Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Back to the Basics (Read 35698 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Inquest
New User

Back to the Basics
Jul 31st, 2002 at 2:59am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am new to this site and to date, have read through roughly 30-40 messages posted here so please correct me if any of my assesments are incorrect.

First, my own position on the validity of polygrapgh is favoring the pro-polygraph side, though I have only recently been introduced to polygraph from a low-level research and development point of view. Second, skeptics, in any scientific endeavor, are absolutely vital so long as they are capable of making the distinction between examining the premise and examining the procedure.

Most messages posted to this board are in some way related to the question, 'Are the current methods for conducting a Polygraph examination valid?' However, it seems that before we can answer this question we must ask another more fudamental question 'Is it possible to determine a subjects guilt or innocence based solely on the subjects response to a series of prepared questions?' In other words, can any polygraph type system work?

In the attempt to answer this large question, let's first ask a series of smaller questions

1. 'Does a guilty conscience, or fear of repurcussions cause stress?'

I believe almost everyone will agree the answer here is yes.

2. 'Is there a difference between nervous stress and stress due to guilt or fear of repurcussions?'

The magnitude of stress should increase when associated with something concrete. For instance, being afraid of enclosed spaces versus being afraid of enclosed spaced while you are trapped in a packing crate.

3. 'Is there a consistent physiological response to stress?' 

The answer to this intuitively seems to be yes, most of us have experienced stress and realise that it ocan cause an involuntary constriction of muscles, increased heart rate and alter breathing.

4. ' Can we detect this physiological response?'
Here I'm afraid some of you will have to believe me on faith or check it out for yourselves, the answer is yes, it is a simple task to detect altered heart rate, breathing and skin conductivity (sweat).

The conclusion then seems to be that guilt causes stress, we can detect stress or increases in stress, therefore we should be able to detect guilt.

Someone may counter, taking an exam causes stress. My response here is, as far as I understand it, this is what the control questions are for. Control questions, if worded properly, are meant to induce some stress based on abstract notions. In a relevant question, the stress level should increase if the subject is guilty and remain constant otherwise.

Now, is there something I am missing from the above premises, is there a Polygraph analysis cannot work or are you arguing only about its current methodoligies?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: Back to the Basics
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2002 at 4:38am
Inquest,

Welcome to the message board.  The currently and most widely used polygraph formats (control question tests)  seek to allow a polygraph examiner to make determinations about the presence or absence of examinee deception (actually not a determination of guilt).  The generally offered polygraph community explanation of how this works is based on the concept of "fear of detection."  I have previously posted material (part of a thread on underlying theory) for why I believe this to be an inadequate/incorrect explanation for what transpires and for what I believe actually does occur.  I will repost here that post and a preceding one that was posted by Anonymous (Addressed to Dr. Gordon Barland, formerly Chief of Research at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI)).  I hope you will find this material useful in your analysis.  I would be happy to discuss it further when you have had an opportunity to read it.  I apologize for its length, but I’m afraid this is only the beginning…

First Post By Anonymous:

Gordon,

While I have enjoyed our exchanges regarding countermeasures/counter-countermeasures involving the CQT polygraph exam and don't in any way want to discourage you from continuing that thread (responding to the numerous outstanding questions/comments put to you as well as adding your own additional thoughts), I thought I'd introduce another fundamental line of discourse regarding the CQT. That would be to take a look at the fundamental theory of its practice. Although many theories have been offered over the years, it appears that polygraphers seem to return over and over again to the notion involving "Fear of Detection" on the part of both guilty and innocent (of relevant issues) examinees. Theory has it that, following the proper "setting" of test questions (a very subjective pre-test procedure worthy of its own discussion--another post) guilty subjects, upon in-test presentation, will respond most strongly to relevant questions and innocent subjects to control questions, thereby giving a basis for the general overall and spot scoring used (scoring, yet another future topic for our consideration) in evaluating CQT polygraphy.

