Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who's Using Polygraph (Read 62206 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Who's Using Polygraph
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 3:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
PDD-Fed,

Mr. Fetters is no doubt pleased that he submitted to a polygraph interrogation: after all, he won his polygraph crap shoot. But his experience does not indicate that polygraphy has any scientific basis or any diagnostic value, any more than the experience of any one truthful individual who fails to pass indicates that it has no such basis or value.

My statement that polygraphy (CQT polygraphy, in particular) has no scientific basis and no diagnostic value is well-supported. I'd be happy to debate this question with you, perhaps in a separate thread. You might begin by citing any peer-reviewed research supporting the conclusion that polygraphy works any better than chance under field conditions, and by pointing us to a standardized, repeatable protocol that has meaningful control.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:17pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 5:23pm
Batman wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:45pm:
Even though we would like to look upon our jury system as being the best (and it very well may be), the truth is most juries are manned by idiots who couldn't find thier asses with both hands if they had directions.

Here is quintessential bm-- disdain for all who do not think, act, or are employed like him. 

Since by law juries consist of a random cross-section of the populace (one's peers) what 'batman' is really saying is that we are ALL idiots, and that he holds the very people who employ him in lowest regard. His utter contempt for the Constitutionally-mandated jury system means he also is an oath-breaking malcontent, as he attacks here the very system he has sworn to protect and defend. Is it any wonder I have long disimissed his acerbic, foul, unprofessional attacks on me?

Quote:
If anyone thinks a jury, even with a judge's instructions, could comprehend the fact that it is legal for a law enforcement officer to deceive a subject in an interrogation, then they're dumb enough to qualify to be on a jury!

So what you're saying is, the law cannot be interpreted intelligently by the lay person. If that's the case, how can a 'lay defendant' interpret it? After all, unless one of your fellow prosecutors or leos are on trial, wouldn't they too be too stupid-- i.e., 'incompetent') to stand trial?

Fortunately, as a law enforcement officer, you have NO SAY in how a jury arrives at its verdict. The proper and essential role of a jury is to apply the common sense and conscience of the community to the question of whether government is running roughshod over the rights of the individual -- a decision which no fewer than three articles of the Bill of Rights assure us shall never be left up to the sole discretion of some government-salaried judge and CERTAINLY not by you. 

You complain we're all idiots bm... The sad fact is that current voir dire procedures and jury oaths verge on jury-stacking, by screening out those who might represent the conscience of the community by refusing to enforce bad or misapplied laws -- just as the Salem witchcraft trials and later prosecutions under the infamous Fugitive Slave Act were finally ended by randomly selected juries that simply refused to enforce those bad laws. (For those of you who don't know what 'voire dire' means, it's the lengthy process in which judges and prosecutors stack our modern juries to make sure no one who disagrees with the government is allowed to be seated.)

Here is something I have no doubt you have never, ever read 'batman':

"We recognize, as appellants urge, the undisputed power of the jury to acquit, even if its verdict is contrary to the law as given by the judge, and contrary to the evidence. This is a power that must exist as long as we adhere to the general verdict in criminal cases, for the courts cannot search the minds of the jurors to find the basis upon which they judge. If the jury feels that the law under which the defendant is accused, is unjust, or ... for any reason which appeals to their logic or passion, the jury has the power to acquit, and the courts must abide by that decision."-- U.S. vs. Moylan, 417 F.2d 1002, 1006

Or how about this, have you ever read this?

[the jury] has an unreviewable and irreversible power ... to acquit in disregard of the instructions on the law given by the trial judge ... The pages of history shine on instances of the jury's exercise of its prerogative to disregard uncontradicted evidence and instructions of the judge. Most often commended are the 18th century acquittal of Peter Zenger of seditious libel, on the plea of Andrew Hamilton, and the 19th century acquittals in prosecutions under the fugitive slave law."-- U.S. vs. Dougherty, 473 F.2d 1113, 1139

<snip OJ rant>

Quote:
So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this.  It seems the only ones who don't know this are the Bozo's on this site who believe we should be taping every interview and interrogation.

