Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A word or two from the "other side" (Read 52069 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

A word or two from the "other side"
Jul 15th, 2002 at 4:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
After repeatedly visiting this site over the last year or so, I finally decided to put in my two cents.  You will obviously infer that I am one of practitioners of polygraph, so often labeled as evil on this site.  Which brings me to my first point.  The most passionate contributors to this site often throw around the word ad hominem to describe the pro-polygraph views posted.  By no means am I defending most of these posts -- in fact I usually cringe when reading them, knowing full well that they will do nothing but fuel the passions of a Beech Trees, per se.  However, surely, anyone can see the irony in this assertion.  This site (not only the message posts) is filled with personal attacks and unsubstantiated generalizations.  Polygraph examiners are called uneducated, dishonest, greedy, authoritarian, unethical, idiotic...   So, this finger pointing using latin  learned in pre-law 101 is equal to:
Kettle this is Pot, message over.
Pot this is kettle, send message, over.
You're black, out.

Secondly, while we are discussing the rules of intellectual argument...you argue from the general to the specific to prove a point, not specific to general.  That is called stereotyping, or just plain prejudice.  My point is that the assertion that "my polygrapher did me wrong so they must all be a bunch of boorish pigs," is not a valid argument.

I'm basically telling you to can the fingerpointing BS and get on to the substance and thus I will do the same.  I will try to stick to mere facts or my own personal beliefs of such.

There are three factors in the success of any examination:  the examiner, the examination, and the examinee.

A word first about examiners.  There are three categories, Federal, State/Local, Private.  Within them there are those that deal with screeening, criminal investigations, counter-intelligence, or a combination of all.  Different jurisdictions have different requirements.  However, most in the Federal system are working on or possess graduate degrees, and many in the other areas have moved from the Federal arena.  The vast majority are experienced law enforcement or counter intel agents.  These are people who passed stringent tests to prove their integrity and have devoted themselves to their country.  They could make much more, no doubt outside, and could live much more comfortably.  And contrary to a post I read, most would not only have jobs if not for polygraph, many would be special agents in charge, chiefs of police, etc.  I don't doubt that you may have run into a dolt, or an unethical purveyor of this profession.  I have met them and sought to weed them out.  But do not question the integrity or patriotism of the whole just because of your experience.  Do you condemn all police officers when you see videos of apparent excessive force?  Separate emotion from fact.  The fact is, examiners have nothing to gain from your passing or failing.  A false positive is what I least want since I would not get a confession from an innocent person (I'm good, but not that good) and thus would be unable to reolve a felony investigation.  This is why we work so hard to ensure proper results, an effort you most criticize here (ie the pre-test).

The examination.  This will get you licking your lips I'm sure.  Sorry, I'm not going to get in to validity or accuracy here.  I'll just say it's much better than chance.  Keep in mind that I only deal with felony investigations, so you'll never see me at your application interview.  It's an investigative tool and the results alone are only used if it's NDI (usually NDI results eliminates the examinee as a suspect -- any ethical concerns if what this site claims is true? ???) A DI without confession is useless and I don't mind that.  Ultimately all evidence types are less than 100%--DNA shows the subject was present, but does it prove he pulled trigger or that sex was forcible?  Video can be altered or omit important preceding/proceding events.  And they are used in court!!!  My goodness -- www.antiDNA.com!!!! ;  

Lastly the examinee.  Some may actually think into it too much or be overly emotional, know too much, or just be plain unsuitable physically or psychologically. But overall, the problem one has with passing is withholding information he feels is relevant.  Many an inconclusive exam has turned into an NDI on second series, after an admission of some small tidbit is revealed.  I took an exam and was bordering on the feelings of this site, angered that I would have to reveal transgressions of my youth.  But I did it, and as you know, some of the things the examiner did not want to know, but I made him suffer through it.  The nicest thing he did was to "lie" to me and ensure I could be seen as not being a criminal or a spy.

Finally, rather than spending the vast resources of intellect and funds many of the contributors to this site exhibit, on bashing polygraph, why not spend them on trying to find something better. Or at least push your government to find something better.  In these times your government is not going to eliminate its tools.  So why not help those in our profession (LE and intelligence) get better tools to protect your nation and your communities.

Enough said here and don't be surprised if I don't respond to any of your responses -- I know I'll never convince most of the die hard contributors to this site regarding the usefulness of polygraph.  However, I will continue to enjoy reading the discussion on this site and will chime in if it gets interesting.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Re: A word or two from the "other side"
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2002 at 8:30pm
Public Servant:

I'm glad you contributed to the site.  It's important to understand opposing views.

No doubt George and others will address your points more thoroughly, but you wrote:

Quote:
The examination.  This will get you licking your lips I'm sure.  Sorry, I'm not going to get in to validity or accuracy here.  I'll just say it's much better than chance

This is one of the main thrusts of this web site: exposing the fact that the polygraph has never been proven to work at better than chance levels, and unless that happens, it should not be relied upon.  If the device is invalid, then no amount of education, patriotism, or virtue on the part of the examiner can save it.   

