Normal Topic contradictory questions? (Read 4136 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box chicbette

contradictory questions?
Aug 8th, 2002 at 6:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My fiance was falsely accused of threatening someone by flashing a gun at them.  He is on probation for an entirely non-violent crime, but his probation officer asked him to take a polygraph to "prove" his innocence of these allegations.  (Incidentally, the accusation was made by someone who is trying to extort money from us - he placed a laughably fraudulent lien on our commercial property, and has a sum for which he told an acquiantance he would "go away.")  There are video tapes of the incident from several security cameras, and even though we have begged and pleaded with the police to obtain and view the tapes, the probabtion officer preferred that my guy make it easy on him and spend the $500 to take a polygraph.   

Anyway, he VOLUNTARILY took this test, and flunked it.  (Prior to this, he truly believed the poly could prove his innocence)  Now here's the catch - the examiner asked the following relevant questions:  DId you threaten MR. X with a gun on the day in question?  (polygraph indicated he was lying)  DId you drive by such and such a place waving a gun on the day in question?  (Polygraph indicated he was lying)  Did you have a gun in your possession at any time during that day?  (Polygraph indicated his "no" response was truthful.)

If we are to assume that the polygraph is 100% accurate, how could he have threatened someone with a gun, driven by waving a gun, if he did not have a gun in his possession at any time?  Contradictory Questions!!!  Anyway, the examiner told the probation officer that he flunked the polygraph, mumbling something about his opinion that he was ascertained to be lying on more questions than he was truthful on.   

Incidentally, my nervous-by-nature guy was so stressed out during the whole, gruelling process that his vision blurred.

So...any advice on where to go from here?  Do you suggest another polygraph to contest these results?   
FYI although a poly is not admissable in court if charged w/a crime, it IS admissable if charged w/a probation violation.  This could send him to prison for something he did not do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: contradictory questions?
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2002 at 10:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
chicbette,

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and proceed directly to Chapter 3, which explains the tenuous assumptions on which polygraph "testing" depends, and how truth versus deception is actually inferred in a polygraph "test." (It ain't science.)

All your fiance's "failing" means is that he reacted more strongly when answering accusatory relevant questions like, "Did you threaten MR. X with a gun on the day in question?" than when answering so-called "control" questions like, "Did you ever lie to get out of trouble?"

I think it would be foolhardy for your fiance to try to prove his innocence with yet another polygraph "test." A more sensible approach it seems would be to have the video surveillance tapes reviewed. But at this stage, I think your fiance needs the counsel of a good criminal defense lawyer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

contradictory questions?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X