Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Federal Anthrax Probe turns to Polygraph (Read 15119 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Federal Anthrax Probe turns to Polygraph
May 23rd, 2002 at 6:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Todays LA Times had this article stating that the FBI will ask hundreds of Federal workers at Ft. Detrick in Maryland and Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah next month as another step in the Anthrax probe. 

The FBI is stating that the testing is "voluntary", yet the Army will cooperate fully. 

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-000036059may22.story?coll=la%2...

The FBI also claims it will need to do 200 to start. This is subject to change if the probe expands to other outposts. 

Lets hope that this group follows the lead of the Energy Dept. people.

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Vance

Re: Federal Anthrax Probe turns to Polygraph
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2002 at 4:32pm
In one of the news articles posted on antipolygraph.org, someone said:

"What you've got is a universe of individuals who could have the knowledge, ability and wherewithal to do this--and how do you separate them? How we're doing that here is by asking them to submit to voluntary polygraphs," said a federal law enforcement official who asked not to be identified. 

To me, this situation sounds like one in which a Concealed Knowledge Test could be used effectively.

-Vance

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2002 at 8:09pm
Vance,

I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of a concealed knowledge test in this situation. What information about the anthrax letters would be known only to the FBI and the perpetrator (or someone otherwise involved in the crime)? The letters have been discussed in detail in the press, and high resolution images of them have been widely disseminated.

And even a concealed- or guilty knowledge test (GKT) would be susceptible to countermeasures. With some 200 potential suspects to be screened, reliance even on a GKT format (beyond exploiting any admissions obtained) might well serve to confuse matters more than clarify them.

In any event, I'm skeptical that the FBI would use a GKT for a purpose such as the proposed polygraph dragnet. FBI polygraphers seem to have great faith in the CQT, which is much easier to construct.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2002 at 1:47am
George/Vance,

This is apparently one of the few times in which I must differ with my highly esteemed colleague, George.  I have in fact suggested to the FBI that they consider using a concealed information test format.  I believe there may well be sufficient information regarding the anthrax prep and dissemination to conduct such an examination.  I have further suggested using central nervous system (CNS) measures in addition to or instead of autonomic nervous system (ANS)-based measures.  The latter recommendation should make the test considerably more robust and less susceptible to countermeasures than a typically performed ANS-based CQT examination, shortcomings of which readers of this site have been made quite aware of.  Although I believe strongly that that which I have just stated to be true, it is proper for me to state (for the benefit of those who may not know) that a company that commercially provides concealed information test examinations for criminal specific testing and specific screening applications now employs me.  These latter applications are not related to the general screening examinations that are routinely administered to job applicants and others and which are the subject of proper criticism on this site.  I however do agree with George that the simple-minded approach of the "Did you do it?" CQT format has been a long standing stumbling block for the polygraph community and could be again.   Hopefully our present and imminent need for meaningful solutions in this case will lift present thinking above that impasse…

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2002 at 8:39am
Drew, Vance,

It's certainly possible that sufficient information regarding the preparation and dissemination of the anthrax letters is available to construct a concealed information test, but another reason for my skepticism regarding this is that FBI investigators, who do not routinely use such tests, may have seen no reason to prevent the dissemination of details that could be used for constructing such a test. Another consideration is that any scientists who have thus far assisted the FBI investigation (and who were earlier vetted with CQT polygraph interrogations), having learned detailed information regarding the case, may no longer be suitable candidates for a concealed information test. (See the ABCNews.com article, "No Suspects, Few Clues")

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2002 at 4:21pm
In recent days, Dr. Steven J. Hatfill, has publicly emerged as the FBI's leading suspect in the ongoing anthrax investigation, though the Bureau has publicly denied that he is a suspect, euphemistically referring to him as a "person of interest." It seems Dr. Hatfill lost his security clearance in July 2001 (shortly before the anthrax mailings) after failing to pass a polygraph screening examination. However, he has reportedly passed an FBI polygraph interrogation regarding the anthrax attacks.

For further reading, see Laura Rozen's 26 June 2002 article, "Who is Steven Hatfill" on the American Prospect website; Scott Shane's article "Scientist theorized anthrax mail attack" (The Baltimore Sun, 27 June 2002); and another article also by Scott Shane, "Freder ick scientist's home searched in anthrax probe" (The Baltimore Sun, 26 June 2002).
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2002 at 6:30pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 2:59am
George Maschke wrote:

Quote:
         In recent days, Dr. Steven J. Hatfill, has publicly emerged as the FBI's leading
         suspect in the ongoing anthrax investigation. It seems he lost his security
         clearance in July 2001 (shortly before the anthrax mailings) after failing to pass
         a polygraph screening examination. However, he has reportedly passed an FBI
         polygraph interrogation regarding the anthrax attacks.

So why did the FBI wait 6 months before going after this guy, do ONE polygraph, proclaim his "innocence" ? Wen Ho Lee, after passing SEVERAL polygraphs which the FBI claims he didn't, spends many months in federal prison only to get charged with taking home "sensitive" materials. The esteemed Dr. should have been "detained" and polygraphed several times ala Dr. Lee. 

The articles George has linked to tell a torrid tale about Dr. Hatfill. However, since he did pass a polygraph once, he is dismissed as a probable and "released" from the defense contractor he worked for.

