Normal Topic federal polygraphing (Read 2568 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ftttf007
New User

federal polygraphing
Jun 7th, 2002 at 11:09pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Many federal security and law enforcement officers visit this site.  Subjects often admit to having viewed this site in the first phase of a polygraph; it is a good idea for all security professionals to see what takes place on your site.

With repect to federal employment, I understand people may have reservations regarding polygraph examinations.  Obviously, the polygraph is a tool used in making a suitability/security determination as part of a background investigation (BI).  The purpose of the BI is to ensure that applicants for federal service are honest, have high integrity, and have made a full disclousure regarding past  "inapproriate" behavior.

The FBI and DEA only touch on three areas in their polygraphs.  Illegal use or sale of controlled substances, honesty in the application/security form (SF86), and couterintelligence.  Very rarely do individuals fail for the latter two.  Honesty on the application can be investigated and rarely would an applicant be labeled a spy.

Unfortunately, issues regarding past illegal drug use is often on a personal level; even the most thorough BI may not find sources who witnessed the subject of investigation use an illegal substance.  This is primarily where the polygraph comes into play.  Applicants, for whatever reason, often lie about past illegal drug use (Most of the time which would be mitigated due to age, recency of conduct, etc.).

I recently read an entry from an alleged Fed.  He mentioned praying for the applicant to tell the truth and stopping the polygraph.  His alleged behavior, while quite humorous (though perhaps not to the subject of the polygraph), is a scare tactic and part of a rather solid interrogation technique.  His technique, if used, often brings out a confession.  This is why the polygraph is so useful.  People crack and tell the truth.

The polygraph is fallible (often as accurate as flipping a coin Smiley), countermeasures are often very successful for an applicant who makes no derog. admissions, polygraph exams are interrogations, and the countermeasures offered on this site are very much accurate.  These statements are factually based.  However, the truth is the most reliable means of passing a "polygraph interrogation."  Most people pass polygraphs and most people tell the truth.  Many people "fail" a polygraph even while being truthful.  A false positive is a bad thing, but so is the possibility of an individual with past undisclosed misdeeds working in a national security or public trust position.  In my opinion, it is a difficult decision to determine which of these wrongs is worse.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: federal polygraphing
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2002 at 6:48am
fttt007,

You state:

Quote:
...The polygraph is fallible (often as accurate as flipping a coin), countermeasures are often very successful for an applicant who makes no derog. admissions, polygraph exams are interrogations, and the countermeasures offered on this site are very much accurate.  These statements are factually based.  However, the truth is the most reliable means of passing a "polygraph interrogation."  Most people pass polygraphs and most people tell the truth.  Many people "fail" a polygraph even while being truthful.  A false positive is a bad thing, but so is the possibility of an individual with past undisclosed misdeeds working in a national security or public trust position.  In my opinion, it is a difficult decision to determine which of these wrongs is worse...

Much of what you state in this paragraph I completely agree with.  With regard to many people telling the truth and passing polygraph exams--yes, quite likely, however--undoubtedly more people who tell the truth would pass polygraph exams if they utilized appropriately chosen and effectively applied countermeasures.  With regard to the last couple of sentences and alleged quandary/dilemma you pose, I truly believe that as our legal system is not prepared to convict the guilty at the expense of convicting the innocent (i.e., we have established a jury system that would likely acquit 10 guilty defendants before it would convict one innocent defendant) we can do no less with applicants for federal and other employment.  We cannot allow the present polygraph screening system to continue and to do quite the opposite--which quite conservatively will have with counterintelligence tests 50 to 100 false positive results (wrongly accused individuals) for every true positive (correctly identified and properly accused (found deceptive) individual).  Although this rate of false positives can and has been reduced somewhat because of the chaos that would ensue with the expected rates derived from accuracy and base rate considerations, the rate of false negatives goes up correspondingly, making it only a matter of time before we are confronted with the next Aldrich Ames or Ana Montes.  These tests have little value and great associated costs to individuals.   Justice and fair play will not allow such a situation to continue unchallenged.  Viewed in this light, the decision that you describe as difficult is not really difficult at all...
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2002 at 7:56am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box doj2002
New User

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2002 at 2:49am
I think they touch on more than those three areas. They asked me about lying to or betraying the trust of a loved one, too. Also ask about cheating in high school and drinking habits.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ftttf007
New User

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2002 at 6:44am
The questions you refer to are control questions.  The questions are applied per the polygraph book discussed on this website.  However, investigators love it when subjects fry themselves through admissions on these questions.

IP Logged

federal polygraphing

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X