Normal Topic Help me understand (Read 4903 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box freebird
New User

Help me understand
Aug 10th, 2002 at 4:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have read and studied the Lie Behind the Lie Detector and am not sure how to distinquish between the control questions vs the relevent ones.  Can someone explain it in a simple way for me?   Also, I am having trouble contracting the "muscle" -I guess I will have to go with the biting of the tongue?

Appreciate any help you can give me...I have to pass the test.

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: Help me understand
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2002 at 5:21pm
freebird wrote on Aug 10th, 2002 at 4:12am:

I have read and studied the Lie Behind the Lie Detector and am not sure how to distinquish between the control questions vs the relevent ones.  Can someone explain it in a simple way for me?   Also, I am having trouble contracting the "muscle" -I guess I will have to go with the biting of the tongue?

Appreciate any help you can give me...I have to pass the test.

Control Questions are vague, can cover a large span of time, are open to a vast number of 'definitions', and leave one with a vague sense of uneasiness or outright doubt as to the certainty of one's response. Relevant Questions are narrow in scope and can easily be answered with little equivocation.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lil_c_vip
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 11:23am
so with controll ?'questions  makin you feel uneasy as the one have you lied to get out of trouble should you say yes everyone has or what? i dont get that? please explain thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lil_c_vip
New User

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 10:46pm
could someone replie to any of the last 3 issues i wrote please i have to take the polograph in 3 days

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 12:25am
To the question you have posed.  Initially you would answer yes.  The examiner will then ask you to expand and provide every instance which relates to the question.  The assumption is that you have most likely lied to get out of trouble many times and therefore cannot with complete confidence provide every example.  The control question on the actual test may be worded, "Other than what you have discussed with me, have you ever lied to get out of trouble."  Again the assumption is that you have lied regarding this subject because you simply cannot remember every time you have lied to get out of trouble.  A relevant question will be more direct such as, "Have you ever stolen money from an employer."  My understanding is that control questions are vague and loose.  Relevant questions will be direct.  There are those on this board that are much more knowledgable than myself.  I have been subjected to only one poly and didn't know the difference or even of the existence of control or relevant questions prior to my test.  However, rethinking my test after gaining some knowledge on the subject I can recall questions which fit into each category.  Also the completely stupid questions, "Are the lights on?"  I was told that if I could not be honest with myself regarding questions like these which both the examiner and myself knew the obvious answer, quote, "We'll have a real problem."  I only answer because I have not seen any other replies to your question.

IP Logged

Help me understand

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X