Just as you correctly point out the error of leaping to conclusions based on one experience, you must also admit that your personal experience, and whatever statistics you have personally compiled over the years using the polygraph, cannot be asserted as representative of polygraph validity in general.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Latin 101

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2002 at 8:43pm
Public Servant,

Please do not take any offense by this, but it is suprising (and suspect) that a person of your position and stature has yet to gain a satisfactory command of the English language, both in form and substance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 8:51am
Public Servant,

Quote:
After repeatedly visiting this site over the last year or so, I finally decided to put in my two cents.  You will obviously infer that I am one of practitioners of polygraph, so often labeled as evil on this site.

Actually, polygraphers are not often labelled as "evil" on this site. While many of us, myself included, question the ethical standards of the polygraph profession, that is not to say that we believe that polygraphers are fundamentally bad people. I most certainly don't. Nonetheless, the actions of well-intentioned people can result in considerable "evil." Take, for example, the case of (now retired) U.S. Navy petty officer Daniel M. King and his polygraph interrogation(s) by Naval Criminal Investigative Service Special Agent Robert Hyter, which you'll find documented in Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Quote:
Which brings me to my first point.  The most passionate contributors to this site often throw around the word ad hominem to describe the pro-polygraph views posted.  By no means am I defending most of these posts -- in fact I usually cringe when reading them, knowing full well that they will do nothing but fuel the passions of a Beech Trees, per se.  However, surely, anyone can see the irony in this assertion.  This site (not only the message posts) is filled with personal attacks and unsubstantiated generalizations.  Polygraph examiners are called uneducated, dishonest, greedy, authoritarian, unethical, idiotic...  So, this finger pointing using latin  learned in pre-law 101 is equal to:
Kettle this is Pot, message over.
Pot this is kettle, send message, over.
You're black, out.

The term "ad hominem" is more a term of logic than of law. According to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary, the term, which literally means "to the man," has been attested to in the English language as early as 1598 and means:

"1 : appealing to a person's feelings or prejudices rather than his intellect 2 : marked by an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to his contentions" 

"Ad hominem" quite aptly characterizes many of the arguments presented here by supporters of polygraphy. For example, in response to Dr. Drew Richardson's Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge, wherein Dr. Richardson challenged the polygraph community to demonstrate it's claimed ability to detect polygraph countermeasures, a polygraph advocate using the monicker "the boys" posted:

Quote:
Sorry, I guess we were sleeping.....just noticed that Drew Richardson is identified as "top FBI polygraph expert"....just how did he rise to such a lofty position?....I have it on good information that he conducted few polygraph examinations in the field and caused the FBI more problems then he was worth...and they ultimately removed him from his polygraph position...I think th term thatw as used was that he was considered a "pariah".  Maybe you might want to consider removing his "credentials" on your homepage?
Dr. Drew C. Richardson,
Laboratory Division  

The foregoing is a classic example of the argumentum ad hominem. For more on this fallacial form of argument, see, for example this excerpt from Robert T. Carroll's Becoming a Critical Thinker.

Certainly, polygraph advocates are not the only ones who have succumbed to the temptation to substitute ad hominem attacks for rational argument. But I think that a critical review of the debates here over polygraph validity, policy, procedure, and countermeasures would show that, with a few notable exceptions (like Dr. Gordon H. Barland, J.B., and L72cueak) the pro-polygraph side has offered little more than ad hominem arguments against our reasoned criticisms.

Quote:
Secondly, while we are discussing the rules of intellectual argument...you argue from the general to the specific to prove a point, not specific to general.  That is called stereotyping, or just plain prejudice.  My point is that the assertion that "my polygrapher did me wrong so they must all be a bunch of boorish pigs," is not a valid argument.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Who argues from the general to the specific? And about what?

You correctly note that "my polygrapher did me wrong so they must all be a bunch of boorish pigs" is not a valid argument. (Isn't that going from the specific to the general and not the other way around?) But this is not really an argument that anyone is seriously making here.

Quote:
I'm basically telling you to can the fingerpointing BS and get on to the substance and thus I will do the same.  I will try to stick to mere facts or my own personal beliefs of such.

You'll find many of us here more than willing to discuss polygraph issues with you on their merits. Regrettably, this is a debate from which the polygraph community has largely shrunken.

Quote:
The examination.  This will get you licking your lips I'm sure.  Sorry, I'm not going to get in to validity or accuracy here.  I'll just say it's much better than chance.

You can say that polygraphy is "much better than chance," but peer-reviewed research has yet to establish this. Because CQT polygraphy lacks both standardization and control, it is not possible to establish a meaningful validity rate for it. (This is, perhaps, a topic for a different message thread.)

Quote:
It's an investigative tool and the results alone are only used if it's NDI (usually NDI results eliminates the examinee as a suspect -- any ethical concerns if what this site claims is true?

If the results are NDI (no deception indicated), how do you know that the subject did not simply lie and use countermeasures? Because of polygraphy's lack of proven validity and vulnerability to countermeasures, I think that there are indeed both rational concerns and ethical implications when suspects are eliminated on the basis of polygraph chart readings.

Quote:
A DI without confession is useless and I don't mind that.

This candid admission seems logically inconsistent with your assertion that polygraphy is "much better than chance."

Quote:
Ultimately all evidence types are less than 100%...

Our criticism of CQT polygraphy is not that it is "less than 100%," but rather that it has no validity whatsoever as a diagnostic test.

