Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who's Using Polygraph (Read 61927 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box touche
New User

Re: Who's Using Polygraph
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2002 at 2:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Polygraph finds murderer of teenage boy.

Patrick Joel Free has been charged by the Burlington County (Pennsylvania) Prosecutor for the murder of a 16-year-old Moorestown boy.  Free faces life in prison if convicted of killing Adam Suopys in a wooded area on Dec. 31, 1997.  The trial is expected to focus heavily on statements Free provided to investigators after the murder.  In those statements, Free at first denied involvement in the murder but then implicated himself and Katow after investigators questioned him about the results of his polygraph examination. 

http://www.phillyburbs.com/burlingtoncountytimes/news/news/41684109.htm

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2002 at 3:34am

touche wrote on Sep 29th, 2002 at 2:45am:

Polygraph finds murderer of teenage boy.

Patrick Joel Free has been charged by the Burlington County (Pennsylvania) Prosecutor for the murder of a 16-year-old Moorestown boy.  Free faces life in prison if convicted of killing Adam Suopys in a wooded area on Dec. 31, 1997.  The trial is expected to focus heavily on statements Free provided to investigators after the murder.  In those statements, Free at first denied involvement in the murder but then implicated himself and Katow after investigators questioned him about the results of his polygraph examination. 

http://www.phillyburbs.com/burlingtoncountytimes/news/news/41684109.htm

Try http://www.phillyburbs.com/burlingtoncountytimes/news/news_archive/41685546.htm

Fair use quote:

Although Free was advised of his rights, defense attorney Donald Manno contends that Free's confession was not voluntary.

Dave

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

New User

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 1:47am
Although Free was advised of his rights, defense attorney Donald Manno contends that Free's confession was not voluntary.

Golly gee...BT...that is the first time I EVER heard of anyone contesting the confession.....seems to me that he had nothing else to contest.....might as well go for it all....Just for grins...let's follow this story and see if the protestations of the defense attorney holds water...I know nothing about the case, but I will bet you it won't cut the mustard!  You on?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 2:57am
touche wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 1:47am:
Golly gee...BT...that is the first time I EVER heard of anyone contesting the confession.....seems to me that he had nothing else to contest.....might as well go for it all....Just for grins...let's follow this story and see if the protestations of the defense attorney holds water...I know nothing about the case, but I will bet you it won't cut the mustard!  You on?

I am in the same position as you-- I know nothing about the case. I'd be foolish to bet either way; the purpose of posting that particular quote was to get some semblance of balance to those readers who don't bother to read the hyperlinked story.

Dave

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #19 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:45pm
There you go again Beech, giving us the true meaning of your post, after you've been called on it.  I guess we should all just assume you're always just trying to either stimulate debate or provide the more insightful viewpoint.

Touche, You've been putting up a valiant fight against this crowd.  Put the tag on and I'll jump in the ring with ya!  Oh, what the heck, I'll jump in anyway.

Even though we would like to look upon our jury system as being the best (and it very well may be), the truth is most juries are manned by idiots who couldn't find thier asses with both hands if they had directions.  If anyone thinks a jury, even with a judge's instructions, could comprehend the fact that it is legal for a law enforcement officer to deceive a subject in an interrogation, then they're dumb enough to qualify to be on a jury!  The average American schmuck could no better understand this fact then he could understand Einstein's theories.  They stand a better chance of understanding Einstein's bagels.  Even though we don't want to admit this, it's true.  Take the OJ Simpson trial.  The defense did a real number on that jury.  Did they really introduce any proof that the LAPD planted any evidence against Simpson?  All they did was introduce the possibility.  Just like they introduced the possibility it was Columbian drug dealers who killed the victims.  The jury bought it hook, line, and sinker.  The man got away with murder for one primary reason, the jury decided to overlook the facts, and ignore what they knew to be true.  They were IDIOTS!  Do you think they could have comprehended that it is OK for Law Enforcement Officers to lie to subjects?  Can you imagine the field day Simpson's defense would have had with that one?  The interview of Simpson was taped, but was never entered into testimony only because the clowns who did the interview didn't have a clue.  If they did, and they had lied in some way to poor OJ, and if they had obtained a confession (No doubt from a naive OJ, right George?), the jury would most likely have ignored it once they found out OJ had been lied to.   

So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this.  It seems the only ones who don't know this are the Bozo's on this site who believe we should be taping every interview and interrogation.   

Batman

IP Logged

New User

Reply #20 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 11:10pm
  “A former U.S. Army Sergeant and former Egyptian Army Major, Ali Mohamed, pled guilty in the U.S. District Court of New York to five counts of conspiring with known terrorist Osama Bin Laden in the 1998 bombings of U. S. embassies that killed 224 people that included 12 Americans.  In December 1995, the Defense Investigative Service (DIS) - now DSS - conducted a polygraph examination of Mr. Mohamed as a result of allegations developed during his PSI that he taught terrorist tactics in Middle Eastern countries.  This revealing and vital information was referred to another government agency for further investigation that ultimately led to Mr. Mohamed’s arrest and conviction.” 

