Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FBI Polygraph Failure Rate Reportedly Near 50% (Read 141781 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yeah

Re: FBI Polygraph Failure Rate Reportedly Near 50%
Reply #75 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:52am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
He passed his polygraph... 

FBI AGENT ARRESTED FOR ATTEMPTING TO INFLUENCE CRIMINAL CASE OF MAN MARRIED TO HIS MISTRESS

A 10-year veteran of the Federal Bureau of Investigation was arrested in Phoenix this morning after being named yesterday in an 18-count indictment that accuses him of having an improper sexual relationship with the wife of a man he investigated in two separate matters.

Joe L. Gordwin, 39, of Phoenix, was taken into custody without incident at the FBI Office in Phoenix. Gordwin is expected to make his initial appearance this afternoon in United States District Court in Phoenix.

Gordwin has been placed on administrative leave pending resolution of this matter.

According to the indictment, Gordwin engaged in an “improper intimate relationship” with the wife of a man he was investigating, in violation of federal law and FBI rules. The indictment alleges that he concealed the improper relationship from the FBI to preserve his position at the FBI, and that he also concealed the relationship from the Scottsdale Police Department and the Maricopa County District Attorney’s Office, which were investigating and prosecuting the woman’s husband. Gordwin allegedly sought a favorable plea agreement for his mistress’ husband in connection with a 2005 robbery that Gordwin helped investigate for the purpose of convincing the husband not to disclose Gordwin’s improper relationship with the woman.

The indictment specifically charges Gordwin with six counts of “honest services” wire fraud, five counts of making false statements to the FBI and seven counts of witness tampering. These charges carry a maximum statutory penalty of 285 years in federal prison.

The indictment outlines a scheme to defraud the FBI and the citizens of the United States that began in 2002 after Gordwin arrested a man identified in the indictment as B.M. as part of a gang investigation. After the arrest, Gordwin met B.M.’s wife and allegedly began having an affair with her. In early 2003, after discussing B.M.’s case with B.M.’s wife, Gordwin contacted Maricopa County prosecutors and suggested that an appropriate sentence in B.M.’s case was one year to 18 months in custody. B.M. was subsequently sentenced to 18 months.

Approximately two years later, in early 2005, Gordwin began providing Scottsdale Police with information about B.M., and Gordwin joined an investigation that led to B.M.’s arrest after an armed robbery of a Radio Shack. B.M.’s stepson was also arrested at this time.

In January 2005, Gordwin contacted an FBI confidential information (CI) and asked if he could identify the CI as the source of information given to authorities who were investigating B.M. The indictment alleges that Gordwin did so in an effort to conceal his ongoing relationship with B.M.’s wife, who was the true source of the information about B.M. and his criminal activities.

In the summer of 2005, Gordwin attempted to help his mistress’ son, who also had been arrested in relation to the Radio Shack robbery and was in custody, by using the CI to help find a fugitive, whose arrest the son could take credit for, according to the indictment. At this time, Gordwin allegedly disclosed information about the CI to his mistress and facilitated a meeting between the CI and his mistress. The fugitive was arrested that summer, and Gordwin contacted a Maricopa County prosecutor to discuss a plea deal for the son. In the fall of 2005, the son pleaded guilty and was sentenced to probation.

In October 2005, after being rebuffed by prosecutors who did not want to give a favorable plea deal to B.M., Gordwin allegedly became worried that B.M. would disclose Gordwin’s ongoing relationship with B.M.’s former wife. At this point, Gordwin made partial admissions about the relationship to his supervisor. When speaking to his supervisor, Gordwin minimized the extent of the relationship, according to the indictment. Even after being ordered to stop seeing the woman, Gordwin allegedly met with her twice, on both occasions asking her to lie to investigators.

An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

The case against Gordwin was investigated by the Department of Justice’s Office of the Inspector General. The case is being prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles, which was assigned the matter after the United States Attorney’s Office in Phoenix was recused.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tron
New User

Reply #76 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 11:03am
Always someone elses fault hey George?  Have you ever actually failed at anything in your life or are you just a perpetual victim from other people holding you back?

Tron

Make believe science is better than make believe integrity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tron
New User

Reply #77 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 11:04am
George, 

If you're wondering why the hostility, need look no further than identifiying someone on one of your posts.

Still pathetic.

Make believe science is better than make believe integrity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

Fed-Up?
Reply #78 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 2:48am
Anyone can come on as a guest, "Fed-up!"

Why don't you register and let us really hammer you?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DoubleTap45
New User

Reply #79 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:31am
I took and PASSED every written exam for the FBI in 2000. In early 2001 I went downtown in NY City for the rest. I passed the interview and then flunked ONE question on the poly.

