Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A word or two from the "other side" (Read 52382 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: A word or two from the "other side"
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 2:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mark,

You write in part:

Quote:
...the main issue here is the accuracy of the polygraph....If the polygraph people are correct that the true accuracy rate (absent countermeasures) is akin to a urine test, a DNA test, or the like, then you are correct that countermeasures should not be promoted, just as we would not teach a druggie how to beat a urine test...

You are quite correct and your logic is flawless.  As one (perhaps one of the few in the country) who has both conducted a polygraph exam and a urinalysis exam, I can tell you that there is absolutely no, and I repeat, no comparison between the two in terms of underlying theory, scientific control, accuracy, and reliability.  The very well understood principles of chemistry and physics that make urinalysis possible also make this form of analysis superior in every regard to control question (CQT)  polygraphy (and particularly so in a screening context).  To even mention the two together in similar contexts is a great disservice to those who perform these routine but valuable examinations that are an integral  part of clinical medicine and forensic toxicology.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 5:56am
Drew,

Thanks for your comments, and for pointing out the scientific chasm between polygraphy and urine tests. 

Quote:
The very well understood principles of chemistry and physics that make urinalysis possible also make this form of analysis superior in every regard to control question (CQT)  polygraphy (and particularly so in a screening context).  To even mention the two together in similar contexts is a great disservice to those who perform these routine but valuable examinations that are an integral  part of clinical medicine and forensic toxicology.

My aim in mentioning the two in the same context was not to compare them as peers, but to distinguish the two (i.e. I knew urine tests; they were a friend of mine; polygraphy, you're no urine test), and to say to polygraphy that IF you should prove yourself as worthy as urine tests (which it has not to date), then we should stop encouraging polygraph countermeasures, just as there is no need for countermeasures on urine tests.

Sorry that did not come through clearer, and I hope this clarifies my original point.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 8:42am
Mark,

No one here advocates torture and if you could see my interviews you would see it is very much the opposite.  In the same vein, you can not seriously say that polygraph has a 10 to 1 failure rate.  And in most cases a polygraph alone is hardly the end all in an investigation.

You speak of a handful of victims of false positives and a handful of false negatives.  While each and every case is a big deal and perhaps tragic in its own right, it pales in comparison to the many success stories (both NDI and DI).  I wish I could share with you many of the success stories, but obviously each case is at a minimum held in confidentiality.  If it could be possible, I would love to have you spend a few weeks observing my exams and seeing the results.  I'm sure the cop in you would see the usefulness when you saw this investigative tool applied properly.  That is the key, proper application and oversight by the agency utilizing polygraph.

Here is the bottom line of where I take issue with this site:
If the creators of the site really believe the countermeasure methods they endorse would work regardless of the situation, then they believe it is worth assisting murderers, rapists, terrorists and the like, in pursuit of their goal of ensuring no one has to endure a screening polygraph again.  A long stretch for avenging a lost employment opportunity-- to do so at the risk of allowing these people to  continue to offend.  Also seems immoral to influence a person who is innocent, or withholding non-incriminating (or non-eliminating) information into using countermeasures.  When they are caught it renders further suspicion upon them and compromises their integrity.

Ultimately, if you want to stop the negative effects of the few false positives or inconclusive exams, work ethically and constructively.  Call for reform and new methods, but do not attempt to assist criminals, spies, or terrorists; or compromise the integrity of otherwise innocent persons.

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2002 at 9:05am by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 9:18am
Quote:

Drew,

Thanks for your comments, and for pointing out the scientific chasm between polygraphy and urine tests. 

My aim in mentioning the two in the same context was not to compare them as peers, but to distinguish the two (i.e. I knew urine tests; they were a friend of mine; polygraphy, you're no urine test), and to say to polygraphy that IF you should prove yourself as worthy as urine tests (which it has not to date), then we should stop encouraging polygraph countermeasures, just as there is no need for countermeasures on urine tests.

Sorry that did not come through clearer, and I hope this clarifies my original point.

Mark,

Actually, you made it perfectly clear that polygraph "tests" and urine tests are not comparable when you wrote, "If the polygraph people are correct that the true accuracy rate (absent countermeasures) is akin to a urine test, a DNA test, or the like, then you are correct that countermeasures should not be promoted, just as we would not teach a druggie how to beat a urine test."

It was Polycop who had earlier analogized the two when he/she wrote:

Quote:
George, one thing that you and I are in agreement about is that the Internet is indeed a powerful information tool.  As you know, there are websites dedicated to all sorts of things.  In fact, just last night, I found websites that taught me how to "beat" a urinaylsis test.  The position of the folks on that site is that the urinaylsis test is an unconstitutional invasion of privacy and therefore they are "justified" in providing that information.  (Remember that, next time you get on an airplane wondering if the pilot "beat" his urinaylsis test.)