A good criminal defense attorney, upon reading your above spittle-ridden diatribe, would subpoena IP Logs, identify you, and then forever after-- whenever you testified from now until you were fired from your job, submit same for the jury's consideration.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #32 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 5:40pm
All concerned
As one who has actually seen Arviso's charts, talked to the polygrapher who gave the test, and been brought up to speed on details of the investigation (no progress prior to polygraph) any speculation that he was a dim witted simpleton ready to confess if someone looked at him hard is simply not true.  This rapist had fooled everyone, and chose his victim well.  Since she was delusional, and he was in a position of trust and responsibility over her (he physically cleaned her), and there was almost no physical evidence-he was not going to be prosecuted by the local AG's office.  The polygraph was given basically as a last resort in a stalled investigation.  And before I hear anything about a faulty investigation know that this victim is not lucid and had allready retracted her allegation on previous occasions.
So I guess its a good thing we have this "interrogation prop" that clearly showed measurable responses to the relevant questions.  Im glad the coin toss came down on the right side this time.....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 7:05pm
Breeze,

You write:

Quote:
...Im glad the coin toss came down on the right side this time...

And so are we are.  If one is to engage in such foolish behavior (making decisions based on polygraph results), we should all pray for blind luck.  Because there are only two determinate possibilities with polygraph lie tests (DI, NDI, one of which is correct), I suppose we will continue to see such sporadic reports evidencing such luck and the laws of probability.  Unfortunately a large number of people will be victimized in order to claim these victories that (as you allude to and would have us believe otherwise) might well be obtained through other less harmful means, i.e., thorough investigation and competent interview/interrogation in the absence of the polygraph charade.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #34 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:11pm
Breeze, PDD-Fed, & Touche,

You gotta love guys like George, Anonymous, and Beech.  No matter what information, facts, opinions or results you put forward they will never come off their stance.  Offer polygraphs witrh confessions then we have naive criminals who were duped by evil Law Enforcemnet  officials, offer polygraphs that cleared people and it's just a lucky crap shoot that is bound to make the right call once and awhile, offer chicken salad and they say it's chicken shit, throw they're own chicken shit back at them and they say it's now chicken salad.

Yep, you gotta love 'em.  Anyway keep at it guys, I will.

George, doesn't the Federal Government already audio/video tape all the Counterintelligence Security Polygraph examinations it administers?  I know these are not "pre-employment" exams but it is something.   

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #35 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:47pm
Anon
Even though I told you what the party line comeback would be
(do a better investigation, wont need polygraph) You still used it on me.  Since I am forced to repeat myself often here-I will just tell you again that the victim was so erratic, and the offender had such access that it was stalemate.  Are you going to call us incompetent because a viable LE tool was used in a professional way that elicited a full confession?  You will not tell me next that it was a false confession will you?

Will a polygraph opponent be open minded enough to admit that the device functioned exactly as designed, gave information to interviewers not otherwise available, and got a sick rapist off the street in way not possible (in this case at least) without polygraph? 
Those that actually have working knowledge in the areas that you are speculating about know this random event is anything but.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #36 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 10:42pm
Batman wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:45pm:

So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this.  It seems the only ones who don't know this are the Bozo's on this site who believe we should be taping every interview and interrogation.  

Batman,

Interesting response.  Assuming you believe this there are 2 principal possibilites. What you assert is indeed true and your experience is sufficiently broad to have come to these conclusions OR it is not true but forms the basis for rationalizations for a specific behavior. Probably the former, I would sadly guess.

I've only been on a criminal case jury once and the person was convicted only after a careful review of all available evidence. I would hate to think the system depends on LE spoonfeeding info even though I have little doubt that the overriding motivations are catching the bad guys.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #37 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 11:29pm
Breeze,

CQT polygraphy has no validity as a diagnostic tool.  Only a fool would use it assuming that it did.  Assuming you are not such, you are left with using it to bluff a (hopefully) guilty suspect into making admissions/confessions.  This ruse, however, requires that you misrepresent the technique as a valid diagnostic procedure to the subject/examinee in order to obtain that which you seek.  The problem with this lie (I'm actually not too concerned about the ethics of this specific lie but with the required logistics for success) is that it depends upon widespread, if not universal, ignorance on the part of a potential examinee population.   

