Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need HELP with identifying control!!!! (Read 34375 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alwazracin
New User

Need HELP with identifying control!!!!
Jul 18th, 2002 at 11:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just took a poly recently that was quite different then what I expected. The polygrapher and I chatted for a bit about the area we are both from and the politics of the small city. We both seem to agree on quite a few things and we got along quite well. After that, he went over the questionaire which had approx. 6 parts(sex, work history, crime, phq, drugs, and credit). He then attached all the instruments to me and began the questions(7 total questions) which were quite simple. The first question was "Is your last name XXX?". The other six questions were "Did you lie in section 1(sex)?" and so on until the last question. After that he told me I was done and said I did very well and that was it. Is the first question where he asked me for my last name the control question? What do you make of this test? Thanks guys.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alwazracin
New User

Clarify my post....
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2002 at 11:44am
The six other questions were about whether or not I lied on each of the six part questionnaire which I replied "No". Just wanted to clarify that part. Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Need HELP with identifying control!!!!
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2002 at 8:18pm
It seems that your polygrapher administered a "peak of tension" test. In this technique, reactions to the various relevant questions are compared against each other. Had your polygrapher judged that you responded strongly to one or more of the relevant questions, he might have interrogated you regarding the corresponding part(s) of your pre-polygraph questionnaire. The peak of tension test is briefly described in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Stealth
New User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2002 at 10:10am
It would seem that this type of test would be preferable for polygraphers, because countermeasures like those in TLBTLD would not be effective due to the lack of control questions.  Or are there indeed countermeasures for this type of test?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2002 at 10:39am
A countermeasure approach for the peak of tension test is to produce a reaction to one or two different questions during each chart collection, so that no one question consistently stands out.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2002 at 9:37am
Yes, but wouldn't the polygrapher interpret two or three contrived reactions to mean deception for the respective questions?  That would be the most logical conclusion, in my opinion.

Unless I'm overlooking something, attempting countermeasures for this type of test would be shooting yourself in the foot, since each question is a "relevant" question, so to speak.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2002 at 4:19pm
Stealth,

You raise a very good point. The approach of creating responses to one or two different relevant questions during each chart collection would only have some advantage if the polygrapher were using an objective scoring standard.

It is quite possible (and perhaps likely) that alwazracin's polygrapher was using the so-called "clinical" approach to polygraphy. This approach was described by Anonymous in the message thread Ways to Counter the Relevant/Irrelevant Technique? as "a polygrapher's euphemism for arriving at any conclusions/opinions that he cares to see/render based on any or no considerations he chooses to employ."

If the polygrapher is using this "clinical" method, then producing any reaction to any relevant question would likely be, as you put it, "shooting yourself in the foot."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2002 at 10:49pm
Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious, but it seems to me that a polygrapher would detect a "lie" by comparing a strong physiological reaction on one question to a series of weak reactions on the rest of the questions.  For example, if the following five questions were asked:

#1 - Did you lie in describing your prior employment?
#2 - Did you lie in describing your prior drug use?
#3 - Did you lie about any thefts?
#4 - Did you lie about any serious crimes you may have committed?
#5 - Did you lie about violating anyone's civil rights while in your custody?

And a subject had been truthful with all information except his prior drug use, it would stand to reason that his response to question two would stand out on the chart ("peak of tension") compared to the rest of the questions.  Therefore the "control" is the baseline established by the other four questions.  And it would be expected that regardless of how many times these questions were asked of the subject, the results would likely be the same.

Now if a subject is asked this series of questions two times, your suggested countermeasures include producing a deceptive response (i.e. using countermeasures, "puckering", etc.) to one or two other questions.  Lets say round one went like this:

#1 - no countermeasure
#2 - lie
#3 - countermeasure
#4 - no countermeasure
#5 - countermeasure

and round two went like this:

#1 - countermeasure
#2 - lie
#3 - countermeasure
#4 - no countermeasure
#5 - no countermeasure

Then couldn't a polygrapher say that the subject was deceptive on all questions except question 4?  Certainly deception would be easy to discern with regards to the drug use question (question #2).  Using countermeasures as you've described for this "peak-of-tension" test really just relies on trying to confuse the examiner (by producing false-positives), but if it's really that subjective, couldn't he say that the subject showed deception on all but one question, and that he consistently showed deception about drug use?

I've never taken a polygraph, but I will be taking one soon.  I really don't have anything to hide, so I haven't decided whether or not I'll use countermeasures.  I have confidence the use of countermeasures in the control-relevant examination.  But I am unconvinced that countermeasures can be reliably used in the peak-of-tension test.  I don't trust polygraphy 100% either, but I don't see why polygraphers don't use the peak-of-tension test to combat countermeasures more than they do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2002 at 11:41pm
Stealth wrote on Aug 18th, 2002 at 10:49pm:

Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious, but it seems to me that a polygrapher would detect a "lie" by comparing a strong physiological reaction on one question to a series of weak reactions on the rest of the questions.  For example, if the following five questions were asked:

#1 - Did you lie in describing your prior employment?
#2 - Did you lie in describing your prior drug use?
#3 - Did you lie about any thefts?
#4 - Did you lie about any serious crimes you may have committed?
#5 - Did you lie about violating anyone's civil rights while in your custody?