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 11:18am
Public Servant,

I'd like to comment on a number of things you wrote above. In your reply to "Ref" you wrote:

Quote:
And, yes many of the opponents of polygraph are Phd's and PsyD.'s.  They have good perspective in the inability to establish ground truth in such research.  However, many of the strongest proponents of polygraph have are psychology professionals.  They also have good perspective on what good psychological research is in comparison to say physics research.  And they see the success it has had over the years.  The word most often used is robust.  And the practice has been around for the better part of a century and continues to develop based on sound research.

The majority view amongst the relevant scientific community is that "control" question "test" (CQT) polygraphy is not based on scientifically sound psychological principles or theory. And there is virtual unanimity amongst them that the CQT can be beaten by augmenting one's responses to the "control" questions.

That polygraphy has been around for the better part of a century does not speak to its validity: the pseudoscience of phrenology survived well over a century.

And while you say that polygraphy "continues to develop based on sound research," the fact remains that CQT polygraphy is completely lacking in any genuine, standardization and control, which are prerequisites for a scientifically sound diagnostic test. (As Drew mentioned, there is no comparison between a polygraph "test" and a urinalysis test in terms of underlying theory, scientific control, accuracy, and reliability, which is a point he expanded on in his discussion of scientific control and polygraphy at the 17 October 2001 public meeting of the National Academy of Sciences' polygraph review committee.)

You also wrote to "Ref":

Quote:
The argument that this practice of polygraph much stop because a few people may be adversely affected is like saying we must not enforce laws because we risk arresting the wrong person.  Or we need to end our national defense program because we risk hurting persons other than our enemies.  We live in a less than perfect world -- at least at this time -- so we must prioritize and do the best we can.

It's more than a few people who are being adversely affected by polygraphy: it's many thousands, every year, especially applicants for law enforcement and national security positions. And I think it could be argued that the entire U.S. population is adversely affected by our government's faith in the pseudoscience of polygraphy when double agents like Czech spy Karel F. Kocher, Soviet spy Aldrich H. Ames, Chinese spy Larry Wu-tai Chin, and Cuban spy Ana Belen Montes easily "pass" while innocent persons like Mark Mallah and CTR1 Daniel M. King become the targets of Kafkaesque espionage investigations simply because they "failed to pass." Our reliance on polygraphy, especially polygraph screening, is undermining, not enhancing, our national security.

Addressing me, you wrote:

Quote:
I think poly cop did an excellent job of addressing the issue of ethics here.  It's not that we believe you will be successful in training someone to beat us, but if you believe you can...
I'd like to believe that someone of your background and obvious education would have thought through this whole thing a little more. Enough said.

Do you really believe that Polycop's analogy comparing me with "Reverend" Matt Hale of the "World Church of the Creator" is an apt one? After visiting that organization's website and actually listening to Hale's latest "sermon," I find Polycop's analogy even more outrageous.

You also wrote:

Quote:
I will now address your question: "If the results are NDI (no deception indicated), how do you know that the subject did not simply lie and use countermeasures?"

First of all it would be silly for anyone in the poly community to tell you how we identify countermeasures.  Would anyone in the intelligence community provide an al Qaeda member information on how we collect intelligence.  We adjust to the Doug Williams and George Maschke's as they arise, but to tell you how would only escalate the race.  It would be ridiculous, you have countermeasures, now we develop counter-counter measures, and then you counter- counter-countermeasures and so on. We are not going to help you out.  Unfortunately we are advesaries on this topic.  (Perhaps we could find common ground elsewhere -- over a beer after I retire.)

When I asked how you can tell if a subject who passes used countermeasures or not, I didn't mean to ask you to reveal any trade secrets. I know the polygraph community frequently claims to have the ability to detect countermeasures of the kind described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, but there is no convincing evidence that you have any better-than-chance method for detecting such countermeasures. The fact that the American Polygraph Association quarterly, Polygraph, in its 30-year history, has not published a single article detailing such a methodology, and that no one in the polygraph community has had the courage to step up to Drew Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge (174 days and counting) strongly suggests that that community has no reliable method for detecting such countermeasures, and knows that to accept Dr. Richardson's challenge would expose their inability to detect countermeasures.

I'd also note that the answer to your question, "Would anyone in the intelligence community provide an al Qaeda member information on how we collect intelligence?" is, regrettably, "Yes." For example, senior NSA officials showed off NSA's electronic eavesdropping capabilities to high-ranking visitors (who had absolutely no need to know) by playing intercepts of Osama bin Ladin's satellite telephone conversations with his mother in Syria. As a result of NSA's willfull mishandling of highly classified information, news of this capability eventually leaked, and bin Ladin stopped using the satellite phone.

Of course, your point is that intelligence sources and methods should be protected. I would agree with you that there are indeed sources and methods that should legitimately be kept secret. But it's worth bearing in mind that virtually nothing about polygraphy is secret, as I pointed out recently in an appeal of the Defense Security Service's decision not to release portions of DoDPI's polygraph handbook under the Freedom of Information Act.