Quote:
Lastly the examinee.  Some may actually think into it too much or be overly emotional, know too much, or just be plain unsuitable physically or psychologically. But overall, the problem one has with passing is withholding information he feels is relevant.

The belief that the subject who fails to pass "is withholding information he feels is relevant" must be a comforting one for the polygrapher contemplating the ethics of his profession. This way, the polygrapher need never worry about the ethical implications of his having falsely accused someone of deception: it's the subject's fault, because he must have been withholding something. But I think this sort of rationalization (through an unfalsifiable ad hoc hypothesis) is an exercise in self-delusion.

Quote:
Finally, rather than spending the vast resources of intellect and funds many of the contributors to this site exhibit, on bashing polygraph, why not spend them on trying to find something better. Or at least push your government to find something better.  In these times your government is not going to eliminate its tools.  So why not help those in our profession (LE and intelligence) get better tools to protect your nation and your communities.

I think that our work to expose and end polygraph waste, fraud, and abuse is a worthy enough goal. Real harm is being caused to individuals, public safety, and national security as a result of misplaced faith in the pseudoscience of polygraphy.

Quote:
Enough said here and don't be surprised if I don't respond to any of your responses -- I know I'll never convince most of the die hard contributors to this site regarding the usefulness of polygraph.

Actually, you cannot know that others will never be convinced of an argument. This is something you can only know of yourself.

I, for one, am quite convinced that polygraphy can be useful as an interrogation aid. Naive and gullible subjects sometimes confess or make admissions they might not have made absent the polygraph. But the scientific evidence for polygraphy is less than compelling.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2002 at 9:20am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 12:10pm
Latin 101,

OK, you are absolutely correct.  I tend to ramble, my typing and grammar may need some work (especially at the hour I wrote that post) and I improperly used "per se."

However, with your obvious mastery of linguistics, you surely realized you were providing an example of ad hominem argument for me.   

No offense taken, by the way.  I'll try to proof read from now on.   Does neatness count?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 1:14pm
George,

I knew I could count on you to bring up some well thought out responses.   

First of all, just a short word about ad hominem argument.  I agree that often the pro-polygraph posts here utilize personal attack rather than substance.  My only point was that it goes both ways.  As you exclude some pro poly contributors from this label, I would agree that you, Gino, and Mark stick to the substance avoid personal attack for the most part.  However, many other anti poly contributors (often, but not limited to, one time contributors) do use this style.  And, the material outside this message board, is overwhelmingly one sided and is predominately prejudicial to the character of the persons who suport poly in any way.   

Reference General to specific:  I realize I was unclear here.  I was trying to say that it is only logical to argue from the general to the specific, not specific to general.  My point is that a few specific experiences seem to fuel the generalized beliefs of many of the contributors to this site.  I understand the emotion involved here, but thought, not emotion, leads to logical discourse.

Both sides could site research to support our opposing views.  And both of us would likely cling to the research with the results which support our views.  The unfortunate fact is that with psychology, unlike physics things do not always fit into a nice formula and clinical studies can not exactly emmulate life.  The main problem with determining validity and accuracy of polygraph is determining ground truth.  The clinical applications can do this better, but people do not behave or respond the same in a controlled environment.  I am far from qualified to go into detail about research.  I'll leave that for the Dr. Barland's of the world.  I have neither the time, resoources, nor the expertise.

My only assertion, in saying a DI w/o confession is useless, is that in most jurisdictions, the DI result alone would not be utilized in court. Having an obvious interest in justice, I would want corroborative evidence to build a case, even if it was admissible.   

When you say I am trying to justify my own ethical decisions (sorry I did not use the quote key when I started this), it seems you may be questioning my character, which you yourself spoke against.  However, I am secure with my ethical decisions, because I have seen the results of my toils.  Persons have confessed to murder, child sex assault, and many other felonies.  The confessions were substantiated with other corroborative evidence and the world is now a little safer for my family and yours.  I have also seen people exonerated as the result of NDI and after elimination from suspicion, the true culprit found, or the accuser recants.  I have also seen persons who may have been innocent bring more suspicion on themselves after being caught using countermeasures.  And if, by chance, you did train a criminal well enough to beat me, then it's not on my conscience, but perhaps on yours.   

I have to go now.  The family awaits and I will be travelling again.  To Mark, sorry I did not respond directly, but thanks for the response.  To Latin 101, I ran out of time for proof reading (one or two words?) so please excuse my abuse of the English Language.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ref

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2002 at 11:13pm

Public Servant wrote on Jul 16th, 2002 at 1:14pm:

Both sides could site research to support our opposing views.  And both of us would likely cling to the research with the results which support our views.  The unfortunate fact is that with psychology, unlike physics things do not always fit into a nice formula and clinical studies can not exactly emmulate life.

As someone with a psychology background, let me point out that the above is a non sequitur: yes, psychology is one of the "soft" sciences, but it is still a science, complete with falsifiable hypotheses/theories and non-confounded evidence.  In fact, it is on the grounds of psychological standards for testing (validity and reliability) that the most devastating critiques of polygraphy "testing" are made: polygraphy has all the validity and reliability of a good Tarot card reading.

