Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who's Using Polygraph (Read 61919 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: Who's Using Polygraph
Reply #75 - Oct 9th, 2002 at 8:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:

There is no longer any defensible basis for continuing CT polygraph screening at the CIA, NSA, DoD, DIA, FBI, DOE, MI, etc or for employee/applicant screening at these organizations and the ATF, USSS, DEA, Customs, etc, or any state or local PD in the country, or the nonsense associated with post conviction testing of convicted sex offenders.  The NAS report has provided the evidence and the roadmap—get ready to have your world rocked…  

It gets worse...several don't even use CQT -- they're still in the dark ages with R/I.

I have a sneaking suspicion they already knew the polygraph was bunk for screening, so they didn't bother with anything more "advanced" than R/I...

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #76 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 5:11am
I have been reading the posts on this thread and for the most part it has been most enjoyable -- Downright hilarious at some points.  

The first point I would like to make (though somewhat delayed) is that I in no way share Batman's view that jurors are idiots.  Juries are diverse in all ways to include intellectual ability.  However, potential jurors with expertise in areas of law and investigation are excluded from juries for obvious reasons.  Therefore, jurors are sometimes susceptible to defense attorney pleas to ignore solid evidence.  This is what often inflames LE types into making such comments.  This fact about jurors also plays into the discussion of if suspect interviews should be taped and used as evidence.  There are also issues of admissibility of things said, since the interviewer might imply existence of evidence in the interview. Thus portions of a taped interview might cause the jurors hearing the interview to believe the evidence exists (though it may or may not) and be prejudicial to the defense.  

Also, to Beech:

Quote:
My Dad is fond of saying, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time." That saying applies perfectly with your guilty suspect confessing. And before your broad strokes of epithets reach my father, I will tell you that he is a retired Marine aviator, a Korean war vet, and a lifetime member of the NRA. Quote:

You, know Ted Williams was also a Marine Aviator and war hero -- a man I admired both in sport and for his call to serve his country.  However, his children have done a great job recently of making a public mockery of themselves and their father's memory.  In other words, your father being a hero doesn't lend anymore credibility to you.  Perhaps if you had such credentials of service to your country to share, it would lend a little more credibility (or at least forgiveness) to your rantings.  

When you heard your father use this term, who was the "blind squirrel" he was most often describing?  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #77 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 7:11am
Quote:
You, know Ted Williams was also a Marine Aviator and war hero -- a man I admired both in sport and for his call to serve his country.  However, his children have done a great job recently of making a public mockery of themselves and their father's memory.  In other words, your father being a hero doesn't lend anymore credibility to you.

Fortunately for me, I didn't include several of my dad's demographics in my post for such a purpose. Regardless of my strong feelings of love and respect for my father and his intelligence, his military service and association with the NRA makes him no more qualified than I to criticise the recently-discredited pseudoscience of polygraphy. 

Quote:
Perhaps if you had such credentials of service to your country to share, it would lend a little more credibility (or at least forgiveness) to your rantings.

Rantings? Oh that's right, I forgot-- everyone who disagrees with you is a ranting lunatic. I seek neither your forgiveness nor your admiration for my service to my country. 

Perhaps you could explain how a military record would make one more knowledgeable about the recently and wholey-discredited pseudoscience of polygraphy?

Quote:
When you heard your father use this term, who was the "blind squirrel" he was most often describing?

Any quarterback for the Washington Redskins, going back to approximately 1979.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #78 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 8:47am
Beech,

Take a deep breath and calm down.  All this anger is bad for your health.

Quote:
Fortunately for me, I didn't include several of my dad's demographics in my post for such a purpose. Regardless of my strong feelings of love and respect for my father and his intelligence, his military service and association with the NRA makes him no more qualified than I to criticise the recently-discredited pseudoscience of polygraphy. Quote:

I'm not sure what difference further describing your father demographically would make.  I do know that you made reference to military service and NRA because you thought it would win favor and thus prevent any insults directed at your father.  (I personally have great respect for the former quality, but have mixed feelings about the latter). Though some on this site have stooped low, I don't think Mom or Dad jokes would have occurred.  My point was simply: if you want to win favor by irrelevant facts, at least make them about yourself.  You could have quoted the cliche without bringing up your father at all.    

Quote:
Rantings? Oh that's right, I forgot-- everyone who disagrees with you is a ranting lunatic. Quote:

You must have me confused with someone else.  Of course I forgot that you seem to categorize all pro-poly (perhaps even pro-government, pro-law enforcement) types into one lump.  So of course when you say you, it is aimed at the evil monolith that I represent.  If you look back at old threads, you are likely to see you are the only person about whom I have used such descriptions.  Oh, and you said lunatic, not me. 

Quote:
Perhaps you could explain how a military record would make one more knowledgeable about the recently and wholey-discredited pseudoscience of polygraphy? Quote:

It doesn't.  Nor does that of a relative. My point exactly. And for discussion of your use of the term "wholey-discredited", please go to the thread on the NAS report.  You may want to re-read the Executive Summary and also remember I am a specific issue proponent.

I won't touch the blind squirrel thing any further.  I've picked on you enough today.  I just wanted to let you all know that I'm still around, though I have not recently posted.  I usually prefer more constructive posts, but sometimes it's just too fun getting Beech riled up.  Hope you don't take it personally.  As I told George once, maybe someday over a beer...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #79 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 3:33pm
Quote:

Beech,

Take a deep breath and calm down.  All this anger is bad for your health.

