Normal Topic False Confessions (Read 3243 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

False Confessions
Oct 10th, 2002 at 10:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Aside from the evident problems with polygrapher-fabricated confessions that have been documented in part on this board, false confessions themselves, made under conditions of psychological duress (such as those found in polygraph sessions) are evidently more common than most people think, and have likely resulted in many wrongful convictions.

I'm sure many of us have had the experience of being hounded (by parents, teachers or some other authority figure) on some issue to the point that telling the tormentor what he or she wanted to hear seemed the best option.  I know I have.

Here's an interesting review paper on the topic:

Conti, Richard P., "The Psychology of False Confessions", The Journal of Credibility Assessment and Witness Psychology, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1999, pp 14-36

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: False Confessions
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 10:12pm

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 11:17pm
Yes. No question false confessions occur. In fact, looking at the APA study there is nothing even particularly surprising about it. There is a great deal of evidence that shows people adapt their perceptions and even global take on reality to maximize internal consistency. For similar reasons that eyewitnesses are so unreliable, it is most likely that someone could falsely confess to a specific burglary they did not commit if in fact they had done numerous burglaries. They are not absolutely certain they did not commit that specific one as the details of each become co-mingled. OTOH, it is far less likely that someone who has never commited burglary could become convinced, outside of extreme and long term conditioning, that they had in fact done so.

In the case of the typing study, there are defects in the study tieing typing errors to criminal activity. For instance, if the "ALT" key crash paradigm had been different, requiring specific intent (it was always accidental) then it's safe to say the results would have been quite different. For instance, if the person had been warned about the pressing the computer's reset button it would be much harder to convince a person that she had pressed the reset, since the probability of doing it by accident when typing is miniscule.  Extrapolation of those results to major criminal activity is speculative at best.

Now for a rather surprising anecdote on memory. When I was a child, we had a neighbor, a woman born around 1930.  One day it was pointed out that no country had ever used nuclear weapons in war, except of course us.  She became quite indignant, stating in no uncertain terms that the United States would NEVER have used nuclear weapons first and insisted that Japan used them initially when they attacked Pearl Harbor.

While not a particularly educated person she was functional and could read and write. More to the point, she was an adolescent during the time that history was made. It's hard to imagine a less forgetable set of events. I believe that it wasn't a mental defect so much as an alignment of memory to reduce the dissonance created by her memories.

Talk about false memories.  And she didn't even have any facilitators recovering those memories. Did it all on her own.

-Marty
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2002 at 11:38pm by Marty »  

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 11:37pm
Skeptic,

Skeptic wrote on Oct 10th, 2002 at 10:01pm:

I'm sure many of us have had the experience of being hounded (by parents, teachers or some other authority figure) on some issue to the point that telling the tormentor what he or she wanted to hear seemed the best option.  I know I have.

Agreed. There is a difference between telling big brother what he wants to hear and coming to love big brother (and believe what you tell him).  The latter seems more pernicious and can have wider consequences.  The biggest risk of false, but firmly believed, memories probably lies more on the witness side but witnesses have long been known to be unreliable, even without "help."

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

False Confessions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X