Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Back to the Basics (Read 35871 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Back to the Basics
Reply #30 - Aug 15th, 2002 at 7:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
PDD-Fed,

Thank you for clarifying the point that "inconclusive" is not a final call on a federal polygraph examination.

If the percentages you cite are accurate, I would agree that you seem to have a pretty high true positive rate (as a percentage of total DI outcomes). The base rate for deception amongst the population group you have polygraphed also seems pretty high. (It would be interesting to see what level of admissions to disqualifying conduct would be obtained from NDI subjects by administering "post-test" interrogations to them.)

A point to bear in mind, however, is that because the CQT lacks both standardization and control, absent an admission, you cannot know with any statistically quantifiable degree of confidence that any particular subject you call deceptive was actually deceptive (or that any particular subject you call non-deceptive was in fact non-deceptive).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2002 at 7:35pm

Quote:

PDD-Fed,

...you cannot know with any statistically quantifiable degree of confidence that any particular subject you call deceptive was actually deceptive (or that any particular subject you call non-deceptive was in fact non-deceptive).

George,

I agree on one of your points and disagree on another.  As far as DI outcomes, I believe that based on the high percentage of post-test admissions, I can put a high level of confidence on the validity of the DI cases.  However, I must admit that since the true base rate of NDI subjects in screening cases is not known, it is entirely possible that some false negative (FN)  subjects are getting by.  

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #32 - Aug 15th, 2002 at 9:42pm
PDD-Fed,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
I agree on one of your points and disagree on another.  As far as DI outcomes, I believe that based on the high percentage of post-test admissions, I can put a high level of confidence on the validity of the DI cases.

Precisely what level of confidence (as a percentage) can you put on the validity of any particular one of your DI cases (absent any admission on the subject's part)? And how did you calculate that confidence level?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2002 at 10:29pm
George,

You asked...

Quote:

Precisely what level of confidence (as a percentage) can you put on the validity of any particular one of your DI cases (absent any admission on the subject's part)? And how did you calculate that confidence level?

Gee George, I don't know.  I have never calculated that.  I just know that the vast majority of the time I run a DI test, the subject confesses to the specific area he/she was DI to.  I then send him/her on their way and test the next person.  I decided long ago to leave the calculations to you "scientific" types... 8)

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2002 at 10:54pm
Quote:

Gee George, I don't know.  I have never calculated that.  I just know that the vast majority of the time I run a DI test, the subject confesses to the specific area he/she was DI to.  I then send him/her on their way and test the next person.  I decided long ago to leave the calculations to you "scientific" types... 8)

PDD-Fed

PDD-Fed,

That's a copout. You said you disagreed with my assertion that, absent an admission on the subject's part, "you cannot know with any statistically quantifiable degree of confidence that any particular subject you call deceptive was actually deceptive..."

But now you say you've never calculated such a probability. Instead, since, as you say, "the vast majority of the time [you] run a DI test, the subject confesses to the specific area he/she was DI to," then those who don't confess must similarly be deceptive. But there is no logical basis for this belief. How do you know, for example, that such persons were not simply truthful persons more worried about the consequences of not being believed with regard to the relevant questions than they were with regard to the "control" questions? The truth of the matter is that in any particular DI examination where no confession is obtained, you have no way of knowing whether such is the case. This is but one manifestation of the lack of scientific control that besets CQT polygraphy.

On a final note, you described me (rather flippantly, it seems) as a "'scientific' type." For the record, I'm not a scientist. My formal education in science and math does not extend beyond freshman inorganic chemistry and calculus. I do, however, try to think critically.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #35 - Aug 16th, 2002 at 2:45am
Public Servant,

(area #5 (final)):

You write:

Quote:
…Finally, I commend you for making public your finacial interest in the development of a possible replacement to present polygraph (on another thread).  While I do not question the sincerety of your assertions against the use of CQT polygraphy, you obviously could benefit from it being discredited, since you are involved in the development of an alternative.   

