Normal Topic PassaPolygraph.com (Read 10936 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

PassaPolygraph.com
Oct 5th, 2002 at 9:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A new website called PassaPolygraph.com is offering information on polygraph countermeasures for sale. The website belongs to "Plain Spoken Publications," a business venture which, according to the website, is run by two former polygraphers, Steve Mickelson and Peter Andrews, and a former CVSA operator named Kyle Hunter.

Their "Pass a Polygraph" manual costs $28.75. Has anyone read it? Any comments? The same website also offers a "Pass a CVSA" manual, also for $28.75.

The site, which is managed by WadaWorks seems to be profitable for its authors. The WadaWorks home page includes the following blurb:

Quote:
We took over management of Plain Spoken Publications' e- commerce website in August, and through our expert marketing were able to match their sales for their first 2-1/2 months in only three weeks! Now the site is really getting untracked through our efforts with sales nearly $2,000 monthly. Our immediate goal is to double that figure, and we think we can do it. And...we haven't even started their web site redesign!

The site's present content shows apparent influences from both AntiPolygraph.org and Doug Williams' Polygraph.com. For example, on a page titled, The Hidden Perils of Polygraph Tests we find the following:

Quote:
Every year there are thousands upon thousands of law-abiding Americans (and non-Americans) who submit to polygraph interrogations. And every year thousands upon thousands are falsely accused based on their polygraph chart.

Compare this to the following passage from the introduction to The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:
Every year, thousands of law-abiding Americans submit to polygraphic interrogation. And every year, hundreds--if not thousands--are falsely accused based on polygraph chart readings and are routinely denied due process.

The same page from PassaPolygraph.com also admonishes:

Quote:
Remember, the polygraph examination that you will be taking should be deemed the most important examination of your life. Why would you not prepare for it?

Compare to the following passage from Polygraph.com:

Quote:
THE POLYGRAPH TEST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TEST YOU WILL EVER TAKE! WHY WOULD YOU TAKE IT WITHOUT PREPARING FOR IT FIRST?

Perhaps imitation is the highest form of flattery...

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Re: PassaPolygraph.com
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2002 at 3:46pm
George,

Let's assume for a second that they have a publication which is twice as good as Doug Williams' for approximately half the price. Hmmmm, since Dougie's is one tenth as good as yours at infinitely more the price, I guess that must make Passa's home page sunset/sunrise PRICELESS.

I think it's wonderful though to see three more (former?)charlatans see the light and come forward.  I wonder how the APA and our pro-poly friends here (Any thoughts Batman, PDD-Fed, Public Servant, Polycop, Breeze, etc.??) will characterize them...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 5:53am
The terms charlatan and huckster are used a lot on this site.  Perhaps this is finally a time when I would agree with you.  These guys likely fit that description well.  

Doug Williams claims to have run over 6,000 exams and then figured out he did not beleive in polygraph.  Seems like a lot of exams and time to come to a definitive conclusion. I believe he is in the anti-poly business for nothing more than profit (and this site probably is gouging his profits).

These two sound as if they are in it for the same reason (though I have not visited the site or read the publication).  And it appears from George's posting, that they are also well versed in plagiarism.  I think George would have a good case if TLBTLD had copyright protection.

I give George and Gino credit on one point:  The fact that they offer this information for free lends credibility to the sincerety of their assertions.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 6:50am
Quote:
I think George would have a good case if TLBTLD had copyright protection.

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is indeed copyrighted, and an archival electronic copy has been deposited with the Library of Congress.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 8:11am
So do you plan to take action?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 8:23am
Not at the moment. I haven't read PassaPolygraph.com's polygraph manual. When I attempted to order a copy on-line, I was unable to do so: my (valid) credit card was rejected (perhaps related to my having a non-U.S. billing address).

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 7:11am
The latest issue of The Polygraph Chronicles (#88, 24 Oct. 2003), a free, electronic newletter published by PolygraphPlace.com, includes the following article by Elmer Criswell:

Quote:

1. EDITORIAL: "There is a liar at passapolygraph.com" by
Elmer Criswell.

One of the passapolygraph.com owners, Steve Mickelson,
lists himself as a graduate of the PSP/HACC Polygraph
Institute at the Northeast Counterdrug Training Center
(my school) "with Honors".  One - we don't give "honors"
and two - he never attended one of our schools.
Steve Mickelson is a fraud and liar. I never heard of
him until someone told me that he listed himself as one
of our graduates.

As a follow up, we sent him a letter which had a very
clear intent on our part to pursue litigation and he
took the false information off his website immediately.
He said it was listed there by error. Figure that one out.
How can a person "erroneously" list the polygraph school
they graduated from - especially with the exact name and
location?

My main purpose in writing this is to ensure examiners
who may have seen the information before it was removed
that Mickelson never applied to or attended our school
and has no association with it whatsoever.

You may send any replies to worlis@wordnet.net or simply
hit your reply button.

Mr. Mickelson is now purported to be a graduate of the "Western Oregon State University School of Polygraph, Monmouth, Oregon":

http://www.passapolygraph.com/about.html

Note that the polygraph school in question is at Western Oregon University, not Western Oregon "State" University:

http://www.wou.edu/provost/extprogram/old%20pages/greentemplate/schoolofpolygrap...
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2003 at 7:27am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 10:10am
Apparently, someone at PassaPolygraph.com follows this message board. Mr. Mickelson is now described as a graduate of the "Western Oregon School of Polygraphy."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 2:59pm
It's a pity that Elmer Criswell is not as passionate about pursuing justice with regard to the all-but-certain serial perjury 'Dr.' Ed Gelb has commited with regard to submitting his CV in court as well as testifying as an expert witness based on his fraudulent credentials.

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2003 at 4:29pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2003 at 4:00pm
Quote:

Mr. Mickelson is now purported to be a graduate of the "Western Oregon State University School of Polygraph, Monmouth, Oregon":

http://www.passapolygraph.com/about.html

Note that the polygraph school in question is at Western Oregon University, not Western Oregon "State" University:

http://www.wou.edu/provost/extprogram/old%20pages/greentemplate/schoolofpolygrap...

After several days of pretty intense investigation I have discovered Mr. Mickelson is not a member of ANY polygraph association, group, or agency anywhere in the United States and nobody I  have spoken to has EVER heard of him (incidentially I have been in polygraph almost 20 years).  Additionally, I know for a FACT Mr. Peter Andrews who claims to be a former federal polygraph examiner, specifically an FBI polygraph examiner was in fact, neither.

I don't have any information on the CVSA guy.

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ronin Wasteland

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2003 at 10:16pm
I bought the passapolygraph manual and found it to be fairly identical to doug williams' material, a few personal embellishments aside.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 7Q

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2003 at 11:34pm
So not only have the guys at passapolygrah lied about their qualifications, it seems that they have together "authored" a manual that is almost identical to Williams' manual.  I wonder if that is more fraud and theft or just a fantastic coincidence?

IP Logged

PassaPolygraph.com

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X