Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NAS Polygraph Report (Read 51215 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: NAS Polygraph Report
Reply #75 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 4:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Here's a question for those with the time:
I haven't had a chance to read the whole NAS report word for word.  Can anyone discern whether the NAS combined GKT tests with specific-issue tests of the CQT variety in their conclusions regarding the efficacy of specific-issue testing?  

I know they did note the different types in the body of the report, and I think they remarked on the better false-positive characteristics of GKT's, but I'm not sure whether they differentiated between them in the conclusion nor whether they found any differences in accuracy.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box touche
New User

Reply #76 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 6:10pm
From the NAS report:

Background Investigation Not Good Enough to Replace the Polygraph

"Available evidence does not suggest that any direct investigation method is likely to provide a reasonable and valid alternative to the polygraph."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #77 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 6:26pm
touche,

The claim "Background Investigation Not Good Enough to Replace the Polygraph" is your own; that headline does not appear in the NAS report. While the NAS report does indeed state at p. 6-17 that "[a]vailable evidence does not suggest that any direct investigation method is likely to provide a reasonable and valid alternative to the polygraph," neither does the report conclude that polygraph screening is reasonable and/or valid. Indeed, quite the opposite. The report notes with regard to polygraphy in general (and not just screening) at p. 8-2: "There is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods."

Sorry touche, you're grasping at straws. There is no life ring for polygraph screening to be found in the NAS report. Cry

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #78 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 6:40pm

Quote:

touche,

The claim "Background Investigation Not Good Enough to Replace the Polygraph" is your own; that headline does not appear in the NAS report. While the NAS report does indeed state at p. 6-17 that "[a]vailable evidence does not suggest that any direct investigation method is likely to provide a reasonable and valid alternative to the polygraph," neither does the report conclude that polygraph screening is reasonable and/or valid. Indeed, quite the opposite. The report notes with regard to polygraphy in general (and not just screening) at p. 8-2: "There is essentially no evidence on the incremental validity of polygraph testing, that is, its ability to add predictive value to that which can be achieved by other methods."

Actually, Touche took the quote out of context, too.  The section from which he lifted the quote was not referring to the general efficacy of BI's; rather, it was talking specifically about alternative methods of detecting deception.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #79 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 6:53pm
The polygraph proponents are trying to test some headlines on this website before putting them out on the net.  I guest they wanted to see how well the NAS report has been read.

I have to thank touche for the bad quote.  It has brought back focus to the debate.

Background investigations were the only method used for all FBI veteran employees hired before 1994.  

Would those employees want to be subjected to tests during their next five year background check?

If not, why?

Because they are a poor predictor of future behavior according to the NAS.

That is why their next five year check will be a background check and it will be acceptable to the FBI without polygraph "approval."  The background check IS an acceptable means according to FBI policy (as long as you have a job already). 

Seems to be a very confusing and illogical arguement in light of mandatory employee pre-screening polygraph.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #80 - Nov 26th, 2002 at 11:26pm
George, this posting is primarily for your information.  I do not care to engage in any discussions with anyone else on this matter, which is why I am not detailing it here.  It would seem that you engage in considerable research and I would like to BEGIN to bring something to your attention.  I do not do this to generate any argument, rather to BEGIN to refute a statement that has been made and proliferated on this site.  I DO realize that YOU were not the one who made the statement, yet, the challenge will now be to you to acknowledge an error.  This error will become evident to you when you read the following:

"Lie Detectors - Their History and Use", ; Eugene Block; 1977, page 117-21   ISBN 0-679-50755-0

I look forward to your response.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #81 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 7:16am
touche,

Could you fax me a copy of these pages at (206) 666-4271, or perhaps e-mail me scanned images?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #82 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 3:54pm
Unfortunately, at this time I have neither capability.  Inasmuch as the statement at issue appears in the much vaunted NAS report AND additionally attibuted to Mr. Mallah by Mr. Park and the American Physical Society, perhaps he (Mallah) can assist you in reviewing and providing you with a copy. Remember, this is but the first one.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #83 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 8:33pm
touche,

Since it may be a while before I obtain the pages you've referenced, could you post a synopsis?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #84 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 9:16pm
Unfortunately, no, I cannot assist. I am in an airport on a laptop and do not have the material with me.  Suggest interlibrary loan

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #85 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 9:29pm
Quote:
Unfortunately, at this time I have neither capability.  Inasmuch as the statement at issue appears in the much vaunted NAS report AND additionally attibuted to Mr. Mallah by Mr. Park and the American Physical Society, perhaps he (Mallah) can assist you in reviewing and providing you with a copy. Remember, this is but the first one.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I have a guess:   the statement that the polygraph has never caught a single spy in all its history.

If that is the statement you are referring to, bear in mind that none other than Ed Curran, on 60 Minutes II, said that even he was not aware of any spies caught by the polygraph.