'Public Servant',

Although I'm certain you delight in fancying yourself a master button pusher and something of an agent provocateur on these boards, you will be saddened to learn you are neither, at least where I'm concerned. You have never angered me, nor do I think you could even if you tried-- oh wait, you really ARE trying, aren't you? 

Quote:
I've picked on you enough today...  I usually prefer more constructive posts, but sometimes it's just too fun getting Beech riled up.  Hope you don't take it personally.

Well, regardless, your efforts to date to 'rile me up' have been ineffective to say the least.

Perhaps a more accurate description of your activity with regard to this post would be:

"In an effort to bolster my own self-esteem, I've waded into an argument of which I know very little, latched onto a bit of personal info of someone of whom I know nothing, and extrapolated a false hypothesis in an effort to discredit that someone with whom I disagree."

Do you render opinions of polygraph charts with equal zeal  towards ignoring anything but your own personal feelings?

Quote:
I'm not sure what difference further describing your father demographically would make.  I do know that you made reference to military service and NRA because you thought it would win favor and thus prevent any insults directed at your father.

Sigh. Go back and read past posts made by the user 'The_Breeze'. He makes repeated claims of military service, hints at being a member of the NRA, and somehow wishes us to leap to the absurd conclusion that such affiliations make his unresearched opinions on the scientific validity of the polygraph more credible than mine. Tagging on my father's life experience was half joke, half sincere attempt to see 'The_Breeze' stick to the issue at hand rather than digress into ad hominem attacks as is his usual m.o. (oh, sorry to use a 'police term' there breeze).

Quote:
And for discussion of your use of the term "wholey-discredited", please go to the thread on the NAS report.  You may want to re-read the Executive Summary and also remember I am a specific issue proponent.

I see. Have you brough your opinions to your superiors? Or do you just keep on pluggin' away with the CQT, playing both sides of the issue, snug in your insular world as you criticise your bread & butter here?
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2002 at 5:56pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #80 - Oct 11th, 2002 at 4:27am
Beech,

Look around on this site.  It is only you whose buttons I push.  You can't post without an angry tone.  You are a magnet for abuse.   

What the Breeze says has nothing to do with me.  I am my own person, regardless of whether I may agree on some points with certain persons.  Again go back and read my posts throughout this site and you'll see that I am not part of some monolithic polygraph conspiracy.  I have my own ideas not always in line with others of my job.   

You are the first person to ever insinuate I have a low self esteem.  In fact many say just the opposite.  And here's the big news, my self esteem is in no way connected to the rise or fall of polygraph.  I was highly accomplishe in my field before my move into polygraphy, and I will continue to do so when I transition back into supervising criminal investigations. 

Oh and why do you accuse me of knowing very little.  Weren't you recently fending off similar attacks which you belittled in reply.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #81 - Oct 11th, 2002 at 3:55pm
Quote:

Beech,

Look around on this site.  It is only you whose buttons I push.  You can't post without an angry tone.  You are a magnet for abuse.

I see that I have failed to sway you from your delusions of grandeur, so I will aquiesce and allow you to believe your own hype, oh grand button-pusher.

Quote:
What the Breeze says has nothing to do with me.  I am my own person, regardless of whether I may agree on some points with certain persons.

When did I ever make the assertion that you and user 'The_Breeze' enjoy some sort of relationship? For what purposes do you now engage in this strawman argument? I was explaining why I posted the paranthetical comments about my father, button-pusher. I guess the aphorism, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' holds true here. Your hypothesis for WHY I posted what I did was INCORRECT. I CORRECTED it. For you to then make the illogical leap that I am insinuating some sort of relationship between you and another poster is somewhat baffling.

Quote:
Again go back and read my posts throughout this site and you'll see that I am not part of some monolithic polygraph conspiracy.  I have my own ideas not always in line with others of my job.

Will you then answer my pointed questions about how you conduct that job? Do you refuse to administer CQT's? Do you alert your superiors as to the fallibility of such an unstanderdized interrogative exam?

Quote:
You are the first person to ever insinuate I have a low self esteem.  In fact many say just the opposite.  And here's the big news, my self esteem is in no way connected to the rise or fall of polygraph.  I was highly accomplishe in my field before my move into polygraphy, and I will continue to do so when I transition back into supervising criminal investigations.

Yes, of course you will. Congratulations on all your success. 

Quote:
Oh and why do you accuse me of knowing very little.  Weren't you recently fending off similar attacks which you belittled in reply.  

Are you being intentionally obtuse?? My accusation extended only to the discussion at hand between myself and 'The_Breeze'. YOU YOURSELF just posted that what that user posts has nothing to do with you. It's evident you read a late post of mine in that thread and immediately went on the attack without benefit of actually reading the entire thread. Try educating yourself before leaping in with the ad hominem attacks.

Finally, thank you for dodging the only substantive matter in this entire circuitous, wasteful argument:

Quote:
Have you brough your opinions to your superiors? Or do you just keep on pluggin' away with the CQT, playing both sides of the issue, snug in your insular world as you criticise your bread & butter here?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Who's Using Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X