The notion that I would like to raise at this point is a diametrically opposing theory for why CQT polygraphy would NOT be expected to work (would be expected to result in false positives): "Fear of Consequences." I am not suggesting that there are not other reasons (anger, surprise, revulsion, etc.) for why the "test" might be confounded on any given use, but I believe the suggested general mechanism is why one would question its working in a large number of situations.  I think it is quite reasonable to believe that anyone would react to being asked about involvement in certain crimes, not because of fear of being caught in a lie, but because of a fear of the consequences of having been so branded, independent of and regardless of whether that one (the polygraph examinee) had actually told the truth or told a lie during a polygraph exam regarding matter(s) under investigation.

Is it not reasonable to expect an examinee to respond to the relevant question "Did you rob the bank?" physiologically because he knows that deception-indicated polygraph results may lead to prosecution and conviction, denial of freedom, access to family, friends and worldly resources, etc.?  Furthermore, is this not even successively more and more likely in the case involving a capital crime, and one in which the examinee's being subject to the death penalty may have been mentioned in the course of the investigation prior to an exam? Perhaps the worst real-case scenario relates to a well-publicized case in which a CQT polygraph exam was given to a death row inmate within hours of the administration of his death penalty sentence. Is there any sane rationale for such an action, and, with the obvious psychological pressures commensurate with such a scenario, is there any way one could reasonably expect an innocent polygraph examinee, under such conditions, to focus on control questions (via some fear of detection mechanism) as opposed to the relevant questions that directly relate to his imminent demise (via a fear of consequences mechanism)? I think not.

Admittedly, I have gone from a rather commonplace criminal investigation (bank robbery) to what to me is one of the most egregious uses of CQT polygraphy on record, but one can imagine the same issues applied to a job applicant having an offer of employment riding solely on a polygraph exam or even look to a rather routine non-criminal setting to see evidence of what I am suggesting.  It is not uncommon for an individual who is having his blood pressure measured to respond with a sudden increase in systolic blood pressure (as much as 30 mm Hg), not because he is necessarily hypertensive but because he may well be hyper-reactive. The nature of this hyper-reactivity, the so-called "white coat effect," may well stem from a fear of consequences, i.e., the inability to maintain a certain job, inability to get or maintain life insurance, inability to participate in certain athletic activities, etc., following a determination of hypertension.  Is not this sort of phenomenon that we see fairly routinely evidenced with blood pressure readings (perhaps occurring through the suggested mechanism via the same autonomic response system in play with CQT polygraphy) actually what may well be happening with polygraphy? I would appreciate your thoughts on these issues.

Note: I expect to be preoccupied with other matters over the next several days, but do look forward to continuing our discussion(s).

Second Post by Drew Richardson:

The theory of "fear of consequences" for why a polygraph exam does NOT work may have some additional important ramifications beyond what Anonymous has already provided us with.  If the real-life consequences of relevant question material are what is driving polygraph results, this would tend to make the test more accurate for guilty people (who would be identified through present polygraph scoring if they are focused and respond more strongly to relevant-question consequences than control) and less accurate for innocent (whose focus and response to relevant-question consequences would be a confound for present polygraph formats and scoring stratagems).  It could well be that polygraph accuracy and paradigm validity is greater for guilty subjects than innocent subjects (perhaps the latter being accurately claimed by Lykken and Iacono to be somewhere near fifty percent (random chance) and zero (or completely lacking), respectively).

This would also explain why criminal polygraph examiners might be at least partially blind to the error they propagate.  In a real field criminal setting polygraph examiners do not develop their own cases.  Investigating case agents present them with cases and polygraph examinees.  A high percentage of those cases brought are from case agents who believe the suggested examinee is guilty of a crime and, in fact, are likely correct as evidenced through their investigation(s).  This phenomenon (a disproportionately high number of guilty subjects), the "fear of consequences" effect, plus any bias developed by the polygraph examiner as a result of having the case agent's investigative hypothesis would all tend to produce a higher degree of accuracy for the preponderance of criminal tests (those given to guilty subjects), but would leave examiners completely blind to and surprised by the error they produce with innocent criminal suspects and the legions of screening examinees who are largely innocent of relevant matters examined.

