Normal Topic A Hint at the NAS Report Recommendations? (Read 3346 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

A Hint at the NAS Report Recommendations?
Aug 18th, 2002 at 4:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ariana Cha's article, "Lie Detecting Devices: Truth or Consequences?" in today's (18 Aug. 2002) Washington Post includes an interesting description of the views of Paul Ekman, who is a member of the National Academy of Sciences' polygraph review panel:

Quote:
Paul Ekman, a psychology professor at the University of California in San Francisco, is one of the researchers studying the validity of polygraphs for national security applications for a National Academy of Sciences report due out in late fall. He said the government's faith in polygraphs is misplaced and that it should instead spend its money on better interrogation training for its agents.

Cheesy

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Re: A Hint at the NAS Report Recommendations?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 3:11am
George,

The reporter’s extract of her interview with Paul Ekman was so brief I wouldn’t feel comfortable thinking he was speaking of the consensus of the panel.  Perhaps he was simply expressing his own view.  Similarly, the comment about interrogation left me wondering what he was referring to – training in traditional interrogation, or perhaps in the detection of micro-expressions using the system he developed.  It is unfortunate the reporter didn’t include more of the interview.

The reporter made two factual errors when describing the polygraph, the first of which was particularly egregious.  She claimed no studies have proven that the polygraph works.  [Perhaps she visited your site!   Wink].  She also stated that the Supreme Court ruled that private businesses could not use the polygraph.  It was the legislative branch, not the judicial, that enacted the Employee Polygraph Protection Act.

Speaking strictly for myself, I will await the NAS report to learn their official view.  I suspect it will be rather complex, leaving something for all sides to put their spin on.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 10:43pm
Gordon,

I would agree with you that Paul Ekman's expressed view is not necessarily shared by the majority of the NAS polygraph panel. Nonetheless, it may provide a hint regarding the direction in which the panel is headed. At a minimum, the scientific evidence on the polygraph reviewed by the committee appears not to have persuaded Dr. Ekman that the government's faith in the polygraph is well-placed.

You also write:

Quote:
The reporter made two factual errors when describing the polygraph, the first of which was particularly egregious.  She claimed no studies have proven that the polygraph works.  [Perhaps she visited your site!   Wink].

Actually, what she wrote is, "No studies have ever proven that lie detectors work" (emphasis added). In context, she seems to group polygraphs and voice stress analyzers together under the term "lie detector."

Still, I think she's right, at least with regard to the polygraph "Control" Question "Test" and the Relevant/Irrelevant "Test." Because these techniques lack both standardization and any scientifically meaningful "control" whatsoever, one cannot prove that the technique "works" (in the sense of having any diagnostic validity).

As David Lykken observed in A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector, "...the theory and methods of polygraphic lie detection are not rocket science, indeed, they are not science at all." And Lykken's views are shared by most of the relevant scientific community. As we note in Chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:
In 1994, William G. Iacono and David T. Lykken conducted a survey of opinion of members of the Society for Psychophysiological Research (SPR) (Iacono & Lykken, 1997). Members of this scholarly organization constitute the relevant scientific community for the evaluation of the validity of polygraphic lie detection. Members of the SPR were asked, "Would you say that the CQT is based on scientifically sound psychological principles or theory?" Of the 84% of the 183 respondents with an opinion, only 36% agreed. Moreover, SPR members were asked whether they agreed with the statement, "The CQT can be beaten by augmenting one's response to the control questions." Of the 96% of survey respondents with an opinion, 99% agreed that polygraph "tests" can be beaten.

And in any CQT examination, the examiner really has no way of knowing whether sophisticated countermeasures were employed or not, which is but one of the myriad uncontrolled confounding variables that prevent the CQT from having any true diagnostic validity.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2002 at 9:13am
Gordon,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
Speaking strictly for myself, I will await the NAS report to learn their official view.  I suspect it will be rather complex, leaving something for all sides to put their spin on.

Now that the NAS report has been out for two weeks, what, if anything, do you see in it that can be "spun" in favor of polygraph screening?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

A Hint at the NAS Report Recommendations?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X