Normal Topic American Battle Monuments Commission (Read 3068 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

American Battle Monuments Commission
Jul 7th, 2002 at 6:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This 4th of July weekend, my wife and I went on a driving tour of the Belgian-Dutch-German border area. Among other places we visited, we stopped to pay our respects at the Henri Chapelle American Cemetery in rural Belgium. The well-tended grounds are the final resting place of 7,989 U.S. military personnel who died during the U.S. advance into Germany. The names of 450 (mostly airmen) whose bodies were never recovered are inscribed on a collonade. Most were killed during the Battle of the Bulge (a German counteroffensive) during the winter of 1944-45. Medal of Honor recipient PFC Francis X. McGraw, for whom was named the former McGraw Kaserne in Munich, Germany, where I was once stationed, is interred here. It was a somberly moving experience that helped to put into perspective the horrific human cost of war in a way that mere numbers and statistics cannot.

A comprehensive illustrated and descriptive listing of U.S. overseas military cemeteries is available on the American Battle Monuments Commission website. For any who have the opportunity to visit one, it will be time well spent.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Re: American Battle Monuments Commission
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 8:33pm
For once, a message in which we should all agree on this holiday weekend.
Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box eisenmann372002
New User

Re: American Battle Monuments Commission
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 11:28pm
How about that; an Eastwood post that I agree with. Wink Just kidding, Eastwood...but I do agree with you. Thanks for the post, George.

Eis

IP Logged

American Battle Monuments Commission

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X