Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A word or two from the "other side" (Read 52084 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: A word or two from the "other side"
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 8:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Polycop,

As you suggest, I think it’s a bit silly to be confirming urinalysis results with polygraph exams.  It's a bit like confirming Radar Doppler (weather forecasting) results with a wet finger in the air.  That having been said, if I were a member of the CQT polygraph community, I would take all the urinalysis confirmations I could get my hands on...a sure fire way to raise the batting averages in the accuracy realm...  Cheers

Drew Richardson

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 12:53pm
George,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I'll limit myself to some of your last post to me since this thread seems to have overrun its course.

Ref this question:
Do you really believe that Polycop's analogy comparing me with "Reverend" Matt Hale of the "World Church of the Creator" is an apt one? 

I do not think anyone is comparing you to these types of outrageous views.  I do concur with the point he was trying to make that often information found on the internet, to include this site, could be detrimental to the persons using it and to others.  The point is, if you really believe a criminal could avoid detection, then you do not care that you could with enable criminals to continue to re-offend.  The news has been dominated recently by a murderer who had been previously acquitted for other child sex assault offenses.  And thus he was free to rape and kill a five year old.  Don't think polygraph was involved in the previous investigation in this case, but you seek to provide all persons, to include felons, with a possible tool to wrongfully obtain exculpatory evidence.  Doubt it will work, but that is an ethical flaw, from where I sit, regardless of what good intentions you claim. 

I would also address this assertion:
The fact that the American Polygraph Association quarterly, Polygraph, in its 30-year history, has not published a single article detailing such a methodology, and that no one in the polygraph community has had the courage to step up to Drew Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge (174 days and counting) strongly suggests that that community has no reliable method for detecting such countermeasures, and knows that to accept Dr. Richardson's challenge would expose their inability to detect countermeasures.

To answer such challenges or publish such material in public periodicals would obviously provide new information for counter-counter-countermeasures (and the process would become as redundant and tedious as that sounds).

You also said: 
You had earlier written that "usually NDI results eliminates [sic] the examinee as a suspect." Are you now acknowledging that passing a polygraph "test" cannot reliably eliminate an examinee as a suspect? And with regard to DI (deception indicated) outcomes, what do you think of Len Harrelson's claim that without a confession, polygrams are just polygrams?

An NDI would eliminate suspicion altogether in cases where little else is available to suggest guilt.  For example a "he said, she said" sex assault where neither accused or accuser is more credible.  Other evidence would not be ignored however in any case. That was my point.  Thorough investigation is the key.  For me a confession is the end all, since where I work, the charts are not admissible in court.   A question I'd ask you, perhaps for another thread, do you oppose obtaining of confessions or accepted interrogation techniques?  

And finally in reference to this:
On a final note, I'd be interested in your views on what I think is one of the most important issues you raised. You suggested that a subject's failure to pass means that he is withholding information that he believes is relevant.

Perhaps it is not a good scientific study, but my experience has proven that most of my inconclusive exams, and some of my DI exams, end in post test admissions ammounting to less than the offense being investigated.  After these admissions, an NDI second series often follows corroborating both the admissions (and my assertion).  

I want to say that I am flattered that my initial ramblings developed into such in depth discussion.  Contrary to my first post, I may continue to chime in with my two cents, now and then.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2002 at 2:54pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 3:35pm
Public_Servant,

Let me reduce this to its simplest form.  We would have you (the polygraph community) stop the victimization of innocent polygraph examinees and the risking of the national security via the utilization of polygraph screening techniques.  Until such time as that occurs, we will do what we can (which may well include actions that reduce your ability to bluff the guilty) to bring that end to pass.   To borrow loosely from another context…the rain, of necessity, falls upon both the wicked and the righteous.  Regards,

Drew Richardson

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2002 at 5:00pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polycop

Re: A word or two from the
Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 7:16pm

Quote:

Public_Servant,

Let me reduce this to its simplest form.  We would have you (the polygraph community) stop the victimization of innocent polygraph examinees and the risking of the national security via the utilization of polygraph screening techniques.  Until such time as that occurs, we will do what we can (which may well include actions that reduce your ability to bluff the guilty) to bring that end to pass.   To borrow loosely from another context…the rain, of necessity, falls upon both the wicked and the righteous.  Regards,