Source:
Spotlight, Defense Security Service Newsletter, “The results of a polygraph examination used to convict a terrorist,” November/December 2000 Issue, page 8.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock (Guest)

Reply #21 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 11:31pm
Batman

At the risk of being labeled a biggot, I will tell you why O.J. was found "not guilty". The jury was all black. They would not have convicted him with a ton of evidence against him. This fact was printed in some newspapers. Anyone who can assess reality knows this. The prosecution team were the dummies here for letting this happen. 

Your statement that all juries are dumb is to, in my belief, raise hackles. There a some of us who can tell when prosecutors, defense lawyers and, yes, polygraphers are lying and we don't go for it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Oct 1st, 2002 at 2:52pm
Batman,

You write, among other things:

Quote:
Even though we would like to look upon our jury system as being the best (and it very well may be), the truth is most juries are manned by idiots who couldn't find thier [sic] asses with both hands if they had directions.  If anyone thinks a jury, even with a judge's instructions, could comprehend the fact that it is legal for a law enforcement officer to deceive a subject in an interrogation, then they're dumb enough to qualify to be on a jury!  The average American schmuck could no better understand this fact then he could understand Einstein's theories....

So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this.  It seems the only ones who don't know this are the Bozo's [sic] on this site who believe we should be taping every interview and interrogation.

You've made your contempt for the average American (whom you reckon a "schmuck") clear enough...

Leaving aside for the moment the ethical implications of the attitude you've expressed toward the public that you ostensibly serve, your argument that not all interrogations should be recorded because "juries for the most part are made up of idiots" is not logically sound: the fact that an interrogation was not recorded does not preclude a suspect from disputing an interrogator's account of what was said and done during the interrogation. On the one hand, when an interrogator fails to video- or audiotape an interrogation (a simple and inexpensive measure), a juror might reasonably attach more weight to the suspect's account of what actually transpired during the interrogation. On the other hand, as Anonymous has pointed out, the routine recording of interrogations would serve to protect interrogators by discouraging false claims by supects.

If the disdain for the average American in general and jurors in particular that you've expressed is as widely shared amongst your colleagues in law enforcement as you would have us believe, then perhaps this in and of itself is an argument for state and federal governments to compel the recording of all interrogations.

Apart from criminal interrogations, would you object to the routine audio- or videotaping of all employment-related polygraph interrogations?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #23 - Oct 1st, 2002 at 5:27pm
touche wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 11:10pm:

“A former U.S. Army Sergeant and former Egyptian Army Major, Ali Mohamed, pled guilty in the U.S. District Court of New York to five counts of conspiring with known terrorist Osama Bin Laden in the 1998 bombings of U. S. embassies that killed 224 people that included 12 Americans.  In December 1995, the Defense Investigative Service (DIS) - now DSS - conducted a polygraph examination of Mr. Mohamed as a result of allegations developed during his PSI that he taught terrorist tactics in Middle Eastern countries.  This revealing and vital information was referred to another government agency for further investigation that ultimately led to Mr. Mohamed’s arrest and conviction.” 

Source:
Spotlight, Defense Security Service Newsletter, “The results of a polygraph examination used to convict a terrorist,” November/December 2000 Issue, page 8.

touche,

How were the results of Mohamed's polygraph examination used to convict him (as the titled of the referenced DSS newsletter article suggests)? The brief text you've cited merely mentions that he was polygraphed "as a result of allegations developed during his PSI [Personnel Security Investigation]."

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2002 at 5:54pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #24 - Oct 1st, 2002 at 11:27pm
Geroge,   

I bow to your knowledge and experience when it comes to showing disdain.  You display disdain for the Law Enforcement community with your assumptions and rantings about illegally obtained confessions.  You display disdain for the Government with your protestations about its reliance on polygraph, which you know full well is not entirely true.  You diplay disdain for the entire legal system when you profess that teaching countermeasures is good for the whole even if it allows a few criminals to escape justice.  And all this disdain simply because you couldn't pass a polygraph examination.  You sit in your comfy little cubby pumping  out your retoric with now concern as to the damage you do.   

