Normal Topic Took mine today - now i feel dirty (Read 4070 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sclaline
New User

Took mine today - now i feel dirty
Sep 16th, 2002 at 6:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey Guys,

I took a Pre employment Poly today for a Fire dept Dispatcher position.

I was really nervous - but i went in with the attitude that i would be totally honest - if i got the job fine - if i didnt then oh well it wasnt meant to be.

I had to make some changes to certain things on my application as i forgot some things (Previous employers)

I have had some disciplinary actions in the past - I only noted one - however i did have 3 tardy;s previously but we have a roll off at work after 1 year - so the tardies rolled off after 1 year - i put them on afterwards.

Ok I mentioned the one time i smoked pot and the one time i was given a perscriiption pill other than my own (mom game me some medicine because i shake bad normally)

Now this guy who administered the test was slick, he was my friend and wanted me to pass this test, I was honest with him. i did have to explain some things

Afterwards he said i showed reactions to Illegal drug use and omiting things from my application, retested but then he never told me how i did after the first time, i had to write a statement that i did not reveal these because i thought they were off my record.

Now as for the drug use i know for a fact that i only ever smoked pot 1 time and that was 3 hits and to no effect.

I feel so dirty and worried - I know i am not an angel - i was honest - nothing i have done in my past should disqualify me to my knowlege. I just feel confused

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Storhm
New User

Re: Took mine today - now i feel dirty
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2002 at 11:37am
Hi, I took mine on Friday 10-11-02, and i feel dirty as well. My situation is a little different. I babysat 2 boys and the 7 month old broke his arm. Mind you it did not happen at my house. The parents of the child and me and my husband are all great friends and nobody has ever blamed us. The Killeen Police dept are the only ones. They accused me of all these horrible things which are utterly untrue. My husband has his poly next week and i keep telling him to refuse. This is just a short version of all this stuff but leave me a message; I would love to hear your opinion on this. Thanks, Storhm remillard

Storhm Remillard
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box radaremtjcw

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 1:44am
Ok an Update - I am Now past the olygraph and background - i take my physical on wednesday and should start work on 11/11/02 - i am so glad for this forum - i was totally honest on the Polygraph and used no countermeasures but i still feel that the tests degrade honest people - oh well

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 3:12am

Quote:

Ok an Update - I am Now past the olygraph and background - i take my physical on wednesday and should start work on 11/11/02 - i am so glad for this forum - i was totally honest on the Polygraph and used no countermeasures but i still feel that the tests degrade honest people - oh well

If I might could I inquire as to how you answered the "control questions"?  Since you are aware they expected you to lie to calibrate your response, what did you do?

Based on my research here in the open (often pro-polygraph)literature, and It would appear that "telling the truth" to all questions is NOT the way to pass a polygraph. A rather 
disappointing fact.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box emtjwebb

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 4:25am
well let me see

I there anything you could be blackmailed for
have you ever stole anything from work

i didnt even identify the control questions - but the last question on the second pass was for me to divide 7 into 30 and i couldnt do it

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 6:39am
Quote:

well let me see

I there anything you could be blackmailed for
have you ever stole anything from work

i didnt even identify the control questions - but the last question on the second pass was for me to divide 7 into 30 and i couldnt do it

The first 2 were control questions. The idea is that they require significant thought and perhaps judgement calls, ie: ever take home pens, perhaps by accident. Ever xerox some documents, etc. The last question is interesting and appears to be an effort to measure your response to a certain level of mental activity. This produces results similar to what is expected from deception.  I assume they did not ask the 30/7 question in the preliminary list that go over with you first.

Perhaps George or Drew has some insight into the arithmetic question.

-Marty
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2002 at 7:11am by Marty »  

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box emtjwebb

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2002 at 4:45pm
it is interesting to note that the polygrapher kept harping on the fact i had a "reaction" to the questions

have you ever taken any illegal drugs besides what we discussed ( 1 time i smoked a joint and one time my mom gave me one of her pills - this was answered in the questionaire truthfully) and i do pride myself in the fact i rarely drink and never use drugs.

Now one question asked if i intentionally left anything out of my application i answered no and passed

then there was a question - did you fill out the application completely - and he said i had a reaction to that question

nothing against the guy giving the test i know he was doing his job.

IP Logged

Took mine today - now i feel dirty

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X