The theory of "fear of consequences" also has great implications for polygraph research.  Any paradigm which did not have sufficient consequences to invoke this phenomenon (assuming it to be a valid explanation) would have very little external validity and would tend to underestimate false positive results.  A typical polygraph screening study of the past would be a simulated crime scenario having college students or military recruits play the roles of programmed guilty or innocent subjects.  I strongly believe that neither the crimes nor the polygraph exams would have sufficient consequences to invoke such a reaction and physiological response and therefore be largely meaningless.  Let me explain.  A typical crime would be something like a theft of $10.00 from a desk drawer (again of no particular consequence--I have witnessed participants even laugh at the notion of such a crime and that an FBI agent would be investigating such).  Typically, examinees would be given some sort of financial reward (perhaps even $100.00) if they could pass the polygraph exam related to the simulated crime.  This latter exercise not only does not represent the consequences associated with real life polygraph exams, but also in fact is quite the opposite--a reward for some sort of achievement.  Following the polygraph exam, both guilty and innocent subjects leave the suite not to be further contacted, investigated or to have any further involvement with those who conducted the exercise---again, all this having been accomplished in the absence of any true consequences.  

All of this put together would lead to a variety of absurdities--not only the reward (as opposed to punishment/consequences) associated with polygraph decisions but the notion of having the would-be criminal committing a crime, not for the spoils of the crime, but for the privilege of entering the polygraph lottery where the rewards might be ten times as great as those associated with the original crime.  People do not commit crimes for the opportunity to profit from polygraph exams.  Aside from all the humor involved in such an exercise, the serious downside and flaw is that the lack of any consequences would result in an underestimate of the true rate of false positives in the real world and be severely lacking in external validity as a test paradigm.  Bill Iacono has quite correctly pointed out how field-based polygraph research that utilizes confessions for determining ground truth about subject guilt would also lead to the underestimation of the rate of false positives occurring in real life polygraph exams.  Polygraph research and how we fundamentally view polygraphy may well need to go back to the drawing board...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2002 at 7:59pm
Drew Richardson,

Thank you for your reply. 

As I understand it, what you are saying is that there are people who are afraid of a false positive and this fear in itself therefore causes a false positive. Please let me know if this interpretation is incorrect.

My respone to the above is that this may certainly be the case. However, pardon me for being so callous, these people are statistically in the minority. That is, the majority of people will have a greater response if their is some concrete association with the question. It is true that this is not good enough to be used in court, and it is not. A polygraph exam seems to acheive far greater accuracy than chance. It is even possible to minimize the number of false possitives through statistical analysis and acheive accuracies greater than 80 % for both di and ndi ( you can look this up http://www.dodpi.army.mil/research/95r0001.htm). Actually, the algorithm used to acheive the above accuracy is not optimized and much can be done to improve upon it. Yes there are many who are hurt by this currently insufficient accuracy, however, there are many more who are caught by it and therefore prevented from hurting others and the fact that it can already acheive greater than 80% seems to imply that the theory is sound though it is far from optimization.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2002 at 8:23pm
Inquest wrote on Jul 31st, 2002 at 7:59pm:

Drew Richardson,

Thank you for your reply. 

As I understand it, what you are saying is that there are people who are afraid of a false positive and this fear in itself therefore causes a false positive. Please let me know if this interpretation is incorrect.

My respone to the above is that this may certainly be the case. However, pardon me for being so callous, these people are statistically in the minority. That is, the majority of people will have a greater response if their is some concrete association with the question. It is true that this is not good enough to be used in court, and it is not. A polygraph exam seems to acheive far greater accuracy than chance. It is even possible to minimize the number of false possitives through statistical analysis and acheive accuracies greater than 80 % for both di and ndi ( you can look this up http://www.dodpi.army.mil/research/95r0001.htm). Actually, the algorithm used to acheive the above accuracy is not optimized and much can be done to improve upon it. Yes there are many who are hurt by this currently insufficient accuracy, however, there are many more who are caught by it and therefore prevented from hurting others and the fact that it can already acheive greater than 80% seems to imply that the theory is sound though it is far from optimization.