Quote:

When you say I am trying to justify my own ethical decisions (sorry I did not use the quote key when I started this), it seems you may be questioning my character, which you yourself spoke against.  However, I am secure with my ethical decisions, because I have seen the results of my toils.  Persons have confessed to murder, child sex assault, and many other felonies.

I'm sure none of us would want any of the above criminals to go free.  It should be noted, though, that torture also produces sometimes accurate confessions to the above crimes, as well.  Clearly, the ends do not necessarily justify the means.

Quote:

The confessions were substantiated with other corroborative evidence and the world is now a little safer for my family and yours.   

Which is wonderful.  Too bad that a failed polygraph alone, even without corroborative evidence, is frequently enough to damage or destroy someone's career, relationships, and other parts of their lives.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2002 at 1:12pm
Public Servant,

You wrote, among other things:
Quote:
...the material outside this message board, is overwhelmingly one sided and is predominately prejudicial to the character of the persons who suport poly in any way

Please don't hesitate to specifically point out anything on AntiPolygraph.org that you believe to be untrue, misleading, or otherwise unfair.
Quote:
My only assertion, in saying a DI w/o confession is useless, is that in most jurisdictions, the DI result alone would not be utilized in court. Having an obvious interest in justice, I would want corroborative evidence to build a case, even if it was admissible.

Do you mean to say then, that a DI (deception indicated) outcome, absent a confession from the subject, actually has some diagnostic value (even though the polygrapher's diagnosis may not be admissible in court)?
Quote:
When you say I am trying to justify my own ethical decisions (sorry I did not use the quote key when I started this), it seems you may be questioning my character, which you yourself spoke against.

What I had actually written is the following:
Quote:
The belief that the subject who fails to pass "is withholding information he feels is relevant" must be a comforting one for the polygrapher contemplating the ethics of his profession. This way, the polygrapher need never worry about the ethical implications of his having falsely accused someone of deception: it's the subject's fault, because he must have been withholding something. But I think this sort of rationalization (through an unfalsifiable ad hoc hypothesis) is an exercise in self-delusion.

It was not my purpose to question your character, but rather the premise, which you seem to have espoused, that when a subject fails to pass a polygraph examination, it is because he "is withholding information he feels is relevant." Adoption of this premise relieves the polygrapher of the burden of dealing with the ethical (and rational) considerations that would otherwise be involved when he accuses a subject of deception and embarks upon a "post-test" interrogation.

There is no rational basis for the belief that a subject's failure to pass a polygraph examination necessarily indicates that he/she has withheld any information that he deems relevant. I think it's self-evident that the subject who (quite reasonably) is more concerned about the consequences of not being believed with regard to the relevant questions than with regard to the "control" questions is not likely to pass.

The polygrapher who accuses subjects who fail to pass of deception and conducts a "post-test" interrogation will necessarily end up falsely accusing innocent subjects. I think that this has important ethical ramifications that the polygraph community seemingly prefers to ignore.

(It's also worth noting that, even by the theory of "control" question "test" polygraphy, subjects who pass are presumed to be withholding information that they believe is relevant, since they have presumably been misled into believing that the probable-lie "control" questions are actually relevant.)

The premise that a subject's failure to pass means that he is withholding information that he believes is relevant is a dangerous delusion. This delusion seem to be widespread amongst the polygraph community, and I suspect that it is a factor affecting the behavior of (perhaps) well-meaning polygraphers who have gone on to extract false confessions, as NCIS Special Agent Robert Hyter apparently did from CTR1 Daniel M. King. (Again, see Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for details.)

You also mention your success in getting dangerous criminals to confess:
Quote:
...I am secure with my ethical decisions, because I have seen the results of my toils.  Persons have confessed to murder, child sex assault, and many other felonies.  The confessions were substantiated with other corroborative evidence and the world is now a little safer for my family and yours.  I have also seen people exonerated as the result of NDI and after elimination from suspicion, the true culprit found, or the accuser recants.

I think it's undeniable that the polygraph can be useful in obtaining confessions. But it is a mistake for a polygrapher to allow his successes in obtaining confessions to delude him into the belief that he actually has the ability to detect deception. David T. Lykken discusses this phenomenon at pp. 70-71 of A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector (2nd ed., Plenum Trade, 1998):
Quote:
How Polygraph-Induced Confessions Mislead Polygraphers

It is standard practice for police polygraphers to interrogate a suspect who has failed the lie test. They tell him that the impartial, scientific polygraph has demonstrated his guilt, that no one now will believe his denials, and that his most sensible action at this point would be to confess and try to negotiate the best terms he can. This is strong stuff, and what the examiner says to the suspect is especially convincing and effective because the examiner genuinely believes it himself. Police experience in the United States suggests that as many as 40% of interrogated suspects do actually confess in this situation. And these confessions provide virtually the only feedback of "ground truth" or criterion data that is ever available to a polygraph examiner.

If a suspect passes the polygraph test, he will not be interrogated because the examiner firmly believes he has been truthful. Suspects who are not interrogated do not confess, of course. This means that the only criterion data that are systematically sought--and occassionally obtained--are confessions by people who have failed the polygraph, confessions that are guaranteed to corroborate the tests that elicited those confessions. The examiner almost never discovers that a suspect he diagnosed as truthful was in fact deceptive, because that bad news is excluded by his dependence on immediate confessions for verification. Moreover, these periodic confessions provide a diet of consistently good news that confirms the examiner's belief that the lie test is nearly infallible. Note that the examiner's client or employer also hears about these same confessions and is also protected from learning about most of the polygrapher's mistakes.

