Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who's Using Polygraph (Read 61934 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box touche
New User

Who's Using Polygraph
Sep 26th, 2002 at 3:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In September 2001 a very elderly woman residing in an Albuquerque nursing home complained to a family member that she “was hurt by the man who cared for her.”  Albuquerque station KRQE News 13 broke the story last week, outlining allegations of rape.  The caretaker, 22-year-old Andres Arviso, then agreed to undergo polygraph testing, declaring to the media that he wanted to clear his name after he was identified on the air by KRQE.  After the polygraph examination, which he failed, he confessed to three sexual attacks on the 90-year-old victim.  He reportedly cried to police, and said he was sorry after his confession.  With her claim of repeated sexual abuse verified, the elderly victim has initiated legal action against her attacker and the nursing home.  Arviso is now detained at the Bernalillo County Detention Center.

http://www.krqe.com/Global/story.asp?s=946856

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Who's Using Polygraph
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2002 at 4:48pm
touche,

In this case, assuming that the confession can be corroborated, it appears that the polygraph technique has served its purpose in obtaining a confession from a naive and gullible guilty suspect. This case does not, however, speak to the validity of polygraphy.

When public officials believe in the pseudoscience of polygraphy, a number of problems may arise. For example:

1) a guilty subject may pass and wrongly be cleared of suspicion;

2) an innocent person may fail and wrongly come under suspicion; in at least one documented case in Chicago, an innocent man failed a polygraph "test" about a rape; Chicago police, believing the man must be guilty, then planted evidence to ensure his conviction;

3) in some cases, abusive post-polygraph interrogation tactics result in false confessions; many agencies, including the FBI, avoid video- or audiotaping polygraph interrogations so that the suspect cannot challenge the polygrapher's version of what was said;

4) in some jurisdictions, self-described rape victims are required to submit to polygraph "testing" before law enforcement will investigate; victims who don't pass this pseudoscientific trial-by-ordeal are denied justice.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2002 at 10:44pm
Mr. Maschke,

The more I read the posts on this site the more ill I get.  Do you honestly believe that every time some scum confesses that he/she is a "naive and gullible guilty suspect", or that the confession was false, or illegally obtained?  There is no doubt in my mind that there have been individuals who have falsely confessed for a variety of reasons, most of which center on the individuals mental capabilies; but every time anyone posts on this site a confession resulting from an interview or interrogation that followed deceptive indications on a polygraph you jump on the "naive and gullible" bandwagon.  Believe it or not, there are really bad guys out there, and they do confess to law enforcement officials who do not violate their rights.

You are the naive and gullible one if you truely believe everything you preach, or the line of bull you push on this site.  If you had any experience what-so-ever in the field of law enforcement, other than your extremely limited exposure to polygraph (which in reality was not administered in a law enforcement capacity) then you may sing a somewhat different tune.

Of course you always CYA with statements like "assuming the confession can be corrorborated", but not every confession can be.  In this case it appears you have a 90 year old victim who was sexually assaulted.  How do propose this allegation be corroborated?  Should they ask for a reinactment?  If you want to call in question the use of polygraph, so be it, by all means do so, but must you always question the integrity of all law enforcement officials every time a confession is referenced on this site?  Why couldn't you simply state your case against polygraph without all the crap about "abusive post-polygraph interrogation tactics result in false confessions".   

Maybe, just maybe, this guy did sexually assault this 90 year old lady, and maybe his confession was obtained in a legal and proper manner.  It does happen.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty (Guest)

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 12:04am
Batman wrote on Sep 26th, 2002 at 10:44pm:

Mr. Maschke,

The more I read the posts on this site the more ill I get.  Do you honestly believe that every time some scum confesses that he/she is a "naive and gullible guilty suspect", or that the confession was false, or illegally obtained? 

George,
Batman has a point.  LE interrogation procedure can be extremely forceful and should not be underestimated in it's ability to produce confessions in a high number of cases*. The psychology of interrogation is extensively studied and the best interrogators are held in some degree of awe by their colleagues. One of the more curious things is that LE is divided over the advisability of taping an interrogation. Juries seem to interpret the psychological "pressure" as undue force and divert the attention away from the confession.  SOP is to not tape but get a written statement in the person's own handwriting.

* Gordon & Fleisher

A confession that is not written or recorded is of dubious value, and rightly so.

I have been kicking around the idea of developing a recording device where the content can not be retrieved except by court order. This would protect the privacy of all involved but allow access by the legal system where the appropriate oversite is available.