Drew Richardson

And with that simple statement, Drew, George, Gino, Beechtrees, anonymous, and the others on this site have just completely absolved themselves of any guilt or responsibility in ANY of the damage they have caused the innocent applicants for criminal justice or intelligence related employment in this country.  The applicants we dismiss daily for attempted polygraph countermeasures.  The irony of course, is that they have not hurt the ones they sought to.  They have hurt the innocent.

Congratulations....

Polycop

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 7:34pm
Polycop,

You make the following reference:

Quote:
...The applicants we dismiss daily for attempted polygraph countermeasures....

If you and others are in fact dismissing people daily for attempted countermeasures, then you (not we) are creating a second group of victims (the first being those falsely accused of deception via polygraph exams).  You certainly (absent admissions of such) cannot detect polygraph countermeasures reliably and demonstrably.  If you believe me to be wrong, and you meet my previously stated qualification of being someone whose skills and background would be recognized and unquestioned by the national polygraph community, perhaps you might care to be the first to accept my publicly stated challenge.   

You further state:

Quote:
...The irony of course, is that they have not hurt the ones they sought to...

Although this reference is unclear, I suppose it refers to those you listed within your last post.  If so, it is completely wrong (not only the conclusion which I previously referred to but the stated assumption as well)...we have no desire to hurt anyone in our efforts to prevent the victimization that we see (to include even those who are responsible for the victimization).

Regards,

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2002 at 7:55pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 8:51pm
Public Servant,

It's good to hear from you again. Please don't be concerned about the length of any discussion thread. I think as long as rational discourse and exchange of views continues on a topic, then it remains worthwhile. There's no notional limit on the number of posts in any one message thread.

You wrote in part:

Quote:
Ref this question:
Do you really believe that Polycop's analogy comparing me with "Reverend" Matt Hale of the "World Church of the Creator" is an apt one?

I do not think anyone is comparing you to these types of outrageous views.  I do concur with the point he was trying to make that often information found on the internet, to include this site, could be detrimental to the persons using it and to others.  The point is, if you really believe a criminal could avoid detection, then you do not care that you could with enable criminals to continue to re-offend.  The news has been dominated recently by a murderer who had been previously acquitted for other child sex assault offenses.  And thus he was free to rape and kill a five year old.  Don't think polygraph was involved in the previous investigation in this case, but you seek to provide all persons, to include felons, with a possible tool to wrongfully obtain exculpatory evidence.  Doubt it will work, but that is an ethical flaw, from where I sit, regardless of what good intentions you claim.

Perhaps Polycop did not actually mean to liken me to Matt Hale of the "World Church of the Creator," though if such were the case, he made an unfortunate choice for his analogy...

The ethical choice we've made in making polygraph countermeasure information publicly available is that the resultant good will outweigh the bad. It seems that you and I attribute different weights to the harm being done to innocent people as a result of reliance on polygraphy, harm that I and others associated with this website have experienced firsthand. You seem to downplay that harm. In the words of William Shakespeare, "He jests at scars, that never felt a wound."

That CQT polygraphy has no grounding in the scientific method, but is instead a pseudoscientific fraud in the same league as phrenology and graphology, is also an important factor in my ethical considerations.

I'm in complete agreement with what Drew wrote above on this topic. The end of stopping the victimization of innocent polygraph examinees and the risking of the national security via the utilization of polygraph screening techniques justifies the means we are using to bring that end to pass.

Let's move on...

Quote:
I would also address this assertion:
The fact that the American Polygraph Association quarterly, Polygraph, in its 30-year history, has not published a single article detailing such a methodology, and that no one in the polygraph community has had the courage to step up to Drew Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge (174 days and counting) strongly suggests that that community has no reliable method for detecting such countermeasures, and knows that to accept Dr. Richardson's challenge would expose their inability to detect countermeasures.

