Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) They Said I Made Admissions also.. (Read 28744 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box A True Libertarian
New User

"Wake up it's 1984!"

Re: They Said I Made Admissions also..
Reply #30 - Oct 19th, 2002 at 10:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Friend of Pete:

I think that the posts by "Beech Trees" and "anonymous" strongly refute your assertions. Therefore, I need not further respond.

"To seek the truth one must be willing to thoroughly explore all sides of an issue, even if doing so challenges an individual's core beliefs and values. To do otherwise, only lays a foundation for dogma and ignorance!"&&&&A True Libertarian!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tom Sawyer
New User

Reply #31 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 8:15am
I agree that "Friend of Pete" has a distorted view of the libertarian movement! Those who are truly interested in the fight against misconduct by government officials and those who seek to promote individual rights should log onto the following links:

aclu.org
lp.org
and lets not forget: the cato institute website.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2002 at 3:54pm by Tom Sawyer »  

Tom Sawyer

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #32 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 8:29am
Quote:

I agree that "Friend of Pete" has a distorted view of the libertarian movement! Those who are truly interested in the fight against misconduct by government officials and those who seek to promote individual rights should log onto the following links:

aclu.org
lp.org
rush.com
and lets not forget: the cato institute website.

Neil

Since we've strayed thoroughly off-topic:

although I applaud the inclusion of the ACLU's website in the above list (a "civil libertarian", not a "libertarian" organization), I also recommend those interested in bona-fide libertarianism read some material not written by libertarians themselves:

world.std.com/~mhuben/libindex.html

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tom Sawyer
New User

Reply #33 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 8:47am
Skeptic:

I agree that the ACLU may not be a "Libertarian" think tank. However, I included the organization as one of my links for many valid reasons. You cannot argue that some of the organization's view points support libertarian party objectives, such as: civil rights issues and the fight against the prohibition of drug laws?
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2002 at 3:53pm by Tom Sawyer »  

Tom Sawyer

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 9:39am
Quote:

Skeptic:

I agree that the ACLU may not be a "Libertarian" think tank. However, I included the organization as one of my links for many valid reasons. You cannot argue that some of the organization's view points support libertarian party objectives, such as: civil rights issues and the fight against the prohibition of drug and alcohol laws? 

I agree completely that several objectives coincide.  The rationales are very different, though.

Is the fact that we've now ventured into political philosophy again an indicator that the pro-polygraph types really have been scared off by the NAS report?

Wink

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #35 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 9:52am
Skeptic,

Our pro-polygraph friends have indeed been uncannily silent since Tuesday, 8 October...

Grin

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 4:40am
Yes George,

Are we watching the sunset on a beautiful day or are we just going through the eye of the hurricane?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 7:38am

Fair Chance wrote on Oct 21st, 2002 at 4:40am:

Yes George,

Are we watching the sunset on a beautiful day or are we just going through the eye of the hurricane?

Both are probably a bit dramatic.  I would suspect that pro-polygraph types will be a bit sparse around here for a while.  The NAS report pretty much ends real debate, at least on the topic of polygraph security screening.

However, there's a difference between online debate and real-world results.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #38 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 8:48am
Skeptic wrote on Oct 21st, 2002 at 7:38am:

The NAS report pretty much ends real debate, at least on the topic of polygraph security screening.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  It does expose what was well known (and accepted) within the polygraph community (high false positive rates). This is only new to the public at large. I hope the broader dissemination of this info changes things but am .... skeptical. One only has to look at how hard it is to get rid of things like facilitated communication, zero point energy (free energy fantasies), and cold fusion....

It also strongly encourages real, high quality, research which is sorely lacking. One can't be sure, a priori,  of the results of such research.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #39 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 9:25am
Marty,

Actually, the NAS panel suggests that more polygraph research is not likely to significantly increase accuracy, stating at p. 8-2:

Quote:
Future Potential The inherent ambiguity of the physiological measures used in the polygraph suggest that further investments in improving polygraph technique and interpretation will bring only modest improvements in accuracy.

...which is academese for saying that "investment" in polygraph research is a waste of money.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #40 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 9:49am

Quote:

Marty,

Actually, the NAS panel suggests that more polygraph research is not likely to significantly increase accuracy, stating at ...which is academese for saying that "investment" in polygraph research is a waste of money.

I did NOT suggest more research was likely to increase accuracy, rather, it is needed because the research extant is so poorly done. It's just that one can not tell in advance what such research will yield. There is no reason to believe better research would show the polygraph more reliabile or less reliable than the current NAS estimates.  The NAS report calls for more research to determine where if anywhere it moght prove of some value. Also, they note the lack of almost any work on countermeasures other than a few anecdotes and that they were stonewalled in this area.

-Marty

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #41 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 10:00am
Marty,

Quote:
I did NOT suggest more research was likely to increase accuracy, rather, it is needed because the research extant is so poorly done. It's just that one can not tell in advance what such research will yield....

I suspect the same might be said of the extant research on phrenology. A dearth of competent research on a technique with such a weak theoretical basis as polygraphic lie detection does not necessarily create a compelling need for such research. Wink Admittedly, such research may be of some interest from a pure science standpoint.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 10:07am
I don't recall the NAS describing phrenology as better than 50-50 at anything either. It doesn't even have placebo value which at least the polygraph can claim!

Grin

-Marty

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #43 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 10:13am
Marty wrote on Oct 21st, 2002 at 8:48am:

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  It does expose what was well known (and accepted) within the polygraph community (high false positive rates). This is only new to the public at large. I hope the broader dissemination of this info changes things but am .... skeptical. One only has to look at how hard it is to get rid of things like facilitated communication, zero point energy (free energy fantasies), and cold fusion....

Fair enough.  Perhaps a better way to put it would be to note that the NAS report should realistically end debates of the type we've seen here at Antipolygraph.org (accuracy issues and countermeasure efficacy in screening applications).  If anything, it will shift the debate to where it belongs: whether it is rational and just to continue using a technique with such obvious drawbacks.

Perhaps you are correct that those drawbacks were widely known within the polygraph community, and perhaps not.  They certainly weren't unknown, but I have my doubts as to whether the average polygrapher knew the level of fraud in which he or she has been participating.  One does not need a world-class background in science and statistics to become a polygrapher.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2002 at 10:30am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #44 - Oct 21st, 2002 at 10:16am
Of course, it must be borne in mind that the NAS polygraph panel's conclusion that polygraphy can differentiate truth from deception at levels above chance in naive populations untrained in countermeasures is completely consistent with the notion that polygraphy is a pseudoscientific fraud that depends for any success on a naive and gullible public.

Wink

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
They Said I Made Admissions also..

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X