-Marty

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 1:46am
Marty,   

Your previous post includes the following statement:

Quote:
...SOP is to not tape but get a written statement in the person's own handwriting...

Although at first blush having a person offer a confession in his own handwriting seems to be a panacea for obtaining meaningful confessions, in reality it is not.  Although handwriting analysis (if necessary) will allow for a determination of the source of the written confession, it will in no way shed light on whether the confession was knowingly and voluntarily given or  was simply one given under duress and dictated by the interrogator to the examinee after a long and improper interrogation.  If Batman believes the majority of interrogations are properly conducted then I presume he would have no problem with this being demonstrated through proper and complete audio and video taping of all such interrogations/confessions.  This, of course, would additionally discourage improper treatment of examinees and expose any wrongful behavior when it occurred.  It would also serve to protect the interrogator from any malicious and false claims made by an examinee/subject.   

Your idea of a "protected" recording is quite useful.  Perhaps this might entail an encrypted/biometrically-tagged recording which could only be unencrypted through the same examinee biometrics (facial recognition, retinal scan, fingerprint, etc) patterns obtained from the examinee at the time of a court-requested viewing.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 2:55am
Batman,

You ask:

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that every time some scum confesses that he/she is a "naive and gullible guilty suspect", or that the confession was false, or illegally obtained?

I've never made the strawman argument that you ascribe to me. However, when a guilty suspect confesses after being tricked into believing that he has been caught in a lie by the polygraph, I think it's fair to say that he was "naive and gullible."

Quote:
...every time anyone posts on this site a confession resulting from an interview or interrogation that followed deceptive indications on a polygraph you jump on the "naive and gullible" bandwagon.  Believe it or not, there are really bad guys out there, and they do confess to law enforcement officials who do not violate their rights.

My observation that in the case that touche has brought to our attention, the polygraph appears to have served its purpose in obtaining a confession from a naive and gullible suspect, does not entail that I believe that the suspect's rights have been violated in any way.

Quote:
In this case it appears you have a 90 year old victim who was sexually assaulted.  How do propose this allegation be corroborated?  Should they ask for a reinactment?

If the suspect's confession is genuine (again, Batman, I haven't argued that it is not), then he might be able to provide details of the crimes that had not been made known to him (or the public) prior to his confession.

Quote:
If you want to call in question the use of polygraph, so be it, by all means do so, but must you always question the integrity of all law enforcement officials every time a confession is referenced on this site?

I have not questioned the integrity of the law enforcement officials who obtained the confession from Andres Arviso, let alone all law enforcement officials.

Quote:
Why couldn't you simply state your case against polygraph without all the crap about "abusive post-polygraph interrogation tactics result in false confessions".

While I have not claimed that such is the case with regard to the case of Andres Arviso, abusive post-polygraph interrogation tactics resulting in false confessions are a recurring theme in polygraphy. Examples include the recent case of Egyptian student Abdallah Higazy in New York and that of U.S. Navy petty officer Daniel M. King. Again, as I mentioned in my reply to touche, the audio- or videotaping of all interrogations would be a powerful protection against such abusive behavior (and, as Anonymous has pointed out, false allegations of abuse).

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty (Guest)

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 4:56am

Quote:

If Batman believes the majority of interrogations are properly conducted then I presume he would have no problem with this being demonstrated through proper and complete audio and video taping of all such interrogations/confessions.  This, of course, would additionally discourage improper treatment of examinees and expose any wrongful behavior when it occurred.

According to Fleisher, there are differences of opinion about whether the entire (or any) part of the interrogation should be recorded. Sure it would eliminate any question of whether any abusive practice occurred but there are legitimate reasons why one might wish to not tape this. The public is widely influence by media and many things presented as facts are not. Examples: Cars are incorrectly expected to blow up a few seconds after a severe crash where it is really quite rare. The idea that holding a hostage will induce cops to drop their weapons is similarly bogus. Some believe it is inappropriate to lie to get a confession when it is generally not. An interrogater may chose to be sympathetic to a suspect by use of an analogy that could be quite disturbing to a jury. A lot of what is done is because the public is naive which I don't like but they are what juries are composed of. So there are reasons beyond CYA for limiting recording. On the whole though I think everything should be recorded. If I took a polygraph (I might consent to a GKT for example) I certainly would feel better if it was recorded.

