Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What's more effective than the polygraph? (Read 44775 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gordon H. Barland
Senior User

Re: What's more effective than the polygraph?
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 9:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George,

You said:
Quote:
Polygraphy may be useful for bluffing admissions out of deluded subjects who believe in the lie detector, but as Drew Richardson observed in a memo to the FBI Laboratory director, "a technique which has no diagnostic value would require such a universal bluff and disinformation campaign as to be impractical, if not comical, to continue over a period of time."

One of the nice things about the polygraph is that it doesn't require that people believe in it for it to work.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between a person's belief in it and its accuracy.

I disagree with Drew's assertion that it has no diagnostic value.  Decades of research published in peer reviewed scientific journals is remarkably consistent in showing that it distinguishes between truthful and deceptive groups of subjects at levels well beyond chance.

You also asked:
Quote:
How long do you suppose the polygraph charade can continue?

First, it is not a charade.  Second, it shows no signs of discontinuing.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 10:54pm
Gordon,

Quote:
One of the nice things about the polygraph is that it doesn't require that people believe in it for it to work.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between a person's belief in it and its accuracy.

On the basis of what evidence do you make this statement?

Quote:
I disagree with Drew's assertion that it has no diagnostic value. Decades of research published in peer reviewed scientific journals is remarkably consistent in showing that it distinguishes between truthful and deceptive groups of subjects at levels well beyond chance.

While polygraphers may succeed in manipulating many subjects such that the truthful respond more strongly to the "control" questions and the deceptive to the relevant, the lack of standardization and control that beset CQT polygraphy prevent it from having any diagnostic value.

Quote:
First, it is not a charade.  Second, it shows no signs of discontinuing.

CQT polygraphy most certainly is a charade, Gordon: it fundamentally depends on the polygrapher lying to and deceiving the subject throughout the procedure, as is well-documented in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Perhaps if you look closely enough, you'll see the handwriting on the wall that spells polygraphy's demise here on AntiPolygraph.org.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 11:55pm
Quote:

beech trees,

Hang in there, good buddy.  I'm replying to the arguments by going down the list.  But at the risk of repeating myself, my time is limited.  I leave shortly for the University of Virginia, where I'm teaching in an advanced course to another group of Federal polygraph examiners.  The work counts towards a Master's degree.  Those who claim the polygraph isn't scientific choose to ignore the continual upgrading of standards and training.

Dr. Barland,

If you're going down the list, shouldn't you be doing it chronologically?

Ten months to respond to a question you yourself characterized as dear to your heart boggles the mind! Meanwhile, you post other thoughts/observations and respond to other, later posts with amazing alacrity. Is the formulation of a response really so time-consuming?

Also, could you please respond to my earlier question in this very thread and post any cases that back up your earlier statement:

Quote:
My point is that a number of spies and would-be spies HAVE been detected by the polygraph.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 12:12am
George,

Worthy of reply though it is, your last post is off topic for this thread.  I really want to reply to beech trees, Fred F and Mark Mallah regarding their on-topic posts, however inadequately, before I leave.

I would point out, however, that you were the first to raise the issue that belief in the polygraph is necessary.  Therefore, I would ask you what evidence you have to support your assertion (in a different thread).

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 12:35am
My question was: What single screening measure is more effective than the polygraph at catching spies?  As I understand them, these are the replies to date:

1).  therock suggested more comprehensive background investigations.  I replied that I meant current screening procedures.  No one else seems to be supporting background investigations as currently conducted as being more effective than the polygraph.

2).  George's position is that no screening measure can catch spies.

3).  beech trees' position seems to be that the polygraph hasn't caught any spy.

4).Fred F's position is that it has missed some important spies.

5).  Mark Mallah believes the polygraph should be abolished because it does more harm than good.

If I am mischaracterizing anybody's position, PLEASE let me know!

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 12:52am
beech trees,

I'm aware of quite a few spies and would-be spies who have been detected by routine security screening polygraph exams.  When I get the time, I would like to list them all.  Until then, let me point you in the direction of a major spy it detected.  This is a copy of a posting I made some time ago on a different list, so my apologies if the format is poor when copied onto this bulletin board.

The role of the polygraph in detecting Harold J. Nicholson's espionage activity is described in the FBI's affidavit in support of complaint, arrest warrant and search warrants located at:
http://www.loyola.edu/dept/politics/intel/nich-aff.html.  The applicable paragraphs are:

[Beginning of extract]

The Investigation

Polygraphs

10. On or about October 16, 1995, and October 20, 1995, NICHOLSON underwent polygraph examinations administered by CIA polygraphers as part of his routine security update. A computerized review the examination results indicated a .97 (out of 1.0) probability of deception on two questions: (1)
Are you hiding involvement with a Foreign Intelligence Service? and (2) Have you had unauthorized contact with a Foreign Intelligence Service? During one of the examinations, a CIA polygrapher deemed NICHOLSON's response "inconclusive" to the following question: "Are you concealing contact with any Foreign Nationals?"

