Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) You won't believe this!! (Read 17990 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: You won't believe this!!
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 12:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Batman,

In view of the truly significant problems which do exist in the world of polygraphy (e.g., polygraph screening), a resolution which allows for the use of either polygraph examiner or forensic psychophysiologist (thank God—right, PDD-Fed?? —very clever of the polygraph community to have unleashed such a bold initiative and yet allow you not to have to change your business cards Wink) as a job description/title is hardly a worthy end goal for the caped crusader.  I do believe though that we have stumbled upon a suitable candidate for next year's awards in that "pimple on a giant's butt" category you unveiled recently...cheers
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2002 at 2:02am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 2:47pm

Batman wrote on Aug 11th, 2002 at 11:08pm:

Gents,

...Forensic Psychophysiologist and Psychophysiological Detection of Deception are an emabarrasment....The "fancy" terms were created by the "leadership" of DoDPI (Bill Yankee & Mike Capps) in their feable attempt to become more accepted within the scientific community....

Actually Batman, these terms were initially pursued by Bill Yankee, PhD.  Mike Capps was in no way involved (He wasn't even employed at DoDPI at the time).  Dr. Yankee was the DoDPI director in the early 1990's and had dedicated his professional life to working more closely with the Psychophysiological community.  He opened the doors of DoDPI to academics from many disciplines, to include the likes of John Furedy and Bill Iaconno.  He invited open discourse and oversite and was instrumental in the development of DoDPI as a graduate level academic institution.  He believed the term, Psychophysiological Detection of Deception provided a more accurate description of what the people in this community actually do.  Ditto for "Forensic Psychophysiologist."  Dr. Yankee felt that since we conduct Psychophysiological testing in a forensic setting, these terms were appropriate.  After all, is a Cardiologist a "Stethoscope Examiner?"

It is true that most federal Polygraph Examiners and program managers were not comfortable with the new terminology and have slowly drifted back to terms they are more comfortable with.  However, I would in no way classify the work of a great man like Dr. Bill Yankee as a "feeble attempt."

We should all be guilty of such "feeble attempts."  Maybe sites like this would have no reason to exist...

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 3:31pm
PDD-Fed,

You are quite right about Bill Yankee.  It was his keen desire to see polygraphy rise from its status quo and polygraph education rise from trade school education it had largely been for decades.  I know because I sat in his office in the early 1990s, discussed his desires extensively with him and offered contact information relative to the American Academy of Forensic Science, a group that he at the time was unfamiliar with.  It was his desire to see the entry level qualifications (academic background and experience) of examiners change with these changes being reflected in a change in the manner and nature of how they would (could) be taught followed by, and I repeat followed by, various academic associations and interactions.  It would not have been his desire to see sham associations and degree awards that sought merely to artificially inflate credentials in the absence of substantive change.  I am not convinced that his vision has in any way become reality, but it still could...   

I believe I asked you in a previous post if matriculation requirements had changed for basic examiner training at DoDPI since that time.  I don't believe I've seen a reply.  At that time, federal agency employment, criminal investigative experience, and an undergraduate degree in anything were sufficient for entry.  Since that time has formalized prior academic involvement with psychology and physiology been mandated?  Until such time as this is done, there exists no real possibility of serious graduate level education in the discipline of psychophysiology.

With regard to the academic review committee you referred to, again I am quite familiar with that topic because of personal involvement.  Although a polygraph student myself at the time, because of my prior research and other academic contact with John Furedy, my shared research interests with Steve Porges (a member of my doctoral dissertation defense committee) and general contact with Bill Iacono (largely persona non grata with the polygraph community at that time as a result of being David Lykken's student), I made initial contacts with and referred these gentlemen to Bill Yankee for their potential involvement.  The other two gentlemen who participated, Ed Katkin (Sheila Reed's former doctoral committee advisor) and Chris Patrick (formerly a graduate student of Bill Iacono) were suggested by Sheila Reed and others.  What you neglect to mention in your previous post is that in the intervening years, this academic review committee (amazingly containing three past presidents of the Society for Psychophysiological Research) was dismissed largely leaving DoDPI without serious outside academic review and oversight of any kind.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2002 at 5:14pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 6:11pm

Quote:

PDD-Fed,

I believe I asked you in a previous post if matriculation requirements had changed for basic examiner training at DoDPI since that time.  I don't believe I've seen a reply.  At that time, federal agency employment, criminal investigative experience, and an undergraduate degree in anything were sufficient for entry.  Since that time has formalized prior academic involvement with psychology and physiology been mandated?  

...in the intervening years, this academic review committee (amazingly containing three past presidents of the Society for Psychophysiological Research) was dismissed largely leaving DoDPI without serious outside academic review and oversight of any kind.

Drew,

The matriculation requirements are the same.  However, it is my understanding that DoDPI just underwent a major inspection by a regional accrediting body (with the goal to eventually award its own degree and not having to rely on an association with another school.)   This body allegedly reviewed the coursework of the Psychology and Physiology courses and approved them both for graduate level credit leading towards a Masters in Forensic Psychophysiology.