As for the protected recording, biometrics and other such stuff can get very complicated very quickly. Also many states have laws that protect privacy by requiring all recordings, where there is an expectation of  privacy, be agreed to in advance by all recordee's. To work around this and preserve privacy, a recording, encrypted by a public key, could be made such that it could only be decrypted by court order to a third party holding the private key in escrow. This protects  ALL parties but lets a court get to the truth if ruled more important than the privacy. The technology to do this is now cheap and easily accomplished. If this were built into a car, I would likely be willing to pay several hundreds of dollars more for it and it would cost far far less.

-Marty

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 9:19am
Marty,

I assume that the Gordon & Fleisher to whom you've referred are the same two who are instructors together at the "Academy for Scientific Investigative Training," a polygraph school in Philadelphia, and that the work you reference is their co-authored book, Effective Interview and Interrogation Techniques, published by Academic Press.

I haven't read their book. Based on what you've written, it appears that Fleisher, while observing that there are different schools of thought on this point, does not necessarily endorse the notion that interrogations should not be recorded. That said, the fear that a judge or jury will be too naive (or stupid) to understand what is and is not legitimate conduct in the course of a criminal interrogation is not a legitimate reason for not recording an interrogation in its entirety. The very notion is utterly repugnant to the values upon which our system of justice is based.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 10:22am
Quote:

Marty,

I assume that the Gordon & Fleisher to whom you've referred are the same two who are instructors together at the "Academy for Scientific Investigative Training," a polygraph school in Philadelphia, and that the work you reference is their co-authored book, Effective Interview and Interrogation Techniques, published by Academic Press.

Yes but first let me clarify. The authors note there is divergence on the issue of recording interrogation sessions. Often the interrogator is being sympathetic to the suspect perhaps going so far as saying things like "any woman dressed like that is asking for it - and if you've had too many drinks, well, things sometimes happen that a normal person just can't control." Even worse kinds of things to get pedophiles to confess. I think most juries would not be swayed - but I suspect some would. They relay some anecdotal evidence where the trial was impacted. For these reasons they say they believe not recording any part is a more efficient approach but are careful to outline a very specific protocol to assure the integrity of the written statement. It is just their recommendation though.

In spite of the issues surrounding recording the whole interrogation, I think it should be done as well, but am less suspicious of the interrogation process overall so I see it as just helping keep honest people honest.

Most of the book deals with stand alone interrogations not the polygraph but a good 20% or so is specific to the polygraph. Rare in what I have seen so far, there is a section on formulating control questions that is remarkably candid. So much so you should ask for permission to include it as it gives a "feel" to what the polygrapher is trying to accomplish from their point of view.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 4:46pm
Marty,

That which is inappropriate (including the contents of interrogations) should be revealed and acted upon, not hidden.  Juries and the broader American public should be allowed to determine what is unseemly but justified versus what is altogether inappropriate; this determination should most assuredly not rest with the proponents of a technique/procedure (interrogation).  Handwritten confessions alone will never suffice.  It cannot be conclusively demonstrated  (no matter how many steps are involved) that these (preamble and contents) are not merely parroted regurgitations foisted upon an exhausted, frustrated, and dispirited examinee/subject.  Only complete unaltered audio/video recordings will suffice for this analysis.  The material you quoted from the Gordon & Fleisher work appears to be little more than self-serving nonsense.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box touche
New User

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 4:46pm

Thomas Cress was found guilty by a jury in 1985 of kidnapping, raping, and murdering 17-year-old Patricia Rosanski, whose body was found in a wooded area in Battle Creek, Michigan.  There was no physical evidence connecting Cress to the crime, and the biological evidence was destroyed in 1992, before DNA evidence became generally available.  Another convicted killer, Michael Ronning, has recently come forward and confessed that he actually committed the crime.  Both men have since undergone polygraph testing, and both have passed on their respective statements.  The Michigan Court of Appeals has ordered a new trial for Thomas Cress.

www.clickondetroit.com/det/news/stories/news-127566520020227-220226.html

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 5:12pm
Touche,

Polygraph results, in theory, could serve two important roles in the Thomas Cress matter you describe: obtaining a new trial (apparently has occurred) and serving as evidence in that new trial.  Only a concealed information test would likely accomplish both purposes.  For sake of conversation, if one were to assume that Mr. Ronning is guilty of the relevant crimes and Mr. Cress is not, there should be a subset of information related to the crime(s) that would be known (and could be instrumentally probed for) by the former and not the latter.  It is incumbent upon investigators and polygraphers alike to assure that testable information is collected, protected (not publicly disseminated) and retained.  If this is done properly even a 1985 case will avail itself to meaningful testing at this point.  Because of the lack of diagnostic validity of a control question test, the prosecution in a subsequent trial would most assuredly prevail in a Daubert hearing should that type of testing be offered as evidence by the defense and contested by the prosecution.  Are you familiar with the type of testing conducted?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 7:26pm
Quote:

Marty,

That which is inappropriate (including the contents of interrogations) should be revealed and acted upon, not hidden. 

