Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) A Public Challenge to George Slattery (Read 21349 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

A Public Challenge to George Slattery
Oct 23rd, 2002 at 12:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Florida Polygraph Association past president George Slattery claims that polygraph "testing" has been proven to be nearly 100% reliable in a 23 October 2002 South Florida Sun Herald article by Diana Marrero titled "Figure in Rilya case takes plea deal." The article is about the case of Leo Epson, the son of one of missing 6-year-old Rilya Wilson's caretakers, "who accepted a plea deal in his fraud case Tuesday in exchange for his word that he will tell investigators what he knows" about the missing girl. The article states in relevant part:

Quote:
Epson, 39, originally faced up to six years in prison, but prosecutors wanted him to plead guilty and serve 364 days in jail, followed by five years of probation, in exchange for a statement verified by a lie detector test.

Over prosecution objections, Circuit Judge Daryl Trawick discarded the jail time, cut probation to two years, and gave Epson this choice: Take a lie detector test or perform 200 hours of community service.

Epson chose the community service.

Prosecutors say that without the lie detector test, they won't be able to verify his statements.

"We thought it was important that a lie detector test be used," Griffith said.

Though polygraphs are not admissible in court, they are commonly used as a tool to ensure the person agreeing to provide information for a plea deal is telling the truth. A lie often means the deal is off.

"For him [Epson] to say, `I'll talk but I won't verify it' makes no sense to me," said George Slattery, a Miami polygraph examiner who routinely conducts tests for law enforcement agencies and says polygraphs are proved to be nearly 100 percent reliable.

Challenge to George Slattery: support your claim that polygraphs are nearly 100 percent reliable. The National Academy of Sciences has recently concluded (at p. 168 of its report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection) that "[t]here is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: A Public Challenge to George Slattery
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 2:38pm
Diana Marrero can be reached at dmarrero@sun-sentinel.com or 305-810-5005, should anyone wish to contact her and alert her that she has been spoonfed erroneous information by Mr. Slattery for the purposes of bolstering-- at the expense of accurate reporting-- the false belief that polygraphy is anything but a pseudo-scientific fraud.

Quote:

Florida Polygraph Association past president George Slattery claims that polygraph "testing" has been proven to be nearly 100% reliable in a 23 October 2002 South Florida Sun Herald article by Diana Marrero titled "Figure in Rilya case takes plea deal." The article is about the case of Leo Epson, the son of one of missing 6-year-old Rilya Wilson's caretakers, "who accepted a plea deal in his fraud case Tuesday in exchange for his word that he will tell investigators what he knows" about the missing girl. The article states in relevant part:

Challenge to George Slattery: support your claim that polygraphs are nearly 100 percent reliable. The National Academy of Sciences has recently concluded (at p. 168 of its report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection) that "[t]here is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods."

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 3:01pm
beech trees,

I've e-mailed a letter to the editor of the South Florida Sun Herald letters@sun-sentinel.com, calling Mr. Slattery's claim into question and mentioning this public challenge. I copied the e-mail to Ms. Marrero dmarrero@sun-sentinel.com and to Mr. Slattery polygraph@georgeslattery.com.

I encourage others to contact the Sun Herald on this matter, too.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sie
User

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 9:53am
The Rilya Wilson is a heart felt tragedy for all Floridians. A tragedy that has resulted from the gross incompetence and negligence of the Florida Dept. Of Children and Family Services. For me, the buck stops at the Govenors Office and is why Jeb Bush will be rejected by Floridians.

Now, I no fan of Geralyn Graham. Her claim is someone from DCF came to pick up the child for a medical examination. On the steps of the Miami Dade County Police Dept. Govenor Bush rejected her claims as lies and stated she showed deception on her polygraph.

Now here is the scary part. After her statement that someone from DCF or posing as an agent of DCF came to pick up the child three other foster care parents reported similar incidents.

These reports have been down played by the media and the police. However, a new policy now requires the presents of a Police officer before DCF is allowed to remove or take custody of a child.

Ms, Grahams character brings forth many questions, like why the State of Florida would place a child in her household. But just maybe she is telling the truth and just maybe law enforcements investigation is being misdirected by the results of her polygraph.