To answer such challenges or publish such material in public periodicals would obviously provide new information for counter-counter-countermeasures (and the process would become as redundant and tedious as that sounds).

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Polygraph has published articles that might be considered quite sensitive, including a detailed description of the screening procedure used by the National Security Agency. The more plausible explanation for Polygraph never having published any article detailing any methodology for the detection of sophisticated countermeasures is that none exists.

Note that with regard to Drew Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge, there would be no need for any polygrapher accepting the challenge to divulge the method by which the countermeasures were detected.

Quote:
You also said:
You had earlier written that "usually NDI results eliminates [sic] the examinee as a suspect." Are you now acknowledging that passing a polygraph "test" cannot reliably eliminate an examinee as a suspect? And with regard to DI (deception indicated) outcomes, what do you think of Len Harrelson's claim that without a confession, polygrams are just polygrams?

An NDI would eliminate suspicion altogether in cases where little else is available to suggest guilt.  For example a "he said, she said" sex assault where neither accused or accuser is more credible.  Other evidence would not be ignored however in any case. That was my point.  Thorough investigation is the key.  For me a confession is the end all, since where I work, the charts are not admissible in court.  A question I'd ask you, perhaps for another thread, do you oppose obtaining of confessions or accepted interrogation techniques?

I would suggest, for the reasons explained in Chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, that CQT polygraph chart readings have no diagnostic value whatsoever.

Quote:
And finally in reference to this:
On a final note, I'd be interested in your views on what I think is one of the most important issues you raised. You suggested that a subject's failure to pass means that he is withholding information that he believes is relevant.

Perhaps it is not a good scientific study, but my experience has proven that most of my inconclusive exams, and some of my DI exams, end in post test admissions ammounting to less than the offense being investigated.  After these admissions, an NDI second series often follows corroborating both the admissions (and my assertion).

You're absolutely right that what you describe above is not a good scientific study. For example, you (presumably) systematically exclude from your sampling those who pass, since they don't get "post-test" interrogations. If you interrogated those who pass, too, you might get a similar number of "admissions amounting to less than the offense being investigated."

Your notion that those who fail to pass must be withholding information they believe to be relevant has no rational basis, and, to the best of my knowledge, has not been borne out empirically through peer-reviewed scientific research. Again, I suggest that great harm can result from this seemingly widespread delusion held by members of the polygraph community.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2002 at 10:47am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2002 at 9:08pm
I believe we are talking past each other here in some respects, and should define the debate a bit more.  As we know, there are polygraph screening exams, and specific incident exams.  

In screening exams, where the base rate is so low, I think it's clear that for every guilty person the polygraph accuses (and thus excludes from employment, or investigates as a spy), many more innocent people will suffer.  The reality is that the polygraph has not caught any spies (arguably, and very generously to the polygraph, one or two), but we know that at least hundreds have been unfairly excluded from employment, and hundreds within the CIA have had their careers ruined by false accusations from polygraph screenings (see, e.g. Gabriel Schoenfeld's response--scroll down-- to my letter in Commentary Magazine http://www.commentarymagazine.com/letters.htm#C.)  And spies have passed the polygraph, the polygraph serving as an "enabler" of their spying.  Countermeasures in this context seem entirely justified to protect the innocent.

Specific incident examinations present a different context.  My guess is that most of the subjects appearing in the polygraph chambers of Public Servant and Polycop are there because prior investigation legitimately cast suspicion on them (assuming prior investigation was not a polygraph screening exam).  In this context, the base rate is enormously higher.  Depending on the quality of the investigation leading up to these polygraph exams, perhaps 75% of them are guilty, and it is in the public's interest to have these people locked up.  A confession serves that purpose.  In a perfect world, we would not want these people to be using countermeasures, but, alas, as Drew states, the rain falls on both the wicked and the righteous.  And why should many innocent people suffer in order that guilty people not have a particluar tool, which, if employed, will not exonerate them, but only force law enforcement to attempt to obtain a confession and/or convict them through other means, whereas for the innocent accused, the polygraph is determinative?

