Normal Topic Got a dumb question but need enlightenment (Read 2985 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nayr
New User

Got a dumb question but need enlightenment
Sep 23rd, 2002 at 6:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
??? - I took a poly back in June. Of course it was before I found out about this site. The poly was for an armored transport co. Anyways, on app I denied any marijuana use. Well, when the 1st exam was over drug use seemed to tip the scales. Anyways, I then spilled the beans. I don't have a drug problem. Well the polygrapher tested me again and said I still showed deception, even though this time I was honest  Angry
My question is this, I'm due to take a poly exam and know that they will ask if I ever took a poly before...I will answer yes...I'm just thinking that they might do a background with the armored company and might find out that I failed for the drug reason. Do you think it's possible for the PD to find out about the results or is it against the law. I was also debating about fudging the pre-test and saying that I didn't take the poly and I was going to use the techniques in Ch. 3 & 4 to hopefully nail it. Just curious what others would do in this situation?****But that would be deceptive itself.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: Got a dumb question but need enlightenment
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2002 at 4:08pm
nayr wrote on Sep 23rd, 2002 at 6:24am:
I took a poly back in June. Of course it was before I found out about this site. The poly was for an armored transport co. Anyways, on app I denied any marijuana use. Well, when the 1st exam was over drug use seemed to tip the scales. Anyways, I then spilled the beans. I don't have a drug problem. Well the polygrapher tested me again and said I still showed deception, even though this time I was honest

Obviously, the problem here lies within your non-admission on the written application combined with a 'damaging admission' during your polygraph interrogation. Even if your interrogator saw 'truthful' charts after your first damaging admission, he would have been wise (from his viewpoint) to continue to explore that area in the hopes that your first admission was less than totally candid and that you would admit either to further drug use or to other illicit or application-ending activities not disclosed on your written application.

Quote:
My question is this, I'm due to take a poly exam and know that they will ask if I ever took a poly before...I will answer yes...I'm just thinking that they might do a background with the armored company and might find out that I failed for the drug reason.

That's certainly plausible.

Quote:
Do you think it's possible for the PD to find out about the results or is it against the law.

No, it is highly unlikely that it's against the law, as you will be signing numerous, sweeping documents allowing for full background investigations and the release of *everything* from former employers, other departments with which you're testing, school, etc.

Quote:
I was also debating about fudging the pre-test and saying that I didn't take the poly and I was going to use the techniques in Ch. 3 & 4 to hopefully nail it. Just curious what others would do in this situation? But that would be deceptive itself.

Anyone, regardless of guilt or innocence, should use behavioral and physiological countermeasures when undergoing a polygraph interrogation, if you wish to pass it decisively. How do you think you should handle the problem of the previous polygraph?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nayr
New User

Re: Got a dumb question but need enlightenment
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2002 at 10:36pm
Thanks beech trees for the reply. I would rather forget the whole previous poly experience. On the pre-exam it asks if "have you ever taken a poly before." I will answer yes. I know the polygrapher will ask if I failed or not. I will simply reply I don't know, because I didn't get a letter stating that I had failed the polygraph. I would simply add that I got a letter about a week later stating that I didn't meet the job requirements at that time. If they dig up the admission of drug use then I'm had. Undecided I'm just hoping that it won't arise. I'll try my best to put the experience in a positive light. I just wish I had known then what I know now about the polygraph experience. Hope this benefits all who will.

IP Logged

Got a dumb question but need enlightenment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X