However, I did suggest constructive pursuits of alternatives to the purveyors and contributors of this site.  I am still appalled at the attempts to help anyone circumvent justice and/or security measures via countermeasures.  But, at least one person from the anti side on this site supports the development of better technology to aid in the pursuit of national defense and justice.  But then, why must it be accompanied with attempts to undermine exisiting technology and techniques aimed at the same goals? …

Yes, as you report, I did previously generally disclose my financial relationship with Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, Inc (BFLI).  Specifically, I am an employee and a minor stockholder.  I did this, not because of any conflict I might have in regard to my critical commentary of various aspects of polygraphy (particularly polygraph screening), but because as a spokesperson for BFLI, I want those who might read my thoughts regarding brain fingerprinting (e.g., posts #1 -#4) to evaluate this information knowledgeably and critically, fully aware of any potential conflict of interest I might have as a result of my present professional association.  Although I had several opportunities for differing types of employment following my Bureau career, I chose to do what I am now doing in part because I believe very strongly in the technology and services we are and will provide and also because I believe that as I criticize, I have a responsibility to help develop and offer what I believe to be a positive and valid alternative approach to some of the problems facing us.

With regard to my criticism of various aspects of polygraphy in light of my connection to an alternative technology, I feel not only justified but also compelled to continue these criticisms and related activities.  My rationale is as follows:  

1.      My criticisms predate (and have been consistently made) my financial interest in an alternative technology by  approximately a decade.

2.       My severest criticisms on this site and elsewhere have been reserved for general polygraph screening.  This is an application that brain fingerprinting is not designed for nor will be used for, in concert with or as a replacement for current polygraph procedures.

3.      It could well be argued that criticizing polygraph techniques is neither in either my personal nor BFLI’s direct financial interest.  The large government agencies that have polygraph screening programs might well be less inclined to support brain fingerprinting research and operational practice as a result of my critical commentary of  their existing practices and  programs.  AND

4.      The PRINCIPAL REASON  that I have publicly and loudly voiced these criticisms is that I am completely convinced that the nation’s security is compromised through present polygraph screening practices and that thousands of individuals have been victimized in the wake of these programs over the decade I have voiced these concerns. I believe my views are fairly adequately summarized in a post I recently made in another thread:

Quote:
… It is not any given anecdotal story that has convinced me and led me to arrive at the conclusions and positions (regarding polygraph screening) that I have shared on this message board and elsewhere.  It is the overwhelming impression obtained through several hundred personal contacts from polygraph examinees (or friends, relatives, co-workers, or attorneys representing them) over the last ten years who have universally alleged that they were wrongly found to be deceptive in a polygraph screening examination.  Further credence is given this group testimony inasmuch as many of these people are willing to tell their story publicly (in the media, before Congress, in a court proceeding accompanied by cross examination).  Furthermore many of these people have sought background investigations (which they were denied) to demonstrate the absence of any evidence of wrong doing in those areas for which they were found to be deceptive.  Additionally, as George pointed out in a recent reply, this examination procedure has no support whatsoever in the scientific community and is completely bankrupt in terms of any theoretical underpinnings and basis for practice…

Regards,

Drew Richardson

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2002 at 4:14am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2002 at 5:12am
Drew,

Thanks for your responses.  I may post further regarding some of the specific issues from my previous post, strictly for discussion and possibly for obtaining further insight.  I have a sincere interest in any technology that could improve our ability to identify criminal perpetrators and eliminate innocent suspects.   

Quote:
I believe that as I criticize, I have a responsibility to help develop and offer what I believe to be a positive and valid alternative approach to some of the problems facing us. Quote:

This was precisely one of the the points I was trying to make in my very first post to this site and I again commend you for this.  Instead of trying to undermine existing techniques and technologies, do something to improve or replace them.  I know not all contributors to this site have your scientific background, but why can't they support changes and call for new technology/techniques, instead of providing information they believe could help criminals and spies as easily as innocents looking to avoid the possibility of false positive?  More proactive constructive work like this could better suit the cause of this site than providing advice to anyone (not knowing which category of guilt/innocence in which they fall, and without informing them that it could bring more suspicion upon them) to attempt countermeasures. 

