Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NAS Polygraph Report (Read 50891 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mriddle6 (Guest)

Re: NAS Polygraph Report
Reply #60 - Oct 11th, 2002 at 8:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Public Servant:

I could be missing something, but i believe this site is dealing with polygraph screening tests used by the FBI, CIA and DOE for employment purposes and to catch a spy.

Nothing on this site has attacked Law enforcements use of the polygraph in an active on going criminal investigation. I believe once someone gives up their right remain silent than LE has the right and obligation to take the gloves off and use whatever means necessary... "Whatever works"

It is also the responsibility of LE, however; to ensure that any confession or admission of guilt is validated by hard evidence. One should never be convicted and punished solely on the basis of polygraph results nor should one be less suspect because he "Passed". 

Yeah, its a tool. But if its not used properly someone can be hurt.

Keep up the good boys and go get'em.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #61 - Oct 14th, 2002 at 10:05am
George, 

I stand corrected.  I was writing from memory and did not look back to see who commented on a portion of the APA response or to recognize that you had already linked it.  It was actually a comment from Drew that was taken out of context:

Quote:
And with regard to the aforementioned watch for responsible behavior, George's last post including a statement from the APA would not suggest a good start.  Its claim that it was not invited to the party is silly and immaterial.   The chiefs of the federal polygraph programs who were in attendance at every public meeting (and even many for which antipolygraph critics were not invited) are all associated and presumably members of the APA.  No resource that the APA might have provided was likely withheld and certainly no pro-polygraph evidence within the federal polygraph community not generally available to the APA would have been withheld from panel members.  

My point was that yes the APA did distance themselves from the report in this way, yet I saw little that could be considered irresponsible.  I saw little that seemed to be an attempt to debunk or discredit the report, and there was a seeming approval of the call for further research and development.  My question should have been directed to Drew, so I could get more specifics on what he disliked so I could re-read more critically.  

Lastly, George, the NAS report said validity was neither proven or disproven, we each could spin it either way, but I think it's a little extreme to spin it thus:
Quote:
Absent any convincing proof, there is no more reason to believe that polygraphers can detect deception using CQT polygraphy than there is to believe that self-styled clairvoyants can communicate with the dead. (That it has not been proven that clairvoyants can't communicate with the dead lends no credibility to the notion that they can.)

When you get me a clairvoyant to have as much success as I have in resolving criminal investigations then I'll agree to your correlation.  Until then you might consider contributing spin material to James Carville.  

Regards

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2002 at 10:32am by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #62 - Oct 14th, 2002 at 10:31am
TwoBlock and Mriddle6,

First of all, thanks for the kind comments.   

TwoBlock, I am sorry to hear of your poor first impression with poly.  Two comments:  Likely you responded little to the relative questions if you purposely lied to them, since you obviously felt little concern about any consequences to the lie (or you were given a CQT and you actually lied about the comparisons which you told were relevant).  Also, I'd like to think we've come a long way, in Polygraph, in Law Enforcement, and as a people, since the 1960's.   

Mriddle6, don't be duped into believing George, and many others on this site, exclude SI LE exams from their attacks.  Read thoroughly past threads, and this one.  They seek to remove screening first (easier to attack) and then eliminate any lie detection method available to the government in any form, for any purpose.  George makes no apologies that if his techniques work, a criminal may allude suspicion or an innocent person may intensify suspicion by being caught using such techniques.  And don't worry, in the country for which I work, admissible evidence is everything -- even confessions must be corrorated with further evidence to obtain a conviction.   

The beauty of our constitution is that you can argue either side of an issue regarding rights quaranteed by it, and not necessarily be wrong either way.  It's just which side of an argument best protects, or most benefits, the people.  That's why I don't argue regarding the motivations of this site.  I just feel the methodology and even some of the results sought, could be quite detrimental.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #63 - Oct 14th, 2002 at 10:50am
Public Servant,

You write in part:

Quote:
When you get me a clairvoyant to have as much success as I have in resolving criminal investigations then I'll say agree to your correlation.  Until then you might consider contributing spin to James Carville.

The point I'm trying to make is that if those making a positive assertion (e.g., polygraphers who assert that CQT polygraphy is a valid test for deception) wish to be believed, then it is incumbent on them to prove the assertion, and not on others to disprove it.

Such success as you may have had in resolving criminal investigations using CQT polygraphy may demonstrate its utility, but it does not provide any evidence for its validity.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #64 - Oct 14th, 2002 at 11:18am
George,

Point taken.  And I have discussed the reasons for difficulty in proving validity, extensively on various occasions here. 