It is perhaps worth noting here that the Al Qa'idah organization has studied polygraph countermeasures.

You also wrote:

Quote:
Suffice to say, there is no 100% way to know that an NDI was not resulting from countermeasures.  However, I have caught them before, and I use methods to prevent, disrupt, and identify countermeasures.  I've never read an account of  one of my tests on this site in which someone was bragging about having "beaten" the test.  In fact, I see very few of such posts in comparison to the number of visitors to this site and the number of exams conducted every day.

Not only is there no 100% way to know that an NDI was not the result of countermeasures, there is no better-than-chance way to know this. It's not surprising that no criminals have posted to this message board bragging about having beaten the polygraph. (Why do you put "beaten" in quotation marks, as if the polygraph can't really be beaten?) Such persons would have nothing to gain from such behavior. In the vast majority of cases where a suspect beats a polygraph "test," the polygrapher will never know.

Quote:
However, you might, perhaps, be good enough to get one by me.  There are other methods of verifying an NDI, both by examiner and case investigator.  Suffice to say that an NDI does not automatically stop an investigation and preponderence of evidence will decide what investigative findings are reported. And ultimately the prosecutor will decide if there is PC to proceed with prosecution, insufficient evidence, or reason to unfound.  This will be done based on ALL evidence available.  Bottom line is that nearly ALL of my NDI exams (as well as my DIs) have been supported by thorough investigation.

Which answers to your assertion that confessions delude examiners.  Any good investigator (not just examiner) looks for good investigative corroboration of findings before making investigative conclusions.  No piece of evidence proves anything in a vaccuum. Any good agency ensures that thorough investigation precedes and follows examinations, regardless of results.  It's not questioning the validity of polygraph, it's just good police work.

You had earlier written that "usually NDI results eliminates [sic] the examinee as a suspect." Are you now acknowledging that passing a polygraph "test" cannot reliably eliminate an examinee as a suspect? And with regard to DI (deception indicated) outcomes, what do you think of Len Harrelson's claim that without a confession, polygrams are just polygrams?

I think perhaps you've missed the point regarding how confessions mislead polygraphers regarding their ability to detect deception... It is not surprising that nearly all of your NDI exams have been "supported" by thorough investigation. If there were compelling evidence against a suspect, there would have been little need for a polygraph "test" in the first place. It's hardly surprising that most who pass the polygraph are never proven guilty.

Quote:
Lastly, to believe that huge responses to certain questions slightly overtaking a nearly as significant consistent response to relevant issues will absolutely tell the examiner someone is truthful, shows only a basic understanding of analysis of CQT exams -- not a clear grasp on the theory of psychological set.  Suffice to say a well trained, experienced examiner not only understands it, but knows what it looks like in its pure form.  You do this enough, you usually see when something's not quite right.  See the earlier portion of this post to explain why I will not expound.

The "theory of psychological set" in the context of CQT polygraphy, a notion promoted by Cleve Backster, is something that has been discussed at length in the open polygraph literature.

On a final note, I'd be interested in your views on what I think is one of the most important issues you raised. You suggested that a subject's failure to pass means that he is withholding information that he believes is relevant. As I've explained above, I think this notion is an extremely dangerous delusion. Could you (or anyone else) explain the basis for your belief? How do you know that a subject's failure to pass means that he is withholding information that he believes is relevant, and not simply that he is more concerned about the consequences of not being believed with regard to the relevant questions than with regard to the "control" questions?

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2002 at 1:44pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: A word or two from the
Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 5:13pm
Public Servant wrote on Jul 15th, 2002 at 4:50pm:
You will obviously infer that I am one of practitioners of polygraph, so often labeled as evil on this site.

Setting the record straight: Not by me, not any other [antipolygraphy] poster whom I can recall. Gee, not even a paragraph in and the defamatory lies have begun. Does this bode well for the rest of your post? To reiterate, no one from the anti-polygraph community on this board has ever called a polygrapher 'evil'.

Quote:
The most passionate contributors to this site often throw around the word ad hominem to describe the pro-polygraph views posted.

No, we use the term 'ad hominem' to describe the specious retorts, character attacks, harsh invective, and generally childish taunts and jibes the pro-polygraph community uses on this board in lieu of actual 'views' on the questions raised on this board. When an actual viewpoint is given it is met with logical debate.

Quote:
Polygraph examiners are called uneducated, dishonest, greedy, authoritarian, unethical, idiotic...   So, this finger pointing using latin  learned in pre-law 101 is equal to:
Kettle this is Pot, message over.
Pot this is kettle, send message, over.
You're black, out.

Uneducated: I don't recall anyone ever labeling their polygraph interrogator uneducated here, although the sweeping observations have been made that one does not need a college degree in order to enroll in an eight week course in polygraphy. If you wish to label someone who lacks a college degree but has passed an eight week course 'educated', I suppose that's your business. Obviously observations about someone's education must be made on an individual basis-- my own polygraph interrogators were both well educated, scholastically speaking, and were both very experienced polygraphers.

