Normal Topic CIA FOIA Request (Read 22635 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

CIA FOIA Request
Apr 18th, 2002 at 10:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On 12 March 2002, I filed two Freedom of Information Act requests with the CIA for:

1) "any report(s) on the history of the CIA polygraph division, including, but not limited to, any written by former CIA polygrapher John F. Sullivan" and

2) "documentation of any standardized briefing provided to CIA employees or applicants prior to their taking polygraph examinations, whether on paper, videotape, or any other media."

In a reply dated 26 March 2002, CIA Information and Privacy Coordinater Kathryn I. Dyer wrote back, stating that I must agree to pay estimated costs of up to $150 per request before the CIA will take further action on them. Fees would be payable even if the CIA ultimately decides to withhold the requested information.

Fees would accrue for time spent searching for the requested items beyond the first two hours, which are free. While I think that I've described the documents requested well enough that they should be findable within the two free hours allotted per request, I'm left to contemplate whether I can afford the possible charges of up to $300 associated with these requests.

If anyone else would be willing to share the costs of these FOIA requests with me, if indeed fees are incurred, please let me know to what extent you are willing to help, either through a post to the message board or by private e-mail to me at maschke@antipolygraph.org.

Ms. Dyer seeks a response from me within 45 days of the date of her letter, that is, by 10 May.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2003 at 1:35pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: Passing the Hat for CIA FOIA Request
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2002 at 4:11pm
George,

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought there was a Federal  statute that prohibited charges greater than $50.00 for FOIA requests..... regardless, it would appear the CIA is trying to extort you.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Concerned

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2002 at 6:14am
Seems that you do not have the following you thought you did...or at least not as committed as you would like them.....hey maybe you can sell tickets to Drew's Countermeasure show.....naw!...there won't be any takers.....

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

UPDATE
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2002 at 9:16am
Thanks to all who have contacted me thus far (27 Apr.) regarding sharing the costs of this FOIA request. Here are our collective commitments to covering potential search fees that the CIA may charge:

1 x up to $20
3 x up to $50
1 x up to $100
1 x up to $300

If any others would also be willing to help share the burden, please let me know. What I suggest we do is to distribute any charges amongst ourselves as equitably as possible without any person exceeding his/her commitment.

I'll be sending a reply to Ms. Dyer in the coming week asking her to proceed with these two FOIA requests.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2002 at 9:33am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2002 at 9:31am
beech trees,

Quote:
I'm probably mistaken, but I thought there was a Federal  statute that prohibited charges greater than $50.00 for FOIA requests..... regardless, it would appear the CIA is trying to extort you.

No, there's no such limitation. Although the CIA's estimated search fees seem exorbitant, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that they're acting in bad faith on this. But I do think the information in the two requests is well enough described that search time for each should be under two hours (unless the CIA searches with one eye closed).

Concerned,

Quote:
Seems that you do not have the following you thought you did...or at least not as committed as you would like them.....hey maybe you can sell tickets to Drew's Countermeasure show.....naw!...there won't be any takers.....

Your snide remarks reflect poorly on yourself, and on the polygraph community.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2002 at 2:52pm
Put me down for $50.00 George.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BrokenHeart

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 5:52am
We cannot tell you how hurt we are......We wonder if you will tell all those who read your postings how you handle people who write things that you do not like and want to quiet them!...and after you told them again and again that this BBS is an open forum.....what a hypocrite!.......Never mind...We will pass the word.....Hey all...when George and company do not like what you say.....you will see the following message pop up when attempting to post:

INVALID CHARACTER USED IN EMAIL

You will then effectively be kept from posting......Shame on you George...shame, shame, shame

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BEAR

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 7:26am
Broken heart
Are you suggesting that George and Gino are reading post as they are posted or that they are censored somehow? Does anyone have the time to sit by the computer and read every post? Every time I have posted the post goes directly to the forum. Furthermore, if you would take the time to read the post in this forum you can see many post that they would not agree with but they still appear. Maybe you should actually check the email address you entered before making such comments. Your fear of our knowledge is showing.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 8:44am

Quote:

We cannot tell you how hurt we are......We wonder if you will tell all those who read your postings how you handle people who write things that you do not like and want to quiet them!...and after you told them again and again that this BBS is an open forum.....what a hypocrite!.......Never mind...We will pass the word.....Hey all...when George and company do not like what you say.....you will see the following message pop up when attempting to post:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?INVALID CHARACTER USED IN EMAIL

You will then effectively be kept from posting......Shame on you George...shame, shame, shame 

Concerned/BrokenHeart,

Your assumption that we're attempting to censor posts here is as premature (and wrong) as your earlier assumption about the level of public interest in the CIA FOIA requests.