Sometimes confessions can verify, not only the test that produced it, but also a previous test that resulted in a diagnosis of truthful. This can happen when there is more than one suspect in the same crime, so that the confession of one person reveals that the alternative suspect must be innocent. Once again, however, the examiner is usually protected from learning when he has made an error. If the suspect who was tested first is diagnosed as deceptive, then the alternative suspect--who might be the guilty one--is seldom tested at all because the examiner believes that the case was solved by that first failed test. This means that only rarely does a confession prove that someone who has already failed his test is actually innocent.

Therefore, when a confession allows us to evaluate the accuracy of the test given to a person cleared by that confession, then once again the news will almost always be good news; that innocent suspect will be found to have passed his lie test, because if the first suspect had not passed the test, the second person would not have been tested and would not have confessed.

And as veteran polygrapher Leonard H. Harrelson writes in Lietest: Deception, Truth and the Polygraph (Jonas Publishing, 1998):
Quote:
Polygrams [polygraph charts] are polygrams. They measure and record physiological reactions. And they do so very well, but one cannot look at a polygram and say, "That is a lie." It may be a reaction, but no one can say that it is a lie. An examiner may interpret a reaction to be a lie, but in actual practice, the examiner is also observing the subject, listening to verbal explanations, and making a judgment about the person's truthfulness. Some examiners are simply better at this than others.

Because of their experience in talking with people and their success in obtaining confessions, polygraph examiners may come to feel confident about making a determination of truth or deception based on their charts. Indeed, if a person is reacting, it is the examiner's job to determine why and to obtain a confession if they believe that deception is the cause of the reactions. But without a confession, polygrams are still just polygrams.

You also wrote:
Quote:
...if, by chance, you did train a criminal well enough to beat me, then it's not on my conscience, but perhaps on yours.

Before launching AntiPolygraph.org and publishing The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we did think through the ethics of making information on polygraph countermeasures readily and freely available via the Internet. Our purpose was certainly not to help criminals to get away with their crimes, but rather to help the innocent to protect themselves against the kinds of abuse that we've documented in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. There is, regrettably, no way for us to make this information available to the innocent alone: it must necessarily be made available to everyone. Of course, the countermeasure information we provide here can only help criminals to the extent that government places any reliance on these pseudoscientific "tests."

You didn't address the question I put to you in my earlier post, "If the results are NDI (no deception indicated), how do you know that the subject did not simply lie and use countermeasures?" I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polycop

Re: A word or two from the
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2002 at 4:48pm
George, I have a few comments about a recent post you made.  You said,

Quote:

Before launching AntiPolygraph.org and publishing The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, we did think through the ethics of making information on polygraph countermeasures readily and freely available via the Internet. Our purpose was certainly not to help criminals to get away with their crimes, but rather to help the innocent to protect themselves against the kinds of abuse that we've documented in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. There is, regrettably, no way for us to make this information available to the innocent alone: it must necessarily be made available to everyone. Of course, the countermeasure information we provide here can only help criminals to the extent that government places any reliance on these pseudoscientific "tests."

George,

Disregarding for the moment any arguement regarding the probability of success in the use of countermeasures, I have a fundlemental problem with your repeated implications that this site does not knowingly assist criminals to avoid detection.

I do not have the time to research the entire message board right now, but I know that in the last several months I have read many posts by people who have openly admitted to having committed all sorts of criminal acts and were writing to you and others on this site to help them "beat" the polygraph in order to avoid detection and prosecution.  You and others on this site responded in each and every case. by helping these criminals.

In fact, at this very moment at least one of the message boards on this site has been completely taken over by registered sex offenders who are using this site to discuss stratigies to keep their ongoing exploitation of others (to include innocent children) beyond the abilities of the authorities to detect and deal with.

You distance yourself from these goings on by claiming "Our purpose was certainly not to help criminals to get away with their crimes..."  That is much like the statements made by the leader of a well known white racist hate group, who after one of his most faithful followers killed numerous minorities said, "The church ...neither condones violence or unlawful activities, nor do we promote or incite them.” Yet that is EXACTLY what this leader condones and encourages.  He believes that by making that statement, he absolves himself of any liability.

George, you are distancing yourself from the criminals your site draws, much like Hale does, but you are still KNOWINGLY providing tools that you and your followers BELIEVE will assist the GUILTY in escaping prosecution.

You justify your behavior by saying, "...the countermeasure information we provide here can only help criminals to the extent that government places any reliance on these pseudoscientific "tests.""

Your arguement therefore is, if a criminal (such as a sex offender) were to be able to successfully use your methods to escape detection and thereby be able to victimize others, you would feel no guilt or responsibility, because it was the government's "fault" for relying on the polygraph (that otherwise would have perhaps caught this criminal and prevented more victimization if it were not for the methods YOU taught him).