Dishonest: Insofar as polygraphers lie before, during, and after a polygraph interrogation about the nature of the test and often as well as the results of the test, yes polygraphers are dishonest. 

Quote:
Secondly, while we are discussing the rules of intellectual argument...you argue from the general to the specific to prove a point, not specific to general.  That is called stereotyping, or just plain prejudice.  My point is that the assertion that "my polygrapher did me wrong so they must all be a bunch of boorish pigs," is not a valid argument.

I don't recall anyone making such an argument. It's important to point out the horrendous stories of abuse of power found in the Personal Statements section of this website, however. For me, 'critical mass' has long since been reached and I am quite comfortable condemning the profession of polygraphy in toto.

Quote:
I'm basically telling you to can the fingerpointing BS and get on to the substance and thus I will do the same.  I will try to stick to mere facts or my own personal beliefs of such.

When fingerpointing achieves my goals of the abolishment of polygraphy and the air of legitimacy it now enjoys, I will point all I want, as vigorously as possible.

Quote:
The fact is, examiners have nothing to gain from your passing or failing.

Are you asserting that a polygrapher's reputation is not borne upon the number of confessions he or she elicits?

Quote:
A false positive is what I least want since I would not get a confession from an innocent person (I'm good, but not that good) and thus would be unable to reolve a felony investigation.

You completely dismiss here the phenomena of false confessions.

Quote:
This is why we work so hard to ensure proper results, an effort you most criticize here (ie the pre-test).

Is it a critisism to merely point out the true nature of the pre-test interview is (among other things) to jack up the nerves of the examinee? Is it a criticism to point out the simple and complex lies polygraphers as a whole spew during the pre-test interview?

Quote:
The examination.  This will get you licking your lips I'm sure.  Sorry, I'm not going to get in to validity or accuracy here.  I'll just say it's much better than chance.

Ok, I'll just say it's no better than chance. You're welcome to prove your assertion.

Quote:
Lastly the examinee.  Some may actually think into it too much or be overly emotional, know too much, or just be plain unsuitable physically or psychologically.

So if one is too intellectual or introspective, too passionate, too well-educated, or most incredibly, built physically improperly or mentally 'unsuitable', the polygraph won't work? Gee, is there anyone in the US populace who DOESN'T belong in one of the above-cited demographics? And would a potential polygraph examinee get a pass on his polygraph interrogation if he laid claim to one or more of the characteristics you mention above? Or, would you simply conclude he or she was 'trying to hide something' and thus heighten your suspicions of that person, further prejudicing the examination?

Quote:
But overall, the problem one has with passing is withholding information he feels is relevant.  Many an inconclusive exam has turned into an NDI on second series, after an admission of some small tidbit is revealed.  I took an exam and was bordering on the feelings of this site, angered that I would have to reveal transgressions of my youth.  But I did it, and as you know, some of the things the examiner did not want to know, but I made him suffer through it.

If the examiner did not want to know, then why did it have some bearing on the outcome of your exam? Also, do you derive comfort from knowing that even after your confessions, your polygrapher still assumes you're lying?

Quote:
The nicest thing he did was to "lie" to me and ensure I could be seen as not being a criminal or a spy.

Thanks, but I'll pass on such benificent largess.

Quote:
Finally, rather than spending the vast resources of intellect and funds many of the contributors to this site exhibit, on bashing polygraph, why not spend them on trying to find something better.

Although it might be an intellectual strain on you to contribute here, I find it enjoyable, relaxing, and totally worth the time it takes to compose replies such as this one. By my count you are the third of fourth pro-polygraph contributor who has suggested we of the opposition direct our energies elsewhere. Now why would that be?

Quote:
Or at least push your government to find something better.  In these times your government is not going to eliminate its tools.  So why not help those in our profession (LE and intelligence) get better tools to protect your nation and your communities.

We're doing just that. As a counterintelligence screening tool, polygraphy is a thundering dud. Let me make this point extemely clear. Polygraphers bear part of the responsibility for the damage to our intelligence and military community as wrought by Ana Montes, Brian Regan, Robert Hansen, Aldrich Ames, etc. Think about that, Public Servant. Because your compatriots have sold a worthless bill of goods to our elected officials and the bureaucrats in charge, men and women have died as a result of your fraud. Innocent men and women have been falsely accused, their careers ruined and their personal lives destroyed while the *truly* guilty have escaped detection.

Quote:
Enough said here and don't be surprised if I don't respond to any of your responses -- I know I'll never convince most of the die hard contributors to this site regarding the usefulness of polygraph.  However, I will continue to enjoy reading the discussion on this site and will chime in if it gets interesting.