It should be noted that such claims of accuracy are themselves highly suspect.  As is pointed out in TLBTLD, you have to consider the basis for the claim: if you have 100 subjects, with 99 being innocent and one guilty, you can attain a "99% accuracy rate" by simply declaring all subjects innocent.

You need to be very careful how accuracy claims are determined, as the above statements aren't terribly specific.  If you are innocent or guilty, what are the chances of being correctly categorized by the polygraph?  If the chances are low for either (for a given test group), or vary depending upon the percentage of innocent or guilty subjects in the test group, you have a little problem with the test itself.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the case with the polygraph.  When I get the time, I'll look up the link you have provided.

I would suspect that the majority of people who are "caught" by the polygraph are actually those who are persuaded by the polygrapher's interrogation skills to make voluntary confessions.  Such confessions have nothing to do with the accuracy of the polygraph itself.

Additionally, what is the basis for your claim that "the majority of people will have a greater response if their is some concrete association with the question"?  What do you mean by a "concrete association", and why would you not consider "fear of consequences" to fall into this category?

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2002 at 11:20pm
Inquest,

You write:

Quote:
...As I understand it, what you are saying is that there are people who are afraid of a false positive and this fear in itself therefore causes a false positive. Please let me know if this interpretation is incorrect...

Actually no, this is not quite correct.  Fear of consequences does not imply that an examinee is "afraid of a false positive" but that he/she is concerned about the consequences of a positive result (either true or false).  As I believe I indicated these consequences might range from further investigation, conviction, imprisonment, etc in a criminal matter to denial of employment, embarrassment with friends and family, etc with an administrative matter.

The distinction between what you said above and what fear of consequences actually is has very important ramifications to correcting a second and related misconception you offered:

You said :

Quote:
...However, pardon me for being so callous, these people are statistically in the minority. That is, the majority of people will have a greater response if  [Sic] their  is some concrete association with the question...

If you understand what fear of consequences really is then you will appreciate that consequences are consequences are consequences, i.e., a prison cell is as confining and cold for a wrongly found deceptive and subsequently found guilty (but in fact innocent polygraph examinee) as it is for the guilty polygraph examinee who is subsequently convicted and who has the "association" you speak of with regard to relevant question material.  This association neither augments nor diminishes the severity of the consequence(s) of a deceptive polygraph result nor an examinee's perception of those consequences.   Best,

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2002 at 3:02am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 11:41pm
Drew Richardson,

Thank you for your replies. I see that there is some room for argument here which it seems could only be resolved by psychological research. My own background is in physics and, happily from my point of view, most of the signal processing aspect of polygraph can be easily verified including the statistical accuracy figures.

However, you have certainly made some valid arguments which I believe cannot be easily refutted or verified though, as psychology is not my field, I may be wrong on this point. If there is any literature you could recomend on this point I would be interested.

Inquest

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2002 at 5:33pm
Inquest,

Actually I began my journey with polygraphy from a perspective not too different from the one I perceive you now have.  I began with the notion that a new dependent variable (at the time I was looking at systolic time intervals and impedance cardiography measures), or a data transformation (involved with various time series modifications), or general signal processing, etc would be the Holy Grail for increased diagnostic validity with polygraphy.  The last dozen years or so has largely led me to believe this is not the case.   

The problem with control question test (CQT) polygraphy and in particular its use in a screening context is not with the dependent variable(s) but with the independent variable.  The underlying theory for this particular application (screening) and various formats utilized for this application is so flawed...no tinkering with dependent variables (to include the CNS measures, e.g., P300, etc that I am now looking at) will add to the validity of these techniques.  I do believe that the CNS measures as well as several of the more traditionally used ANS measures will prove useful with concealed information tests though.  Best, 

Drew Richardson

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty (Guest)

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2002 at 8:01pm
Quote:

Inquest,

The problem with control question test (CQT) polygraphy and in particular its use in a screening context is not with the dependent variable(s) but with the independent variable. 