And a subject had been truthful with all information except his prior drug use, it would stand to reason that his response to question two would stand out on the chart ("peak of tension") compared to the rest of the questions.  Therefore the "control" is the baseline established by the other four questions.  And it would be expected that regardless of how many times these questions were asked of the subject, the results would likely be the same.

Your inference that lack of truthfulness on question two will produce a consistently greater response than on the others is speculative.  It might, and then again, it might not.

Quote:

Now if a subject is asked this series of questions two times, your suggested countermeasures include producing a deceptive response (i.e. using countermeasures, "puckering", etc.) to one or two other questions.  Lets say round one went like this:

#1 - no countermeasure
#2 - lie
#3 - countermeasure
#4 - no countermeasure
#5 - countermeasure

and round two went like this:

#1 - countermeasure
#2 - lie
#3 - countermeasure
#4 - no countermeasure
#5 - no countermeasure

Then couldn't a polygrapher say that the subject was deceptive on all questions except question 4?  Certainly deception would be easy to discern with regards to the drug use question (question #2).  Using countermeasures as you've described for this "peak-of-tension" test really just relies on trying to confuse the examiner (by producing false-positives), but if it's really that subjective, couldn't he say that the subject showed deception on all but one question, and that he consistently showed deception about drug use?

Actually, I believe deception might be inferred, in this case, on questions 2 and 3 only (assuming, of course, that the "lie" actually produces a response).

The results on all other questions would not be consistent from round to round, and would likely be ignored.

An easy solution to all of this, of course, is to simply countermeasure every question equally (so there's no consistent "peak of tension" to be found).  Additionally, it might be advisable to produce an even stronger augmentation on any irrelevant, sacrifice relevant, or "concealed control" questions ("have you lied to me about anything today" or "do you intend to be truthful in all your answers today?") for good measure.

Quote:

I've never taken a polygraph, but I will be taking one soon.  I really don't have anything to hide, so I haven't decided whether or not I'll use countermeasures.

If you have nothing to hide, IMHO you have even more incentive to use countermeasures to make sure the correct result is obtained.   

Quote:

I have confidence the use of countermeasures in the control-relevant examination.  But I am unconvinced that countermeasures can be reliably used in the peak-of-tension test.  I don't trust polygraphy 100% either, but I don't see why polygraphers don't use the peak-of-tension test to combat countermeasures more than they do.

I believe the test can be easily countermeasured.  As long as no consistent or comparably significant response is found, no deception should be inferred.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 3:50am
It appears plausible to me that only a person withholding information would wantonly countermeasure this format, considering it was properly constructed and administered.

When the test is properly constructed and administered, it may be scored in a manor that could prevent, if not eliminate, any countermeasure attempts.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 4:47am
George and Skeptic,

You refer to this test as a peak of tension.  A peak of tension test is constructed such that the deceptive person is lying to one and only one item.  

In this case, however, a person might be deceptive to one, several, or all relevant questions.  It is actually a form of relevant/irrelevant test and should be evaluated that way.  That is, any consistent, significant reaction to any specific question – in the absence of any plausible explanation which has been verified by additional testing – would indicate deception.  It’s a tough test to beat.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 5:00am
Quote:

George and Skeptic,

You refer to this test as a peak of tension.  A peak of tension test is constructed such that the deceptive person is lying to one and only one item.   

In this case, however, a person might be deceptive to one, several, or all relevant questions.  It is actually a form of relevant/irrelevant test and should be evaluated that way.  That is, any consistent, significant reaction to any specific question – in the absence of any plausible explanation which has been verified by additional testing – would indicate deception.  It’s a tough test to beat.

Dr. Barland,
Aren't you on record as saying methodology exists to detect the countermeasures taught in TLBTLD?  If so, you'll pardon my skepticism of your current comments, as I have personal experience regarding the accuracy of those prior statements.

I'm almost curious as to how much the R/I's "toughness" depends upon you telling everyone it's a "tough test to beat".

Regardless, as you point out, reactions to specific questions is one criteria for further inquiry.  Clearly, equal reactions employed on all questions would not only result in a chart that failed to meet this standard -- it would also make judgement regarding what is "significant" rather difficult, as well.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2002 at 7:44am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2002 at 11:19pm
Quote:

George and Skeptic,

You refer to this test as a peak of tension.  A peak of tension test is constructed such that the deceptive person is lying to one and only one item.  

In this case, however, a person might be deceptive to one, several, or all relevant questions.  It is actually a form of relevant/irrelevant test and should be evaluated that way.  That is, any consistent, significant reaction to any specific question – in the absence of any plausible explanation which has been verified by additional testing – would indicate deception.  It’s a tough test to beat.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon,

Thank you for correcting me on the proper nomenclature for the procedure alwazracin has described. It would appear then that it's a variant of the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, but with the irrelevant questions discarded (except for the initial question).