Welcome.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polycop

Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 5:16pm
Drew,

You wrote:

Quote:

...As one (perhaps one of the few in the country) who has both conducted a polygraph exam and a urinalysis exam, I can tell you that there is absolutely no, and I repeat, no comparison between the two in terms of underlying theory, scientific control, accuracy, and reliability...To even mention the two together in similar contexts is a great disservice to those who perform these routine but valuable examinations that are an integral  part of clinical medicine and forensic toxicology.

Drew,  I am afraid that Dale Gieringer, Ph.D., very much disagrees with you.  Now I know that this web-site is "Anti-polygraph.org and not "anti-whizquiz.org.  But I smile at the fact that all the anti urinalysis bozos make ALL the same arguments against drug testing that the people on this website make against polygraph.

Please read the following from Dr. Gieringer article: "A paper for the Drug Policy Foundation Published in "Strategies for Change: New Directions in Drug Policy (1992)" 

URINALYSIS: AN UNPROVEN TECHNOLOGY

"Despite the public support for drug testing, urinalysis is a remarkably unproven technology. Were urinalysis a life-saving new drug, it would have had to undergo years of painstaking premarket testing in order to meet FDA regulations, requiring it to be proven fully "safe and effective" in rigorous, double-blind studies. Yet the fact is that urinalysis has been imposed on millions of American workers involuntarily without so much as a single scientifically controlled study to show that it is a safe or effective means of promoting workplace safety...."

I just LOVE his statement, "urinalysis has been imposed on millions of American workers involuntarily without so much as a single scientifically controlled study to show that it is a safe or effective means of promoting workplace safety."

SOUND FAMILIAR???????

How about "False Positives"?  Yep, it seems that is a problem too:

"...The important question remains whether false positives may be caused by lab error. Early surveys of drug testing labs reported remarkably high error rates. However, industry and government have taken steps to insure against false positives for the sake of public credibility and liability...given the profusion of unregulated labs, higher error rates may well be common. It should be noted that even if false positives occur in as few as one in 100,000 tests, hundreds of Americans per year can expect to be falsely branded as illicit drug users."

Oh my God!  Does that mean that innocent people might be unfairly accused?  Quick, we better call for the complete ban of all Urinalysis tests!!!

The good doctor also freely discusses Uninalysis countermeasures.  Please read from the same article:

"A more reliable, if ethically dubious, way to foil urine tests is to furtively tamper with the sample. One popular trick is to adulterate the sample with one of a number of household products that are known to interfere with the common EMIT test so as to produce a false negative for marijuana. (10) Popular adulterants include detergent, salt, bleach and Drano crystals, which can be concealed under the fingernails. However, such substances may be detectable by sight or smell by diligent lab technicians. A more sophisticated, less easily detected adulterant is currently sold on lthe underground market. (11) and has been proven to be quite reliable at producing false negatives for marijuana (the manufacturer was compelled to move operations when the Texas legislature passed a bill outlawing sale of urine adulterants)."

Gee, innocent unfairly accused?  The guilty able to get away by using countermeasures?  You know George Maschke was quite insulted when I compared this site to any one of the hundreds of anti-urinaylsis sites, opting instead to compare himself to some genious who invented a cryptologic algorithm (Now that's a surprise).  Nonetheless, I believe the comparison is still alot closer to the "Ban the piss-tests" sites.  After all, if it walks like a duck.....

Polycop

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 5:47pm
Polycop,

Clearly I take exception to that which you have quoted from Dr. Gieringer.  Urine screens can be used to screen thousands of substances that may be introduced into the body, obviously some screens performed more (depending on the nature and identity of the analyte) reliably than others.  Urine screening done properly (involving both screening and confirmatory examinations) is both extremely accurate and reliable.  For these reasons, critical decisions are made in hospital emergency rooms based on it and this evidence is routinely admitted in federal, state, and local courtrooms across the country.  In fact, unlike  polygraph examinations, which are widely believed to have little diagnostic value, I am not aware of any court which rejects forensic toxicological examinations in general and the results of urinalysis in particular.  

Furthermore, as a forensic toxicologist, both my colleagues and I were held to an extremely high standard that apparently does not apply to practitioners of CQT polygraphy.  If we were ever shown to have made a mistake that we testified to in court, our careers as forensic experts would have been over.  Polygraph mistakes are so routine as to result in no particular individual accountability with the usual polygraph-community answer being I wish we could show you all the good things we have done.  Again, I repeat, any comparisons (suggestions of similarity) between the accuracy, validity, and the degree to which the American public can trust the results of CQT polygraphy versus urinalysis are quite ludicrous and misleading.

I gather that you claim no particular knowledge about the subject you speak (urinalysis) and therefore any basis for making the comparisons you suggest/assert with CQT polygraphy.  I would be happy to discuss and/or debate this subject with any subject matter expert you might persuade to join this dialogue.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2002 at 2:30am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2002 at 6:48pm
Quote:
I do not have the time to research the entire message board right now, but I know that in the last several months I have read many posts by people who have openly admitted to having committed all sorts of criminal acts and were writing to you and others on this site to help them "beat" the polygraph in order to avoid detection and prosecution.  You and others on this site responded in each and every case. by helping these criminals.