Yes, exactly. In fact, with the CQT test, the better one quantifies responsiveness the worse off a totally honest people is. The GKT (much more accepted in Japan, BTW) conversely, would benefit from a lowered variance. It seems to me that in the current anthrax investigation that GKT tests might be more revealing and accurate yet they likely are falling back to what they are used to, CQT's.

The basic problem is how does the FBI hire anyone? Few would fail to do minimal internet research and if they did, how would they answer the question about telling the truth knowing the examiner expects them to lie to the control questions?   It doesn't take much reading to understand quite intuitively how that test works.

-marty-

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2002 at 6:21am
Drew,

Could you reference the thread from which you quoted the above posts?  I'm sure I have viewed it previously, but I do not recall. I'm sure Inquest and others (myself included) would like to see the postings of Dr. Barland regarding this topic.

I think you make a valid point regarding the source of false positives.  However, I would agree with Inquest, that these are greatly in the minority--especially when the art is applied properly.  

Yes, I believe Polygraph is an art.  Obviously there has to be a scientific basis, but applying it correctly (my job) is an art.  As you may have noted from the thread I began, I am a believer in psychological set.  My job, is to ensure that the control material poses a bigger threat to an innocent individual than the fear of the consequences of my misinterpreting his reponse to relevant issue (as you say many do).  What I must do is make the control material seem relevant to the investigation.  It could be argued that properly applying "psychological set" not only adds power to control material, but could lessen the fear (maybe detract from is more appropriate) of relvant material (in the mind of the person innocent of the relevant issue).  The art of the pre-instrument phase of CQT, does not differ greatly, in my opinion, from other psychological counseling.  The therapist applies his art, using methods for which he has scientific support, in order to manipulate the patient's psychology to the patient's benefit.

I would also agree with your point about the weakness of studies.  It is nearly impossible to duplicate the real world application in the clinical setting.  Likewise, it is difficult to quantify success rates in the real world, because establishing ground truth is very difficult.  Your qote from the previous thread ridiculed (perhaps rightfully so) the methodolgy used in some studies of "mock crime" studies.  The difficulty in these types of studies is getting the examinee to beleive their are consequences to the mock crime.  Often false negatives occur in these settings, because the examinee has absolutely no fear of being punished for assaulting a mannequin, or stealing a fake credit card, within a controlled environment, at the direction of an authority figure.  Yet, he or she may have real fear of the control material, as it covers acts they have committed of their own volition.  Perhaps an effective study could be made where a subject is tricked into doing what he believes is an actual crime.  However this type of study (I have heard of it being attempted to a certain degree) would be difficult to achieve, and would have some moral and ethical implications, as well.  

The difficulty in establishing ground truth in "real world" application, and the difficulty in achieving realism in lab studies, are the reasons that the argument over validity and accuracy of polygraph continue.

Oh, and to end on another note of agreement, I too like the GKT in theory.  And, I would love to see CNS methods added to the investigative tools of law enforcement and intelligence communities.  However, the main weakness of the GKT, regardless of whether it is a CNS or ANS data collection method, is the plethora of information often made public by the media; or to suspects, prior to examination, in attempts to obtain information from the suspect.  For GKT to be possible, the cards have to be held close, prior to the examination. 

Thanks for enduring my ramblings.

--Public Servant

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2002 at 3:29pm
Public Servant,

Thank you for the time you expended on your last post.  You asked about the thread I previously referred to and provided two posts from.  That thread was begun approximately 15 months (on 5/11/2001 by Anonymous) ago and has not yet been substantively responded to by Dr. Barland; it is for that reason that I did not include his preliminary responses.  That thread can be found at http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc&action=display&num=98....

With regard to control question testing and art, I, although nary a producer of art, am an admirer of such and those whose talents and inspiration produce it.  I hope to spend some time this weekend at galleries in Washington D.C. enjoying various examples.  The ability to enjoy that art comes from an ability to witness it and to critique it, if not to share in its production.  

