Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need HELP with identifying control!!!! (Read 34401 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Re: Need HELP with identifying control!!!!
Reply #30 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 1:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Batman,

You write:

Quote:
...That should be the heading on this sites Home Page, NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT OR PRO-POLYGRAPH OPINIONS ACCEPTED HERE...

As best I can tell (and observe) this site will allow YOU personally to post an unlimited number of meaningless, erroneous, and trite posts per day.  How would you describe a site that is truly censored like PolygraphPlace.com??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Reply #31 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 7:09am
Skeptic,

You said:
Quote:
There is debate, even now, over the efficacy of "security through obscurity".  Encryption algorithms are a prime example:  although a case can be made that keeping algorithms secret provides an additional layer of protection, no cryptographer worth his or her salt would ever base the security of an algorithm on this principle.  In fact, good cryptographic design is completely dependent upon the algorithm being secure even if all details about it are public knowledge.  The same should be the case for physical security of a premesis -- which is where your analogy falls apart.

I certainly agree with you when it comes to encryption.  However, psychological tests are a different matter.  Most psychological tests, be they personality tests such as the MMPI-2 or forensic tests, were developed on populations of naive test takers.  Once the tests have been developed, attempts are made to safeguard against those trying to fake good or otherwise manipulate or invalidate them.  The MMPI-2, for example, contains a Lie scale and a Frequency scale, among others, to alert the examiner to such attempts.  

But if someone were to purchase the test booklets, scoring protocols, and analysis books; if they knew which questions belong to which scales and how they are answered in the normal or deviant manner; if they were to plan what type of profile they wish to project and studied sufficiently well, then the psychologist's task at determining their true psychological profile would be more difficult.  This is why the psychological community tries to prevent the dissemination of that type of information to the potential test takers.

Is the information classified?  No; certainly not by the Government.  But it just common sense that to disseminate that type of information to the test taker is not in society's best interest.  Hence, the efforts of the psychological community to restrict the information to the scientific community.  

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying.  Obviously the tests undergo extensive validation testing, studies are conducted to determine how naive and not-so-naive subjects attempt to manipulate the results, articles are published, textbooks are written, and the information is generally in the public domain.  Nonetheless, many psychological tests assume that the average person taking the test is relatively naive about the details of the test and precisely how it is interpreted.  To the extent that assumption is not met, the validity of the test may decrease.

Does it mean that if the person taking the test were extremely knowledgeable, he'd be able to mislead the psychologist?  I would think it would shift the odds, but would not guarantee success.  A lot would depend upon the forensic psycholgist's skill at administering and evaluating the test, his knowledge of the case facts, his knowledge of the subject's background, and his clinical impression of the subject himself, and his interviewing skills.  

I haven't touched upon the ethics of teaching someone how to manipulate a forensic test.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #32 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 8:43am
Gordon,

Skeptic's remarks with regard to the shortcomings of "security through obscurity" have direct relevance to the issue of polygraph security screening. Even if the public at large knows little about polygraphy (just as it knows little about cryptology), it is not safe to suppose that these matters are unknown to foreign intelligence services.

You also write in part:

Quote:
I haven't touched upon the ethics of teaching someone how to manipulate a forensic test.

Is it your position that the Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph technique is a "forensic test?" If so, perhaps you could provide us with other examples of forensic tests whose validity (like that of the R/I "test") is completely unsupported by any peer-reviewed research whatsoever?

Perhaps you could also tell us what the sensitivity and specificity of the R/I "test" is for the detection of deception? If you can't, then perhaps you could give us examples of other forensic tests that have unknown sensitivity and specificity?

???
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2002 at 9:30am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #33 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 9:38am

Quote:

I feel your pain, Batman!   It helps to be a masochist when defending the polygraph here.

Peace.

Gordon

Your defense of the polygraph here might be better helped if you were to bring intellectual honesty, critical thought, and reasoned argument to the debate, rather than dodging the substantive questions put to you.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 5:43pm
George,

When anyone does attempt to "bring intellectual honesty, critical thought, and reasoned argument to the debate" guys like Beech Trees and yourself pull small quotes out of context and then demand that justification be given for what was said.  After awhile this gets tiresome.  It is always easy to go on the attack and demand that every word be clearly defined and validated but it takes away from the true debate.  Also, when you have rabid dogs like Beech Trees, Anonymous, and on ocassion Gino ripping at peoples throats it tends to make one shy away from the actual debate itself.   