To clarify the last point you addressed, I did not mean to insinuate your participation here was based upon assisting your present business.  I believe your assertions about polygraph (though we often disagree), are sincere.  That entire last post was simply a listing of all topics that came to mind after reading about brain fingerprinting.

Thanks again,

Public Servant

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #37 - Aug 16th, 2002 at 6:16am

Public Servant wrote on Aug 16th, 2002 at 5:12am:

Drew,

Thanks for your responses.  I may post further regarding some of the specific issues from my previous post, strictly for discussion and possibly for obtaining further insight.  I have a sincere interest in any technology that could improve our ability to identify criminal perpetrators and eliminate innocent suspects.   

I believe that as I criticize, I have a responsibility to help develop and offer what I believe to be a positive and valid alternative approach to some of the problems facing us.

This was precisely one of the the points I was trying to make in my very first post to this site and I again commend you for this.  Instead of trying to undermine existing techniques and technologies, do something to improve or replace them.  I know not all contributors to this site have your scientific background, but why can't they support changes and call for new technology/techniques, instead of providing information they believe could help criminals and spies as easily as innocents looking to avoid the possibility of false positive?  More proactive constructive work like this could better suit the cause of this site than providing advice to anyone (not knowing which category of guilt/innocence in which they fall, and without informing them that it could bring more suspicion upon them) to attempt countermeasures. 

P.S.,
To my mind, the two are not mutually exclusive.  One may certainly promote forms of recognition testing (useful in conjuction with decent police work, and with built-in protections for the innocent) while, at the same time, acknowledging the glaring, dangerous and harmful flaws with current polygraph screening practices--and trying to ameliorate them.

Basically, it all comes down to protecting our society through due process and scientifically valid testing.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #38 - Aug 16th, 2002 at 3:37pm
Public Servant,

Skeptic is quite correct.  One cannot meaningfully promote good/valid while ignoring bad/invalid.  It is impossible to successfully cultivate a garden in the midst of weeds, and likewise, it is impossible to restore health in the midst of festering pathology.  As I have said before, and no doubt will say again, the polygraph community must remove the cancer of polygraph screening from its midst before it can restore public trust and confidence and reap any benefits from technological/scientific advances in the realm of specific-issue polygraph testing.  Any promotion of scientific and technological change in the midst of such, is little more than scientific window dressing and glitz, a cover for the unseemly, and largely doomed to failure.

Unbeknown to most in this community, Dr. Bill Yankee in the early 1990's (certainly to the horror of those in the polygraph community now hearing such a thing for the first time) discussed with me the notion of recommending me as his successor as Director at DoDPI.  Bill realized many of the same problems with polygraphy as I do (although he was not in a position to publicly discuss these issues), but encouraged my patience as he had exercised his.  Needless to say, although remaining friends, and even later publicly debating differences through mutual respect, the aforementioned scenario did not and could not take place.  Although I had the greatest of respect for Bill and do now wish several of his efforts had proceeded more fully beyond his tenure, I could only tell him then what I would tell you now...my patience with these shortcomings is largely someone else's victimization.  I am afraid that is not something I can offer...

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #39 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 4:16am
Drew and Skeptic,

I believe I was unclear in my last post.  I meant to commend Drew for his constructive pursuits in improving/ replacing existing investigative technology and techniques.  While I disagree with much of his criticism of the polygraph and feel the advocation of countermeasures is ethically flawed, I was commending him for actually doing something constructive.  My main criticism from the last post was directed not at Drew, but at those who seek to undermine existing technology and techniques, yet offer no suport or effort to improving available technology so it meets the needs of law enforcement and national security while further reducing the chances of false positives.