This is where I believe your analogy with polygraphy and control question setting falls apart.  Although you may have the best of intentions in the "art" of setting control questions, neither you nor anyone else can objectively and quantitatively describe what constitutes this process.  Even more problematic is the fact that no one can objectively describe when it has been accomplished or whether it has been accomplished or offer evidence of either.

For a given relevant question/control question comparison that has resulted in a greater relevant than control question response, you can not know whether (1) this is indicative or a deceptive response to a relevant question, (2) an innocent individual reacting to the consequences of the relevant question, or (3) an innocent examinee for whom you did not "set" control questions properly (again, an unspecified activity) or as you had hoped to do.  Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can know by looking at the charts which has occurred, yet this portion of an exam would contribute to an overall deceptive score.  It is this phenomenon which makes control question test polygraphy wishful thinking at best and hucksterism in the hands of the unscrupulous.  I'm sorry that I don't see the connection with the world of art.  The absence of science is not the evidence of art.  Perhaps you might try again to convince me.  Until such time as you can clearly describe what it is you hope to do with your art of control question setting and offer objective evidence that it has been accomplished, I'm afraid I see no basis for recognizing it as such nor as a basis for making important decisions that affect either individuals or society.

Yes, we are in agreement about concealed information tests.  I believe they do have great potential--their results can be statistically defended; they will not be viewed by examinees as offensive as is the case with the control question "setting" process in a CQT exam; they will not invade the purview of judge and jury; and, they can be followed with the same strong interrogations of deemed “to be knowledgeable” individuals as is the case with those deemed to be deceptive individuals following a CQT exam.  You are also correct inasmuch as these tests do require (amongst other things) that  investigators to collect, preserve, and properly protect probe information.  This, of course, should be standard procedure now and clearly a responsibility of every investigator and those entrusted with investigative information.  Regards,

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2002 at 4:10pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2002 at 9:14am
Drew,

Thanks for the reference.  I do recall reading this thread now.  Unfortunately for us, Dr. Barland was unable to contribute further.

Surely, you did not think I was comparing the technique used to the visual or musical arts.  And surely, you know that the term "art" is not restricted to them.  Hence the term, BA and MA attached to degrees in areas unrelated to visual arts, or music.  And, as the spouse of a highly educated and accomplished visual artist, the types of art you speak of are not always produced for others "to witness it and to critique it, if not to share in its production."  It is a creative outlet for self expression, often not needing, or wanting, any outside witness or critique. 

For my broader use of the term, I will use an analogy to something else in which, as an experienced criminal investigator, I have experience.  The crime scene technician,  or investigator working in that capacity, is an artist for the most part, not a scientist.  His training is to locate and preserve evidence from a scene so the scientists can analyze the evidence for anything from latent prints to DNA.  There are guidelines for ensuring objective preservation is met.  But, every scene is different, and it takes a certain amount of creativity to get to this end in differing situations.  This is what makes it an art -- an art that has a goal of achieving the ability of the science to be utilized successfully.  

Your list of possible reasons for the DI result to an exam are likely correct.  However you do not provide a probability that either will occur more frequently than the other.  I would argue that (in criminal specific examination) the probabilities would overwhelmingly favor the first reason your provided -- deception to the relevant question.  You are correct, I do not know for sure from the charts alone which is the reason (I will not insult clairvoyants as you seem to believe I insulted artists).  However, I know that the probability is on the side of deception to relevant issues.   