I'm not sure what aspect of any attempted post may have resulted in the "Invalid Character Used in E-mail" message, but it certainly wasn't the result of me or anyone else pre-screening the content of your posts. Any error messages are generated automatically by the software that runs this message board.

For ease of posting, you might care to become a registered user of the message board, as several other polygraph proponents have done. For this purpose, you might wish to create a free, anonymous, and secure e-mail account with ZipLip.com to enter when registering.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 11:10pm
BrokenHearted,

George is correct in saying that your character faults are not caused by him banning/blocking your messages.  First, this would not be the fault message received if he where blocking/banning your messages.  Second, George and I have debated over vast issues and not once has my original information been altered, deleted, or changed for any reason other then to correct invalid/incompatible code problems.

It is hard to prove or disprove how many 'spies' have been 'caught' by the polygraph.  Polygraph is rarely referred to in-depth in the minuscule amount of publicized espionage cases, for obvious national security reasons.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2002 at 2:57pm
J.B. McCloughan wrote on Apr 28th, 2002 at 11:10pm:
It is hard to prove or disprove how many 'spies' have been 'caught' by the polygraph.  Polygraph is rarely referred to in-depth in the minuscule amount of publicized espionage cases, for obvious national security reasons.

Well, the most informed source one could hope for, ex-CIA Director John Deutch said something quite different

Edward Curran also confirmed (see same thread as above) in a televised interview that no spy has ever been caught with a polygraph interrogation.

So, when comparing the veracity and accuracy between anonymous posters on the Internet who's livelihood depends upon deceiving others, and the words of an ex CIA Director and the head of the CIA's counterintelligence efforts , I think I'll choose the latter two.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

UPDATE
Reply #11 - May 7th, 2002 at 5:42am
Today (6 May) I faxed a letter to the CIA FOIA office agreeing to pay fees of up to $150 per request and requesting information on how to contact the person who handles appeals of fee determinations, as I'll be appealing Ms. Dyer's decision not to waive fees with regard to these requests.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

CIA Waives Fees
Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2002 at 8:14pm
I received today a letter dated 11 September 2002 from Kathryn I. Dyer, the CIA's Information and Privacy coordinator,  informing me that the CIA has accepted both requests (she still refers to them as a single request) and has determined that no fees will be charged.

She also writes that because of the large number of requests received, the Agency will not be able to respond within the 20 days stipulated by the FOIA. She does not provide an approximate date by which a response is anticipated.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: CIA FOIA Request
Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2003 at 1:39pm
Here is a summary and an update. As long-time readers will recall, on 12 March 2002 AntiPolygraph.org filed two Freedom of Information Act requests with the Central Intelligence Agency for:

1) "any report(s) on the history of the CIA polygraph division, including, but not limited to, any written by former CIA polygrapher John F. Sullivan"

2) "documentation of any standardized briefing provided to CIA employees or applicants prior to their taking polygraph examinations, whether on paper, videotape, or any other media."

These requests are avaiable here, respectively:

http://antipolygraph.org/foia/foia-008.shtml

http://antipolygraph.org/foia/foia-009.shtml

The CIA conisdered these requests jointly, assigning them reference number F-2002-00237, and initially demanded a commitment to pay search fees estimated at $300 before it would process these request:

http://antipolygraph.org/foia/foia-008-1.shtml

However, upon appeal, the Agency yielded and waived search fees:

http://antipolygraph.org/foia/foia-008-2.shtml

Finally, on 2 October 2003, the CIA reported that it had found no records responsive to AntiPolygraph.org's request with respect to a history of the CIA polygraph division. Regarding our request for documentation of any standardized pre-polygraph briefings, the CIA reported that "we located material which we have determined is properly classified and must be denied in its entirety on the basis of FOIA exemptions (b)(1) and (b)(3)":

http://antipolygraph.org/foia/foia-008-3.shtml

The CIA invites me to appeal this denial, asking that I explain the basis for any appeal. However, the CIA egregiously failed to comply with the FOIA requirement that in denying a request, an estimate of the amount of matter withheld be provided. See 5 U.S.C. 552 (a)(6)(f). Without some reasonable description of the withheld information, it will be difficult to adequately explain the basis for any appeal.

I will  be contacting the CIA FOIA office to request a description of the withheld material before filing any appeal. If anyone has any suggestions on appealing this decision, I would be grateful. One point that comes to mind is that since the CIA's pre-polygraph briefing is presented to applicants who presumably have no security clearance, the argument that briefing materials are properly classified in their entirety and cannot be released fails the "giggle test."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

CIA FOIA Request

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X