Drew, you have suggested in previous posts that, as a specific issue examiner, I should join you in calliing for the end to screening exams.  First of all, I am in no position to do so --far less so than Dr. Yankee was.  Secondly, my experience as a specific issue examiner tells me the exam is very effective (though I have acquiesed that as the issues get broader, more problems could arise).  Lastly, as I see it, you have not offered any alternative to the screening exam, as either investigative tool or deterrent.

Since I like to bring up ideas to evoke thoughtful discussion, here's a hypothetical to which I would love to hear Drew's response:  If Dr. Yankee's suggestion that you succeed him had come into fruition, what do you envision the path taken by DoDPI, and federal polygraph policy as whole, would have been?

Regards,

Public Servant

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #40 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 8:51am
Public Servant,

You wrote:

Quote:
My main criticism from the last post was directed not at Drew, but at those who seek to undermine existing technology and techniques, yet offer no suport or effort to improving available technology so it meets the needs of law enforcement and national security while further reducing the chances of false positives.

This is of course the ideal.  However, when we admonish someone to quit smoking, we know that if they listen, their health will improve.  We don't have to offer any alternatives to replace smoking.  Same, I submit, with polygraph screening.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 5:18pm
Public Servant,

You pose an interesting question whose answer allows for some important distinctions.  You ask me to speculate if I were (had been) Director of DoDPI what path(s) would I envision DoDPI and the federal polygraph community might have taken.  You couch your question in a brief anecdotal story I mentioned involving Dr. Bill Yankee.  Let me answer by beginning with another featuring another well known former DoDPI employee (former Chief of Research) and occasional contributor to this message board, Dr. Gordon Barland.

The first time I met Gordon was in the mid 1980s at what I believe was then called an Advanced Polygraph Seminar.  This was a month long school, then hosted by the FBI and held at the University of Virginia at its main campus in Charlottesville, Virginia.  During that month, Gordon taught a weeklong block of instruction of psychophysiology to mid-career federal polygraph examiners.  I attended his presentation and amongst other things recall a portion of Gordon's final comments to the class.  After having been  highly complemented by one of the students regarding his teaching and subject matter knowledge, Gordon, with the rather appealing dry sense of humor and self deprecating wit that I would see many times in subsequent years, indicated that "In the valley of the blind the one-eyed man is king."  At the time I merely thought his comment to be a rather clever quick-witted response and an appropriately modest one.  Only sometime later would I consider the comment a bit more figuratively.  The valley of the blind has in years gone by come to represent to me the lack of education within one of Gordon's main valleys, the world of polygraphy.

And now back to your question.  Although I suspect you would have expected me to answer focusing on the abolishment of polygraph screening and the considerably greater use of information-based formats with specific-issue testing (clearly things I would not object to Smiley ), I think I would have been more than happy to have seen the groundwork laid for the badly needed enhancement of basic scientific education for polygraph examiners.  That enhancement would not and could not have come solely or even largely through DoDPI resources (personnel and facilities), but through the very simple but sorely needed changes in the matriculation requirements for the basic examiner course.  Because I have discussed this topic at length within other posts and specifically with regard to what I believe is necessary, I won't restate the particulars.  That particular change though, I believe, is foundational to all other meaningful change(s) that might occur and any new paths that might be undertaken.