Hmmm, disgruntled scientist, knowledge of bioterrorism, passed polygraph. 

Did Dr. Hatfill find this site and use countermeasures during his polygraph?

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 7:42am
Fred,

With regard to Wen Ho Lee, note that he passed one polygraph "test" in the "Kindred Spirit" investigation: that administered by the Department of Energy in December 1998. Then, in February 1999, he "failed" a polygraph administered by the FBI. (There is reason to suspect that this latter "test" was rigged; see Chapter 2 of the 2nd ed. of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for details.) In addition, Dr. Lee was never charged with taking any classified material home. Rather, the charges involved copying data designated "PARD" ("Protect as Restricted Data") from a classified to a non-classified partition of Los Alamos National Laboratory's computer system, and to back-up tapes.

When you write that Dr. Hatfill "should have been 'detained' and polygraphed several times ala Dr. Lee" I hope you're being facetious!

The information in the above-linked articles raises some questions about Dr. Hatfill; I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's the perpetrator of the anthrax attacks, however. Bear in mind, for example, how David A. Tenenbaum, Wen Ho Lee, and retired Navy petty officer Daniel M. King were publicly portrayed before trumped up allegations against them collapsed.

But it is entirely possible that the FBI did not scrutinize Dr. Hatfill as closely and as promptly as it might otherwise have done, since, after all, he had passed a polygraph "test" regarding the anthrax mailings. Nonetheless, it's clear after the FBI search of his home last week that the Bureau still considers him a suspect.

It seems reasonable to suppose that many of the laboratory employees polygraphed in the ongoing anthrax investigation will have learned about polygraph countermeasures, whether from this website or other sources, just as many employees at the national atomic weapons laboratories have done.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2002 at 9:45am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 1:13pm
The South African Independent Online website has an article by Tony Weaver dated 1 July 2002 and titled, "AWB sympathiser quizzed over anthrax killings." The article, which does not address the use of polygraphs in the anthrax investigation, provides information about Dr. Hatfill during the years he spent in Africa.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2002 at 12:56pm
Drew, Vance,

After reading Dr. Barbara Hatch Rosenberg's Analysis of the Anthrax Attacks on the Federation of American Scientists website, I'm more optimistic that there might be sufficient information about the preparation and dissemination of the anthrax letters with which to construct a concealed information test, at least for some (but perhaps not all) of those who have come under suspicion.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2002 at 6:09pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2002 at 12:33pm
There's an article about Steven Hatfill in today's (11 August 2002) Washington Post by Tom Jackman titled, "Ex-Army Scientist Denies Role in Anthrax Attacks." The article is based largely on an interview Jackson conducted with Dr. Hatfill and his lawyer, Victor M. Glasberg.

Among other things, Jackman reports that after the FBI's June search of Dr. Hatfill's premises, the Bureau asked him to submit to yet another lie-detector "test," which his lawyer (Glasberg) advised against.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PROAc
New User

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 5:14am
I read two newspaper articles (one in Insight and one in AP). Basically, the doctor lied about his background in Africa. Well if you're a white man in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) or South Africa, either you're anti-black or pro-blacks. Most investigators and polygraphers don't understand international relations. "Was the ANC a pro-terrorist group or not? Was Mandela a terrorist or not? Umm, I don't know!!!!"
Apparently Hatfill did not served in the Rhodesia Special Air Service (over 300 white Army guys) or the Selous Scouts (200-400 white men with 1,700 blacks) and was the most destructive counter-guerrillas group ever.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 5:34pm
Fox News had reported that this fellow passed one FBI polygraph administered as a part of the anthrax investigation. Can anyone give an accurate count as to how many polygraphs this man has undergone? By my count it's four-- three allegedly failed CIA-administered, one passed FBI-administered, and one refusal on his part to take another based on attorney's advice.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2002 at 9:38pm
beech trees,

Where did you read/hear that Steven Hatfill failed three CIA-administered polygraph examinations?

Laura Rozen reported in June that Dr. Hatfill had failed a CIA pre-employment polygraph exam last summer, but passed an FBI-administered exam regarding the anthrax mailings.

But in today's New York Times, in an op-ed piece titled, "The Anthrax Files," Nicholas D. Kristof writes that Dr. Hatfill "has...failed three successive polygraph examinations since January, and canceled plans for another polygraph exam two weeks ago."

That would suggest a total of five completed polygraph examinations, though I haven't found any other published references to the three failed polygraph examinations this year to which Kristof refers.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2002 at 10:07am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2002 at 3:29pm
A continuing expose on possible FBI malfeasance concerning Dr. Hatfill may be read here. Fair use quote:

Quote:
And at least one knowledgeable congressional aide said that while there is no proof of an effort to frame Hatfill, the public relations benefits of conducting a well-publicized search are impossible to ignore. ''There's nothing like having a bunch of guys in FBI windbreakers carting out someone's stuff'' to give the media and the public the impression that something is being accomplished, the aide said.

This case is of particular interest to the polygraph discussion as both the press and the FBI have alleged at various times that Dr. Hatfill failed [repeated] polygraph interrogations, something that both he and his lawyer vigorously deny.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2002 at 6:21pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Federal Anthrax Probe turns to Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X