George, one thing that you and I are in agreement about is that the Internet is indeed a powerful information tool.  As you know, there are websites dedicated to all sorts of things.  In fact, just last night, I found websites that taught me how to "beat" a urinaylsis test.  The position of the folks on that site is that the urinaylsis test is an unconstitutional invasion of privacy and therefore they are "justified" in providing that information.  (Remember that, next time you get on an airplane wondering if the pilot "beat" his urinaylsis test.)

I found web sites that taught me how to ruin someone's credit, build a bomb, acquire guns, seduce small children, and get away with all these things.  In EVERY case, the sites completely justified their activities, much as you and your followers do.

George, I am no lawyer, but I must believe there is civil and criminal case law out there that addresses injury caused by individuals who provide information that enables one to engage in, or escape detection from criminal activity that has victimized others.  In fact, I can think of several scenerios that would apply to the information provided on this site.

Anyway, just a little "food for thought."

Polycop

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 12:01pm
Polycop,

You wrote:

Quote:
Disregarding for the moment any arguement regarding the probability of success in the use of countermeasures, I have a fundlemental problem with your repeated implications that this site does not knowingly assist criminals to avoid detection.

What I've said is that it is not our purpose to help criminals get away with their crimes. Certainly, the polygraph countermeasure information available here could be of use to criminals seeking to beat a polygraph "test." But our consistent advice to anyone  -- innocent or guilty -- is to refuse to submit to any polygraph interrogation in the context of a criminal investigation and to seek legal counsel.

Quote:
I do not have the time to research the entire message board right now, but I know that in the last several months I have read many posts by people who have openly admitted to having committed all sorts of criminal acts and were writing to you and others on this site to help them "beat" the polygraph in order to avoid detection and prosecution.  You and others on this site responded in each and every case. by helping these criminals.

At your leisure, please cite some of these alleged cases.

Quote:
In fact, at this very moment at least one of the message boards on this site has been completely taken over by registered sex offenders who are using this site to discuss stratigies to keep their ongoing exploitation of others (to include innocent children) beyond the abilities of the authorities to detect and deal with.

You are referring to the Post-Conviction Polygraph Programs forum. This forum, like the others on AntiPolygraph.org, is uncensored. But I am not aware that anyone has used this forum "to discuss stratigies [sic] to keep their ongoing exploitation of others (to include innocent children) beyond the abilities of the authorities to detect and deal with." Again, at your leisure, please provide some examples.

Quote:
You distance yourself from these goings on by claiming "Our purpose was certainly not to help criminals to get away with their crimes..."  That is much like the statements made by the leader of a well known white racist hate group, who after one of his most faithful followers killed numerous minorities said, "The church ...neither condones violence or unlawful activities, nor do we promote or incite them.” Yet that is EXACTLY what this leader condones and encourages.  He believes that by making that statement, he absolves himself of any liability.

George, you are distancing yourself from the criminals your site draws, much like Hale does, but you are still KNOWINGLY providing tools that you and your followers BELIEVE will assist the GUILTY in escaping prosecution.

Polycop, I think your likening of me to the racist "Reverend" Matt Hale, and, by implication, of AntiPolygraph.org to the "World Church of the Creator," is absolutely outrageous.

The purpose of AntiPolygraph.org is to expose and end polygraph waste, fraud, and abuse. Real harm is being done to many innocent individuals as a result of our government's misplaced faith in this pseudoscience. Our system of law is supposedly rooted in the principle that we would sooner see ten guilty individuals go free than to see one innocent person wrongly convicted. But based on pseudoscientific polygraph chart readings alone, our federal, state, and local governments are, on an annual basis, peremptorily and falsely branding thousands of innocent individuals as liars and denying them due process. Do you have a problem with this, Polycop? I sure as hell do. And it is for this reason that we have made reliable information about effective polygraph countermeasures freely available via the Internet.

I don't deny that the information provided here could also be useful to criminals, but again, that is not our purpose in making this information (which was to a large extent already public) freely available.

Quote:
You justify your behavior by saying, "...the countermeasure information we provide here can only help criminals to the extent that government places any reliance on these pseudoscientific "tests.""

Your arguement therefore is, if a criminal (such as a sex offender) were to be able to successfully use your methods to escape detection and thereby be able to victimize others, you would feel no guilt or responsibility, because it was the government's "fault" for relying on the polygraph (that otherwise would have perhaps caught this criminal and prevented more victimization if it were not for the methods YOU taught him).

It would trouble me to learn that the countermeasure information we provide here on AntiPolygraph.org had assisted a criminal in escaping prosecution, and that the criminal had gone on to victimize others.

But I would not regret having helped to expose polygraphy for the pseudoscientific fraud that it is, including providing information on polygraph countermeasures.

I think the public interest is best served by the truth about polygraphy being made publicly known.

Quote:
George, one thing that you and I are in agreement about is that the Internet is indeed a powerful information tool.  As you know, there are websites dedicated to all sorts of things.  In fact, just last night, I found websites that taught me how to "beat" a urinaylsis test.  The position of the folks on that site is that the urinaylsis test is an unconstitutional invasion of privacy and therefore they are "justified" in providing that information.  (Remember that, next time you get on an airplane wondering if the pilot "beat" his urinaylsis test.)

