Normal Topic failed lapd poly (Read 8554 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polycracker

failed lapd poly
Sep 24th, 2002 at 2:19am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I failed on 2 questions
#1 Use of drugs. Although i did admit i tried drugs, the polygrapher said i lied about the amount of usage. (i did not lie)
#2 Comitted serious crime. I have not comitted a serious crime. The polygrapher said he thinks i did but didnt get caught. (bah, how can this be! I never did) 

I am so disappointed.

You wont belive what he said to me afterwords. He says
" Back in the day, if you failed a question, we just hook you back up and ask it again, some people then pass. We cant do that anymore"
He said "Meet me half way here" i responded "i did meet half way, i took the test." 
Then i said "Do you meen to tell me that if i say i smoked pot 30 times instead of 3 times i may pass?" He then said "Did you smoke it 30 times?" I said "No, but if your telling me the only way to pass is to lie on my usage, then i may as well lie." He didnt respond. 
I was so baffled by the serious crime failure that i just stood up (as if i was done). Then the polygrapher stood up and walked me out. 

Alot more took place then that, but i just wanted to keep it to the point. Bullshit!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: failed lapd poly
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2002 at 6:56am
polycracker,

Be sure to contest your polygrapher's accusations in writing and request a "re-test." Otherwise, it will appear to LAPD that you accept the polygraph results.

About half of LAPD applicants are being accused of deception on the polygraph, and the Public Safety hiring division has shown a willingness to allow "re-tests." You can e-mail Phyllis M. Lynes, the Public Safety Employment Division chief, at plynes@per.lacity.org. Her phone number is (213) 847-9717.

In addition, our book The Lie Behind the Lie Detector will be of interest to you. I recommend reading it before your next seance with a polygrapher.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2002 at 7:52am
Thanks for your response. I was wondering what actions i should take. One thing though, the handout i received before my polygraph states "Unsupported claims of misconduct and all claims against the judgement of the polygraph examiner in evaluating a candidate's polygraph test results are not grounds for protest."

My protest is the polgraphers judgement isnt it? I am not sure if i have a valid protest (according to the handout), my only protest is that i feal the polygraph is wrong. Should i make the protest anyways? How would i word such protest?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2002 at 8:04am
polycracker,

The official line is as you stated (Civil Service Commission Rule 4.24). Nonetheless, in recent months, candidates who contest their polygraph outcomes have been granted "re-tests."

You should by all means contest the results. The key points in your letter should be that you told the truth but were falsely accused of deception, and that you request the opportunity to be re-tested.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DONE WITH LAPD

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2002 at 1:09am
Cracker,

I went through the lapd bs last year in OCT. I had ALMOST the exact same problem you did. I passed all except use of Marijuana, which I admitted to using 6 times. They said I lied about it, and i think the thing that made me nervous about it was the fact that I dont remember if it was 6 or 8 times, not more then 8 I think .Im 30, and it was 10 yrs ago. in any case, f. the LAPD, and the poly bullshit stuff that they imply. 1/2 the people like you and I that take it are told that they are lying, so I figure the only way to get in is to either be a sociopath, or take countermeasures. 

In any case, I got a good computer job that pays more then what a cop starts at, so my advice is screw law enforcement.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 4:02pm
Well i did appeal, no word yet. 

I have checked out two other departments, one which has told me that the LAPD poly is horse shit.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GUESTUST GUESS?

Re: FAILED PSYCH
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 1:51am

I agree on everything on here.  The only reason I am not depressed about being washed out on a couple law enforcement departments is because I am not the only one being jerked around.   On one department in (WEST FLORIDA) 50 miles South of Tampa, I passed everything and they made up some b.s. story that they gave it to other more qualified people, and that I would be reprocessed next hiring phase.  I remembered the Internal Affairs woman saying we have four openings, and I remember a Internal Affairs Lt. saying there were six.  Well they hired four people and she said they had previous l.e., or out of town applicants.  I was ok, that's fine.  Then a month or two down the line they hired two black males because the black public said this police agency was not diverse enough.  So me being a white male, 6'9" 290lbs, brown hair, blue eyes, no past arrests or major deals with police, never driven drunk was washed out.   To make this next one simple, I was given a interest letter from a Sheriff's department out in the boonies.  I filled out app, got reference letters out, got all positive feedback, and got a "conditional letter of employment".  I only needed to pass a CVSA test and a psychological exam.  Well I passed the CVSA, he said he saw no deception, of course.   And I took the psych.  I went on vacation and the major called and said I failed the psych, and I am washed out from the hiring process.      

Being honest has gotten me no where.  I did some stupid stuff as a juvenile, but not as an adult.   I am beginning to think they only want little church boys.   I am beginning to think that if you tell the truth and elaborate to much they will deny you.   I give up.. After filling out many applications and being truthful with all them, they just dont know.  DO THEY WANT LIARS OR SOMETHING?????????? IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING?    I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Re: FAILED PSYCH
Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 2:36am
Quote:
I am beginning to think they only want little church boys.

No, that strategy doesn't work either.  My record is so clean it's comical.  My brother joking speculates that my record is "too clean".  Still failed my poly.  It's a total farce.

So don't assume that the people who get though are squeeky-clean types.  I'm sure it's a mix of types.  I'm a little too bitter from my own experience to speculate rationally yet about what types get past their polygraph exams.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 2:59am
Polycracker, et al

You stated:   I said "No, but if your telling me the only way to pass is to lie on my usage, then i may as well lie." 

Sounds like a deceptive statement to me!

IP Logged

failed lapd poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X