How does one determine whether a subject's explanation for a consistent, significant reaction to any specific question is plausible? And how can the plausibility or non-plausibility of that explanation be determined through additional "testing?"

Say for example, alwazracin had reacted strongly to the question, "Did you lie in section 1 (sex)?" each time it was asked. He explains this by saying that he has been truthful, but he simply feels uncomfortable at any mention of sexual matters. Is this explanation plausible? How would one make that determination through further "testing?"

You conclude saying, "It's a tough test to beat." Perhaps. Especially if the polygrapher is using the clinical approach and "arriving at any conclusions/opinions that he cares to see/render based on any or no considerations he chooses to employ."

But does the Relevant/Irrelevant technique have any validity?  More than a year ago now, in the message thread Countermeasure considerations for the innocent (which you initiated), you suggested this technique as one that could be used with subjects who admit to their knowledge of how the "Control" Question "Test" really works ("the lie behind the lie detector" if you will).

In response, I asked you:

Quote:
...if you would use the relevant/irrelevant format with sophisticated subjects (i.e., those who understand the polygraph procedure), then on what scientific basis do you expect to be able to distinguish truth from deception using this (thoroughly discredited) technique? For the informed, truthful subject who heeds your advice and does not employ countermeasures but instead admits to his/her knowledge of the trickery on which "control" question "test" polygraphy depends, the promise of being treated to a relevant/irrelevant "test" instead is hardly reassuring.

More than a year has passed, and you have not yet responded to this simple question. I hope you might care to do so now.

I'd also be interested in any answer you may have to the following question, which I raised in the message thread, Peer-Review and the Relevant/Irrelevant Technique:

Quote:
Can anyone in the polygraph community cite any peer-reviewed study whatsoever indicating that the Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) technique works any better than a coin flip, a Magic 8-Ball, or a ouija board (i.e., chance)?!

More than two months have passed since I posed this question, and no one has cited a single such study.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2002 at 7:48am
George,

I am in agreement that the use of polygraphs should be prohibited as a hiring practice.  I base this on the fact that polygraphs are not 100% accurate, and any margin of error could exclude a qualified candidate, or allow an unqualified person to get hired.  However, in my discussions with people that have undergone polygraphs, it is my unscientific opinion that polygraphs are generally accurate (more than 50%).  Of course there are always cases where polygraphs are dismally wrong.

The fact is that even though you and I, and others may feel that the polygraph is woefully unjust, inaccurate, and dehumanizing, polygraphy is a here for the time being, and any applicant such as myself must submit to it in order to secure the job of his choosing.  While your book is thorough with regards to discussion of the control/relevant test.  It is sparse with information for this type of test (Irrelevant/Relevant, peak-of-tension, or whatever), particularly in discussing possible counter-measures.  While your critique is primarily that this type of test has not had significant peer review or other academic scrutiny, again, the reality remains that this test is something that an applicant could realistically face.  And it seems to me that Dr. Barland is correct in his statement that this test is tough to beat.

Perhaps there is no effective way to employ countermeasures in this type of test.  In which case, you've done an outstanding job of research and discussion of countermeasures for the control/relevant test.  But if there is a way to sucessfully employ countermeasures for this type of test, please enlighten us.  I know that it is not your job to help others in this way, but you have obviously spent considerable time and effort researching polygraphy, and I and others look to you for information.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2002 at 9:20am
Stealth,

Quote:
...However, in my discussions with people that have undergone polygraphs, it is my unscientific opinion that polygraphs are generally accurate (more than 50%).

Note that a correct decision rate of greater than 50% is not necessarily indicative of greater than chance accuracy. For example, in the Department of Defense's counterintelligence-scope screening program, for the past two fiscal years, everyone who did not make "substantive admissions" passed (which is nearly everyone). Certainly, very few of those polygraphed are likely to have been spies, and it could be argued that the accuracy of this program is in the high 90th percentile. But similar "accuracy" could be achieved by the chance-accuracy method of arbitrarily deciding that everyone passes.

Quote:
While your book is thorough with regards to discussion of the control/relevant test.  It is sparse with information for this type of test (Irrelevant/Relevant, peak-of-tension, or whatever), particularly in discussing possible counter-measures.

You're right. Our discussion of the Relevant/Irrelevant technique is brief not just because it's less-commonly used, but also because it's not as well documented in the polygraph literature. For example, polygrapher James Allan Matte barely mentions the technique in his 800-page volume, Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph. Perhaps this is because the R/I technique is largely discredited, even within the polygraph community.

As for countermeasures to the R/I technique, I don't presently have anything to add to what we've included in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, except to note, as I did above, that if the polygrapher is using the "clinical" method of scoring, then I agree that producing any reaction to any relevant question would likely be "shooting yourself in the foot."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Need HELP with identifying control!!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X