I found web sites that taught me how to ruin someone's credit, build a bomb, acquire guns, seduce small children, and get away with all these things.  In EVERY case, the sites completely justified their activities, much as you and your followers do.

Again, I think your likening of AntiPolygraph.org to websites of the kind you describe above is simply outrageous.

A more appropriate comparison of AntiPolygraph.org's dissemination of information on polygraphy would be to Phil Zimmermann's dissemination via the Internet of free and powerful encryption software in the form of his Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) application. Mr. Zimmermann's software made it possible for individuals to communicate using strong encryption that, it seems likely, the U.S. Government is unable to crack.

Certain individuals in the U.S. Government considered the information Mr. Zimmermann freely disseminated to be dangerous. And Mr. Zimmermann was investigated for, but never charged with, criminal violation of a U.S. law regulating the export of munitions (encryption being considered a form of "muntion" under the law).

Mr. Zimmermann has come under criticism on the ground that his free software could be used by criminals, including terrorists, narcotraffickers, etc., to hide their communications from law enforcement. And indeed, his PGP software could undeniably be used to that end. But PGP also serves an important civic purpose, which Mr. Zimmermann addresses in his essay, "Why I wrote PGP."

In the aftermath of the events of 11 September 2001, a Washington Post reporter erroneously reported that Zimmermann was "overwhelmed with feelings of guilt" as the inventor of PGP. Zimmermann eloquently defended his work in an announcement titled, "No Regrets About Developing PGP."

Similarly, we have no regrets about making information about polygraphy, including polygraph countermeasures, publicly and freely available.

Quote:
George, I am no lawyer, but I must believe there is civil and criminal case law out there that addresses injury caused by individuals who provide information that enables one to engage in, or escape detection from criminal activity that has victimized others.  In fact, I can think of several scenerios that would apply to the information provided on this site.

Anyway, just a little "food for thought."

Your food for thought has little nutritive value, and seems more an attempt to vilify and silence us through intimidation. Which is about the best you and your cohorts in the polygraph community can hope for, since you seem to be unable to counter our arguments against polygraphy on a rational level.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 12:26pm
Ref,

Taking for granted that you do have the background you profess, I would not challenge your assertions regarding psychology as a whole.  My own credentials in psychological theory and research at this time are meager at best.  

However my assertion in my previous post is that the difficulty in proving the validity of polygraph is that we can not always know what the truth is. Likewise, in a controlled environment where ground truth is known, the degree of effectiveness is diminished by the lack of realism to the subjects.  

I suppose a better comparison to psychology would be the therapist feeling he has located the cause of a patient's problems.  How does he know absolutely that he has found the issue that triggered the problem.  There is no way of telling what ground truth is here.  All he or she can do is base their work on the best of their training and ability.  Thankfully usually they are successful.  However, if therapists of differing psychological philosophies saw the same patient they may have completely different ideas regarding the root of the problem.  Since even the patient likely may not know the true cause, only the therapist with the best treatment results could actually claim to have the problem identified.

And, yes many of the opponents of polygraph are Phd's and PsyD.'s.  They have good perspective in the inability to establish ground truth in such research.  However, many of the strongest proponents of polygraph have are psychology professionals.  They also have good perspective on what good psychological research is in comparison to say physics research.  And they see the success it has had over the years.  The word most often used is robust.  And the practice has been around for the better part of a century and continues to develop based on sound research.  

The difficulty in establishing ground truth may be the reason why results of polygraph research are open for personal interpretation, and often you see the same researchers always reporting new research with results supporting the views they established in previous research.  If you follow poly studies, the same people seem to always have results discrediting polygraph, while some might seem to consistently report the opposing result. 

The argument that this practice of polygraph much stop because a few people may be adversely affected is like saying we must not enforce laws because we risk arresting the wrong person.  Or we need to end our national defense program because we risk hurting persons other than our enemies.  We live in a less than perfect world -- at least at this time -- so we must prioritize and do the best we can.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2002 at 1:25pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 1:22pm
George,

I think poly cop did an excellent job of addressing the issue of ethics here.  It's not that we believe you will be successful in training someone to beat us, but if you believe you can...
I'd like to believe that someone of your background and obvious education would have thought through this whole thing a little more. Enough said.

I will now address your question: "If the results are NDI (no deception indicated), how do you know that the subject did not simply lie and use countermeasures?" 

First of all it would be silly for anyone in the poly community to tell you how we identify countermeasures.   Would anyone in the intelligence community provide an al Qaeda member information on how we collect intelligence.  We adjust to the Doug Williams and George Maschke's as they arise, but to tell you how would only escalate the race.  It would be ridiculous, you have countermeasures, now we develop counter-counter measures, and then you counter- counter-countermeasures and so on. We are not going to help you out.  Unfortunately we are advesaries on this topic.  (Perhaps we could find common ground elsewhere -- over a beer after I retire.)

Suffice to say, there is no 100% way to know that an NDI was not resulting from countermeasures.  However, I have caught them before, and I use methods to prevent, disrupt, and identify countermeasures.  I've never read an account of  one of my tests on this site in which someone was bragging about having "beaten" the test.  In fact, I see very few of such posts in comparison to the number of visitors to this site and the number of exams conducted every day. 

