Normal Topic My CIA experience. (Read 7204 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

My CIA experience.
Oct 19th, 2002 at 9:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I started last october excited as hell about a chance to work for the CIA.  This is something I always dreamed about and I was actually going to get the chance.  Interview went well and after 4 months I had a visit scheduled.

This is when I got less excited.  The office visit was fun, I actually went to HQ and got the grand tour.   

The polygraph was hell.  I had two separate polys.  Both lasted 3 hours.  At the end of the first one we had a discussion about the questions I had "issues" with.  Which happened to be about drug use and terrorism.  I thought it was nonsense and told the polygrapher I had no issues here.  I had already admitted to some pretty minor stuff - they are good interrogators.  We ended there and I came back the next day for another poly.  Happened the same way.  I was starting to get frustrated and so was my polygrapher I think.  At one point, after I was grilled for an hour and a half about drug use, I told her obviously the polygraph doesn't work.  The polygrapher got enraged and said "Dont say it doesnt work" with a "from hell" look on her face.  Soon after this she left to go check out the results.  She left for like ten minutes.  I have my suspicion that they were just watching me or something.  She came back and told me it was inconclusive.  When I said "Its good that its over" she said "Well its good for me, but bad for you."  She said more to allude that I didn't have a chance at the job.

I was crushed.  I told the truth, I didnt do anything major in my whole life and this #$@# just told me my war was over.  After this I was pretty pissed at the CIA and found this site.  Well several months later I get a call.  I actually passed.  I have no idea why my polgrapher hassled me so much.  And I hope, if I take the job, I never see that @#$@# again.

Moral of the story, there is no sure bets when in this process.  It makes no sense how they do things and when they tell you you pass, sometimes you fail and when they tell you you fail, sometimes you pass.

Good luck all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: My CIA experience.
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2002 at 10:44pm
It is to be hoped that, should you accept employment with the CIA, by the time your next regular polygraph interrogation would be scheduled (5 years hence) polygraph screening will be a thing of the past, and the polygraph charlatans at CIA will have found more honest and productive employment elsewhere.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ithilnen

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 7:40am
Shocked Same stuff with me. 

I had my first poly in November 2001 in which they kept me WAY over time. During this session I was told not to repeat any questions they grilled me on. 

My 2nd poly was about two weeks ago. Same questions, same crap. I actually figured out they were lying to me and deceiving me as well. This time around I was NOT told to keep the poly session private. So, if they didn't tell me to keep my mouth shut, oh well....

I confessed my little brains out. According to the poly I knew how to hack every system out there, but in reality I can barely run my own computer, much less find simple stuff.

Now, here's the kicker. According to the poly I was not trying to hold back information or cheat the test. I passed THAT question. However, I didn't pass the drug or computer questions. Now, if I wasn't lying when I said I wasn't trying to hold back information or lying, how can I be lying on my computer skills or past drug usage? I  caught my polygrapher in a deliberate lie, but played along anyhow. He was not pleased in the slightest. 

Will I get the job, I still have yet to find out. I've lead a pretty clean and decent life. I'm highly responsible, and can handle heavy stress extremly well. I also know when to keep my mouth shut. 

But, when they lie to me and deceive me during the poly, it just infuriates me to no end.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Failed by M.T.

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 8:19am
Well, I hope that your CIA experience is indicative of my 2nd FBI polygraph.  S.A. M.T. told me that I failed.                        

I was shocked.  Like you I told the truth the 2nd time and had no last minute revelations (I had already fully disclosed that information).  He said that I did not pass the same two questions that I did not pass on my 1st polygraph.   

I really didn't believe him and he kept trying to get me to "tell him something else" so he could put me back in the chair and I would "sail right through."   

I have to admit that my failing the two questions didn't make sense to me, especially since I didn't have a problem with the question about my "intent to decieve him during the test" question.  One would logically think that if I was going to decieve him during the test that question would have given him a "bad read" too.  If not all three times at least one or two times.   

The only admission that I could make was that I still felt bad about an action that I did that losely related to one of the two question I "failed."  He then quickly dismissed my remorse and stated that I had something else that I was "holding in."  I knew he was really fishing when he asked me about the drug usage question, because I never used drugs, I hardly even drink.   

The funny thing was I read through chapter 3 last night and realized that everything that was stated in the post-session was true.  They make up stuff and try to get you "confess."   
All, I can say is that the whole process really makes you doubt yourself, especially if you don't know the whole story behind how polygraphs work.  But now that I know the truth about the polygraph, I am really upset that they do the very thing that they accuse me of doing, lying.   

My real question is, how many people use the counter measures and pass?  I am willing to bet that the fail rate of 50% (at least for the FBI) may be even greater if a number of people are using CMs and not getting caught!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 3:03pm

Quote:

I really didn't believe him and he kept trying to get me to "tell him something else" so he could put me back in the chair and I would "sail right through."  

Dear Failed,

I completely believe your story after three polygraphs with the FBI.  Your quote above must be a standard FBI polygraph bait line for confessions since my examiner used a very similar attack.  He led me to believe that my readings could be ignored if he could "understand" what was bothering me.  This is the same agent who was viciously attacking my credibility just five minutes before he turned "good cop."  I think I was more upset that he thought I was stupid enough to buy his crap than I was about being accused by voodoo "polygraph results."

The FBI throws away many good candidates because they have such a huge surplus of applicants.  I know that what they did to you is not right and I would still send an appeal letter describing your experience to the Chief, Applicant Division, in Washington, D.C., so it can be placed in your record that you did not agree and are disputing their findings.  This letter could be very important if someone investigates your background in the future.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Failed by M.T.

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 6:16pm
I guess the big question still for me, did I pass or fail?  I am still holding out hope, even if it is a slim chance.  I read the first post of this discussion and also read in the book "See No Evil" by Robert Baer, how the polygraphers for the CIA mis-lead the applicants about their test results and contact them at a later date.  I am hoping the maybe the FBI does this too.  I have yet to recieve my letter regarding the results of my polygraph.  I remember getting the results of my first polygraph within a few weeks.  I will check the previous correspondences later today to establish the proper time line for their response.  

I will follow your advise and write another letter requesting a 3rd test (assuming that the polygrapher wasn't lying about me not passing) and mentioning the "irregularities" that I noticed in this 2nd polygraph as well as the boarder-line abusive language and deception employed by the polygrapher.

My first posting was under the section: Polygraph and CVSA Forums / Share Your Polygraph or CVSA Experience / Re: Proof my FBI polygraph was a joke...

I think that these agencies should just rank applicants and call them as they need them based upon their background/skills and ranking.  This would be a lot easier to deal with rather than arbitrailly disqualifying candidates based on an objective testing method.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 10:02pm
I got word that I didnt my polygraph for the FBI. The polygraph was hell and I was made to feel like a criminal the whole time. No wonder lawyers never let their clients take a poly. I was told I was a liar and that the FBI doesnt hire liars. But if there is one thing that this whole experience taught me is that I could never have been an agent because I dont think I have the "meanness" in me that the polygrapher had.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1TBone
New User

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2003 at 3:28am
they still believe in this polygraph mumbo jumbo....
pathetic
the problem seems to be that these types live in their own world !
they can never ask a direct question
instead of
"who does so and so work for ?"
they ask
"where did you meet so and so ?"
Grin

IP Logged

My CIA experience.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X