I'm sorry, but I just can't find any posts like those to which you're referring above. At the most, various posters intent on a career in law enforcement have asked about various minor transgressions in their past that may or may not disqualify them from becoming officers of the law. The most alarming post I can recall was one fellow who had smoked marijuana as recently as six months prior to his post. Regardless, the 'party line' among the antipolygraph community when responding to those types of queries seems to be:

1. Be honest in your application about prior bad acts, or prior acts of malfeasance that would concern your employer.
2. Don't believe your polygrapher when he says honesty is enough to pass a polygraph.
2a. Because the results of a polygraph interrogation are wholey unreliable, use countermeasures to ensure an NDI result.

Quote:
In fact, at this very moment at least one of the message boards on this site has been completely taken over by registered sex offenders who are using this site to discuss stratigies to keep their ongoing exploitation of others (to include innocent children) beyond the abilities of the authorities to detect and deal with.

That is an outrageous, outlandish, and inflammatory lie polycop. Nowhere on this website do posters trade 'helpful hints' or strategy about how to exploit anyone. I invite you to use your customary tactic of torturing language, twisting meanings, and making blind inferences to prove otherwise-- Fiction seems to be an area in which you shine, so by all means step up to the plate and try to prove your above lies.

Quote:
You distance yourself from these goings on by claiming "Our purpose was certainly not to help criminals to get away with their crimes..."  That is much like the statements made by the leader of a well known white racist hate group, who after one of his most faithful followers killed numerous minorities said, "The church ...neither condones violence or unlawful activities, nor do we promote or incite them.” Yet that is EXACTLY what this leader condones and encourages.  He believes that by making that statement, he absolves himself of any liability.

To borrow a phrase from your fellow propolygrapher, Eastwood, "you suck" polycop. It was only a matter of time before your camp paraded out the Nazi hate playing card. Comparing the goals of the abolishment of polygraphy as a screening tool (and in many cases in its use as a criminal investigation tool) to those of a white supremacist is just vile.

Quote:
George, you are distancing yourself from the criminals your site draws, much like Hale does, but you are still KNOWINGLY providing tools that you and your followers BELIEVE will assist the GUILTY in escaping prosecution.

In adition to being hateful, prejudiced and inflammatory offal, this appears to me to be a admission tantamount that the types of countermeasures described in The Lie Behind The Lie Detector are undetectable, unbeatable, and powerful. Since you have argued repeatedly that is is easy to detect countermeasures, I must ask, are you lying now, or were you lying then? If countermeasures are so easily detected, as you have repeatedly boasted you have caught the 'swaggering misinformed' in the course of your work, whaddaya care what we espouse or advise?

Quote:
You justify your behavior by saying, "...the countermeasure information we provide here can only help criminals to the extent that government places any reliance on these pseudoscientific "tests.""

Your arguement therefore is, if a criminal (such as a sex offender) were to be able to successfully use your methods to escape detection and thereby be able to victimize others, you would feel no guilt or responsibility, because it was the government's "fault" for relying on the polygraph (that otherwise would have perhaps caught this criminal and prevented more victimization if it were not for the methods YOU taught him).

Again, you appear quite hypocritical in your wild accusations. 
If countermeasures are so easily detected, as you have said before, I ask you again, whaddaya care? If anything, I would think you would want guilty suspects to visit this site, attempt to use these atrociously transparent countermeasures, be caught by you and your ever-so-bright peers, and thus be even more intimidated into confessing their crimes.

Quote:
I found web sites that taught me how to ruin someone's credit, build a bomb, acquire guns, seduce small children, and get away with all these things.  In EVERY case, the sites completely justified their activities, much as you and your followers do.

All of the activities noted above, if engaged in, are already illegal, polycop. Do you blame match manufacturers for arson, or the arsonist? Do you blame lock and hinge manufacturers or the home invader who breaks the door down? Do you blame bullet makers or the criminal who shoots them into the bodies of others? Do you blame the makers of fertilizer or the bomber who uses it as an explosive agent? For that matter, do you hold The Department of Defense responsible for making public The Department of Defense Polygraph Institute Interview and Interrogation Handbook, thus enabling and empowering citizens to understand and avoid the linguistic traps interrogators use as part-and-parcel of their trade? Is the Department of Defense guilty-- civilly and criminally liable-- because criminals might read the manual and avoid detection during an interrogation?

Quote:
George, I am no lawyer, but I must believe there is civil and criminal case law out there that addresses injury caused by individuals who provide information that enables one to engage in, or escape detection from criminal activity that has victimized others.  In fact, I can think of several scenerios that would apply to the information provided on this site.

Laughable. For one who is so quick to challenge another's knowledge of the law, your dearth in knowledge of same is ludicrous.

Quote:
Anyway, just a little "food for thought."