However, you might, perhaps, be good enough to get one by me.  There are other methods of verifying an NDI, both by examiner and case investigator.  Suffice to say that an NDI does not automatically stop an investigation and preponderence of evidence will decide what investigative findings are reported. And ultimately the prosecutor will decide if there is PC to proceed with prosecution, insufficient evidence, or reason to unfound.  This will be done based on ALL evidence available.  Bottom line is that nearly ALL of my NDI exams (as well as my DIs) have been supported by thorough investigation.   

Which answers to your assertion that confessions delude examiners.  Any good investigator (not just examiner) looks for good investigative corroboration of findings before making investigative conclusions.  No piece of evidence proves anything in a vaccuum. Any good agency ensures that thorough investigation precedes and follows examinations, regardless of results.  It's not questioning the validity of polygraph, it's just good police work.

Lastly, to believe that huge responses to certain questions slightly overtaking a nearly as significant consistent response to relevant issues will absolutely tell the examiner someone is truthful, shows only a basic understanding of analysis of CQT exams -- not a clear grasp on the theory of psychological set.  Suffice to say a well trained, experienced examiner not only understands it, but knows what it looks like in its pure form.  You do this enough, you usually see when something's not quite right.  See the earlier portion of this post to explain why I will not expound.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 1:50pm
Polycop,

I think what George is trying to say is that he does not necessarily want to help criminals (I hope not anyway).  However, in their quest to discredit polygraph they are attempting two (seemingly incompatible) assertions. 

First they are asserting that it could be difficult for someone to be truthful and pass.  Then they are saying it is easy for a deceptive person to pass.  Since they have not proven the former to anyone (and may bring suspicion on themselves), they hope to compile some list of persons claiming to have beaten the polygraph.  They do the latter under the guise of helping those claiming to be affected by the first assertion, hoping to justify the possible uses by socially unacceptable types.

Fortunately, I doubt there will be much success from either front of attack.  

George,

Nothing personal intended.  I am sure you and your colleagues have differing reasons for your crusade -- be it some true moral belief or a bad experience.  However, if you were to look outside this site for opinion, I am sure you would find a vast majority (not just polygraphers!) who would question your assertions, your methods and your justification.  As Polycop said, it may be a victim's rights lawyer.  I wouldn't rest everything on your quoted precedence.  This is much more specific and could by a skilled attorney be exposed as accessory to a crime.  Besides, in a civil case the standards for proof are much less than in criminal court.  In other words someone may go after your assumingly hard earned dollars.  (Seems with all of your time and effort here, you must have plenty -- must not have needed that job with the bureau or whomever.)  But we are working hard to ensure no victim is further victimized as a result of countermeasures utilized by a criminal, so in that vein, we are helping you avoid repurcussions!
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2002 at 4:55pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 8:24pm
Polycop/Public Servant,

The notion of civil liability regarding the teaching of countermeasures is an interesting latest ploy of the pro-polygraph community albeit a bit far fetched.  More fundamental is the question of civil liability associated with the practice of polygraphy and its error.  Do you think the government polygraph examiners who conducted polygraph exams of Aldrich Ames and Ana Montes, etc. should be held accountable through civil suits as a result of the tremendous damage these and other spies (false negative polygraph results) caused following their polygraph exams?  How about the numerous polygraph examiners (via polygraph screening) who have ruined the careers and lives of those who have told their stories on this site?  Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2002 at 11:01pm
Polycop/Public Servant:

There is something wrong with a law enforcement tool (be it polygraphy or anything else) that victimizes ten innocent people for every guilty one caught, such as, say, physical torture.  Assuming you agree with that statement in principle, that is why ultimately, the main issue here is the accuracy of the polygraph.

If we are correct in our assertion that many (hard to say exactly how many, but it's too many) innocent people are victimized for every one guilty person caught, then I believe you have to abandon polygraphy and focus on other investigative tools.

And the innocent people victimized deserve better--countermeasures are one way to protect them.

If the polygraph people are correct that the true accuracy rate (absent countermeasures) is akin to a urine test, a DNA test, or the like, then you are correct that countermeasures should not be promoted, just as we would not teach a druggie how to beat a urine test.  If I knew that my experience (see my personal statement http://antipolygraph.org/statements/statement-002.shtml) was an aberration, and that criminals, spies, and terrorists were also caught using the polygraph, thus protecting myself and my family in the long run, I could accept my misfortune.  But because I know that Aldrich Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and others passed the polygraph (Ames without any sophisticated countermeasures), I remain outraged that I and others were victimized for no good reason at all.

As George has pointed out, the polygraph has never been proven to work at better than chance levels.  Until the polygraph profession can prove otherwise, it should be abandoned.

I do not agree that a criminal passing a polygraph by using countermeasures learned on this site is tantamount to us enabling him to go free.  The polygraph is not the only method of interrogation.  Other interrogational methods yield confessions too, without risking false positives.  In addition, the indictment and conviction of any criminal depends on physical, testimonial, and/or documentary evidence, of which a polygraph interrogation would only be one part.  If criminals are going free because they are passing polygraphs by using countermeasures, that is a very poor reflection of that particular investigation.  And, convictions can be had without a confession.  My guess is that most are.  As you know, the jails are full of people professing their innocence.

IP Logged

A word or two from the "other side"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X