Touche, it would really be so much easier and convenient and courteous if you facilitated discussion by summarizing the information contained within those pages.  If you do not want others to see it, you can send George and/or I a private message through this web site with that summary.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #86 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 2:30am
Mark....Now why should I do that? You and your friends would not believe me. Actually, I fully expect you to attack the authenticity of the book, when and if you ever read it. But that is okay, because many will go to the source and read it. It has nothing to do with what Curran said.  It is what you said to Park and what has been perpetuated on this site. I would appreciate it if you wouldnot lecture me on the iossue of coutesy. If you cannot keep up on the statements you make to people, perhaps you should not make them.  I merely asked you to assist your friend George because of his physical location and because I anticipated an attack should it come from anyone other than you allies. If you cannot, or will not, that is between you and him. It may take some time, but sooner of later, he will obtain it and the statement is irrefutable. I am not in a hurry, this book has been in print since 1977 and apparently neither you, George or the NAS took the time to read it or research their claims in the manner which one would expect scientists working on behalf of the government should.  I certainly hope that your readers will not think that other things you say may be less than precise?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #87 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 5:35am

touche wrote on Dec 2nd, 2002 at 2:30am:

Mark....Now why should I do that? You and your friends would not believe me. Actually, I fully expect you to attack the authenticity of the book, when and if you ever read it. But that is okay, because many will go to the source and read it. It has nothing to do with what Curran said.  It is what you said to Park and what has been perpetuated on this site. I would appreciate it if you wouldnot lecture me on the iossue of coutesy. If you cannot keep up on the statements you make to people, perhaps you should not make them.

What a silly thing to say, given that you don't even have the courage to clarify to which statement you're referring.  Are you that afraid of fair debate?

This hit-and-run argument by innuendo is, indeed, very discourteous.

Quote:
I merely asked you to assist your friend George because of his physical location and because I anticipated an attack should it come from anyone other than you allies. If you cannot, or will not, that is between you and him. It may take some time, but sooner of later, he will obtain it and the statement is irrefutable.

Your clear reluctance to present it here so readers may discuss it and judge for themselves belies your claims of confidence.

Quote:
I am not in a hurry, this book has been in print since 1977 and apparently neither you, George or the NAS took the time to read it or research their claims in the manner which one would expect scientists working on behalf of the government should.  I certainly hope that your readers will not think that other things you say may be less than precise?

Another comical statement, given your deliberate vagueness here.

Either present your evidence or retract your statements, Touche.  You're not going to win any debate with arguments you never make and evidence you won't provide.

Skeptic

IP Logged

New User

Reply #88 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 6:07am
See George/Mark, this is exactly what I mean. I was having a discussion with the two of you, and Skeptic somehow found it necessary to horn in and offer the same kind of...what did you guys call it..."ad hominem" arguments. Skeptic: if it bothered you THAT much, the citation was there for all to obtain. George couldn't get it because of HIS physical location and I suggested thatMark provide it for him.  No offense Mark and George because I believe you read and understood my posting where I commented that given my physical location, I was unable to get my hands on the source for George's purposes. In time, I am sure you will get it and see to what I am referring. Mark, you are correct, it outlines a detailed use of the polygraph in WWII concerning the discovery of a Nazi spy.  I just wanted you to read it completely, have an opportunity to check the sources and respond.  Skeptic, mind your own business.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #89 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 6:35am
touche wrote on Dec 2nd, 2002 at 6:07am:

See George/Mark, this is exactly what I mean. I was having a discussion with the two of you, and Skeptic somehow found it necessary to horn in and offer the same kind of...what did you guys call it..."ad hominem" arguments.

Touche, if you want a private conversation on these boards you can send a direct message.  You, on the other hand, have been posting publicly.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you post something on a public bulletin board, by convention it's pretty much fair gaime for anyone.

Quote:
Skeptic: if it bothered you THAT much, the citation was there for all to obtain.

Unfortunately, it's not.  The book appears to be out of print and not even available in my local University library (a fairly comprehensive source).  

Furthermore, it's your evidence; present it!  I simply have little wish to buy a used, out-of-print book through Amazon to read one passage.

Good Lord, man: if the evidence is "irrefutable" as you say, you should have no qualms presenting it here.

Quote:
George couldn't get it because of HIS physical location and I suggested thatMark provide it for him.  No offense Mark and George because I believe you read and understood my posting where I commented that given my physical location, I was unable to get my hands on the source for George's purposes. In time, I am sure you will get it and see to what I am referring. Mark, you are correct, it outlines a detailed use of the polygraph in WWII concerning the discovery of a Nazi spy.  I just wanted you to read it completely, have an opportunity to check the sources and respond.  Skeptic, mind your own business.

I'm sorry you felt your posts were visable only to George and/or Mark.  If you post something publicly, however, you really have no reasonable expectation of a private conversation, and what you're posting is of potential interest to everyone here.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
NAS Polygraph Report

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X