Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Cheaper Alternative to the Polygraph (Read 18348 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ratpatrol

Re: A Cheaper Alternative to the Polygraph
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 12:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

Skeptic wrote on Nov 3rd, 2002 at 6:30am:

As George has rightly pointed out, the average person need not fear that their visit to Antipolygraph.org will be documented and used against them.  To do so would require multiple warrants, not to mention the time, effort and people government organzations simply don't have to spare on such minor endeavors.

The multiple warrants would only be required if they intend to use it in court.  In the words of  Seeker, "It takes only someone with some capabilities in IT to be able to do it.  Then again, we do not need to get into the discussion about mirror imaging, the wealth of information contained in source codes, or any of the other tell-tale signs that one leaves every single time they even visit a site online.....

Beech, 
I believe your exact taunt was:
Quote:
Reach out, reach out and touch someone.........

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 1:14pm
Quote:
The multiple warrants would only be required if they intend to use it in court.

Not true. Electronic surveillance of an Internet site requires a court order in the United States (where AntiPolygraph.org's web hosting provider is located). In addition, in order to compel any Internet service provider (ISP) to divulge the name and billing details of a customer who used a certain IP address at a certain time, a subpoena would be required. To routinely identify those accessing AntiPolygraph.org, thousands of subpoenas would be required from multiple jurisdictions. And the use of an anonymous proxy (especially one outside U.S. jurisdiction) would greatly complicate any such effort.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ratpatrol

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 10:55pm
Hmmm.  George, does this mean that Seeker was lying when she said:

Quote:
"It takes only someone with some capabilities in IT to be able to do it.  Then again, we do not need to get into the discussion about mirror imaging, the wealth of information contained in source codes, or any of the other tell-tale signs that one leaves every single time they even visit a site online.....

Does Seeker go out and get all those warrants?   Surely if it is as simple as Seeker says then ANYONE could trace the identity of posters in here. 

Whatever you say in here is being monitored from all sides.  Concerned?  Stay away from antipolygraph.org.

http://stopcarnivore.org/ ;  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2002 at 11:11pm
Back to topic --

As implied by the first post in this thread, polygraph testing is no more accurate than chance in many cases.

The NAS report found the state of polygraph research to be very poor, and even that research which shows polygraph testing to be valid in the laboratory was dependent upon multiple factors unlikely to be present in the field.

The best the polygraph community has managed to do is to latch onto two sentences from the report and quote them out of context.

What it comes down to is the polygraph is highly fallible, easily fooled, and (especially when used for the general screening of large numbers of probably-innocent employees or prospective employees) results in either large numbers of falsely accused people or missed bad guys.

The NAS's bottom line: no spy has ever been caught by the polygraph, polygraph screening is a danger to national security, and should be stopped.

Skeptic

Note the fear with which the polygraph community has reacted to the NAS report.  Their bald attempts to sow paranoia and doubt among visitors to Antipolygraph.org only indicates their vested interest in the polygraph.  These are not honest people, and they do not have our best interests at heart.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mriddle6
New User

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 9:10am
"Whatever you say in here is being monitored from all sides.  Concerned? "

Well, no. Should I? 

"Remember, as Seeker and Beech Trees stated, you can be traced, and undoubtedly are being traced, 

Urr, excuse me. Are you implying that reseaching polygraph at this site is a threat to national security requiring the CIA, FBI and Secert Service to "Trace" every respondent? Well go head knock youself out.

so when your polygrapher asks you, "have you researched polygraph" think very carefully about your answer."

Are you suggesting here that if I truthfully disclose to my polygrapher that i've reseached polygraph that I would be more likely to fail?  Please explain.

Here is my humble opinion. If the polygraph was a reliable and valid scientfic method my polygrapher wouldn't have to worry about whether I've reseached polygraph practice and procedure. He would welcome it.