The sort of misinformation and disinformation that is required to bluff the guilty is of necessity (for the benefit of the innocent wrongly accused of deception) being countered on a daily basis on this site and elsewhere.  I strongly suggest you find yourself a better play toy that will neither injure the innocent nor require you to engage in these sorts of pathetic embarrassing discussions in your attempt to bluff the guilty through the maintenance of widespread ignorance.  You ask will the polygraph, as currently used, on occasion produce results coinciding with truth and  (as apparently happened in this case) outcomes that you and I would mutually want (the guilty implicated, the innocent exonerated)?  The answer, of course, is yes, but only in the midst of great tribulation and trauma for many citizens and for society in general due to the rampant error of this nonsense in the hands of those who fall prey to their own bluffs and misrepresentations about technique validity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #38 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 12:08am

The_Breeze wrote on Oct 2nd, 2002 at 5:40pm:

So I guess its a good thing we have this "interrogation prop" that clearly showed measurable responses to the relevant questions.  Im glad the coin toss came down on the right side this time.....

I am, too, just as I am glad that someone who would have died in a car crash had they worn a seatbelt was not wearing one.

But I wouldn't recommend not wearing a seatbelt to the average person, would you?

Skeptic

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #39 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 12:25am
Batman wrote on Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:11pm:

Breeze, PDD-Fed, & Touche,

You gotta love guys like George, Anonymous, and Beech.  No matter what information, facts, opinions or results you put forward they will never come off their stance.

Perhaps you should attempt to present some facts, Batman, before assuming such.  And no, the anecdotes you folks dig up do not constitute scientific evidence of the polygraph's validity.

I always assumed criminal investigators had a good grasp of scientific procedure and logical deduction.  That notion has been badly shaken by what I've seen here -- I guess "CSI" really is just a TV show Smiley

Quote:

Offer polygraphs witrh confessions then we have naive criminals who were duped by evil Law Enforcemnet  officials, offer polygraphs that cleared people and it's just a lucky crap shoot that is bound to make the right call once and awhile, offer chicken salad and they say it's chicken shit, throw they're own chicken shit back at them and they say it's now chicken salad.

It's really not attractive to see a caped crusader reduced to incoherent babbling.  Tough week on the beat, BM?

Skeptic

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 12:40am

The_Breeze wrote on Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:47pm:

Will a polygraph opponent be open minded enough to admit that the device functioned exactly as designed, gave information to interviewers not otherwise available, and got a sick rapist off the street in way not possible (in this case at least) without polygraph? 
Those that actually have working knowledge in the areas that you are speculating about know this random event is anything but.

All of the above are certainly possible.  But what do you mean by "the device functioned exactly as designed"?  To which function are you referring?  Do you mean it accurately recorded blood pressure, heart rate, chest/abdomen expansion/contraction and the electrical resistance of the subject's skin?  If so, I think we can all assume (barring device malfunction) that it worked as advertised.

If you mean the polygraph is intended to "elicit" truthful confessions and it in fact did so, then again, it evidently worked as designed.   

If you mean it accurately detected lies, we simply have no way of knowing this.  Assuming he reacted to specific relevant questions, why did he do so?  Remember, it is actually possible that any reactions were not due specifically to lying, even if he wasn't telling the truth in his responses.   

However, it is certainly possible that he was lying and afraid the device would catch his lie (per standard polygraph "theory") and that fear caused him to react.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 4:59am
Skeptic,

I think there is no material argument that the polygraph works to a very great extent because people are kept ignorant of it's secrets. Pro polygraph persons often make the point that the information provided on anti-polygraph sites is potentially harmful since it may allow criminals that would otherwise be put away to avoid discovery. They have a point. The problem is that it becomes impossible to debate something if it is maintained that it's working mechanisms should not be disclosed if they are also necessary to evaluate the effectiveness of the tool.