And this leads us to one final related topic.  Perhaps I can do a favor for those at DoDPI who might not expect one and who, for obvious political considerations, are unable to openly address the issue themselves.  When I last had association with DoDPI, its Director, Dr. Bill Yankee had no less desire to see these basic educational changes than I did or do now.  The problem in attaining these goals was in no way Bill Yankee’s lack of desire or with DoDPI’s personnel (instructional staff), but that DoDPI was not sufficiently the master of its own fate.  The federal polygraph community, acting through its various program heads, both in terms of this community's formal review of DoDPI's curriculum and through the educational background of the student's sent by its  individual agencies for basic training, all but undermined any effort to make serious educational enhancements.  Although Dr. Yankee had hoped curriculum review would be performed by those with the background for such review (i.e., the celebrated academic review panel he assembled), that never really came to fruition, and as far as I know, has completely gone by the wayside in subsequent years.  That led to (from my perspective) a very untenable and unworkable situation largely blocking any real progress and almost guaranteeing maintenance of the status quo for another generation of polygraph examiners.  I don’t pretend to know if that interaction (DoDPI Director/Staff and the operational program heads of the federal agency polygraph programs) remains, but until it changes and the tail is no longer wagging the dog in the world of polygraph academics, little would have or will change.  The awarding of unearned degrees and even the real enhancement of DoDPI staff credentials will not suffice for  and eliminate the need for the aforementioned change in professional entry level requirements for polygraph examiners.

In fairness to the heads of the federal polygraph programs, I should acknowledge that they are (in part) absolutely no more able to determine the background of employees they send to DoDPI for basic examiner training than is DoDPI able to determine whom they receive.  This of course is due to the overall hiring practices of the federal agencies themselves.  I would suggest two possible alternatives to remedy this ongoing problem.   

When I was hired by the FBI as a Special Agent, it was within the scope of what was then referred to as the "Science Program."  I was hired with the notion that I would eventually work, following an initial field investigative assignment, as a forensic chemist and agent examiner in the FBI Laboratory.  As the Bureau would not consider having someone representing it as a forensic chemist who did not have a background in chemistry, I suggest that likewise any agency/bureau that has individuals acting as "forensic psychophysiologists" not do so without requisite background in psychophysiology (and that a program be created in order to fulfill this specialty hiring need).  In order to handle the immediate lack of (what I consider to be) well qualified candidates for basic polygraph examiner training, I would suggest that DoDPI require remedial training/education (what would amount to at least a full load semester of basic psychology, physiology, statistics, research design) that would be both rigorously taught and whose successful completion be requisite for matriculation into basic examiner training.  DoDPI could likely be staffed to teach such a program itself or to evaluate certification from recognized major universities with psychology, physiology, and statistics departments that might be contracted to offer such remedial education.

And finally to answer your question…  Although I don’t feel myself to be lacking in either vision or clearly defined goals, because of the structure that existed at the time, I would surmise very little would have changed due to any involvement I might have had.  In other words, I don’t believe the Director of DoDPI had the needed authority that should properly accompany the serious responsibilities that he is tasked with.  I hope this situation has or will be remedied and that someone of Dr. Yankee’s capabilities and vision will ultimately occupy the position.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2002 at 6:55pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #42 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 4:19pm
Drew,

Thanks for humoring me by responding to my hypothetical question.  As I understand it, the bottom line is that you believe the bureaucracy has blocked progress and you are not sure that you could have overcome that for any meaningful change.  I'm at least glad to see that you would not have immediately initiated sweeping elimnations of whole programs upon which national security programs have relied.  Perhaps you would have advocated close research to find the most effective formats for screening (and specific issue for that matter), develop new methodologies, and maybe adjust the application and role upon exams in the screening arena.  Contrary to what is often stated on this site and message board, those processes have occurred and are ongoing at DoDPI.  And, of course, you and the purveyors of this site have provided a mission for DoDPI researchers detracting from the aforementioned -- determining the effectiveness of counter-measures, how to identify them, and developing counter-countermeasures.  (With all that on their plate who has time to answer silly challenges from this web site. Smiley)

I've read the thread placed (inappropriately I would say) under non-poly forums - military.  First of all the term forensic psychophysiologist was kicked around a few years ago, but was shot down because, for the most part, polygraphers do not hold doctorates (as anything -ologist implies).  However, Forensic Psychophysiological Detection of Deception, though absurdly cumbersome, is accurate.  It is obviously forensic (since it is for the purpose of resolving an investigation), and the instrument monitors physiology to diagnose psychological set as it pertains to whether a person is truthful to a relevant issue.  Of course, I'll stick with polygraph examiner/examination.

