Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need HELP with identifying control!!!! (Read 34388 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: Need HELP with identifying control!!!!
Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2002 at 7:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A few quotes on the R/I "technque":

"The relevant/irrelevant technique has been determined by researchers to produce an unacceptably high number of 'false positive' errors (because even an innocent subject will recognize the significance of the relevant question and may react to it) and has generally been discarded in favor of other techniques that have been shown to have a higher degree of reliability." 
-- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia, U.S. vs. Gilliard.  

"The relevant/irrelevant technique has been conclusively shown to be an invalid technique in published scientific research...the relevant/irrelevant technique is known to produce a large number (80+%) of false positive errors (the truthful fail the test). A failed RI test should be given no weight for any purpose." [emphasis added]
-- Dr. Charles Honts

So, Dr. Barland, if your objective is simply to produce a "tough test to beat" with countermeasures, why not just get a six-sided die, and declare everyone who doesn't roll a 1 deceptive?  I challenge anyone to countermeasure the test, you can give it over and over, you save the taxpayers a hell of a lot of money, and the chances of a false positive are on par with those of the R/I "technique".

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 5:03pm
George,

In reference to my silence on the R/I test, you wrote:
Quote:
More than a year has passed, and you have not yet responded to this simple question. I hope you might care to do so now.

The R/I test is used to protect our national security, yet you seek ways to circumvent this security procedure.  The Government has requested that I not discuss the R/I test in public.  I am obliged to honor that request.   I could not respond to your request a year ago, nor can I now.

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 6:03pm
Quote:

George,

The R/I test is used to protect our national security, yet you seek ways to circumvent this security procedure.  The Government has requested that I not discuss the R/I test in public.  I am obliged to honor that request.   I could not respond to your request a year ago, nor can I now.

Dr. Barland,

If I may ask:

What government agency has requested that you not discuss the R/I format?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 7:17pm
Beech Trees,

The identity of the organization is not secret, but neither is it to be bandied about.  There are a number of foreign intelligence services which wish to keep abreast of which test formats are used by specific U.S. agencies.  The less they know, the harder it is for them to penetrate those agencies.

George,

You ask why a technique with forensic applications should be kept out of the public domain.  I would argue that one reason for doing so is because it is also used for security purposes.  Let me give you an analogy.  Intrusion detection systems are unclassified, off-the-shelf items.  Yet it is a prudent practice for any homeowner, corporation, or government agency to withhold information about which specific alarm systems and devices they are using to safeguard their possessions.  This greatly increases the difficulty of trying to penetrate the defenses to access that which must be protected.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 7:50pm
Gordon,

You write:

Quote:
...Intrusion detection systems are unclassified, off-the-shelf items.  Yet it is a prudent practice for any homeowner, corporation, or government agency to withhold information about which specific alarm systems and devices they are using to safeguard their possessions.  This greatly increases the difficulty of trying to penetrate the defenses to access that which must be protected...

Quite true.  However, these groups (manufacturers and users of security devices) have not sought membership and active participation in the forensic science academic community based on these efforts.  I believe your suggested analogy is a poor one.  Perhaps you might care to suggest a recognized discipline within the American Academy of Forensic Sciences whose procedures and practices depend upon deception, misrepresentation, and the need for a  universally ignorant public.  I am not aware of any.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 7:51pm
Gordon,

How could answering the following question I put to you conceivably undermine national security in any way?!

Quote:
...if you would use the relevant/irrelevant format with sophisticated subjects (i.e., those who understand the polygraph procedure), then on what scientific basis do you expect to be able to distinguish truth from deception using this (thoroughly discredited) technique? For the informed, truthful subject who heeds your advice and does not employ countermeasures but instead admits to his/her knowledge of the trickery on which "control" question "test" polygraphy depends, the promise of being treated to a relevant/irrelevant "test" instead is hardly reassuring.

Is even the theoretical basis of the Relevant/Irrelevant technique a state secret?!