11. On or about December 4, 1995, NICHOLSON underwent a third polygraph examination administered by a CIA polygrapher. A computerized review of the examination revealed an .88 probability of deception on the following
questions: (1) Since 1990, have you had contact with a Foreign Intelligence Service that you are trying to hide from the CIA? and (2) Are you trying to hide any contact with a Foreign Intelligence Service since 1990? The CIA examiner noted that NICHOLSON appeared to be trying to manipulate the test by taking deep breaths on the control questions, which stopped after a verbal warning.

12. By reviewing CIA records and NICHOLSON's frequent flyer records and financial records from 1994 through early 1996, the FBI uncovered a pattern of twice yearly foreign travel, followed by unexplained deposits and payments to NICHOLSON's accounts.

[End of extract.  My comment follows.]

From this, it would appear that the polygraph provided the first evidence of his espionage, and that an full investigation started as a result of the polygraph outcomes.

Peace.

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 1:22am
Fred F. wrote that the polygraph missed Ames, Montes, and Lee.

Who can disagree with the statement that the polygraph missed some important spies?  Sure it has, but what diagnostic test is perfect?  The more important issues are what proportion of spies does it catch (the sensitivity of the test), and what proportion of nonspies does it correctly exclude from suspicion (the specificity of the test).

Even if the polygraph could detect only ten or twenty percent of the spies -- and I think it does far better than that, -- what other screening technique has a 10 to 20 percent chance of detecting them within a similar half day period?

To calculate the polygraph's sensitivity and specificity, we need data on how many spies were examined on the polygraph while they were spying, and what the outcomes of those tests were; and how many non-spies were examined, and the outcome of those exams.

The number of spies currently operating who were incorrectly cleared on the polygraph is unknowable, just as we also don't know how many spies are currently operating who have never been examined on the polygraph.  In time, we will become aware of some, but always too late.

The intelligence agencies are understandably reluctant to release information about what led to the detection of a spy, for that type of feedback to the foreign intelligence services can only make it harder to catch their spies in the future.  In some cases it comes out.  In many others it remains highly classified.  This is one reason why some polygraph successes remain unsung.

Incidentally, that same line of reasoning is why I refuse to discuss how Federal examiners are able to detect some unknowable proportion of people who use countermeasures on the polygraph; that would enable the Williamses, Maschkes and Scalabrinis of the world to improve their advice, which would damage the national security even more.

Fred, I've got a question for you:  Ames and Montes continued to spy after their polygraph exams; in my book the polygraph process missed them.  You included Lee in with them.  Is it your opinion Lee was a spy and he passed the polygraph, or that he was not a spy and the polygraph branded him a liar?

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 1:29am
Gordon,

Your information about Nicholson is incorrect.  CIA Director Deutch was asked directly whether suspicion fell on Nicholson because of the polygraph, and he hedged quite a bit.  That suggests to me that it was not the polygraph that caught him (since he did not affirm that it did when given the opportunity), but some other source he did not want to reveal.  Maybe a recruitment or defector  Wink

I don't have his quote available with me now, but I will attempt to dig it up.  Apologies in advance because I lost the newspaper source in which it appeared.  I imagine it can be tracked down.

Also, nothing in the FBI affidavit indicates whether the polygraph confirmed or first uncovered Nicholson's activities.  I think your suggestion that it first uncovered his activities is completely unsupported by the section you included.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 1:40am
Mark,

Your view is that the polygraph harms national security because the overall impact of the errors (false positives and negatives) is greater than the overall benefit (true positives and negatives).

As you well know, this is an extremely complex issue that cannot be easily resolved.  Lots of the data necessary to make these calculations is unavailable, and likely to remain so.  Moreover, such calculations are inevitably subjective.  How many false positives does it take to outweigh one true positive?  You might as well ask how many stars are in the sky.

Moreover, merely defining how the polygraph should turn out in order to be deemed a correct versus an incorrect outcome, is often difficult, for there are many ambiguities in real-life screening situations.  For example, if a person is not a spy, but has knowingly and deliberately mishandled classified information in a significant way which he is deliberately concealing from the examiner, should the polygraph show he is telling the complete truth, or should it show that he is concerned about the relevant issue on the test?  I believe this is a source of many claims of a false positive by the poor person caught in that dilemna and who chooses not to discuss the problem with the examiner when the reactions are brought to his attention. 