When I speak about the legal system I back that up with over 24 years of pratical experience.  When I speak about the juries that are manned by idiots I draw upon first hand experience.  How about this one?  A man shoots his wife with a shotgun, right to the heart from about 10 feet.  She's dead before she hits the floor.  He claims the weapon "just went off".  The weapon is tested in every manner possible and the only way it "just goes off" is when the trigger is pulled.  He is reinterviewed and admits to having his finger on the trigger, but when he was lifting the weapon up by the barrel he pulls forward, thus applying "reverse" pressure to the trigger.  Bang, a shot straight to the heart.  When he testifies in court he says the weapon's trigger gets caught in a blanket and it goes off.  Now the jury is fully aware of his other versions, yet they aquit him.  What classification of idiots do they fall within?

It situations like this that lead one to the conclusion that for the most part juries are made up of idiots.  If this is disdain then so be it, at least I come by it through real life experiences.  Other than your poor experience with polygraph and your uncanny ability to pull up inane facts via internet research, from what do you formulate all you disdain George?

As for my colleagues, I don't assume to speak for them, much unlike yourself, the great seeker of justice for all, regardless of the consequences.  You don't fool anyone but that little group of small minded individuals who hang on your every word, and yourself of course.  How's that for disdain?

Batman

IP Logged

New User

Reply #25 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 12:28am
Last January in Upper Darby, Delaware, Arthur M. Heyward was found dead from multiple gunshots.  A 16-year-old witness came forward and identified two young males, Chiamaka Williford and Cron Slowe, as the murders to the investigating officers.  Police offered polygraph testing to Williford and Slowe, and they both agreed to the examinations.  Both suspects passed their examinations regarding the murder of Heyward.  Williford was released from jail, but Slowe was held on an unrelated charge.  Subsequently, the investigation led to two other men, who were arrested and charged with the shooting.  The 16-year-old witness who provided the false statements regarding Williford and Slowe has been charged with making a false report to law enforcement authorities.

The Delaware County Daily Times, March 19, 2002.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 12:34am
On August 12th, 26-year-old Steve Fetters of Blissfield, Michigan, went to his parent’s home to pick up some laundry.  He had a conversation with two girls there, ages 7 and 5, who were friends of his niece who lived at his parent’s home.  The 7-year-old subsequently reported that Fetters had tried to entice the girls into his car.  Fetters denied the claim, and acknowledged talking to the girls, but never tried to get them into his automobile.  On August 28th, Fetters was charged with attempted kidnapping and child enticement based on the statement of the 7-year-old.  He was held without bond following the allegations.   

In a preliminary hearing on September 9th, the prosecutor interviewed the two girls, and came away unsure as to whether the accusations were true.  Fetters was held in jail until a polygraph examination was completed.  After spending nearly a month in jail, he was freed on September 25th, having passed his polygraph examination the day before.  The Fetters’ father was quoted as saying “I feel anger toward the woman and daughter.  I can forgive her but I can’t forget.  This has caused a lot of stress on the family and Steve.  He’s lost quite a bit of weight.  I can forgive, but I can’t forget.”

Tecumseh Herald, September 26, 2002

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5503417&BRD=2078&PAG=461&dept_id=38035...

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #27 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 6:42am
Batman,

You write:

Quote:
I bow to your knowledge and experience when it comes to showing disdain. You display disdain for the Law Enforcement community with your assumptions and rantings about illegally obtained confessions.

It is you, my friend, who described the average American as a "schmuck." I've made no similar characterization of the law enforcement community. I don't see how my comments regarding the risks of false confessions (not necessarily illegally obtained), and the benefits of recording all interrogations, amounts to disdain for the law enforcement community.

Quote:
You display disdain for the Government with your protestations about its reliance on polygraph, which you know full well is not entirely true.

What is not entirely true? You seem to be asserting that I'm lying about something. What?

I certainly do hold disdain for our government's reliance on polygraphy, but that does not translate into disdain for the U.S. Government in general, whose constitution I have sworn an oath to support and defend. With regard to the U.S. Government's reliance on polygraph screening, I share the sentiments of Dr. David Dearborn, a physicist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, who said at the Department of Energy's sham public hearings on polygraph policy, "If you choose to implement this astrology surrogate, and to treat us with such deep disrespect, do not confuse our contempt for arrogance."

Quote:
You diplay disdain for the entire legal system when you profess that teaching countermeasures is good for the whole even if it allows a few criminals to escape justice.

Again, you make a bizarre and entirely unwarranted leap of logic in supposing that my position regarding the ethics of making polygraph countermeasure information publicly available somehow amounts to "disdain for the entire legal system." (Note that our legal system, in the main, holds polygraphy in low regard.)

Quote:
And all this disdain simply because you couldn't pass a polygraph examination.

Not true. My disdain ("contempt" is an apter word) for polygraphy is based on much more than my personal experience. It is based on extensive research (see the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for a partial listing of sources I've consulted) and the knowledge that great harm has come to individuals, national security, and public safety as a result of misplaced institutional reliance on polygraphy. 