All of which leads me to a first step, interim solution: polygraph screenings should be abolished.  They don't work, and never have.  The polygraph community should distance themselves from it (some already have, e.g. Honts, Raskin, I believe JB too) in order to establish some credibility.

If that is accomplished (even if it is not), the National Academy of Sciences should undertake a scientific look at specific incident polygraphs, and our debates here can exclude screenings.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #37 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 10:01am
Mark,

Bravo.  At last, I do see the criminal investigator shining through.  I would agree that the more specific the issue, the more effective polygraph is (which goes back to my assertion of withholding information deemed relevant, since broader questions cover more seemingly ambiguous material).  I would argue that polygraph is very effective in criminal investigation, especially when accompanied by thorough investigation (accomplished before the examination) and good professional oversight.  I would also argue that criminal specific examinations are less susceptible to countermeasures.  While you might be able to enhance reaponse to controls (regardless if it looks natural or not), you can NOT eliminate response to relevant questions.  And guarenteed, a felon is going to respond to the relevant questions!  --Unfortunately, I probably just gave George a sigh of relief regarding the ethical issues I raised.

While I would not agree that screeening should be abolished, I would agree that there are many more variables in that environment.  Not my area of interest, and hope to never end up there.  However, I think it is still a useful tool.  Adjudicators need to look at the totality of the background invetigation, not just the exam, and ensure they keep the examination results in context.  Again, the results of the exam, especially an inconclusive, should not be the determining factor alone.  You would likely be surprised how many felons, spies, and even terrorists are identified (and confess) after screening exams.  The ones I know of are NOT public information -- something I'm sure you understand.  Of course its hearsay, obviously not my personal experience.

That's all I will say about screening since it is not may area of expertise.  So the bad news is that I may run out of things to comment on, since the focus seems to be on screening exams.  

George reference:
"He jests at scars, that has not felt a wound."

Perhaps I have not felt the wound that you believe you have as a result of polygraph.  But I know that if I had, I would not be on some crusade to help anyone and everyone pass a polygraph.  So the fact that you did not get a job justifies seeking to help anyone to include felons, beat poly. Seems a bit shaky to me, but I am willing to agree to disagree.  That horse is dead by this point I'd say.

Final word would be advice to the innocent coming into my office.  Don't risk making yourself look guilty by getting caught using countermeasures.  I work hard to ensure the results come out correctly.  I do not have time to waste doing a post test interview on someone who is not guilty, and thus I have nothing to gain from getting DI or Inc results from an innocent person.  I also do not have time to waste trying to determine why someone claiming to be innocent is sabotaging his own chance at exhoneration with countermeasures.  For those seeking advice for screening exams, I'm sure the screening community would share these views.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2002 at 3:20pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 11:20am
Public Servant,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
I would also argue that criminal specific examinations are less susceptible to countermeasures.  While you might be able to enhance reaponse to controls (regardless if it looks natural or not), you can NOT eliminate response to relevant questions.  And guarenteed, a felon is going to respond to the relevant questions!

How can you know that a felon is going to necessarily respond significantly to the relevant questions? You cannot know this.

And how can you know that the innocent suspect, fearful the consequences of not being believed regarding the accusatory relevant questions, will not respond significantly when truthfully answering them? Again, you cannot know this.

Quote:
Perhaps I have not felt the wound that you believe you have as a result of polygraph.  But I know that if I had, I would not be on some crusade to help anyone and everyone pass a polygraph.  So the fact that you did not get a job justifies seeking to help anyone to include felons, beat poly. Seems a bit shaky to me, but I am willing to agree to disagree.  That horse is dead by this point I'd say.

Perhaps its worth noting that for several years after I became a victim of polygraph screening, I kept my silence. I researched polygraphy and understood that it is a pseudoscientific fraud, but I did absolutely nothing about it. It was only after discovering the magnitude of the false positive problem, and realizing that many more persons are being victimized than I had previously imagined, that I felt compelled to take a public stance against polygraph screening (including providing countermeasure information so that the innocent may protect themselves against this kind of abuse).

Quote:
Final word would be advice to the innocent coming into my office.  Don't risk making yourself look guilty by getting caught using countermeasures....