All I can say is that the polygraph has caught many more spies than the critics are aware of.  The policy makers, looking at the cost/benefit information available to them, obviously conclude that the benefits outweigh the costs.  Their information is obviously incomplete as well, but it is likely more complete than that available to the general public.

It will be interesting to see what the National Science Foundation committee concludes.

Peace,

Gordon

Gordon H. Barland
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 2:20am
Gordon,

I agree that there is some complexity to the analysis, but it is not entirely subjective.  Certainly we know that the polygraph has done grave harm in the form of Ames, Chin, Montes, and CIA intelligence operations in Cuba (even before Montes).  This is certainly a high pile of garbage.  All of it can't be blamed on the polygraph, but some of it can.  It is going to take a lot of construction work to erect a benefits pile that reaches higher than that.  So far I have not seen them, nor have you really detailed any.

Do you have any supporting data on these security violations?  My experience and assessment is that examiners with "deceptive" charts want to validate them in any way possible with a confession at best, but they'll take a damaging admission on security, even if they have to manufacture one.  And I can tell you this: there is nary a soul in the intelligence community who can withstand a full-on scrutiny as to whether he or she has ever violated some security procedure at some point in their career.  For example, people talk to their spouses.  Even the most scrupulous inadvertently reveal things that a foreign intelligence service might find of some valule.  These and other security related peccadillos happen all the time in hundreds of innocuous ways.

While the information of policy makers may be more complete (if they take advantage of their access), their analysis is heavily politicized.  Theirs is not a dispassionate analysis, nor can scientific integrity simply defer to their judgment.

As a general comment, I am troubled by what I see as you hiding behind claims of national security, protecting classified information, et al.  As George has pointed out more eloquently than I'm about to do right now, a scientific technique that shies away from peer reviewed scrutiny and critique can't claim to have much scientific integrity.  "Trust us, it works, and we have the supporting data but can't tell you" does not pass scientific muster, even if its concerns are legitimate.

Also troubling is that it strikes a decidedly anti-democratic tone.  Where's the accountability?  Are we to rely on the word of a small group of people who claim that their machine detects lies and protects national security, but when pressed for further elaboration, claim that they can't reveal it on national security grounds, we just have to believe them.  This is dark.  

Thank you for participating in this discussion.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 3:30am
Quote:

My question was: What single screening measure is more effective than the polygraph at catching spies?  As I understand them, these are the replies to date...

beech trees' position seems to be that the polygraph hasn't caught any spy.

Dr. Barland, don't put words in my mouth! I merely asked for actual case evidence in which a spy had been caught by first failing a polygraph.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 4:56am
Quote:

beech trees,

I'm aware of quite a few spies and would-be spies who have been detected by routine security screening polygraph exams.  When I get the time, I would like to list them all.  Until then, let me point you in the direction of a major spy it detected.  This is a copy of a posting I made some time ago on a different list, so my apologies if the format is poor when copied onto this bulletin board.

The role of the polygraph in detecting Harold J. Nicholson's espionage activity is described in the FBI's affidavit in support of complaint, arrest warrant and search warrants located at:
http://www.loyola.edu/dept/politics/intel/nich-aff.html.  The applicable paragraphs are...

Mr. Mallah has already questioned the validity of your proof. I would have to add a healthy degree of doubt as well. There is no indication when the 'computerized review' took place on Mr. Nicholson's polygraph test. I will contact the Special Agent who's sworn affadavit you quote in order to ascertain when the review took place. In the meantime, at least one investigative journalist also bolsters the assertion that you are wrong on whether or not a polygraph exam caught Mr. Nicholson. Susan McCarthy writes in part:

Spies Aldrich Ames and Harold J. Nicholson passed routine CIA polygraph exams. In fact, it's not clear that any spies have ever been caught by polygraph testing. "It's inconceivable that [a spy] won't know how to beat the test," Lykken says. "So the spy won't be caught, and a few innocent people will have their careers ruined, and the secretary of energy will say that we did everything we could. I think it's a scandal."

The complete article is here.

I look forward to other cases you cite that demonstrate a failed polygraph was the precursor to rooting out a spy.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 8:14am
I have started a new thread under "Polygraph Procedure" entitled:

"Did the Polygraph catch Nicholson?"

Dr. Barland suggested it did.  Check out remarks then Director Deutch made after Nicholson's arrest and judge for yourself.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 9:12am
Gordon,

Quote:
2).  George's position is that no screening measure can catch spies.

It would be more correct to say that I am not aware of the existence of any screening measure that is capable of catching (detecting) spies at better than chance levels. This is not to say that no screening measure has any utility in making personnel security determinations. Certainly, such measures as financial record checks, criminal records checks, background investigations, and yes, polygraph interrogations (in the form of admissions obtained from naive subjects who don't understand that polygraphy is a fraud) have some utility.