I found it to be bland left-overs, reheated so often as to be completely unpalatable.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2002 at 8:31pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 1:12am
Public Servant,

Quote:
No one here advocates torture and if you could see my interviews you would see it is very much the opposite.  In the same vein, you can not seriously say that polygraph has a 10 to 1 failure rate.  And in most cases a polygraph alone is hardly the end all in an investigation.

It should be the case that the polygraph is not the end-all in an investigation.  If other aspects of an investigation reveal evidence, that, let's say, overwhelmingly contradicts the polygraph interpretation, then clearly the other evidence should prevail.  However, I believe the practice is the opposite.  As long as an individual has been deemed deceptive by the polygraph, no amount of contradictory evidence can shake off the polygraph finding.  It is touted as an investigative tool, but the practice is that it is an investigative determinant.  Not your fault, and maybe you believe it should be otherwise, but in my experience with the FBI (in my own case and the others I am aware of), that is the reality.  It is generally the investigative determinant with someone who "passes" too, because no further investigation will be conducted.

Agreed on torture, and I have no reason to believe that the examinations you administer are anything but professional.  You should be aware though, that many people on this site (myself included) have endured examiners who are abusive, insulting, mocking, and deliberately distort words to spin them into damaging admissions.  I believe this accounts for some of the passion displayed here.  Is it the case that these type of examinations are an aberration?  From what I know, I regrettably conclude otherwise.

On the failure rate: I am hoping that the NAS study clarifies this.  If anyone has any statistics on this, please let me know.  But be aware that David Raskin (a polygraph proponent) wrote in 1986 ("The Polygraph in 1986", Utah Law Review, I forgot the date but I can get it if you want) that with counterintelligence scope polygraph screenings, 89-96% of those found deceptive would be wrongly suspected.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 1:24pm
Polycop,

You wrote in part:

Quote:
Gee, innocent unfairly accused?  The guilty able to get away by using countermeasures?  You know George Maschke was quite insulted when I compared this site to any one of the hundreds of anti-urinaylsis sites, opting instead to compare himself to some genious who invented a cryptologic algorithm (Now that's a surprise).  Nonetheless, I believe the comparison is still alot closer to the "Ban the piss-tests" sites.  After all, if it walks like a duck.....

It was not my purpose to compare my intelligence with Phil Zimmermann's. (Note that Zimmermann, while highly gifted in his own right, did not invent the cryptographic algorithms used in PGP: he merely implemented them in a software application.) But our action in making information about polygraph countermeasures publicly available is comparable to Mr. Zimmermann's action in making strong encryption publicly available in some relevant respects:

1) Both actions serve a legitimate civic purpose: information on polygraph countermeasures enables law-abiding persons to protect themselves against the very real danger of a false positive polygraph outcome; strong encryption enables law-abiding persons to protect the privacy of their communications;

2) Both actions were done without any profit motive: both the information on AntiPolygraph.org and Zimmermann's PGP software are free;

3) In both cases, the information (or software) provided could also be exploited by criminals.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2002 at 2:28pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polycop

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 5:05pm

Quote:

Polycop,

Clearly I take exception to that which you have quoted from Dr. Gieringer....obviously some screens performed more (depending on the nature and identity of the analyte) reliably than others...

Urine screening done properly (involving both screening and confirmatory examinations) is both extremely accurate and reliable...

Furthermore, as a forensic toxicologist, both my colleagues and I were held to an extremely high standard that apparently does not apply to practitioners of CQT polygraphy.  If we were ever shown to have made a mistake that we testified to in court, our careers as forensic experts would have been over....

Again, I repeat, any comparisons (suggestions of similarity) between the accuracy, validity, and the degree to which the American public can trust the results of CQT polygraphy versus urinalysis are quite ludicrous and misleading.

I gather that you claim no particular knowledge about the subject you speak (urinalysis) and therefore any basis for making the comparisons you suggest/assert with CQT polygraphy....

Drew,

Let me start with your last statement first. All I know about the urinalysis test is what I read on the Internet (Just like for most people, all they know about Polygraph is what they read on the Internet.)   So, in the area of urinalysis testing, you are MUCH more knowledgable than I will ever be.

My point is this:  Let's say someone was offered a job and told that for the first time in their life, they were to have to take a urine test.  Out of curiosity (or concern), they do some research and stumble upon the site I quoted from.  The information they read tells them that the urine test is "inaccurate," "leads to false positives," and the best way to assure they pass was to engage in some sort of "countermeasures".  They are then caught in the process of trying to "beat" their drug test (Or if not actually "caught" was possibly acting "suspicious" enough that the prospective employer simply hired the next guy...)

Unfortunately, this person may have been quite innocent of any drug activity.  Still, they have just lost a job because they listened to bad advice.  The fact is, whether or not anyone on this site believes the polygraph examiners that post here, we DO catch people attempting countermeasures all the time.  I for one, don't claim to catch them all, and I am sure I have probably been "beat."  However, if even ONE otherwise honest examinee is caught attempting what is taught and encouraged on this site, and suffers as a result, then in my mind they have received very bad advice indeed (Just like the person who is stupid enough to take the advice of the anti-urinalysis sites) .