Quote:
You sit in your comfy little cubby pumping  out your retoric [sic] with now [sic] concern as to the damage you do.

I believe that when the pros and cons are weighed, the public interest is served by the truth about polygraphy (including the availability of effective countermeasures that polygraphers cannot detect) being made known. Note that the countermeasure information available on AntiPolygraph.org was not invented here. If we're compelling the law enforcement community to confront the reality that polygraph "testing" is easily countermeasured, then I think the public interest is also served thereby.

Quote:
When I speak about the legal system I back that up with over 24 years of pratical experience.  When I speak about the juries that are manned by idiots I draw upon first hand experience.  How about this one?  A man shoots his wife with a shotgun, right to the heart from about 10 feet.  She's dead before she hits the floor.  He claims the weapon "just went off".  The weapon is tested in every manner possible and the only way it "just goes off" is when the trigger is pulled.  He is reinterviewed and admits to having his finger on the trigger, but when he was lifting the weapon up by the barrel he pulls forward, thus applying "reverse" pressure to the trigger.  Bang, a shot straight to the heart.  When he testifies in court he says the weapon's trigger gets caught in a blanket and it goes off.  Now the jury is fully aware of his other versions, yet they aquit him.  What classification of idiots do they fall within?

It [sic] situations like this that lead one to the conclusion that for the most part juries are made up of idiots.  If this is disdain then so be it, at least I come by it through real life experiences....

Let me see. Your line of reasoning seems to run roughly as follows: a jury concludes that reasonable doubt exists as to a defendant's guilt of the crime with which he has been charged. You disagree. Therefore, the jurors are idiots. Therefore, "juries for the most part are made up of idiots." (Q.E.D.)

Quote:
Other than your poor experience with polygraph and your uncanny ability to pull up inane facts via internet research, from what do you formulate all you disdain George?

Again, I refer you to the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for examples of the sources on the basis of which I've reached my opinions regarding polygraphy and polygraph policy.

Quote:
As for my colleagues, I don't assume to speak for them...

Oh. I see. Forgive me for having concluded something different when you wrote, "So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies [sic] on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this" (emphasis added).

Quote:
...much unlike yourself...

For example?

Quote:
You don't fool anyone but that little group of small minded individuals who hang on your every word, and yourself of course.  How's that for disdain?

In what way do you believe that I am attempting to fool anyone?

To conclude, I don't think your opinions regarding the intelligence of jurors amount to a credible argument against the routine recording of interrogations, for reasons I addressed in my earlier post (and to which you did not respond).

Perhaps you'd care to address this question I asked you earlier: Apart from criminal interrogations, would you object to the routine audio- or videotaping of all employment-related polygraph interrogations? (If so, why?)
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2002 at 7:12am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #28 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 7:42am
touche wrote on Oct 2nd, 2002 at 12:34am:

On August 12th, 26-year-old Steve Fetters of Blissfield, Michigan, went to his parent’s home to pick up some laundry.  He had a conversation with two girls there, ages 7 and 5, who were friends of his niece who lived at his parent’s home.  The 7-year-old subsequently reported that Fetters had tried to entice the girls into his car.  Fetters denied the claim, and acknowledged talking to the girls, but never tried to get them into his automobile.  On August 28th, Fetters was charged with attempted kidnapping and child enticement based on the statement of the 7-year-old.  He was held without bond following the allegations.  

In a preliminary hearing on September 9th, the prosecutor interviewed the two girls, and came away unsure as to whether the accusations were true.  Fetters was held in jail until a polygraph examination was completed.  After spending nearly a month in jail, he was freed on September 25th, having passed his polygraph examination the day before.  The Fetters’ father was quoted as saying “I feel anger toward the woman and daughter.  I can forgive her but I can’t forget.  This has caused a lot of stress on the family and Steve.  He’s lost quite a bit of weight.  I can forgive, but I can’t forget.”

Tecumseh Herald, September 26, 2002

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5503417&BRD=2078&PAG=461&dept_id=38035... 

touche,

The article you've cited states that "Fetters was held pending the results of the polygraph, which turned out in his favor...."

I find it disturbing that such weighty decisions would be made on the basis of a procedure (polygraphy) that has no scientific basis and zero diagnositic value.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #29 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 3:03pm

Quote:

touche,

The article you've cited states that "Fetters was held pending the results of the polygraph, which turned out in his favor...."

I find it disturbing that such weighty decisions would be made on the basis of a procedure (polygraphy) that has no scientific basis and zero diagnositic value.

I suspect that Mr. Fetters would disagree with your notion that polygraph has "zero diagnostic value."  Yep, I am willing to bet that he is sitting in his kitchen right now, drinking a cup of coffee, a free man, and UTTERLY happy he ignored the advice of people like you and took that polygraph exam... 

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Who's Using Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X