Your initial characterization of my position regarding polygraphy was more to the point: "If I understand your position correctly, you believe that the polygraph is counterproductive to the national security  because spies can so easily be trained to beat it, it gives a false sense of security to security personnel, and it causes too many false positives."

Quote:
I would point out, however, that you were the first to raise the issue that belief in the polygraph is necessary.  Therefore, I would ask you what evidence you have to support your assertion (in a different thread).

Whether polygraphy depends on a subject's belief in it is germane to the discussion at hand. My understanding of CQT theory is that the expectation that the truthful will respond more strongly to the "control" questions and the deceptive to the relevant questions depends on the subject's belief that deception will be detected, and that the "stim test" is used to reinforce that belief.

In any event, it has been argued that the main utility of polygraph screening is the admissions obtained therefrom. For example, former CIA and DOE counterintelligence chief Edward J. Curran, explaining on the CBS 60 Minutes II segment "Final Exam" what good the polygraph is, after acknowledging that it is not scientific, stated:

Quote:
It's a very, very, effective screening device, because, if people believe that that machine's gonna catch them in the lie, they're more willing to make statements or admissions to you prior to the test, or during the test.

It seems logical to suppose that the subject who doesn't believe in the lie detector will be less likely to make damaging admissions/confessions than the subject who does.

Perhaps if you ever get around to addressing the questions raised in the message thread Theory of CQT-Polygraphy (Attn: Gordon Barland), which you've shrugged of for nearly a year, you could provide a theoretical explanation for why belief in the polygraph does not affect accuracy.

You also stated:

Quote:
Incidentally, that same line of reasoning is why I refuse to discuss how Federal examiners are able to detect some unknowable proportion of people who use countermeasures on the polygraph; that would enable the Williamses, Maschkes and Scalabrinis of the world to improve their advice, which would damage the national security even more.

To what extent does our advice damage the national security? I think you confuse the vested interests of the federal polygraph community with the national interest. It seems to me that public information about countermeasures can only "damage" the national security to the extent that national security officials place any reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy. We've documented some of the damage done to national security by this misplaced reliance in Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. I think that far from damaging national security, our publicly pointing out that the polygraph emperor is naked will ultimately strengthen it.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2002 at 10:40am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2002 at 11:45am
Gordon, 

Some additional comments on other things you wrote...

Quote:
To calculate the polygraph's sensitivity and specificity, we need data on how many spies were examined on the polygraph while they were spying, and what the outcomes of those tests were; and how many non-spies were examined, and the outcome of those exams.

Polygraph examinations are purported to detect deception, not spies per se. What is the sensitivity and specificity of CQT polygraphy for the detection of deception?

You also wrote:

Quote:
...if a person is not a spy, but has knowingly and deliberately mishandled classified information in a significant way which he is deliberately concealing from the examiner, should the polygraph show he is telling the complete truth, or should it show that he is concerned about the relevant issue on the test? I believe this is a source of many claims of a false positive by the poor person caught in that dilemna [sic] and who chooses not to discuss the problem with the examiner when the reactions are brought to his attention.

That must be a very comforting non-falsifiable ad hoc hypothesis for polygraphers whose consciences might otherwise bother them about the innocent people they harm: "Well, if the subject wasn't lying about the relevant questions, he must have been holding back about something." Ed Curran expressed similar thoughts on the CBS 60 Minutes II segment, "Final Exam":
Quote:
People who can't get through a polygraph are not being honest with you. I mean, you've gotta face the fact that that person may be lying.

Where's the proof?

You also wrote:

Quote:
All I can say is that the polygraph has caught many more spies than the critics are aware of.  The policy makers, looking at the cost/benefit information available to them, obviously conclude that the benefits outweigh the costs.  Their information is obviously incomplete as well, but it is likely more complete than that available to the general public.

Edward J. Curran was a policymaker who doubtless had much more complete information than that available to the general public. He was the FBI's senior counterintelligence agent at the time of CIA spy Aldrich Ames' arrest, at which point he was seconded to the CIA, where he took charge of counterintelligence. While at CIA, Curran presided over a polygraph jihad that left hundreds of CIA employees unable to "pass" their polygraph "tests." Later on, Curran headed the Department of Energy's Office of Counterintelligence, where he advocated a greatly expanded polygraph screening program. And yet Edward J. Curran doesn't seem to be aware of any spy who was ever caught by a polygraph screening exam. The following exchange occurred during the CBS 60 Minutes II segment "Final Exam":

Quote:
Pelley: To your knowledge, in a routine screening, of the general population of agents or employees, has a spy ever been caught by a polygraph examination?

Curran: Not that I know of. Fairness to myself, by saying, you know, have you ever caught anybody, well, we haven't really polygraphed everybody either.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
What's more effective than the polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X