The former head of the National Security Agency's polygraph program, the late Raymond J. Weir, Jr., has described the technique in detail in two articles published in the American Polygraph Association quarterly, Polygraph ("In Defense of the Relevant-Irrelevant Polygraph Test," Vol. 3 [1974], No. 2, pp. 119-166 and "Some Principles of Question Selection and Sequencing for Relevant-Irrelevant Testing," Vol. 5 [1976], No. 3, pp. 207-222). For more than 25 years, these rather detailed articles describing the R/I technique then (and perhaps still) used by NSA have been readily available for review by any foreign intelligence service that might be interested in penetrating the NSA. But the retired head of the NSA polygraph program (and Polygraph's then editor, Norm Ansley, who was also at NSA) didn't seem to think that publication of these articles would harm national security.

When you, allegedly at the request of a government agency that you decline to name, assert that you cannot explain why the polygraph subject who admits to his polygrapher that he  understands how the "Control" Question "Test" works (and doesn't) should have any confidence whatsoever in the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, then either you, the un-named agency, or both are being intellectually dishonest.

And how could answering the following question undermine national securtity in any conceivable way?

Quote:
Can anyone in the polygraph community cite any peer-reviewed study whatsoever indicating that the Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) technique works any better than a coin flip, a Magic 8-Ball, or a ouija board (i.e., chance)?!

Why not just cite the research, or take the intellectually honest approach and acknowledge the obvious: there is none!

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #21 - Aug 21st, 2002 at 9:00pm

Quote:

Beech Trees,

The identity of the organization is not secret, but neither is it to be bandied about.  There are a number of foreign intelligence services which wish to keep abreast of which test formats are used by specific U.S. agencies.  The less they know, the harder it is for them to penetrate those agencies.

George,

You ask why a technique with forensic applications should be kept out of the public domain.  I would argue that one reason for doing so is because it is also used for security purposes.  Let me give you an analogy.  Intrusion detection systems are unclassified, off-the-shelf items.  Yet it is a prudent practice for any homeowner, corporation, or government agency to withhold information about which specific alarm systems and devices they are using to safeguard their possessions.  This greatly increases the difficulty of trying to penetrate the defenses to access that which must be protected.

There is debate, even now, over the efficacy of "security through obscurity".  Encryption algorithms are a prime example:  although a case can be made that keeping algorithms secret provides an additional layer of protection, no cryptographer worth his or her salt would ever base the security of an algorithm on this principle.  In fact, good cryptographic design is completely dependent upon the algorithm being secure even if all details about it are public knowledge.  The same should be the case for physical security of a premesis -- which is where your analogy falls apart.

There are at least two devastating arguments against the "security through obscurity" principle.  The first is that details almost always come out one way or another.  The second is that more scrutiny leads to the plugging of holes in security, not to its compromise.

Frankly, your entire premise smells fishy to me.  Given your track record of misleading the public on the topic of polygraphy, I rather think the point of refusing to discuss R/I screening when the tough questions are asked (and if you look at your posting history, you will find that you have frequently discussed the subject otherwise) is "saving face" rather than "saving national security."

Skeptic

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2002 at 8:06am
Skeptic,

You write in part:

Quote:
There are at least two devastating arguments against the "security through obscurity" principle.  The first is that details almost always come out one way or another.  The second is that more scrutiny leads to the plugging of holes in security, not to its compromise.

You make an astute observation here. With regard to polygraphy, for example, note that during the Cold War at least one U.S. Government polygrapher defected to the Communists. Retired CIA polygrapher John F. Sullivan mentions this at p. 235 of his book, Of Spies and Lies: A CIA Lie Detector Remembers Vietnam (University Press of Kansas, 2002):

Quote:
During my tour with the [U.S. Army] 513th Military Intelligence Group in Germany from January 1965 until July 1967, one of our polygraph examiners, S. Sgt. Glen Rohrer, defected to Czechoslovakia. While investigating his defection, we learned that the Czechs ran a polygraph countermeasures program and that the head of that program was a Dr. Miroslav Dufek.