The overwhelming number of exams I have run (and those run by the other examiners in my agency) have been corroborated by either confession, other investigative evidence, or both.  I am unaware of any scientific quantification of my own exams or those of my peers. I have seen one study where criminal attorneys reviewed cases for evidential merit (absent polygraph results) with comparison made to polygraph result, in attempt to establish ground truth. The results, as I recall, were similar to my lay observations.  Of course you and George (using a quote from Lykken, I believe), say examiners are deluded by success (confessions, corroborating evidence, etc).  The argument is, I believe, that the high rate of success is still only by chance. This argument is rooted in the inability to scientifically quantify success rate (the old what is ground truth thing, again).  To me, you can't argue with success.  And I'll take successful application of justice, stemming both from DI and NDI exams, anyday.  And, if a DI does results from one of the other possibilities you list, then no confession or corroborative evidence would be available to result in any derogatory action.  The exam alone is not admissible (in general in most jurisdictions, and none that I know of, for anything other than exculpation), which makes criminal specific polygraphy a highly effective investigative tool with little risk in the vein that is less than 100% accurate.  

Quote:
hucksterism in the hands of the unscrupulous.   Quote:

I'm glad to see you are not completely generalizing, unless you believe all who apply this technique are unscrupulous.  As in any field, some unscrupulous examiners might exist.  However, I'd say it would be hard for them to survive for long in the government arena.  There might be persons out there who do not necessarily hire out polygraph services, but sell the result the customer requests.  These, I would argue are the only examiners to be characterized as "hucksters."  

As to concealed information exams, there are formats which use photographs.  Do you believe a false positive could result from shock value of a photo (or even a phrase used in a verbal exam)?  Those monitoring CNS, I would assume would be less susceptible, since it's premise is to determine if the person is cerebrally accessing memory when analyzing something they see or here.  The trick to validating this process, it would seem, would to be to prove that all persons' brains act in the same way (as it appears on the monitoring equipment) when accessing memory, as opposed to mere analysis of a given stimulus.  I'd like to hear to your comments on this (and anyone else who has more information to share), as my own knowledge of CNS concealed knowledge research, does not go far beyond the 60 Minutes piece some time back.

Thanks,

Public Servant

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2002 at 6:30pm
Public Servant,

I would agree with you that both crime scenes differ as well as do polygraph examinees/polygraph examinations.  That is where I believe the analogy ends though with CQT examinations (there are considerably greater parallels with concealed information testing).  What a crime scene technician does, whether it be the collecting of DNA evidence or latent fingerprints is very intuitive, is easily documented and verified, and can be so sufficiently described in detail, as to be evaluated in terms of results and compliance with proper procedure.  I do not believe this to be the case with the setting of control question material in a polygraph exam (in spite of the fact that virtually every polygraph school would claim that it teaches its students how to do this).  

The problem with the setting of control questions in a CQT exam is not that it differs for various examinees, but that it largely cannot be described, defined, and defended for any one examinee.  Again, I repeat, what is necessary to convince me is not to suggest that this is art, but to describe for me and others what constitutes the proper setting of a control question with objective standards for allowing a neutral observer to evaluate whether and when this process has been completed for a given examinee.  And speaking of neutral observers, do you believe, for the purpose of an examinee who claims to have been wrongly found deceptive, that he/she and his attorney should be given audio/video tapes (you do record yours, yes?) of his/her pretest to allow for the expert evaluation of whether control questions were properly set (as well as a host of other issues which might be evaluated)? 

I am glad we agree on the possible interpretations for a polygraph result which includes a greater physiological response for a relevant question in a given relevant/control question comparison.  I see no reason though to accept your probability assessment for the likelihood of the various explanations.  I suspect that "the consequences of a deceptive polygraph finding" is what has caused the plethora of false positives testified to on this site with regard to polygraph screening.  I don't even find likely that this outcome has anything in particular to do with polygrapher error (the improper/incomplete setting of control question material, etc), although because this process is not sufficiently well defined it would be hard to disprove this explanation.  And no, I don't believe polygraphers to be universally or even largely disingenuous (let alone unscrupulous), but largely sufficiently lacking in relevant formal education as to be able to adequately evaluate the assumptions and theoretical underpinnings of their practice.