Of course, but just because something is not recorded does not mean it is inappropriate. In most of life very little is recorded and that doesn't mean something nefarious was transpiring. It is also stated by the authors that sub rosa, "3rd degree" abuse does occur is some cases.

Quote:

Juries and the broader American public should be allowed to determine what is unseemly but justified versus what is altogether inappropriate

I agree. Overall I think the benefits of openess outweigh the costs. I feel their arguments have some merit but society is better served by a complete recording. Also, their own argument could be used by a defense atty to attack a written confession. "You mean you have a POLICY of not recording an interrogation because it might mislead a jury.....?"

One of the basic problems here is that one needs some degree of trust of the LE process and abuse of interrogation may not be the most common abuse in the future. DNA testing has recently become the "magic bullet" in major criminal cases and rightly so. However, it requires integrity in the process for it is easily "planted" from the blood of suspect. I suspect this may occur more often when the police have someone they strongly (and probably accurately) believe is guilty but where their is insufficient evidence. Being someone that strongly believed OJ guilty, I also was boggled at the testimony of the acting director of the FBI crime lab. I concluded, reluctantly, that police did indeed plant blood evidence to help convict OJ. I have little doubt OJ did the murder, but also have little doubt the evidence was "enhanced." It wasn't to frame a black man, rather it was to put away a "bad guy" by whatever means was at hand. Henry Lee's analysis provides much greater detail. Anyway, my point is that integrity of the process is the critical aspect and that newer forensic techniques are more easily falsified than tradition physical and eyewitness evidence. A culture where this is allowed is far more damaging and easier to do than abused interrogation process.

-Marty

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 8:22pm
Marty,

You write:

Quote:
...because something is not recorded does not mean it is inappropriate...

I never suggested such a relationship.  Because impropriety is possible, there exists potential motivation on the part of a pressured and less than scrupulous investigator to cut corners and "solve" a case prematurely, and most importantly because there is a history (not just a theoretical possibility as exists with most things in life) of improprieties with interrogations, society in general and judges and juries should not have to guess about such matters--we should simply insist upon their recording.

Although, as I have said, there is a wealth of investigative/interrogation history to suggest the aforementioned need for recording, I'm not sure I saw what you saw in the O.J. Simpson trial nor am I convinced this is a case I would highlight as a breach of trust on the part of law enforcement officers which clearly demonstrates a need for recorded interrogations.  I recall shoeprint, DNA/molecular genetics, hair and fiber, and chemistry/toxicology testimony being offered on the part of the FBI Laboratory experts in that trial but don't recall the testimony of an "acting director of the FBI crime lab."  Perhaps you might refresh my memory.  Although evidence was introduced by the defense to suggest racial bias on the part of one investigator and cross examination of certain LAPD witnesses might lead one to question the integrity of some of the physical evidence and aspects of the crime scene processing, I saw nothing whatsoever to indicate the willful tampering of evidence leading to the "enhanced" evidence you speak of.  Again, perhaps under a different thread you might care to enlighten me.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2002 at 12:25am
Quote:

.....with interrogations, society in general and judges and juries should not have to guess about such matters--we should simply insist upon their recording.

That is why I also believe that even though juries will have to be educated as to what is appropriate or not, they are the trier of fact so it would be best to record the entire interrogation.

My point with the OJ case is that is a case where other abuses took place. There has been a major shift to use of DNA evidence in murder/rape cases where abuse may be easier to hide than in cases of interrogation. As for the OJ case I was shocked by his testimony which detailed anti-oxidant tests he (the FBI lab guy) performed on his own blood off hours. It was shockingly sloppy with no supporting test records. EDTA tainted blood that showed up weeks later on a fence, a blood spot from Nicole on a sock of OJ's that soaked through to the opposite side (hard to do if there is a foot inside). Still, OJ did it. Anyway, the details are too  long to go into on this thread but my point is not that OJ was innocent, he wasn't, but that the sort of DNA abuse he was subjected to is much simpler than browbeating a confession. If police are inclined to the latter, they must certainly be even more inclined to the former as it is a lot easier. Preventing this abuse of trust is the critical thing.

-Marty

IP Logged

Who's Using Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X