If you re-examined the DoDPI curriculum, I believe you would see the psychology and physiology (and basic scientific research) are quite demanding and taught at the 500 level.  The washout rate during this period is quite high (considering the money spent by agencies to send people here). The "art" portions (please excuse my use of this term again) are also quite demanding and many who excelled in the science portions wash out here, because they lack the interpersonal skills to perform effective pre- and post-exam tasks.

I think your scientific background lends some bias to your opinions regarding what academic background an examiner in the field needs.  He is a technician (is that better than artist?).  He needs a sound understanding of the scientific basis of the exam and an expertise at the art (there I go again) that makes it effective.  But,why must he need to know how to set up good research and statistically analyze it if he is not doing research.  The PhD's provide that service and give the guidelines for the technician to follow in order to apply the most effective exams in the most effective way.  Like the radiology tech who does just fine (often with a two year degree), taking X-rays without the radiologist (MD) being present.  I would agree however, that researchers, DoDPI instructors, and perhaps agency supervisors, need advanced education in this field (and today most do).

And why should it be required that an applicant to DoDPI has an extensive scientific background.  The BS/BA is required.  The standards are set and if a student can not maintain those standards they are dropped from the course.  You could raise the standards and raise the bar on the amount of material to learn while in the course.  But like many reputable graduate programs, prior specialization in the field as an undergraduate is not required.  The person without the relevant undergraduate training will just have to work harder to attain the required level of knowledge in the field.

And lastly, I would argue that it would be more dangerous to have a scientist with no experience in investigations, run exams.  While he might better understand what processes are at work internally, he may not have the interpersonal skills necessary to ensure the examination works or amounts to anything useful (that art thing again).  To me it takes a good cop, with good interview skills, and above average intelligence (with good comprehension of the basic psychology/physiology involved) to run an effective exam.  But it does not take a PhD, MD, JD, PsyD, or even a psychophysiologist.  And as you know a scientist does not necessarily make a good cop, examiner, or supervisory special agent.

Which brings me to another question...  (Do not construe this as a personal attack, as I think I have made it clear that I do not question your credentials or abilities.)  How does a person with a chemistry background end up in the polygraph field?  Why did the FBI hire you as a scientist, but place you in the field as a special agent first?  Few labs require you to be an agent before you work as a forensic chemist.  What type of work did you do with the bureau before going into the lab and poly?  I ask, because it would seem odd to me to send you to work as an examiner if you had little experience (or success) with suspect/subject interviews.  And, I have seen persons who are not good interviewers, question the validity of the exam because they are not successful at validating their results with admissions/confessions.  I'm not saying that is the case with you.  I don't even know how many, what type, or what results came of, the exams you ran.  I'm also not saying its bad for a good investigator to not be a highly skilled in interview techniques.  Each agent brings his or her own talents to the table. Most who become examiners and question the test for the mentioned reason, do so because they were so good at investigation as a whole and could not understand any shortcomings in successful interviewing at this level (the DI ones are the ones that lied to other cops).   

Again just a few thoughts that came up in reading your post.   
Thanks once again for enduring my long-windedness.

Public Servant

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #43 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 5:30pm
Public Servant,

As always, thank you for your latest reply.  Needless to say, my response to your treatise would be likewise lengthy, so I will try to break down that response by subject and largely in the order in which you presented various issues.

Quote:
...I'm at least glad to see that you would not have immediately initiated sweeping elimnations of whole programs upon which national security programs have relied.  Perhaps you would have advocated close research to find the most effective formats for screening (and specific issue for that matter), develop new methodologies, and maybe adjust the application and role upon exams in the screening arena...