I have a very visceral negative reaction to the concept that people must be kept ignorant, or worse, that the validity of a tool should be exagerated in order to maximize the value of the tool. That visceral reaction doesn't make less valid the ignorance is best argument.

However, safety and freedom are frequently not congruent and choices will be made. Personally, I favor Franklin's bias in this regard.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock (Guest)

Reply #42 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 5:52am
Batman and the other LE posters.

There are as many dumb-ass idiots in your ranks as there are in juries. A few examples:

1. The idiots who nearly beat Rodney King to death in Los Angeles.
2. The Idiots in New York who committed sodomy with a broom handle.
3. How about this one - Dallas narco idiots, working through their hand picked informants and using gypsum as cocaine, planting said gypsum in vehicles and getting unsuspecting Mexicans to drive the vehicles to a given location where the busts were made. Said unsuspecting Mexicans wound up in prison. Would you believe a "few" have been released and are filing large damages suits. These damages will be paid by the idiot taxpayers , along with the $200,000.00 to the informants, and whose taxes also paid those idiots salary.

But, I guess you poo poo these as "cops will be cops".

Question: Do you believe the idiots who serve on your juries pay taxes to pay your idiot salaries?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #43 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 5:42pm

Marty wrote on Oct 3rd, 2002 at 4:59am:

Skeptic,

I think there is no material argument that the polygraph works to a very great extent because people are kept ignorant of it's secrets. Pro polygraph persons often make the point that the information provided on anti-polygraph sites is potentially harmful since it may allow criminals that would otherwise be put away to avoid discovery. They have a point. The problem is that it becomes impossible to debate something if it is maintained that it's working mechanisms should not be disclosed if they are also necessary to evaluate the effectiveness of the tool.

I have a very visceral negative reaction to the concept that people must be kept ignorant, or worse, that the validity of a tool should be exagerated in order to maximize the value of the tool. That visceral reaction doesn't make less valid the ignorance is best argument.

However, safety and freedom are frequently not congruent and choices will be made. Personally, I favor Franklin's bias in this regard.

-Marty

Keeping information from widespread dissemination is not evil in and of itself, but in our free and open society, there generally needs to be a pretty good reason.

As Dr. Barland has pointed out, certain tests such as the MMPI work best if most people know little about the test.  Fair enough.  But the MMPI is a scientifically valid test.  It has been established as such through extensive peer-reviewed double-blind research.

In the polygraph's case, we have a "test" that has not been scientifically validated, its "theory" is hotly disputed, and frequent examples of abuse and/or inaccurate results are surfacing. Yet the public generally holds polygraph testing as synonymous with "lie detection."

So the question becomes: "is secrecy regarding the polygraph designed to preserve a valid test's accuracy, or is it designed to preserve ignorance and false impressions about a process that is really snakeoil?"

This is the reason why, so often, we see posters on this site requesting peer-reviewed research into the polygraph's validity.  In the absence of such, maintaining ignorance regarding the polygraph seems intended to preserve cash flow, the esteem of polygraphers and the ability of certain unscrupulous people to psychologically bludgeon a subject without counsel, rather than preserve the validity of the test.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #44 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 6:50pm
Twoblock,

That's the beauty of the American system brother.  There are idiots in all walks of life, in all professions, so it only makes sense that juries are made up of idiots.  Can't be anything but, seeing that we have so many.  It's just that when you get twelve of them together they're called a jury.

Lets just say, it makes life interesting. 

As for the idiots you referenced, no arugement there, but you know I once heard someone say that only an idiot would get into the Law Enforcement career.  Maybe he was right.  What person in their right mind would even consider for a minute taking a bullet for John Q. Public, or walking into a domestic only to get stabbed by the supposed victim, or getting into a shootout with heavily armed bank robbers on the streets of LA.  Yup, gotta be an idiot to be willing to do that.

Batman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Who's Using Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X