Sooooo, I have decided to leave the debate about polygraph and simply comment on those individuals who post on this site, claiming to have been wronged by some accuser (ie" Joseph, Bnicknell, & Friendtoall), and are seeking ways to beat the system.  On ocassion I will also poke the perverbial stick at the mad dog, Beech Trees.

Dr. Barland may have the where-with-all to attempt to continue to debate on the accuracy of polygraph, however I have got to believe even he will grow tired of the continual nipping at the heels by the likes of such INDEPENDENT THINKERS as Beech Trees.   

Beech, if it wasn't for the Wizard of Anti-Polygraph Oz, George himself, you wouldn't have a brain, and you wouldn't know an independent thought if it came round and bit you in the butt.  Hows that for "puerile tripe"?

Batman

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 7:02pm
Batman,

You write:

Quote:
...Sooooo, I have decided to leave the debate about polygraph...

No problem, Bat...and don't worry about any fingerprints you may have left--no evidence you were ever there to begin with...

Quote:
...Anonymous, if Beech Trees is accurate in diagnosing my mental illness then yes I have seen 3-4 educated, articulate people in the same room at one time, problem is, they've all been me...

No argument with you, Bat, but appears the great Beech is only half right...I think he missed the psychosis...   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 8:29pm
Batman wrote on Sep 2nd, 2002 at 5:43pm:
George,

When anyone does attempt to "bring intellectual honesty, critical thought, and reasoned argument to the debate" guys like Beech Trees and yourself pull small quotes out of context and then demand that justification be given for what was said.

Before you pretend to leave in a huff, would you cite an example of me quoting someone 'out of context'?

Quote:
After awhile this gets tiresome.  It is always easy to go on the attack and demand that every word be clearly defined and validated but it takes away from the true debate.

B.m.--

Where on this message board have I ever asked you to define a word?  Where on this message board have I ever asked you to validate a word? When have you ever sought to debate anything? When asked to back up gratuitous assertions, you decline to respond, or make childish retorts wholey unsuited to an alleged public servant.

Quote:
Also, when you have rabid dogs like Beech Trees, Anonymous, and on ocassion Gino ripping at peoples throats it tends to make one shy away from the actual debate itself.

I'm all about the debate, b.m. Speaking of tiresome, I personally grow weary of attempting to draw you into a serious debate, only to have you post yet another puerile taunt.

Quote:
Sooooo, I have decided to leave the debate about polygraph and simply comment on those individuals who post on this site, claiming to have been wronged by some accuser (ie" Joseph, Bnicknell, & Friendtoall), and are seeking ways to beat the system.  On ocassion I will also poke the perverbial stick at the mad dog, Beech Trees.

And this would differ from your previous modus operandi in what fashion...?

Quote:
Dr. Barland may have the where-with-all to attempt to continue to debate on the accuracy of polygraph, however I have got to believe even he will grow tired of the continual nipping at the heels by the likes of such INDEPENDENT THINKERS as Beech Trees.

I suppose, if one were recalcitrant or simply unable to back up their gratuitous assertions here, it would grow tiresome to read repeated requests to do so-- perhaps you're correct there b.m.

Quote:
Beech, if it wasn't for the Wizard of Anti-Polygraph Oz, George himself, you wouldn't have a brain, and you wouldn't know an independent thought if it came round and bit you in the butt.  Hows that for "puerile tripe"?

I'd say it's some of your best puerile tripe yet, b.m. The only way in which it, and everything else you've posted to date here, could be held in lower regard is if it was composed and posted on taxpayer's time.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #37 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:31pm

Quote:

Skeptic,

You said:

I certainly agree with you when it comes to encryption.  However, psychological tests are a different matter.  Most psychological tests, be they personality tests such as the MMPI-2 or forensic tests, were developed on populations of naive test takers.  Once the tests have been developed, attempts are made to safeguard against those trying to fake good or otherwise manipulate or invalidate them.  The MMPI-2, for example, contains a Lie scale and a Frequency scale, among others, to alert the examiner to such attempts.   