However, success in SI exams such as those I conduct, must show it is much more reliable than TV gimmickry or anyone simply claiming clairvoyancy.  Thus there is a much higher chance of validity for SI polygraph than clairvoyancy.  This indicates an intentional attempt, on your part, to attach the same credibility of "Miss Cleo" or one of the speaking to the dead shows, to an accepted investigative tool and the sworn officers who utilize it.  A bit of a radical deviation from fact, I'd say.  And adding this metaphor...
Quote:
(That it has not been proven that clairvoyants can't communicate with the dead lends no credibility to the notion that they can.)

insinuates the NAS report said that it had proven polygraph invalid and unreliable.  It said no such thing.  And it definitely put SI poly infinitely above such things as talking to the dead.  Of course since it made no specific mention of clairvoyancy, I am assuming the NAS has the same opinion as you and I do about such things.

Signing off now.  Enjoy.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #65 - Oct 14th, 2002 at 11:23am
Public Servant writes in part:

Quote:
Mriddle6, don't be duped into believing George, and many others on this site, exclude SI LE exams from their attacks.  Read thoroughly past threads, and this one.  They seek to remove screening first (easier to attack) and then eliminate any lie detection method available to the government in any form, for any purpose.

I have certainly been critical of law enforcement's reliance on polygraphy in criminal investigations such as the FBI's ongoing anthrax investigation, or its abortive investigation into the matter of the missing hard disks at Los Alamos National Laboratory, or the Department of Energy and FBI's polygraph interrogations of Wen Ho Lee (see Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for critical commentary on the latter case.)

But I am not seeking to "eliminate any lie detection method available to the government in any form." No method of lie detection is known to exist. Instead, we have pseudoscientific nonsense such as CQT polygraphy and voice stress analysis, techniques that rely for their utility on public belief in the unfounded notion that they can detect lies. When a genuine method of lie detection is invented, I'll have no quarrel with it. But for as long as I am able, I'll continue working to expose CQT polygraphy for the fraud that it is. I believe that society will benefit when mention of a polygraph "test" evokes universal laughter, and the pseudoscience of polygraphy takes its rightful place next to phrenology and graphology in the trash heap of abandoned quackeries.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #66 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 3:10pm
Public Servant,

With regard to the shortcomings of my comparison of polygraphy to clairvoyancy, I agree with you to some extent. The analogy is wanting in two important respects:

1) CQT polygraphy purports to be a diagnostic test; clairvoyancy does not.

2) Practioners of CQT polygraphy makes no claim to supernatural powers, whereas clairvoyants clearly do. (Nonetheless, when polygraphers claim they have the ability to detect deception, they are in effect claiming to be "mind readers.")

Extraordinary claims (like the claimed ability to detect deception) demand extraordinary proof. There is no such proof for polygraphy: we are left with no reason to believe that polygraphers have any ability to actually detect deception through CQT polygraphy, or that they ever will.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #67 - Oct 16th, 2002 at 2:09am
It's distressing to note the latest news story in the L.A. Times regarding many agencies still refusing to abandon polygraph screening.  I suppose it will take a bunch of lawsuits (possibly on due process/equal protection grounds?) or the actions of lawmakers to force security personnel to "do their jobs".

(That last remark really isn't intended to be as scathing as it sounds, BTW.  I really do understand why polygraph screening is used.  Security personnel, like everyone else, want to get the "most bang for the buck", and the most efficiency possible -- especially in an era of politicians who have sold the public on the idea that government services should just happen for free.  Unfortunately, polygraph screening simply doesn't work.  As they say, "you get what you pay for", and unfortunately, polygraph screening is cheap snake oil.  It's no substitute for the drudgery, expense and time investment of more thorough background checks.)

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #68 - Oct 16th, 2002 at 4:44am
Skeptic,

Quote:

It's distressing to note the latest news story in the L.A. Times regarding many agencies still refusing to abandon polygraph screening.

Can't say I'm surprised. In fact I don't believe the pro-polygraph community were much surprised by the specifics of the NAS report. From what I see it is pretty close to what was actually previously known by them.  What was resented was the dissemination of these facts broadly to the public. It has long been in the interest of the polygraph community to project a far greater public perception of reliability than exists. Much like the "Magic Ass" several millenia ago, it works largely because people believe it works.

The triage will no doubt be at the level of DOE post employment screens which are now mandated by law. That area now seems like a Chinese fire drill where everyone involved knows the "drill."  Until Congress reverses the legal mandate there will be little incentive to change practice elsewhere.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #69 - Oct 16th, 2002 at 6:56pm
An especially relevant quote:

"No matter how disastrously some policy has turned out, anyone who criticizes it can expect to hear: 'But what would you replace it with?' When you put out a fire, what do you replace it with?" ~ Thomas Sowell

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #70 - Oct 16th, 2002 at 7:15pm
A very fitting quotation, beech trees!  Smiley

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Chicbette

Reply #71 - Oct 19th, 2002 at 2:33am
Public Servant:

I feel some (including you) are missing an important conclusion of the NAS regarding Specific Incident testing.  That is, results are "well below perfect."  To me, that means "well below 100%."   

So...maybe one quarter of the time, people telling the truth are falsely accused of lying?  That's certainly "well above chance" (50% accuracy), but would you like to be forced to take that chance on something that can really impact your life?