On the next topic, you are right about the dismissal of the academic review committee.  That was the decision of the regime that followed Dr. Yankee's and I personally believe it to be have been an extrordinarily bad decision for a variety of reasons.  After all, if you are trying to make new friends, you don't kick people out of your house...

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 6:51pm
PDD-Fed,

In the early 1990s (at the time Dr. Sheila Reed was teaching psychology and physiology to polygraph students at DoDPI) she (in particular) and DoDPI would have had more than sufficient credentials to teach these disciplines at a master’s level. The problem was that the students did not have the background to be taught at this level.  Until such time as matriculation requirements change, this will most assuredly remain the case...

You write:

Quote:
...On the next topic, you are right about the dismissal of the academic review committee.  That was the decision of the regime that followed Dr. Yankee's and I personally believe it to be have been an extraordinarily bad decision for a variety of reasons.  After all, if you are trying to make new friends, you don't kick people out of your house...

We are apparently in complete agreement on this topic.  I don't believe that this serious mistake of the post Bill Yankee era is one lacking a remedy.  Although a distinguished group comprised of individuals such as these will no doubt be appropriately leery of any similar future involvement, because they are all serious professionals as well as academics and because many of the same challenges (some augmented) exist today as did a decade ago, I suspect that they might  be successfully prevailed upon to reassemble their advisory group.  Perhaps you might explore the possibility...

As you may recall, the aforementioned advisory group strongly opposed the use of polygraph screening in the early 90s.  I suspect if this group had remained a viable body, the polygraph excesses we have witnessed since might never have occured and the need for this site and message board discussion might never have existed. Regards,

Drew Richardson

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2002 at 7:22pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 8:51pm
Drew,

What do you think the background should be for the students to be taught at the Masters level at DoDPI.  I have to tell you Drew, I've had alot of success with the polygraph when I use it ONLY as an investigative tool, and not as a means to determine guilty or not guilty.  And when used for pre-employment, it all depends on how the test results are used.  If the test results are used as the sole reason to disqualify, that is trying to do more than it can do.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 9:07pm
Yankeedog,

If the master's program you refer to is one in the area of psychophysiology, then I believe serious undergraduate preparation in the areas of psychology and physiology should be mandatory.  Quite likely coursework related to the general conduct of research and basic statistical methods should be included as well in this list of pre-matriculation requirements.  If the master's degree were to be offered in criminal justice (or something else), then the requirements would obviously be different.

Although I question the validity of control question testing in both specific issue testing and (particularly in) screening applications, I probably would not strongly disagree with your stated uses.  If examinees are protected through the investigative process with the former use and through subsequent focused background investigations with the latter use, I would be much less concerned than I am with the use of polygraph screening as a sole determinant of suitability for employment or continued employment (the focus of this site).  I should point out though, that I believe it is certainly possible that instead of an examinee being protected from the consequences of a false positive result through further investigation, that the examinee might well be the victim of a false positive polygraph result stemming from the bias (passed from investigating/case agent to polygrapher) of a wrong (but prevailing) investigative theory at the time of the exam.  Regards,
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2002 at 10:33pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box furedy
User

When Re: You won't believe this!!
Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 12:36am
On "forensic psychophysiology", the MA program, Bill Yankee, and the advisory committee: Some recollections to add to Drew Ricahardson's and others' comments

John Furedy

When Drew was a student at DODPI, apparently at his institation, Bill Yankee invited me to give a talk (my usual anti-CQT) one that was videotaped (I still have the video copy, although apparently DODPI destroyed its original), and also consulted with me on how to mount an academically resepctable master's program.  During this period, I suggested the term "forensic psychophysiology" to best describe what DODPI was doing.   

However, I argued that forensic psychophysiology (FP) actually had to components, detection of guilt (best done by GKT-type methods) and interrogation (for which the CQT-type polygraph was a useful prop).  I suggested that the MA program consist of two strands, i.e., the science of detection and the art of interrogation.  Perhaps because most of even the scientific North American community don't accept this distinction (between the GKT and the CQT), my suggestion of this distinction was not accepted, but the FP term obviously was.

A little later Bill formed the advisory committee, whose main function was to suggest how the research profile at DODPI could be raised, through the publivcation of papers in high-quality, peer-reviewed scientific jouirnals.  I and most others on the committee agreed that even if the CQT was employed in the field, research focussed on the GKT should be carried out.  This advice also was not very much followed, after which we were all fired by the new director who wished to change the DODI direction, which he did.

A final recollection, the date of which I'm not certain.  Id beenappearing in court since 1982 against the polygraph, of which DODPI was aware.  However, there was a court martial in New Mexico involving the accusation of rape during desert storm (I think the case is Martinez) at which I specifically criticized a DODPI method of delivering the CQT, and got the polygraph-related evidence thrown out.  Soon after I learned that there was another meeting of the advisory commitee, to which, however, I had not been invited.  When the other members of the committee said that they would not come unless I also came, I was invited, and attended what I think was the last or second-last meeting of the committee before it was dismissed.

IP Logged

You won't believe this!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X