But if someone were to purchase the test booklets, scoring protocols, and analysis books; if they knew which questions belong to which scales and how they are answered in the normal or deviant manner; if they were to plan what type of profile they wish to project and studied sufficiently well, then the psychologist's task at determining their true psychological profile would be more difficult.  This is why the psychological community tries to prevent the dissemination of that type of information to the potential test takers.

You have, of course, subtly changed the subject with the above.  We were talking about security screening proceedures, and in order to make your point, you have now widened the scope to general psychological testing.

While I'll not dispute that widespread dissemination of information regarding the MMPI-2 does serve to compromise the test, you've ironically hurt your own case with the anology.  Aside from individuals and corporations that have financial interest in using the MMPI-2 for employment screening, most psychologists I'm aware of consider such purposes an abuse of the test.  It wasn't designed for employment or security screening, nor has it been validated for such.  Further, its proper use involves it being only one facet of a thorough psychological profile and assessment.  Thus, I believe your analogy to polygraphy is a better one than you intended.   

An important distinction, Oof course, is that anyone who wants to read up on the validity and theory behind the MMPI-2 can easily do so, through the peer-reviewed psychological literature.  Can you claim the same for R/I testing?  If so, would you care to point us to references?

Skepti

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joseph
New User

Reply #38 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 12:16am
Batman,

You said, "Sooooo, I have decided to leave the debate about polygraph and simply comment on those individuals who post on this site, claiming to have been wronged by some accuser (ie" Joseph, Bnicknell, & Friendtoall), and are seeking ways to beat the system.  On ocassion I will also poke the perverbial stick at the mad dog, Beech Trees."

I take offense to this.  I am not "seeking ways to beat the system" as you have claimed!  I am trying to understand why I failed both a polygraph and a CVSA exam even though I was not lying.  I think it was you in a previous post who advised anyone facing a poly to tell the truth and you will pass.  Well, I did just that and did not pass, not just once but twice!

My only purpose in posting to this site is get some possible answers to this question.  I am not trying to "beat" anything!

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 5:56am
Skeptic,

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.  I thought you were talking about the polygraph generally.  On several occasions George has raised the issue of whether any accepted forensic test can in any way depend upon secrecy for its effectiveness.  I had that in mind when I brought up psychological tests.  I was thinking of forensic applications of tests (both psychological and polygraphic), not security screening.  The point I was intending to make is that both the CQT and many psychological tests were originally designed for use with relatively naive subjects.

I presume that the validity of both the CQT and a number of forensic psychological tests would be inversely proportional to the subject's knowledge of the tests' construction, what items belong to which scales, the scoring systems, etc., and directly proportional to the examiners' knowledgeability, experience, and skill in detecting countermeasures, access to collateral and background information, etc.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #40 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 6:40am
George,

You wrote:
Quote:
Even if the public at large knows little about polygraphy (just as it knows little about cryptology), it is not safe to suppose that these matters are unknown to foreign intelligence services.

Of course foreign intelligence services know about polygraph technology and procedures.  In some cases, they have gone through schools here in America.  In others, American schools have held courses overseas for a variety of governments and their police and intelligence services.  In most of the many cases of which I am aware, the intelligence services have been those of countries which are our friends and allies, or which pose no realistic threat to us.  In a number of cases, they are using the polygraph to help protect the intelligence which we share with them.

On the other hand, information posted on the Internet can be accessed by every intelligence service in the world, including those who would do us the greatest harm possible.  Instead of having to devote a great deal of manpower and money to acquire knowledge of our security screening programs and procedures and how to circumvent them, you would present them with all that information, and keep them updated on all changes that occur.  And you want me to cooperate in this endeavor??

In another post, you pointed out that a couple of decades ago Ray Weir and Norman Ansley published details of the R/I test.  You cited this to suggest either I or the Government were being hypocritical or disingenous at not discussing it now.  

Times change.  Administrations change.  Personnel change.  Policies change.  Polygraph testing evolves.  Formats and procedures are modified.  Countermeasures are employed, and counter-countermeasures are developed.  Do you think that just because some details were published more than a quarter century ago, the Government ought to keep you (and hence every intelligence service worldwide) updated on every change as it occurs?