Have a nice day. Grin

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 9:43am
mriddle6 writes:

Quote:
If the polygraph was a reliable and valid scientific method my polygrapher wouldn't have to worry about whether I've reseached polygraph practice and procedure. He would welcome it.

Very well said!

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Reply #21 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 6:53am
We do welcome it. Just about every examiner I know has been given a copy of  george and dougs nonsense. 
I do agree with many of the posts, Georges is better.
However much of this information is inaccurate and very easy to spot.   

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 7:00am
Quote:

We do welcome it. Just about every examiner I know has been given a copy of  george and dougs nonsense. 

I can personally vouch for the fact that correctly-done (read: practiced) countermeasures, as taught in The Lie Behind The Lie Detector, are effective and undetectable by the (presumably) best-trained polygraphers.

I have not read Doug Williams' manual, but I presume his advice is also effective.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2002 at 7:39am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 7:58am
How often did you practice and how many times did it take? Be honest.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #24 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 8:20am

Quote:

How often did you practice and how many times did it take? Be honest.

I picked several "scorable" reactions and a base breathing rate, and practiced all of them, perhaps every other day over the course of about a month or so.  I doubt they would have required that level of practice, but I wanted to be competent at them.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 8:27am
Quote:

We do welcome it. Just about every examiner I know has been given a copy of  george and dougs nonsense. 

Polylawman,

If polygraphers do welcome their subjects having researched polygraph practice and procedure, as you assert, why is it that none of the pro-polygraph websites (American Polygraph Association, American Association of Police Polygraphists, PolygraphPlace.com, etc.) provide an honest explanation of such? And why do polygraphers routinely lie to and otherwise deceive examinees about the nature of the procedure, as documented in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector?

And if "much of [the information in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector] is inaccurate and very easy to spot," as you assert, then perhaps you would care to accept Dr. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge and demonstrate just how easy countermeasures are to spot?

Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2002 at 9:22am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2002 at 7:08pm
Quote:

However much of this information is inaccurate  

Realizing the the smallness of my mind I work very hard to keep it free of clutter by keeping things simple.

Based upon the information posted here and other sources I've attained the belief that the polygraph is unreliable and invalid because:

1) The results are easily manipulated not only by the examinee but also the examiner. Posts by the polygraph community have affirmed this by stating they can easily spot manipulations yet they refuse to accept a challenge from an expert Dr Richardson.

2) The polygraph is not valid because its not yet possible to correlate physiology to specific emotions.

In the real world of espionage you can be sure that these agents would be highly trained in the art of countermeasures.

In the real world of criminal investigation after a suspect has waived his rights, if a polygraph induces an admission more power to ya. 

Have a nice day 8)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2002 at 6:12am

mriddle6 wrote on Nov 7th, 2002 at 7:08pm:

In the real world of espionage you can be sure that these agents would be highly trained in the art of countermeasures.

Agreed!

The best way to beat a polygraph would require a proficient polygraph operator, polygraph, and unlimited time to test against such a professional.  The polygraph examiner would be required to give positive or negative feedback to the examinee.  The examinee would have to practice and have complete confidence in his countermeasures.  A spy trying to beat the system would have no shortage of the above resources and would most likely have a good chance of passing a polygraph exam.  Most citizens taking an average exam do not have such elaborate resources.  The logical conclusion being that the average applicant will be more likely to fail than a trained spy.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2002 at 10:29am

Quote:

Agreed!

The best way to beat a polygraph would require a proficient polygraph operator, polygraph, and unlimited time to test against such a professional.  The polygraph examiner would be required to give positive or negative feedback to the examinee.  The examinee would have to practice and have complete confidence in his countermeasures.  A spy trying to beat the system would have no shortage of the above resources and would most likely have a good chance of passing a polygraph exam.  

So you agree than that its useless for the FBI, CIA and the DOE to use it to fret out spies  Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2002 at 5:11pm
Mriddle6,

Yes, I agree with your conclusions which agree with the NAS study results.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
A Cheaper Alternative to the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X