Normal Topic C-SPAN Call-In Program on Polygraphs (Read 4933 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

C-SPAN Call-In Program on Polygraphs
Oct 24th, 2002 at 12:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" program featured a live call-in program on polygraph screening this morning (Thursday, 24 Oct.). From the C-SPAN.org website:

Quote:
Stern, Paul, Director, National Research Council, Polygraph Testing Study

Mr. Stern will discuss the National Research Council's study on polygraph testing. Their final report, released earlier this month, concluded that polygraph examinations are too inaccurate for the federal government to rely on for screening prospective or current employees to identify spies or national-security risks. He will respond to audience telephone calls, faxes and electronic mail.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2002 at 10:01pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: TODAY: C-SPAN Call-In Program at 9:30 Eastern
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2002 at 9:59pm
The "Washington Journal" program with Dr. Paul Stern may now be watched on-line on demand at:

http://www.c-span.org/journal/

Scroll down to find the link to the polygraph segment.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: C-SPAN Call-In Program on Polygraphs
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2002 at 11:27am
George:
I especially found merit in the caller's statement about he disclaimer that a polygrapher askes the examanee to sign.   
Why SHOULD a polygrapher be absolved from any recourse should he or she inaccurately administer the test, or not be held accountable for false positives AND false negatives?   
I totally understand and accept the legalities and liabilities of insurance that could potentially be the basis for these disclaimers, but when our federal agencies tout their polygraphs as being this magical truth serium that is infallible, shouldn't someone bear the brunt of this liability other than the honest, now tarnished, civillian?  Or, are those just acceptable causalties of war now?Puhlease!   
Roll Eyes

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2002 at 7:13pm
Seeker,

You're absolutely right! That caller raised an excellent point. The widespread practice of shoving a liability waiver under the noses of polygraph subjects is strong evidence that the polygraph community, which professes to be "dedicated to truth" (American Polygraph Association motto), has little confidence in its abilities.

I think it's questionable whether such liability waivers should carry any legal weight. Those who sign cannot be said to have given informed consent to a polygraph examination, since polygraph practice requires that the subject be deliberately misled about the nature of the procedure. This element of fraud on the part of the polygrapher should equitably vitiate any waiver of rights signed by a polygraph examinee.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box heartspounding
New User

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 4:03am
Indulge my slightly disjointed post...

I suspect you guys won't agree... But even after my own personal hell-fire of rage after a few PD pre-emp polys, I think that it's a GREAT tool for pre-screening, IF -- and it's a big 'if'...

IF, the actual results of the poly weren't considered by the agency in question.

For instance, after taking the poly and having the department completing a diligent b/g invest, the agency took you into a room and said, "Your background's great. You were a real champ sticking w/ it during your XXX # of polys..."

Everybody's a winner. Gotta be in it to win it, et al...

In other words, I think it's a great tool to weed out flakes and nervous-types that would bury their head if confronted w/ a hairy scene on the streets... 

I read somewhere that when LAPD made the poly a mandatory step in the hiring process, out of the 60 plus that were scheduled, something like 25 or 30 canidates simply didn't show up to the poly exam... Dropped out w/o a whimper.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 4:14am
Dear Heartspounding,

Thank you for throwing out a bone of something to discuss after a weekend full of tripe.

Your example of what the polygraph might prove useful for is exactly what it is useful for:  the uneducated, naive, poor soul, who, as George M. might say, "believes that the colender that is wired to the refridgerator" can tell the difference between a lie and the truth.  I guess the sad part about it is, would you want this person to have to make split second decisions between life and death when he comes to your house on a break-in and your family is on the second floor?

Let's face it, polygraph screening is a waste of time and money.  Let's let it go the way of the dinosaur.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 6:18am
Heartspounding:
I would have been one of those who dropped out.  Not because of the suggestion that I be investigated, but at the continued practice of allowing this type of voodoo in light of all of the research done on this comic book writer's invention.  I cannot play the part of the hypocrite and submit to a polygraph after having knowledge about its fallacy.
Would subjecting oneself to a psychological third-degree tantamount to mental rape make me a whimp.  Perhaps in the eyes of some, but in the end to irresponsibly perpetuate this treacherous fraud is injudicious and negligent.  There simply is no further valid debate on the pre-screening issue.   
How do you put on a badge, swear an oath of truth and justice, then sit back and condone such an art?  I don't want Ms. Cleo charged with the responsiblity of judging the character of my LE.  I don't want her in a position to allow spies to continue their espionage, or to prohibit a desperately needed linguist from joining the ranks of our intelligence sector based upon a S.W.A.G...."slightly better than chance, and less than perfect."

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

C-SPAN Call-In Program on Polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X