Now, it just so happens that I believe urinalysis testing to be highly accurate, more accurate than CQT polygraph testing for sure.  (Remember, like you, I am a HUGE fan of GKT/CIT testing).  The reason I have made an issue about urine testing, is that the anti-urinalysis arguments are EXACTLY the same as the anti-polygraph and the opponents of urinalysis are just as dedicated to their cause.

Lastly, I have testified many times in judicial and administrative hearings concerning polygraph results (Yes, as you know they are admissible in some cases) and I can tell you that just like any other Forensic Examiner,  If I was ever shown to have made a mistake (or lied) to what I testified to in court, my career also would also "have been over."  The courts are not particularly tolerant of anyone's mistakes....

Polycop...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 6:27pm
Quote:
The fact is, whether or not anyone on this site believes the polygraph examiners that post here, we DO catch people attempting countermeasures all the time.  I for one, don't claim to catch them all, and I am sure I have probably been "beat."  However, if even ONE otherwise honest examinee is caught attempting what is taught and encouraged on this site, and suffers as a result, then in my mind they have received very bad advice indeed

Ah yes, the mythical legions of swaggering misinformed who stroll into your 'polygraph lab' with a copy of The Lie Behind The Lie Detector under their collective arm.

When asked to produce any example of your ability to detect countermeasures, you have repeatedly ignored the requests or declined to do so-- instead you insist you absolutely, positively can detect countermeasures, you have done so many times, and anyone who attempts them has a good chance of being 'caught' by you. When your bluff is called again, you beg off and say words to the effect that you can't describe how you do it, but if we were there in real time you could 'show' us-- I guess the entirety of the English language isn't up to the job that simple finger-pointing at the poly chart and-- what, grunts and clicks?-- can do. Fine, for the second time I suggest backing up your assertions by getting out your Big Red Pen, scanning charted examples of countermeasures and sending them to George, whom I am almost certain will be happy to post them. Get a hotmail account, access it through an anonymizing proxy, and send the proof. NOTE: Telling me you really, truly, abso-positively-lutely can detect countermeasures will not suffice as a response, polycop. Neither will shrill accusations of felonious behavior on my part nor the outrageous attempts to link this website to pedophilia.

Quote:
Lastly, I have testified many times in judicial and administrative hearings concerning polygraph results (Yes, as you know they are admissible in some cases) and I can tell you that just like any other Forensic Examiner

In what fields of science have you been deemed a Forensic Expert by the courts?

Dave

P.S. Please stop the strawman argument re: scientific validity of urinalysis. We're here to debate the scientific validity of the polygraph , not the ability of medical doctors and technicians to detect the components of urine samples.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 6:43pm
Polycop,

You write in part:

Quote:
...Now, it just so happens that I believe urinalysis testing to be highly accurate, more accurate than CQT polygraph testing for sure...

I couldn't agree more fully with you!

I believe the discussion that we have engaged in regarding urinalysis and the comparison between the accuracy of urinalysis vs that of CQT testing has demonstrated a very valuable point.  Yes, these two as well as other things can be made to seem six of one and a half dozen of the other, all the same, and all apples from the same barrel.  This can be done only, and I repeat ONLY, if the common denominator for said examination is ignorance.  If serious inspection and intellectual honesty are involved, true and significant differences can and will be revealed allowing for the quoted conclusion that you have come to with regard to the aforementioned comparison...  

Regards,

Drew Richardson

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polycop

Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2002 at 7:27pm

Quote:

Polycop,

You write in part:

I couldn't agree more fully with you!

I believe the discussion that we have engaged in regarding urinalysis and the comparison between the accuracy of urinalysis vs that of CQT testing has demonstrated a very valuable point.  Yes, these two as well as other things can be made to seem six of one and a half dozen of the other, all the same, and all apples from the same barrel.  This can be done only, and I repeat ONLY, if the common denominator for said examination is ignorance.  If serious inspection and intellectual honesty are involved, true and significant differences can and will be revealed allowing for the quoted conclusion that you have come to with regard to the aforementioned comparison...  

Regards,

Drew Richardson

Drew,

I have no problem agreeing that urinaylsis testing is more accurate than CQT polygraph.  I really believe that it is.  From my experience, I would say that CQT polygraph testing is 85 to 95 percent accurate, and I suspect that urine testing falls in the 97% plus range.  Funny though, I know for a fact that in many agencies, they use polygraph to confirm urinaylsis results, when those results have been challenged for some reason....  I have done many, many urinaylsis polygraph exams and I have found that 98% of those tests result in a deceptive finding and the VAST majority of those folks confess.

Gee, I hope the polygraph & the urinalysis were not BOTH wrong.... Cry

Polycop

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
A word or two from the "other side"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X