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #41 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 9:22am
Gordon,

You write:

Quote:
Of course foreign intelligence services know about polygraph technology and procedures.  In some cases, they have gone through schools here in America.  In others, American schools have held courses overseas for a variety of governments and their police and intelligence services.  In most of the many cases of which I am aware, the intelligence services have been those of countries which are our friends and allies, or which pose no realistic threat to us.  In a number of cases, they are using the polygraph to help protect the intelligence which we share with them.

Foreign intelligence services' knowledge of polygraph technology and procedures is not dependent upon any cooperative agreement with the U.S. Government, or arrangements with U.S. polygraph schools. A great deal of information has been published about polygraphy, and that open source information is available not only to friends and allies, or countries that pose no realistic threat to the U.S., but to any government or organization. (And polygraph instruments can be readily obtained, despite U.S. export controls.)

Quote:
On the other hand, information posted on the Internet can be accessed by every intelligence service in the world, including those who would do us the greatest harm possible.  Instead of having to devote a great deal of manpower and money to acquire knowledge of our security screening programs and procedures and how to circumvent them, you would present them with all that information, and keep them updated on all changes that occur.  And you want me to cooperate in this endeavor??

Gordon, every article you've ever written for Polygraph is also readily accessed by any intelligence agency in the world. The American Polygraph Association has recently made it cheaper and easier by making the first 30 volumes available on CD-ROM.

I haven't asked you to cooperate in an endeavor to present foreign intelligence services with "knowledge of our security screening programs and procedures and how to circumvent them." I've asked you general questions related to the scientific basis for CQT and R/I polygraphy. I don't see any legitimate security concern that would prevent you from addressing, for example, the following questions (which you've thus far dodged):
  • ...if you would use the relevant/irrelevant format with sophisticated subjects (i.e., those who understand the polygraph procedure), then on what scientific basis do you expect to be able to distinguish truth from deception using this (thoroughly discredited) technique? For the informed, truthful subject who heeds your advice and does not employ countermeasures but instead admits to his/her knowledge of the trickery on which "control" question "test" polygraphy depends, the promise of being treated to a relevant/ irrelevant "test" instead is hardly reassuring.
  • Can anyone in the polygraph community cite any peer-reviewed study whatsoever indicating that the Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) technique works any better than a coin flip, a Magic 8-Ball, or a ouija board (i.e., chance)?!
  • Is it your position that the Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph technique is a "forensic test?" If so, perhaps you could provide us with other examples of forensic tests whose validity (like that of the R/I "test") is completely unsupported by any peer-reviewed research whatsoever?
  • Perhaps you could also tell us what the sensitivity and specificity of the R/I "test" is for the detection of deception? If you can't, then perhaps you could give us examples of other forensic tests that have unknown sensitivity and specificity?

There is no national security concern that prevents you from addressing these questions, Gordon. I think it is intellectually dishonest of you to suggest that such is the case. It is increasingly apparent that the reason you won't substantively address these questions is that the answers would cause embarrassment to you and the polygraph community.

Quote:
In another post, you pointed out that a couple of decades ago Ray Weir and Norman Ansley published details of the R/I test.  You cited this to suggest either I or the Government were being hypocritical or disingenous at not discussing it now.  

Times change.  Administrations change.  Personnel change.  Policies change.  Polygraph testing evolves.  Formats and procedures are modified.  Countermeasures are employed, and counter-countermeasures are developed.  Do you think that just because some details were published more than a quarter century ago, the Government ought to keep you (and hence every intelligence service worldwide) updated on every change as it occurs?

What has changed since Weir wrote -- and Ansley published -- articles detailing the polygraph screening procedure then in use by the NSA? That information became immediately available to anyone who cared to peruse Polygraph, including the intelligence services of Cold War adversaries. Has information about the R/I technique (and even its theoretical basis) become more sensitive now that the Cold War is over?

In a sense, perhaps it has. Nowadays, the polygraph community seems to be much more concerned about the American people learning about polygraphy than it ever was about foreign intelligence services learning about it.

Gordon, you say that polygraph testing "evolves." With regard to the Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test," it appears that any "evolution" has occurred in the absence of any new federal research. The Defense Security Service's answer to a Freedom of Information Act request I filed for all DoDPI information on the Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test" indicates that DoDPI has done no research whatsoever on this technique. (See the message thread DSS Withholds R/I Screening Documentation.)

Gordon, forgive me if your final question was merely a rhetorical one. I'm going to address it. You asked, "Do you think that just because some details were published more than a quarter century ago, the Government ought to keep you (and hence every intelligence service worldwide) updated on every change as it occurs?"

