm, I suspect polygraph examiners will be gainfully employed for a long time to come...

Polycop...

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 8:14pm
Polycop, Deputy D.,

You guys are spot on.  It works, and it works well, however folks like George M and his loyal following will simply ignore the parts of the NAS report that speak to the utility of polygraph in specific issue testing, and they will simply write off any success stories as taking advantage of the naive and stupid of society.

The pity of this site is the loss of effort put forth by George's flock.  Just think of what they could accomplish if thay channeled all their energy into something more positive.  Instead they have chosen to attack polygraph simply because they had a "bad experience".  What they don't realize is that most likely 3/4's of American society wouldn't even know what polygraph is because it has absolutely no impact on them what-so-ever.  It impact's only that select few who chose to undergo one whether it be for potential employment or to resolve a criminal allegation.  Bottom line is, no one forces anyone to undergo the polygraph procedure.  So if someone (insert George, Beech T, or any of the other whiners) decides to undergo the procedure, and it does not go as well as hoped then who really is to blame?  Gee, I guess the system.  Yeah that's it, the system made me do it.  Well whiners (insert Gerorge M, etc), that simply does not hold water.  You made the decision to do it, so live with the results, and quit your crying.  It's not like some medical procedure that you had to undergo and then it went bad.  If that were the case you would have a legitimate gripe, and society would agree with you.   

So in the meantime, polygraph will continue to be utilized and administered to those that choose to take it.  It will continue to assist in resolving serious allegations of criminal  misconduct, and George and his boys will continue to wail and beat their heads against the wall about the injustice of it all.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #42 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 8:54pm
Quote:

Wasn't it the NAS study that just reported specific issue polygraph examinations discriminated between truthful and untruthful at rates SIGNIFICANTLY above chance?  So much for the claims of yourself and others on this site that polygraph is "invalid."  Hmm, I suspect polygraph examiners will be gainfully employed for a long time to come...

Polycop...

Polycop,

I think it's appropriate to repeat here a post I made earlier in the discussion thead, NAS Polygraph Report:

What the NAS Report Says About the Accuracy of Specific-Incident Polygraph Testing

The following is an excerpt from the conclusions of the NAS polygraph report (p. 168 of the HTML version):

Quote:
[font=Times,Palatino]Estimate of Accuracy  Notwithstanding the limitations of the quality of the empirical research and the limited ability to generalize to real-world settings, we conclude that in populations of examinees such as those represented in the polygraph research literature, untrained in countermeasures, specific-incident polygraph tests for event-specific investigations can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection. Accuracy may be highly variable across situations. The evidence does not allow any precise quantitative estimate of polygraph accuracy or provide confidence that accuracy is stable across personality types, sociodemographic groups, psychological and medical conditions, examiner and examinee expectancies, or ways of administering the test and selecting questions. In particular, the evidence does not provide confidence that polygraph accuracy is robust against potential countermeasures. There is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods.[/font]

Note that:

1) This estimate of accuracy does not specify what kind of polygraph tests, e.g., CQT vs. R/I vs. GKT "can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance."

2) The authors' conclusion that polygraph tests "can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance" is conditioned upon the subject population being similar to "those represented in the polygraph research literature," that is, ignorant of polygraph procedure and countermeasures. Such ignorance cannot be safely assumed, especially with information on both polygraph procedure and countermeasures readily available via the Internet.

3) If the authors' conclusion that "the evidence does not allow any precise quantitative estimate of polygraph accuracy..." is correct, then it (a fortiori) follows that software algorithms peddled by polygraph manufacturers such as Axciton and Stoelting that purport to determine with mathematical precision the probability that a particular individual is lying or telling the truth are worthless.

4) The authors conclude that "the evidence does not provide confidence that polygraph accuracy is robust against potential countermeasures."  It is not safe to assume that anyone passing a polygraph "test" has told the truth.

5) The last sentence of the above-cited paragraph is the key one with regard to polygraph validity (as opposed to accuracy): "There is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods." What this means is that there is no evidence that polygraph "testing" provides greater predictive value than, say, interrogating a subject without the use of a polygraph, or with a colandar-wired-to-a-photocopier that is represented to the subject as being a lie detector.

The NAS's conlusion that "specific-incident polygraph tests for event-specific investigations can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection" with naive subject populations is hardly a vindication for the validity of CQT polygraphy, and those in the polygraph community are formally cautioned against publicly misrepresenting it as such, as you can expect to be publicly called out on it.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Nov 13th, 2002 at 9:50pm
"The NAS's conclusion that "specific-incident polygraph tests for event-specific investigations can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection" with naive subject populations is hardly a vindication for the validity of CQT polygraphy, and those in the polygraph community are formally cautioned against publicly misrepresenting it as such, as you can expect to be publicly called out on it."

OK George, exactly where did the NAS report discuss "naive subject populations"?  You quote the damn report then turn it around by using your own words, then you have the balls to caution others about misrepresenting the report?  Who are you trying to kid here, other then the likes of those that hang on every BS word you write?

No one says that polygraph is perfect, nor 100% accurate, but what is?  What technique, used in any field or profession is perfect or 100% accurate.  Your analogy of, "there is no evidence that polygraph "testing" provides greater predictive value than, say, interrogating a subject without the use of a polygraph, or with a colandar-wired-to-a-photocopier that is represented to the subject as being a lie detector" is simply unbelievable.  Comments like this reveal your refusal to acknowledge, in any way, the many criminal investigations that have been resolved through the skillful use of the polygraph technique coupled with interviews and other investigative techniques.   

You're so damn willing to throw the baby out with the bath water simply because you believe you were wronged when you took a polygraph examination.  That's a pretty self centered, and arrogant view on life George.  I'm surprised you're not totally against child birth since you got your ass slapped when you were born.    

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #44 - Nov 14th, 2002 at 2:41am
Batman wrote on Nov 13th, 2002 at 9:50pm:

No one says that polygraph is perfect, nor 100% accurate, but what is?  What technique, used in any field or profession is perfect or 100% accurate.

No, but lying sacks of excrement like Florida Polygraph Association past president George Slattery gets damn close. In fact, most profesisonally-lying polygraphers boast anywhere from 100% to the mid 90%-- statistics that we (the informed) know are pure unadulterated crap.

Get back on the porch, whiner.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
A Polygraph Failure

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X