I am now working with Dr. Larry Farwell, who is the examiner/researcher who conducted the exam that was featured on the CBS 60 Minutes piece you referred to.  Both he and I would be happy to provide cites from the peer reviewed literature regarding the many issues you might care to explore regarding P300 evaluations or to discuss the principles of "brain fingerprinting" and its utility for specific issue testing and in narrowly focused screening applications (e.g. which of a group of a thousand detainees might have connections to al Qaeda, etc).  He and I have in recent months spoken to several groups of investigators, chiefs of police, etc. regarding this technology.  We would be happy to do any of the aforementioned for you and your organization as well.  Perhaps you might care to begin with the following article published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Forensic Science and authored by Dr. Larry Farwell and Ms. Sharon Smith (FBI Supervisory Special Agent and Instructor, Behavioral Science Unit, FBI Academy).  The bibliography of this article will provide you with numerous additional literature cites. 

cite:

Farwell, L. A. and Smith, S. S. (2001).  Using Brain MERMER Testing to Detect Concealed Knowledge Despite Efforts to Conceal.  Journal of Forensic Sciences 46,1:1-9.

You can find an on-line preprint version (does not include figures) of this article at

http://www.brainwavescience.com/FBILFSmithAsPubFigs.htm
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2002 at 2:38pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 7:20pm
Drew/Public Servant:

I'd like to throw another factor into the mix besides fear of consequences as a cause for a false positive outcome.  What about "desire to succeed?"

In other words, could it not be the case that in a specific issue criminal exam (or screening), the innocent subject, wanting to get through the procedure (it's inherently stressful and unpleasant, even for the innocent) and be vindicated, somehow focuses on the relevant question(s) as the one(s)where the examiner wants to see the least physiological response?  And knowing that, naturally reacts most strongly there, despite not wanting to do so.  Again, not out of fear of consequences or being disbelieved, but just wanting to pass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 9:46pm
Mark, et al.,

Speaking from direct experience with specific-issue CQT testing, I certainly feel that "fear of consequences" and "desire to succeed" are both very real, not to mention problematic, factors. It's beyond me how the polygraph community simply dismisses the fact that the examinee (even one with no polygraph knowledge) knows full well what the most important question(s) is (are) in the exam, and that this would translate to enhanced anxiety transcending any that might be produced during control questions.

I can directly attest to this, as when the relevant question came up on my poly, I would think "ok, this is the one, the most salient question, here we go". I could even feel myself getting tense when it came up. I sooooo wanted to show/prove that I was being forthright. Yet in the back of my mind I knew full well there's absolutely no way of physically proving the issue. All this totally contributed to my anxiety, and, you know what, it's a completely natural human reaction, manifested I'm sure by multitudes of other polygraph victims.  Of-course, having truthfully answered all control questions certainly didn't help.

False +

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 10:19pm
False +,

Thanks for your response.  Your experience very much echoes mine, including the post-test.

If I had more time when I wrote the last post, I would have added that this is the way I felt, that I wanted to pass, and focused on the relevant questions as the ones that were the most important to pass.

Public Servant, 

From my own personal experience, that of False +, and it seems to me, common sense, the CQT format seems to suffer from an excess of arrogance in presupposing that the polygrapher can get the innocent subject to be more concerned about the control question than the relevant question.  I'm sure it happens, but people have myriad conscious and subconscious reasons for thinking a certain way, and if a relevant question strikes a subject as the critical question on the test, then the polygrapher can talk all day long, and may not be able to convince the subject, at the cellular level, to be more concerned about the comparison question.

As I think you'll agree, convincing a person to change their mind is a considerable challenge.  The CQT again seems to suffer from not being able to really know if a subject is more concerned about the relevant than the comparison because of fear of consequences/desire to succeed/other reason.  It just assumes that the polygrapher will do the job in convincing the innocent subject to be more concerned about the relevant question, and that's that.  There is no attempt to verify that this succeeded, or take account if it did not succeed.

As False + mentioned, attributing a higher response to the relevant question to some reason other than deception never even gets considered.

And finally, at least with the FBI, I always wondered why if they say the polygraph is 98% accurate, they never produce examples of the 2%, and certainly refused to consider that I (or others on this site) might fall into that 2%. The investigation proceeded as if the polygraph were 100% accurate.

IP Logged

Back to the Basics

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X