Normal Topic Polygraph records question (Read 5833 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Polygraph records question
May 10th, 2002 at 6:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have some questions that someone knowledgable may be able to answer.

If you had an FBI job offer revoked several years ago because you purportedly failed a pre-employment polygraph, and now you have accepted a job offer with the Department of Justice that requires a background investigation for a top secret security clearance, but does not require a polygraph, will the issue of the prior polygraph results or the FBI's revoking the job offer come up during the background investigation.  Are FBI pre-employment polygraph records or job applicant records kept on a database or index that is searched as part of Department of Justice background investigations (which presumably are conducted by the FBI)?  Is this something that you should proactively bring up if not asked about?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box another guest

Re: Polygraph records question
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2002 at 9:14pm
In addition to the below, a lot of fed agencies do not require a poly. But I hear some will still automatically DQ you if you've "failed" a poly, even though that agency does not require one. Does anyone have a list of who the good guys and the bad guys are?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2002 at 9:35pm
I think so. I hear all fed agencies send their background apps to the OPM for a "national agency check with inquiry".

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2002 at 5:22am
GM, what's your advice?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2002 at 5:46am
Guest,

You should have a file at FBI HQ, and I suspect that a record of that file's existence will show up in the course of a DOJ background investigation. I would not proactively bring up the issue of the polygraph unless specifically asked about it.

To find out what's in your FBI file (and what admissions your FBI polygrapher may have attributed to you), I suggest that you file a Privacy Act request. See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for pointers in this regard.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2002 at 4:04am
Secret Service told me I failed a poly a while back. Shortlythereafter, I received another conditional offer from a fed agency that does not require a poly. But they also failed by background solely based on the Secret Service poly. I hear some fed agencies will automatically DQ you if you've failed a poly w/ someone else, while others will do their own BI. Does anyone know which fed agencies will still do a BI if, you've "failed a poly" w/ someone else, and still give you a fair shake?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box amom

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2002 at 4:39am
Hello everyone - I havd a question that I would love some input on.  Do you think that being hypnoized prior to taking a polygraph can help you pass it.  And also, do you think going to an outside poligifer and have test runs on a poly would help someone pass?  I ask this as I am aware of a situation where someone has taken the test ans was completely honest but failed anyway.  This person had been accused of a petty wrong doing and was honest yet, because this person was so nervous abouth being grilled about the situation and having it ruin his chances,  some thing went wrong and the test came back as inconclusive or failed.  It was for a law enforcement agency so this person will never really know the true result.  As in most cases  with law enforcement a inconclusive result is the same as a failure.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  This person if thinking about re-applying and the poly would still be part of the process.  This person is so up-tight about taking or re-taking the poly he feels he would fail at just being basically scared to death. He and I both thought about the hypnosis and putting the petty situation out of his mind forever.  Could that possibly be picked up on a poly?  Would practicing the poly with a outside examiner help!!!! Any innformation any one has would be again greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box no one

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2002 at 4:09am
Does anyone know anyone else who allegedly failed a poly with a fed agency, but was successful in getting on board with another fed agency? And if so, which agency that might be? I'm just wondering if there are fed agencies out there who actually do their own BI and review, even if an applicant "failed" a poly with another agency.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2002 at 10:51am

Quote:

Hello everyone - I havd a question that I would love some input on.  Do you think that being hypnoized prior to taking a polygraph can help you pass it.  And also, do you think going to an outside poligifer and have test runs on a poly would help someone pass?  I ask this as I am aware of a situation where someone has taken the test ans was completely honest but failed anyway.  This person had been accused of a petty wrong doing and was honest yet, because this person was so nervous abouth being grilled about the situation and having it ruin his chances,  some thing went wrong and the test came back as inconclusive or failed.  It was for a law enforcement agency so this person will never really know the true result.  As in most cases  with law enforcement a inconclusive result is the same as a failure.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  This person if thinking about re-applying and the poly would still be part of the process.  This person is so up-tight about taking or re-taking the poly he feels he would fail at just being basically scared to death. He and I both thought about the hypnosis and putting the petty situation out of his mind forever.  Could that possibly be picked up on a poly?  Would practicing the poly with a outside examiner help!!!! Any innformation any one has would be again greatly appreciated.
Thanks! 

I am aware of no evidence suggesting that hypnosis is of any use in improving one's chances of passing a polygraph interrogation. The key to passing is to make no substantive admissions and to produce stronger reactions to the so-called "control" questions than to the relevant questions. You'll find all this explained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which may be downloaded for free from this website. This person you know would be well advised to read it carefully before his next polygraph interrogation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Polygraph records question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X