Normal Topic NO MORE POLY FOR PHILLY (Read 7946 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jn50
New User

NO MORE POLY FOR PHILLY
May 21st, 2002 at 9:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AS OF TODAY MAY21 THE PHILADELPHIA POLICE CHIEF HAS DONE AWAY WITH GIVING NEW RECRUITS THE POLYGRAPH

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Passedbutfailed
New User

Re: NO MORE POLY FOR PHILLY
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 5:58am
Please cite precedent, jn50

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2002 at 6:17am
Passedbutfailed,

I'm not sure what you mean about 'precedent." But if you want to see jn50's claim backed up by a citation, see "Police Applicants No Longer Face Lie-Detector Tests." This article was published in the May 21, 2002 edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Quote:
In a major policy shift, candidates for the Philadelphia Police Department will no longer have to pass a lie-detector test to be accepted to the force, according to a directive from Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson. 

The order takes effect immediately, affecting a new list of prospective officers who have yet to complete their qualifications for the department. 

"We just have a brand-new list [of candidates], and I've talked to the deputy commissioner of Internal Affairs indicating that I want nobody on that list to be polygraphed," Johnson said in an interview yesterday. 

The commissioner said he made the decision after a review of the policy by a panel that included Fraternal Order of Police president Richard Costello; Maureen Rush, vice president of public safety at the University of Pennsylvania; and city lawyers. 

"What I am trying to do is make our system fair and consistent for everyone," said Johnson, discussing the policy that was first implemented in the late 1970s, several years before the force began reeling from major corruption probes that reached into the highest ranks. 

"I think that there are a lot of applicants who we've lost who would have made outstanding police officers that, because they couldn't pass the polygraph, were rejected," the commissioner said. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 1:49pm
Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey is re-instituting the polygraph screening requirement for recruits:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/?p=555

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:27am
Since the re-institution of polygraph screening this year, the Philadelphia Police Department's pre-employment polygraph failure rate stands at 63%:

https://antipolygraph.org/blog/?p=603

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

NO MORE POLY FOR PHILLY

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X