Follow this story. I would not be surprized if in the end it turns out this child was abducted by some sick f*** posing as an agent of DCF.

Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sie
User

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 10:06am
Oh, by the way Mr Slattery will not as much as respond to your e-mail. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2002 at 10:13am
sie,

To date, I have not received any response from Mr. Slattery or the South Florida Sun Herald.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2002 at 9:20pm
Mr. Slattery, if you're out there, ponder this:

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.-- Saul Bellow

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 8:16am
A week has passed without a word from Mr. Slattery regarding his claim that polygraphs are nearly 100 percent reliable. It seems he's prepared to take a place in the Polygraph Hall of Shame, where he'll be joining other polygraphers who have misled the media:

Milton O. "Skip" Webb, Jr. (President, American Polygraph Association)

Frank Horvath (Past President, American Polygraph Association)

Harry Reed (President, Illinois Polygraph Society)

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MSlatt

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 12:07am
The people that say a polygraph is not reliable are the ones that have been hooked up and had their lie revealed* Here is an idea, Lets hook up this dork from this site in front of his loved ones, friends, past and present bosses and co-workers and ask him his deepest truths and deceptions and then debate this*
Tongue

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 12:55am
Quote:
The people that say a polygraph is not reliable are the ones that have been hooked up and had their lie revealed* Here is an idea, Lets hook up this dork from this site in front of his loved ones, friends, past and present bosses and co-workers and ask him his deepest truths and deceptions and then debate this*
Tongue

I say the polygraph is not reliable and I never had my lies revealed for the simple reason that I didn't tell any lies.  Despite that, I failed three out of four polygraphs.

If the polygraph was reliable I would have passed all four tests because I was telling the truth on all of them and my answers didn't change on any of them.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 6:09pm
Quote:
The people that say a polygraph is not reliable are the ones that have been hooked up and had their lie revealed*

To my knowledge, the folks from the National Academy of Sciences who reported the polygraph to be NOT reliable, have NEVER been hooked up to a polygraph.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:43am
exactly~

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:53am
Quote:
exactly~

Nice non-sequitur response.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:01am
My 'non-response ' isn't obvious? 
Both responses to my comment seem to support my thoughts.
How many scientists have made claims to something they never experienced and later their 'theory' was 'proven' incorrect? 
I think one fact about the polygraph test is that it is a machine,
the machine is not doing the thinking, it is mearly reporting on what it is being fed. The element that makes the test accurate is the person creating the testing questions and how skillfully they ask the same questions in different contexts. Doing this with intelligence and skill is how George Slattery's important work he did came to be amicable as evidence in a court of law on so many national cases* 
GBS has been quoted many times in his life, unless you had a face to face conversation with GBS it makes you a bit small to judge him*
You are supported by others that have limited knowledge of the wide range of actual facts on this matter and I dont expect to suddenly enlighten any of you* My best to all of you*  Grin

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:09am
Quote:
My 'non-response ' isn't obvious? 
Both responses to my comment seem to support my thoughts.
How many scientists have made claims to something they never experienced and later their 'theory' was 'proven' incorrect? 
I think one fact about the polygraph test is that it is a machine,
the machine is not doing the thinking, it is mearly reporting on what it is being fed. The element that makes the test accurate is the person creating the testing questions and how skillfully they ask the same questions in different contexts. Doing this with intelligence and skill is how George Slattery's important work he did came to be amicable as evidence in a court of law on so many national cases* 
GBS has been quoted many times in his life, unless you had a face to face conversation with GBS it makes you a bit small to judge him*
You are supported by others that have limited knowledge of the wide range of actual facts on this matter and I dont expect to suddenly enlighten any of you* My best to all of you*  Grin

You wrote that the people who say the polygraph is not reliable are the ones who have been hooked up to it and had their lies revealed.  Cullen and I offered examples of people who say the polygraph is not reliable and who have not been "hooked up" and have not "had their lies revealed".  These examples refuted your statement, yet your follow up post indicated we had proved your point for you.  

Your response did not make sense.

IP Logged

A Public Challenge to George Slattery

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X