My final word of advice to the innocent (as well as the guilty) would be not to come into your office at all to be polygraphed in the context of any criminal or administrative investigation. This advice is also found in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2002 at 11:45am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 3:16pm
Public_Servant,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
...While I would not agree that screening should be abolished, I would agree that there are many more variables in that environment.  Not my area of interest, and hope to never end up there.  However, I think it is still a useful tool.  Adjudicators need to look at the totality of the background investigation, not just the exam, and ensure they keep the examination results in context...

I maintain the following:  It is not sufficient to let your colleagues in the screening world do as they wish based on the hearsay passed on to you, nor to continue to figuratively scratch their back while they scratch yours.  This “test” is not a function of the good intentions nor or the professionalism of the examiner performing it.  Neither will overcome the error associated with this nonsense.  Polygraph error in this realm is not a function of individual malpractice but the total hucksterism associated with the application itself.  It is neither a tool (except in the sense of a wrecking ball or a dull meat cleaver) nor is it useful in any clearly demonstrable sense other than as a full-employment aid to the polygraph community.  Polygraph people need to understand that this application is completely theoretically unsound and for the time being largely causes serious harm in the realm of and to applicant examinees.   Mark Mallah, to whom you addressed your last reply, will be glad to let you know about the error that occurs in the world of counterintelligence screening as well.

I maintain that unless you, specific-issue polygrapher, remove this cancer from your midst, that you too will be eventually touched by it.  And to the same, it is not enough to wash your hands of the matter and say let the adjudicators take care of it.  As you are undoubtedly aware, the Bureau and various other groups end an applicant process with a deceptive polygraph examination without any investigative corroboration.  There is no meaningful adjudication and you cannot pass such a suggestion off to the victims of this site with a clear conscience.   

You mention this being a test with "many more variables".  That sounds very academic.  I am an academic and have a serious appreciation for such.  The truth of the matter is that all such variables lead one to conclude that this "test" is unsound and nonsense at best and, more likely and unacceptably, the cause of great harm justified with various imagined and contrived benefits.  You are your brother's keeper, specific-issue polygrapher--do what you can to end this foolishness--if not, you share the responsibility for these victims' plight (which is anything but academic to them) and, no doubt, will eventually pay the price for your complicity.  Regards,

Drew Richardson

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #40 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 3:41pm
George, 

I'm not blowing off the rest of your last post, I just think we will never come to agreement regarding whether the posting of countermeasure techniques is ethical.  Further coverage would amount to simple banter.

However, regarding the last advice you provided, which I have also read in both editions, leads me back to an earlier question I posed.  Do you think it is wrong for interviews to be conducted to elicit admissions from criminal suspects who have waived their rights?  And, beyond that, is it wrong to conduct specific issue polygraphs on persons who consent (and often request it)?  Your advice makes you sound as if you are either a defense attorney afraid to inherit a case he cannot win, or someone who opposes the suspect interview altogether--another excellent, accepted tool for resolving criminal investigations. 

Also, George, I want you and the others to know I am not making light of your situations (taking your word that you should have been NDI).  Not to be cocky or condescending, but being confident in my ability to properly apply the technique, I believe that had I (or poly cop, I would venture), been your first examiner you would have been NDI, if you really were not withholding relevant information.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2002 at 4:24pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #41 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 3:56pm
Public Servant,

I have no in-principle objection to law enforcement officers interrogating suspects. However, I do believe that as a safeguard against abuse (or any allegation of abuse), all such interrogations, including those involving polygraphs, should be videotaped, or at least audiotaped, from beginning to end, and that a copy of the tape should be provided to the interogee on demand.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #42 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 4:12pm
Drew,

Just to set the record straight (forgive me if there was sarcasm intended and I missed it) I have not yet attained sufficient formal education to be considered an academic (as was pointed out by Latin 101 at the beginning of this thread).  Someday perhaps.

I comprehend what you are saying, but convincing me that polygraph has absolutely no place in screening, in any form, will be as successful as any attempts on my part to get you to embrace polygraph as a whole.  But then as I said, screening is not my area of expertise.

