Normal Topic How many people really past poly test? (Read 6968 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JJ
New User

How many people really past poly test?
Oct 25th, 2002 at 5:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
     I was wondering how many people really pass the poly test out of 18,000 applicants each year in the LAPD pool? It seems that the other tests are easy and the real tough part is passing the polygraph test because they only hire around 300-400 per year. Also, can you help me with the written psych test? What kind of questions are they going to ask for example and how are they going to grade. Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box heartspounding
New User

Re: How many people really past poly test?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2002 at 2:30am
The written psych is, as far as I know, a MPPI. Minnesota Personality Profile Inventory...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2002 at 3:11am

heartspounding wrote on Oct 29th, 2002 at 2:30am:

The written psych is, as far as I know, a MPPI. Minnesota Personality Profile Inventory... 

I think you mean MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory).  Actually, the one in use today is the MMPI-2.

It's a tool designed to be used as part of a general diagnostic psychological workup, not for employment screening.

Skeptic

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2002 at 4:03am
I stand corrected!

Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2002 at 11:06pm
Skeptic
What tools should be used in a pre-employment situation (ref. psychological screening)
I will look into our process when and if you respond.  When you say your background is in psychology, do you mean to say that you are working in the field, or just have the degree and do something else?
You never said how your job applications went....

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 12:33am
The_Breeze wrote on Oct 30th, 2002 at 11:06pm:

Skeptic
What tools should be used in a pre-employment situation (ref. psychological screening)
I will look into our process when and if you respond.  When you say your background is in psychology, do you mean to say that you are working in the field, or just have the degree and do something else?
You never said how your job applications went....

So many questions...
Yes, I have a degree in psychology, and I have worked in the field.  However, I am not a psychologist and am hardly qualified to recommend personality screening tests.

What I can tell you is that the MMPI-2 is intended and validated as a general diagnostic tool in the context of a full-blown psychological evaluation.  Generally speaking, it is intended to be used with people already presenting mental health difficulties.  No psychologist worth his or her salt would use the results as definitive or out-of-context (e.g. one cannot deduce that a subject is psychotic simply by looking at the MMPI's scores).

I'm not saying it has no utility in security prescreening, only that the test has not been validated for that purpose.  That's simply a warning; use the results this way at your own risk.  You will likely exclude some people who would make fine officers, or miss things that shouldn't be missed.  Kind of like the polygraph, I suppose.

I'm still waiting on the application process; thanks for asking Smiley

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 3:51am
Skeptic wrote on Oct 31st, 2002 at 12:33am:

I'm not saying it has no utility in security prescreening, only that the test has not been validated for that purpose.  That's simply a warning; use the results this way at your own risk.  You will likely exclude some people who would make fine officers, or miss things that shouldn't be missed.  Kind of like the polygraph, I suppose.

Hiring processes are notoriously inconsistent and arbitrary.  The main problem with the polygraph is not that it is as arbitrary, which all of us expect to some extent when applying for a job. The big problem is the sense of failure and rejection that occurs due to the widespread belief in the reliability of the polygraph.

If one isn't hired it is assumed that the chemistry wasn't right. If one fails a polygraph many assume they were lying about something important. This is the big problem. This effect may be mitigated by increasing public awareness of the inadequacies of the polygraph, which then decreases the placebo value.  Catch 22 of sorts.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 5:03am

Marty wrote on Oct 31st, 2002 at 3:51am:

Hiring processes are notoriously inconsistent and arbitrary.  The main problem with the polygraph is not that it is as arbitrary, which all of us expect to some extent when applying for a job. The big problem is the sense of failure and rejection that occurs due to the widespread belief in the reliability of the polygraph.

If one isn't hired it is assumed that the chemistry wasn't right. If one fails a polygraph many assume they were lying about something important. This is the big problem. This effect may be mitigated by increasing public awareness of the inadequacies of the polygraph, which then decreases the placebo value.  Catch 22 of sorts.

-Marty

Marty,
I agree with you completely regarding the impact on candidates.  However, I also find the particular arbitrariness of the polygraph troubling, not just from the standpoint of the candidate (who should at least be able to expect that the hiring process involves consideration for actual candidate characteristics), but from the larger national security point-of-view, as well.  It is as though a die is rolled, and those who roll certain numbers are deemed good security risks.  Not only is this a bad way to hire good people, but it's a good way to hire bad people, too -- people who can cost lives.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 7:40am
Skeptic wrote on Oct 31st, 2002 at 5:03am:

It is as though a die is rolled, and those who roll certain numbers are deemed good security risks.  Not only is this a bad way to hire good people, but it's a good way to hire bad people, too -- people who can cost lives.

Skeptic

That is perhaps one of the greatest risks. The magic like aura of the polygraph may well dilute other efforts which could make a real difference, significantly increasing the frequency of espionage.  It's not so much the coin flip aspect since the expected outcome remains unchanged, but if it does engender complacency elsewhere that produces net negative outcomes.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 7:46am
Not to contradict... As without this site and the wonderful contributions and insight from so many I would’ve never passed my poly… And more to the point, I’m sure that we’re all after the same thing for fundamentally decent and moral reasons.

BUT... I'm constantly dismayed at what I see as a fundamentally flawed approach to the dismantling of the Poly-Nation.

I see so many posts that blow a kiss to the unfortunate individual candidate who fails and his feeling of anger, dismay, etc. However, this critical point is then invariably buried with talk of “national security” and assorted big-picture concerns…. This, in my humble opinion, is a huge tactical error.

Concern about the polygraph’s failure to adequately protect “national security” is certainly important and valid; it, however, misses the mark completely. Legislators, government officials, et al will never change their collective position on the use of polygraph examinations because of such an ethereal argument… Why? Because it’s rhetoric… And rhetoric don’t vote. People vote. This is a people issue… 

An honest person that fails a polygraph examination has been denied opportunity to pursue a life-long dream – usually without recourse or adequate explanation. It’s effect on the person can be unbearable. However, we as a “movement” seem to shy away from making this personal cost our main point. It’s as though we ourselves truly believe that this outrageous treatment of citizens is in itself not enough of a reason to abolish this treacherous toy. I suggest that it is.

Instead, our most vociferous pleadings of national security concerns seem almost a collective yelping of a perverse testament of nationalism…  By shying from the personal cost in favor of pointing out “meatier” concerns… National security, spies, and the like. We seem to screaming, “See, WE’RE patriots, too!” The Jews tried that one… Didn’t work.

I mean… Christ, we’re obviously good citizens… Why would I be attempting to become a police officer? 

Instead, I suggest that we utilize a campaign of letters… Of petitions. Of substance… Contacting local media outlets with stories of polygraph abuse. Let “the man” know that a constituent has been treated unfairly, unethically, and cruelly by an arm of the state and something may happen… Let “the man” hear personal stories of despair. These are much more powerful.

No spy has ever been caught by a polygraph… Blah, blah, blather… Better points can be made… The Philadelphia PD’s experience that many candidates who passed polys turned out to have lied about substantial issues during the hiring process (including major crimes)… Let’s dig up some examples…

Bottom line: This toy dishonors and excludes honest men and women who have a calling to serve. It cheats the citizen.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 6:17pm
skeptic
OK, thanks-that gives me a starting point. I will hear what our psychologist has to say and perhaps speak of it later.  Im sure the "blunt instrument" label may apply here as well.

IP Logged

How many people really past poly test?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X