Now, here's another crucial tidbit that an LE officer should know.  POLYGRAPH EXAMS ARE NOT ALWAYS VOLUNTARY!!!  If you are on probation FOR ANY REASON, your probation officer may require you to submit to a polygraph.   

Although the results of a polygraph are not admissable in court, they are admissable as evidence in a probation violation hearing, where the judge must simply determine it is LIKELY that you violated your probation, not that you violated it beyond a reasonable doubt.   

Now, agreed, when one is convicted of a crime, one is justifiably forced to give up some of the rights guaranteed by our constitution.  HOWEVER, is being subject to the whims of unreliable ("well below perfect") science in determining our fate really consistent with this?

My fiance is on probation for a nonviolent crime.  He was falsely accused of threatening someone with a gun.  (He does not own or have access to a handgun, the accuser is a homeless con man that tried to extort money from us, and the guy served time a few years ago in CA for, coincidence, waving a flare gun in someone's face)

Rather than truly investigate, the PO required a polygraph, and my guy reacted w/more physiological stress to the relevant questions than to a poorly constructed control question. (Did you point a gun at the guy vs. Have you ever lied to law enforcement about a major crime?) The PO is going forward with a PV based on the poly and accusation alone.  (He did no further investigation).  My fiance faces prison time over this, which will assuredly destroy our lives and livelihood.  (and our ability to pay taxes and educate his sons - for you pragmatists out there)

Sure, we're just one sad anecdotal example of the  evils of frequent false positives.  but....

Answer me this:  Is society really better off with someone off the streets who may have pointed a gun at someone (a test with "Well below perfect" reliability said so)?    

In all honesty, if I had known about probation requirements and the unreliability of polygraphs, I wish I had sold my car and given the man the $8500 he attempted to extort from us.
Instead, we trusted the myth that the poly is accurate, and that "the truth will out". 

LE officers - is that really your interpretation of the constitution? If you mess up and find yourself on probation, you had better pay off anyone who tries to extort from you because if you don't, they could make a false accusation.  Then you'll be forced to take a poly, which you have say a 20-40% chance of flunking even if you're honest.

That's not my America.  IS it yours??

Our one chance is to perhaps take a 2nd poly.  It's been offered by a prominent academic.  However, I know my guy well.  With all that we'd have riding on it, I can't fathom a control question that would stress him out more than "Did you point a gun at that guy?"  (A requirement for "passing" the test.)  How can I trust a guy who doesn't even know him to come up with one?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sie
User

Reply #72 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 8:11am
"Our one chance is to perhaps take a 2nd poly."

Because yours is an event specific investigation " Did you point a gun at this guys head" perhaps you could inquire about submitting to a GKT.

There is a lot of negativity posted here about CQT being empolyed in empolyee and preemployment screenings yet the same experts seem to believe the GKT holds promise yet not infallible.

I'm not an expert but why not ask:

1) What is the GKT?

2) How does it work?

3) Can it be manipulated by the examinee or examiner as the CQT

4) Is it being empolyed presently by law enforcement?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #73 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 9:26am
sie,

Answers to the questions you raised:

1 & 2) Regarding what the GKT (Guilty Knowledge Test, also called a "Concealed Information Test") is and how it works, you'll find it briefly explained in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. A much more detailed explanation may be found in the 2nd edition of David T. Lykken's book, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector (Plenum Trade, 1998). Here is the NAS report's explanation, cited from Appendix A, p. A-4:

Quote:
CONCEALED INFORMATION TEST

Concealed information tests (more often called guilty knowledge or concealed knowledge tests) present examinees with sets of very similar items, much in the manner of stimulation tests, except that the similar items include one true and several (usually, four) false details of some aspect of an incident under investigation that has not been publicized, so that the true answer would be known only to the investigators and to those present at the incident. In a burglary, examiners might be asked about several possible points of entry into the house, one of which the burglar actually used. (For more detail about question construction and administration of concealed information tests, see Nakayama [2002]). When an examinee is asked whether he or she used each of these routes, the answer is expected to be negative regardless of the examinee's innocence or guilt. Guilty examinees are expected to reveal their concealed knowledge by responding more strongly to the true item than to the others.

Concealed infonnation tests are applicable only under restricted conditions: when there is a specific incident, activity, or thing that can be the subject of questioning and when there are several relevant details that are known only to investigators and those present at the incident. Thus, these tests are not applicable in typical screening situations in which the only possible relevant questions concern generic events, such as unspecified acts of espionage that may or may not have occurred.

3) Yes, the GKT/CIT can be manipulated by either the examiner or the examinee.

4) The GKT is being employed by law enforcement, but not to a great extent.

It's doubtful that a meaningful Guilty Knowledge Test could be constructed for the behavior of which chicbette's fiance stands accused.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #74 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 10:15am
I agree with George's comments re GKT.  However, let me expand on them. The GQT is the strongly favored form of LE polygraph in Japan. So much so that many polygraphers have never even given a CQT.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
NAS Polygraph Report

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X