In High School I did smoke pot maybe 5-7 times. In college maybe another 7 times. The question is whether you smoked marijuana more than 15 times IN YOUR LIFE. Note that point.

They make you reconstruct your life ONLY from your 18th birthday NOT from the day you're born. If you count from my 18th birthday the number can NOT exceed 15 times IF that. They ran the test twice and bounced me out. I have been trapped in a job I HATE because of that for NINE years. I am NOT getting any younger.

HOW, without mortgaging the house to engage a lawyer can I go back and fight this? I am now an ABA-certified paralegal and can't get work doing THAT because I still haven't got a 4 year degree. I am less than 11 months from graduating possibly cum lauded or even magna cum laude with a dual degree in legal studies and criminal justice.

I have MORE qualifications than before and I want IN!!!!!

Any advice? Any advocacy groups who might help?

- The FBI's Most Unwanted Angry

IP Logged

New User

Reply #80 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:34am
And ANOTHER thing!!! While I was trying to get into the Bureau Bobby Hanssen was SELLING OUT THE COUNTRY to the RUSSIANS!!!!! They have the BRASS ONES to keep ME out!!

-The FBI's Most Unwanted Angry

IP Logged

New User

Reply #81 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:36am
Penn and Teller did it BEST on Bullsh!t on Showtime.

-The FBI's Most Unwanted Tongue

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #82 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 1:31am
I was thinking about this the other day.  You mentioned Bob Hanssen.  All of the past spies have made it that much harder for the federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies to give any measure of respect, trust, credibility or fair treatment to both, the new job seekers and their present employees.  I was reading up on Aldrich Ames, Nada Prouty, Jonathan Pollard, Johnny Walker, Edwin Wilson, Edward Howard, James J. Smith, and a number of others that I haven't even touched upon.  All of these people were on the "inside" and seriously damaged the intelligence community.  Guess what?  Our government has a very long memory.  If you look at history, it is easy to see why we are now paying the price for the betrayal that these people have done.  As a result, our government assumes from the onset, that anyone is a threat to national security unless it can be proven through an intrusive vetting process that they are "clear" to be trusted.  Thinking about it, working on the inside in the intelligence community must be an environment filled with an air of paranoia, focused stress, intimidation, and a kind of "reserved" trust that is constantly being verified through a number of tools that are known exclusively to the counter-intelligence arms of these agencies.  I think prior to the actions of these spies, the government was much more trusting (at least to the people who work for them).  It is not that way anymore and many innocent people are "sacrificed" for the perceived "greater good" of preventing another incident of penetration by a well-placed mole.  I think it is unfortunate and sad and wrong.  Trust is a two-way street.  It is something that will never be able to be reversed unless the political will is there.  The intelligence community is too powerful, and financially secure to reverse this course.  One thing I can say is that from what I experienced and have seen, I will never stop speaking out about it.  The public has not heard it all yet, because no one has that big of a voice.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009 at 4:34am by BBernie »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Katelyn Sack
User

Reply #83 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 1:55am
The argument that the polygraph prioritizes national security over individual liberty is a really central one in this debate.  However, this argument is not supported by the evidence. 

When the NAS Committee reviewed the scientific evidence on lie detection, they found no evidence that the polygraph (1) has a deterrent effect on possible spies, (2) has ever caught a spy, or (3)finds baseline truth much better than a coin toss.   

Rather, they found the polygraph is a national security threat, because (1) it gives these agencies a false sense of security, (2) it was historically used by the USG as a political loyalty test, and (3) its known abuses and limitations may keep some of the nation's best and brightest from seeking the positions where they are needed most.   

So if you want to prioritize national security over individual liberty, fine.  Look in my checking account.  Don't pretend you can look inside my heart.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jasc
New User

Reply #84 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 5:31am
Hi George

I wanted to say you are doing a great public service.  It's incredible that tax money is still being financing these charlatans.  Looks like one of them took some exception to the truth - which is par for them.  Best of luck with it and can we please get government to stop paying these people?  Oracles with crystal balls would be more entertaining, cheaper and more effective. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box falsepositive
New User

Reply #85 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:12am
I just have to comment on this thread.

I went into my poly a bit sleep deprived and a little nervous (I really wanted the job). I was completely honest and my polygraph soothsayer accused me of everything from being a john, to drug use, to actually turning my words around. 

I'm so disgusted and taken back by this I wouldnt accept employment with them even if they scrapped the poly and offered me the job tommorrow. This has to stop. That said i'm glad i'm not alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
FBI Polygraph Failure Rate Reportedly Near 50%

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X