Normal Topic New poly scheduled; what to do? (Read 1961 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nosaj 13

New poly scheduled; what to do?
May 23rd, 2002 at 9:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I made application to a suburban PD in my local metro area about 4 months ago.  Everything was clear, fine and ready to go.  However, during the poly for said dept, (I'd unfortunately NOT seen this site), being the overly-voluntary type that I am, I admitted to the examiner before the testing that I'd been loaned a piece of company property that I didn't return after quitting (I'd honestly forgotten about it, and didn't realize I still had it until more than six months into a new job.  Neither my employer nor I realized I'd not returned it, and I would have given it back once I realized I had it, but by then it was completely outdated, literally useless in the industry, and about 2000 miles away.  The property was worth about $75 when I left the company, and maybe $10 at the time I discovered I'd not returned it).

Other than that, I've never "stolen" anything from an employer in my life.  During the poly interview however, the polygrapher made me feel like a guilty scumbag for admitting this.

The poly went more or less fine, but during the question about "are you lying about theft from an employer, apart from what you've told me?", I kept thinking about what I'd admitted to.  I KNOW it made my breath and pulse race.

After the test, he told me to sign a piece of paper to confirm my results, and that he'd 'try' to convince the police I was a good guy, since in his words, "You seem like a very forthcoming young man, and while I can't speak for the XXX police dept, I think you'll be ok."

Yeah, right.  The PD sent me a rejection letter 4 weeks later.

I have had no criminal convictions at all, stable employment in high dollar corporations, leadership positions, etc.  I wanted to get into police work to make a difference.  It seems I'm gonna be denied that.

One question.  The dept I applied to was a suburb, which collaberates with other suburb PD's on the academy, training, etc.  The metro inner-city itself has it's own academy, investigators, etc.  I am thinking about applying to the main city PD, but I don't want my crappy poly results to follow me.

Should I simply not say that I've taken a polygraph before once the city PD gets to that point?  I don't think there is some central repository for all poly's done by every examiner.  I know that the poly for this PD will be done by a different poly office, due to the size of this area.  As such, unless I volunteer that info, they shouldn't be able to pull up the info that I ever took one.

Anyone been thru this?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Taz23

Re: New poly scheduled; what to do?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2002 at 7:59pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
nosaj13,

I am curently going through the academy thanks in part to this web site.  If I have understood your post correctly, you want to ommit the fact that you have taken a polygraph in the past / and applied for a suburban police PD?

The discription you gave of the the way PD's work in your area sound very familiar to some of the ones that I know about.  I had also applied to a PD and failed the poly. I then read, studied, and mastered countermeasures, and passed the poly when I applied to a second PD. 

If I was in your shoes, which I was just a few months ago. I would not lie about the fact that I have  taken a polygraph in the past.  I told them that I had applied with another PD, how far I got, and that I got a rejection letter but was not told why I was rejected.  I told them that I beleived it may have been due to the polygraph.  They did not think much of it.  On the other hand If you lie, I am almost certain that your Background Investigator will find out (And you will be dropped).  In my case, my BI actually contacted the other dept. and talked to the Polygrapher that polygraphed me. The scumbag told him everything I had confessed to. Luckily, I had not changed my story, which I recommend you don't do.  In the end I managed to pass all the tests.
As far as applying to the City PD.  I am almost more than certain that that was a last option on your list as most big PD's pay way less than suburban PD's. 
My experience was that BI's check to see if you have applied with other dept's. You may think that there is no central database anywhere as many have stated in this site. In my experience, I think there is (At least for a Geographic area, maybe not nationwide).
Good Luck,
Taz

IP Logged

New poly scheduled; what to do?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X