I think that if applicants for federal employment (as well as current employees) are going to have their honesty and integrity assessed on the basis of the Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph technique (or any other polygraph technique, for that matter), and the U.S. Government is to take adverse action in whole or in part on the basis thereof (as it routinely does), then due process requires that those against whom adverse action is taken be provided access to the methodology that was used by the U.S. Government to stigmatize them, and to challenge that methodology, whether in an administrative hearing, or in a court of law.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2002 at 9:56am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PDD-Fed

Reply #42 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 2:05pm
Quote:

Gordon,

"...if you would use the relevant/irrelevant format with sophisticated subjects (i.e., those who understand the polygraph procedure), then on what scientific basis do you expect to be able to distinguish truth from deception using this (thoroughly discredited) technique..."

George, this is now the 2nd or 3rd time you have either used the term "thoroughly discredited technique."  or something along the lines of "Discredited by the polygraph community itself."  when discussing the R&I procedure.  Now, please forgive me if I do not get the quote exactly as it appeared, but my question is:

Exactly who are you quoting within the polygraph comunity when you claim the R&I to be a "thoroughly discredited' methodology?

PDD-Fed

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #43 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 2:58pm
PDD-Fed,

When I describe the Relevant/Irrelevant technique as a "thoroughly discredited" methodology, I am not quoting any individual, but summarizing what I've observed. The R/I technique is completely unsupported by any peer-reviewed research whatsoever, and to the best of my knowledge, has no defenders in the scientific community. The polygraph community itself has largely abandoned the R/I technique in favor of the CQT. John Reid and Fred Inbau exclude the R/I technique from their classic book, The Polygraph (Lie-Detector) Technique and James Allan Matte similarly excludes it from his more recent reference work, Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph. And over the past thirty years, the American Polygraph Association quarterly, Polygraph has published only a few articles on the R/I technique. (I believe they can be counted on one hand.) The most important of these articles is Raymond J. Weir's 1974 article, "In Defense of the Relevant-Irrelevant Polygraph Test" (Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 119-166). That Weir felt the need to write an apology for the R/I technique is an indication of the low regard in which it was held within the polygraph community even 28 years ago.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #44 - Sep 3rd, 2002 at 3:19pm
PDD-Fed,

Courtesy of Skeptic, the following was previously posted:

Quote:
..."The relevant/irrelevant technique has been determined by researchers to produce an unacceptably high number of 'false positive' errors (because even an innocent subject will recognize the significance of the relevant question and may react to it) and has generally been discarded in favor of other techniques that have been shown to have a higher degree of reliability." 
-- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia, U.S. vs. Gilliard.   

"The relevant/irrelevant technique has been conclusively shown to be an invalid technique in published scientific research...the relevant/irrelevant technique is known to produce a large number (80+%) of false positive errors (the truthful fail the test). A failed RI test should be given no weight for any purpose." [emphasis added]
-- Dr. Charles Honts...

This commentary, particularly that coming from Honts, one of the few polygraphers with any serious psychophysiological credentials and no particular friend of the antipolygraph community, is particularly damning.  Since Gordon Barland seems unable to do so, perhaps you might like to offer any contradictory evidence or statement from the peer-reviewed psychophysiological scientific literature that you are aware of.  Until you do, this nonsense remains, as George as indicated, completely discredited.  You should be embarrassed to reveal that it is even still considered yet utilized by the federal government.   

You are of course at a complete loss as to what to do...your previously heralded control question test (created to compensate for the glaring theoretical flaws with RI testing) is now so easily defeated that you are considering switching back to a previously shunned exam.  Oh my, what's a poor polygrapher to do?!?!  Because there are NO counter-countermeasures for CQT testing, the polygraph community has been forced to adopt the only, albeit insane "lie-detection" one, left to it...RI testing.   

Perhaps it is time to come out of the polygraph suites, really investigate cases, collect and protect information, and run the only sane option for you...information-based tests.  This, of course, will be the death knell for the abhorrent fishing expeditions we have come to know as polygraph screening.  But perhaps the good news for you (in addition to being involved in meaningful and productive work) is that at that point this site may have served its purpose and fade away too...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Need HELP with identifying control!!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X