Presumably, anything of importance that Glen Rohrer knew about polygraphy also became known to Eastern Bloc intelligence services (if it was not already known to them).

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2002 at 8:29pm
Quote:
The identity of the organization is not secret, but neither is it to be bandied about.  There are a number of foreign intelligence services which wish to keep abreast of which test formats are used by specific U.S. agencies.  The less they know, the harder it is for them to penetrate those agencies.

I see.

Was this a signed formal agreement of non-disclosure concerning the R/I interrogation format? If so, I'm having difficulty understanding your sudden announcement and recalcitrance to comment considering you've posted here semi-regularly for quite some time, this past year included. You've even originated threads of discussion centering on the R/I format.

Perhaps your non-disclosure agreement was carefully crafted so that you are allowed to make gratuitous assertions concerning polygraphy and the R/I format, but may hide behind the cloak of 'government security' when asked to clarify/support/prove your assertions? Regardless, it's a puzzling turn of events when contrasted with your previous statements such as:

Quote:
Now this is exactly the type of discussion I had hoped for, on a topic dear to my heart.  I will give you my views in the coming days and weeks, but wish to clear up some of the back log first.

and

Quote:
my next substantive postings on AntiPolygraph will probably be discussing the scientific research supporting the accuracy of the polygraph

and

Quote:
I will get to all of your questions in time; typically one post per day.  See you tomorrow!

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Broken
New User

Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2002 at 9:02pm
alwazracin:

What were your "results"?  Do you know?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 11:10pm
Dr. Barland,

Welcome to the WWF Tag Team Championships.  As you are well aware, nothing you say in either defense of yourself or of polygraph will ever be good enough.  That should be the heading on this sites Home Page, NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT OR PRO-POLYGRAPH OPINIONS ACCEPTED HERE!   

It is interesting to see how your posting brought out a lot of the little kreepy things that crawl around in the dark.  It's kind of like kicking an ant hill!

Batman

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #26 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 12:36am
I feel your pain, Batman!   It helps to be a masochist when defending the polygraph here.

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #27 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 12:50am
Batman wrote on Sep 1st, 2002 at 11:10pm:

Dr. Barland,

Welcome to the WWF Tag Team Championships.  As you are well aware, nothing you say in either defense of yourself or of polygraph will ever be good enough.  That should be the heading on this sites Home Page, NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT OR PRO-POLYGRAPH OPINIONS ACCEPTED HERE!

Batman,

If-- and I choose that word carefully in lieu of the word 'when', which I find to be overly-optimistic in matters dealing with your posts-- you ever have an actual independent thought, please feel free to alert us all, as that will be a remarkable day indeed.

Do you agree or disagree that jumping in and responding to pointed questions to Dr. Barland is hypocritical, considering your constant whiny laments that we of the reasoned side of the polygraph debate do exactly the same? As far as I can see, the only difference is that when we do so, it is with rational, reasoned discourse whereas your retorts are puerile tripe put forth for no other purpose except to taunt those people who do not agree with you.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2002 at 4:43pm by beech trees »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 1:04am
Batman,

You wrote in part to Gordon:

Quote:
As you are well aware, nothing you say in either defense of yourself or of polygraph will ever be good enough.  That should be the heading on this sites Home Page, NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT OR PRO-POLYGRAPH OPINIONS ACCEPTED HERE!

On the contrary, independent thought and pro-polygraph opinions are always welcome here. All points of views are invited, and this board is not censored: you'll find that none of your posts have been deleted or otherwise censored because of their content. By contrast, on the message board of the pro-polygraph website PolygraphPlace.com, posts by polygraph opponents are deleted. And the American Polygraph Association website offers no public forum like this message board.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2002 at 1:19am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 1:11am

Quote:

I feel your pain, Batman!   It helps to be a masochist when defending the polygraph here.

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon,

It's good to see you're still here. Perhaps you'd care to respond substantively to the questions I put to you in this thread on 21 August, and to Skeptic's commentary on the shortcomings of "security through obscurity?"

???

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Need HELP with identifying control!!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X