If I have in any way suggested to you that I would support the continuation of general polygraph (applicant and employee) screening examinations under the guise of "research is ongoing", I have been more unclear and arcane than I previously thought possible.  Under no circumstances would I suggest citizens continue to be victimized while DoDPI (or anyone else) plays in a laboratory with these fishing expeditions.  These tests are completely without any theoretical support and should be immediately  stopped.  Once this has been done, a serious debate should take place as to what is in the interest of national security (not the same as in the interest of national security programs).  

Should further research be merited (very doubtful at this point) dealing with a process which completely lacks (and holds no particular promise for) any theoretical basis as a diagnostic tool, that research should likely be done by a group other than DoDPI (an entity which has way too heavily depended upon the existence and continuation of polygraph screening over the years to be considered sufficiently non-biased to lead such research).  Any research performed should be considered ONLY after having been published in a peer-reviewed journal. Again, first things first though...Present polygraph screening programs should immediately be stopped.  If I accomplish nothing else through this exchange, I hope that I have eliminated any confusion I might have created with regard to my position on this last point...

Regards,

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2002 at 8:16pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #44 - Aug 22nd, 2002 at 4:06pm
Public Servant,

You write:

Quote:
...Contrary to what is often stated on this site and message board, those processes have occurred and are ongoing at DoDPI.  And, of course, you and the purveyors of this site have provided a mission for DoDPI researchers detracting from the aforementioned -- determining the effectiveness of counter-measures, how to identify them, and developing counter-countermeasures.  (With all that on their plate who has time to answer silly challenges from this web site. )...

You indicate some familiarity with and/or connection to DoDPI's polygraph research.  Perhaps the taxpayers who support this research might benefit from this connection.  Might you see if you can provide a list of all the research that has been published in the peer-reviewed psychophysiological literature by that group since say 1995 and the research budgets for these years.  As George pointed out in a recent post, I don't believe citing the public literature should compromise national security, but should give us some idea as to the parent scientific body's (psychophysiology) acceptance of such research.  I suspect that this list will not support any notions of general acceptability in the main nor, and most particularly, with regard to any validity whatsoever associated with polygraph screening.  

With regard to challenges, the only one I'm aware that I have issued was/is not to DoDPI's research community (though we are glad to hear that we have provided some meaning and significance to their corporate lives through our humble efforts Smiley ) but to the world of operational polygraphy to demonstrate it's oft stated ability to detect countermeasures.  I offered the challenge because I believe the claims to be little more than empty disinformation.   I believe this research will likely demonstrate the "between a rock and a hard place" position a polygraph examiner will find himself when guessing in the midst of two possible sources of error that might occur with NDI charts...a false negative regarding test issues and a false positive regarding any allegations of examinee countermeasure use.  As I have said before, I believe it will be very useful for both the NAS panel members and others to see this.  If DoDPI's research community has offered you some useful tools, I suggest there is no time like the present to demonstrate such and to prove me wrong.   In addition to the NAS participation /simulated crime scenario that I previously suggested, I'd be happy to offer some ideas for field testing of your tools as well.  

As I have indicated directly and indirectly through my challenge, I don't believe for a minute that viable polygraph counter-countermeasures exist.  But for the sake of further conversation, let's briefly assume they do and as a result of the busy beaver work you suggest we have caused at DoDPI.  In the super super secret squirel world of polygraph counter-countermeasures, clearly this information would be classified at the highest levels and the federal polygraph community would be unable to share these state secrets with its colleagues in state, local, and international governments.  But strangely enough, they too all claim to be able to detect countermeasures.  Does this mean that they are bluffing, that a leak/espionage investigation should be launched, or that the federal polygraph community and DoDPI is wasting untold resources doing what the resource-poor state and local entities have come up with on their own???  Hmmmm.....  Smiley  Best Regards,

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2002 at 2:07am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Back to the Basics

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X