Normal Topic laws on countermeasures? (Read 4130 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box star2be00
New User

laws on countermeasures?
Jul 22nd, 2002 at 8:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Is there a law against using countermeasures during a  polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: laws on countermeasures?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 9:31pm
Star2be00,

No, there are no laws regarding the use or prohibiting the use of countermeasures.  Any such law would be unenforceable; polygraphers cannot reliably and demonstrably discern when a countermeasure(s) has been utilized (see my related challenge on the home page).   Furthermore polygraphers would not welcome such a law.  During a theoretical prosecution for such, a defendant would either deny the charge (again not proveable in the absence of an admission) or indicate (assuming a foolish admission had been made) that he was merely protecting himself from the error of polygraphy, thereby forcing CQT polygraphers and prosecutors to confront the quagmire of their own folly...  Additionally, polygraphers would not welcome the "opportunity" to routinely testify to their examination results and countermeasure determinations.  If Polycop is correct in suggesting that polygraphers would suffer the same consequences as forensic scientists do regarding demonstrated error contained in their sworn/judicial testimony, we would witness a large and continual turn over in those conducting CQT polygraph examinations.

In the absence of related law, we are left with logic.  I believe that logic leads to different conclusions for innocent and guilty examinees confronted with decisions regarding taking CQT polygraph examinations and utilizing countermeasures.  If I were an innocent suspect, I would refuse to take a CQT polygraph exam based on its inherent error.  If somehow compelled to take that exam, I would utilize countermeasures to ensure that the correct (no deception indicated (NDI)) result was obtained.  If I were guilty, but not a suspect, just part of a large group of people being screened for involvement, I would do exactly as I have recommended for an innocent examinee.  If I were a guilty suspect, I would immediately (without displaying so much enthusiasm as to raise any additional suspicion) agree to take a polygraph exam and employ countermeasures (It is true that the error associated with CQT polygraphy might lead to the desired NDI result (a false negative result for a guilty examinee), but I would not want to leave this to chance).  This would be my best hope of diffusing the suspicion that had already been cast on me and might well lessen the investigative efforts which might reveal or confirm my guilt.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2002 at 10:50pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box star2be00
New User

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the info Mr. Richardson, I will be returning to my home state: California , in October and I will be applying to many police and sheriff departments throughout the state and I will be posting any relevant info about my experience with the polygraph , if I get that far  Shocked   and I will be using the countermeasures described in the book and see how it all turns out.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2002 at 9:33pm
Quote:
Is there a law against using countermeasures during a  polygraph?

Besides the astute points Drew mentioned, I don't think there can ever be a law prohibiting someone from contracting a muscle.  Enforcement would be a farce.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2002 at 2:10am
Yes, we could all be citizen freedom fighters and loosen our bowels in the polygrapher's chairs.  Shocked

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

laws on countermeasures?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X