Would I be correct to say that you do not oppose specific issue use of the polygraph?  I have seen you seemingly support the GKT on past postings.  Do other formats have a legitimate use in specific issue testing (to include CQT), in your opinion?  I'd like to hear your honest opinions, not just the party line (as you implored me to step away from).   

Lastly, do you believe any method of detecting deception will ever be developed that will meet your standards for all of the uses of today's polygraph?  I'm not talking about VSA, either. -- Either other methods of the using the polygraph or methods monitoring brain activity.  I'm sure you have become familiar with many of the developing technolgies and techniques.  I'd like to know if you, or others oppose the purpose of the polygraph all together, or just oppose it on the basis of accuracy and validity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: A word or two from the
Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 4:12pm
Public Servant wrote on Jul 26th, 2002 at 10:01am:
Final word would be advice to the innocent coming into my office.  Don't risk making yourself look guilty by getting caught using countermeasures.  I work hard to ensure the results come out correctly.  I do not have time to waste doing a post test interview on someone who is not guilty, and thus I have nothing to gain from getting DI or Inc results from an innocent person.  I also do not have time to waste trying to determine why someone claiming to be innocent is sabotaging his own chance at exhoneration with countermeasures.  For those seeking advice for screening exams, I'm sure the screening community would share these views.

1. Here is quintessential Public_Servant hubris. Hey, listen up:

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO COMES THROUGH YOUR DOOR IS, AS A MATTER OF LAW, INNOCENT. You call yourself a public servant? Well, I'm the public, so start serving me by understanding that simple Constitutional fact. Unless you are interrogating a felon about the incident for which he has already been convicted, the man sitting in your chair is INNOCENT. I'm not saying he or she hasn't commited the criminal acts, I'm saying for the purposes of your polygraph interrogation that person is innocent until proven guilty, deemed so by a jury of his peers in a court of law.

Innocence or guilt, as a matter of law, is proven in a COURT OF LAW, not in your polygraph chair. Since the vast majority of courts have ruled that polygraph results are not admissable, the only reason you exist as a polygrapher is as a sort of 'super interrogator', in which case those who have actually commited the crimes to which they are suspect are absolutely protected against self-incrimination and would be well-advised to understand the trickery and deceit you regularly employ as this super interrogator, whether you like it or not. Innocent suspects are well-advised to understand the trickery and deceit you regularly employ as this super interrogator, whether you like it or not.

Lastly, why have you repeatedly made reference to those examinees whom you have caught using countermeasures and yet will not offer up one scintilla of proof as to who they are, what countermeasures they used, and how you detected those countermeasures? Since you won't answer the question directly, I am forced to ask WHY won't you answer? Can it be that you cannot detect countermeasures, that your assertions otherwise are lies, and this is all a desperate attempt to save the ruination of your power and career?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #44 - Jul 26th, 2002 at 4:41pm
Beech Trees,

Wow, as usual a post with rather hostile overtones. However, you are correct, each person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.  And if you really understand my posts, you would see that I firmly believe that the court, not the exam, is the deciding factor in guilt.  And...many of the persons walk out of my office with more support for their claim of innocence.

SUPER -- gee, thanks.

You might have been a "victim" of an incorrect polygraph result, but you have obviously never been a victim of crime.  You would like to empower felons with knowledge to help them get away with their crimes -- not just on the subject of polygraph, but all attempts to obtain the truth?!  Every suspect interview I've done, the person has been advised of his rights.  And in a poly, he gets a second advisement of his right to refuse.  And you want to put up more blocks to law enforcement?!

I think I sufficiently addressed why specifics on detecting countermeasures are not discussed.  And I think you will see, I have not claimed to be able to catch all countermeasures, just that I have done so.

I know this will raise your BP, and it's off topic, but... why is your flag yellow?   I have seen various renditions of this flag, but I do not recall it in yellow.  It's almost offensive to my patriotic soul.  Does the color mean anything or are the colors to choose from, limited.  I really want to know, I'm not just pulling your chain.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
A word or two from the "other side"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X