Normal Topic Will GSR Monitor help prepare? (Read 2974 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box erhdgs
New User

Will GSR Monitor help prepare?
Apr 5th, 2002 at 11:05am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I will be taking the poly for pre-employment purposes for a PD within 6 to 9 months.  I'm trying to leave myself plenty of time to prepare and become proficient with the techniques.

I saw in a thread on this board, an in home GSR monitor could be picked up from bio medical.com for 60 bucks.  I was hoping this would be a good way to confirm to me the process was working, and build my confidence in what I'm about to undertake.

This is my second serious attempt at applying with the PD's.  My first time around I made it all the way through to the poly, took the poly, and DI'd, though I had been brutally honest during the pre-poly and during the poly, and had nothing in my past which would disqualify me.  I was completely shocked when I found out I DI'd, as I had believed the poly worked.  That information was further shared with a second PD I had applied with, which I had scored very well on all phases with, and I never heard from them as well. The resulting shock, shame, and heartbreak kept me from applying again for the next 6 years.  I dropped my life long dream that I had worked towards my entire young adulthood and adult life.

I've decided to give it another go before I'm too old to do so, and before I have to live with the regret the rest of my life, of not having tried again.

I am still angry and bitter over it as I've felt like I "failed" all these years, and living with the shame I felt for something I had nothing to be shameful of.  After spending the past 2 days on this board, I now know I did not fail, the system failed me.

I won't let this happen again.  I'm going to begin the process and figure a poly is 6 to 9 months out, hopefully plenty of time to prepare.

Will this thing (GSR Monitor) work as an indication the counter measures are working?  I imagine it is the same principle behind the GSR response on the poly?  I will be scared to death going into it this time if I cannot gain some confidence that I can pass what I should have passed 6 years ago.

I'm actually considering hiring a poly examiner to run a test on me before hand.

Thanks for any info.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AMM
User

Re: Will GSR Monitor help prepare?
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2002 at 2:55am
erhdgs,

First, stop beating yourself up over your first polygraph results.  You told the truth and have nothing to be ashamed of.  Second, you should feel much better from the knowledge that countermeasures do in fact work-I am living proof.  Despite total honesty, I was DQ'd on my Police polygraph. I  successfully disputed the results and was forced to sit for another "exam" which I passed with flying colors by employing countermeasures.

You've already taken a huge step in the right direction by coming to this site and arming yourself with knowledge.  If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you download and read the "Lie Behind the Lie Dectector."  It is imperative that you understand how to distinguish Relevant from Control questions.  Without that understanding, countermeasures are useless.  (You might also consider ordering Doug Williams' manual from: www.polygraph.com.  It costs about $50, and while it has a lot of the same info as the "Lie Behind....", you  can't have too much information on this subject. Most importantly, it gives you direct access to him for your questions.  I used it in addition to the info at this site, and it worked for me.)

In another thread, I remember someone experimenting with a home blood pressure machine to see if countermeasures applied during Control questions affected his BP or not.  He/she reported that they did, and I independently verified it when someone in my family happend to buy one.   Squeezing the anal spinchter muscle does in fact produce a significant change in BP.  I suppose the GSR would help you gauge whether or not your countermeasures are effective, but it is my understanding that GSR is the least important of the measurements used during a polygraph.

The bottom line is that you need to: understand the difference between relevant and control questions; practice your countermeasures; and do whatever it takes to build your confidence.  Believe me, although you will still be nervous, you will feel much better knowing that you are in control.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2002 at 5:05am
Erhdgs,

I concur with AMM. There is NO reason to beat yourself up becuase of a polygraph "DI". I failed two polygraphs before I found this site and became empowered with the TRUTH. 

You need to read The Lie Behind The Lie Detector. You will discover how you were systematically lied to and manipulated by the polygrapher. Remember that GET EDUCATED, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Go out and pass your next poly.

Here is a nice quote to think about

Its never to late to be what you might have been......George Eliot

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ehdgs

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2002 at 5:01am
Thanks for the replies.

I am no longer kicking myself over this, just bitter I guess.  Best as I can tell from what I've read on this board, is the reason for the DI was the very reason they run the poly, to see who's truthful.  I was too truthful.  I wanted this job so badly.  I was given the pre-poly questionaire by mail a month before hand, so had plenty of time to think of anything I ever did.  Even wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget during the pre-poly.

During the pre-poly interview, when he was asking about "lying to anyone in authority" and "have you ever stolen anything from a place of work" (questions I now know to be control questions, and supposed to show a response) I answered as truthfully as my memory allowed.  I didn't have much to come forth with, as I've basically been an honest person all my life, as my pursuit was a career in law enforcement since I was a kid.

It is almost (I said almost) funny to me now, that I remember when he was interviewing regarding the two above control questions, I kept giving answers about everything I could remember.  I remember him appearing frustrated and giving me the "this department frowns on thievery and lieing" speach, especially when I kept going on about teenage misdeeds.  Started shaking his head, and "hmmm" ing all over the place.  But, I was bound and determined to tell the entire truth and pass the poly with flying colors, as I knew I had done nothing that would disqualify me, but that lying about it would.

I am now certain that answering these questions so truthfully is what caused my DI.  Funny that it was these questions that after I got the DI news (and for the past 7 years) I was thinking got me DI'd.  At the time I was very comfortable that I had told the truth on them, but later I wondered if I left something out, and subconciously I knew it?  Until I got the results though, I was very confident there were no problems.  I was relaxed throughout the procedure because I had nothing to hide.  I also had occasion to witness no less than 5 polygraphs as an investigator, so it was nothing new to me, and the poly in and of itself didn't scare me.  If only I had known.

A stim test was done, then the following questions:

1.  Other than what we've discussed, have you ever stolen anything from a place of work? (control)

2.  Other than what we've discussed, have you ever lied to a person in a position of authority? (control)

3.  Have you lied on your application about your qualifications for this job? (relevant?)

4.  Have you ever used, sold, or possessed illegal drugs? (relevant)  My answer was no, never have, other than during the course of my duties in a previous law enforcement position.  Never even smoked a joint.  Why?  I wanted to be a cop.  Laughable.

5.  Have you ever molested a child? (relevant)

6.  Have you committed any felony crime that has gone undetected?  (relevant)

And a couple others I don't remember (name, etc, irrelevant)

This last one he asked me twice, once at the beginning of the test and once at the ending.  Strange I thought at the time.  From what I've read here, I guess they do that for "shock value"?

Also, during the test, he directed I keep my eyes closed throughout the test until he told me to open them.  Don't understand what that was about yet, but it made me pretty  uneasy.

So, that's my story.  Hope someone else benefits from it.  I plan on benefitting from what I've read here.  Next time I'll be informed, and ready.

Funny it took the polygraph and applying for a law enforcement job to make a lier out of me.  Or, is that just tragic? Angry

IP Logged

Will GSR Monitor help prepare?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X